Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Lilofan

The article said that 200 people had already made the move. I wasn't aware that many (which isn't a lot of people for a corporation like Disney) had already made the switch.
Chairman Josh advised "options " will be discussed with the 200 cast already relocated from CA to FL . That's doesn't sound so rosy.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Here's the response from the office of the Governor on the cancellation of the Lake Nona project.

Screenshot 2023-05-18 at 4.12.31 PM.png

Comped

I've heard that construction contracts had already been awarded to GCs when Disney cancelled the project. Anyone know is that's 100% confirmed?

SaintsDisneyFan

As an employee with Corporate based out of FL this has me concerned for the future. I am not impacted currently by the Lake Nona announcement, but I do work for a Corporate segment based out of Celebration.

If the DeSantis/Disney battle continues, does the Company look to move more Corporate jobs based in FL to CA or another area? I enjoy working for the Company for the most part but I know for me personally I own a condo here. Unless Disney were to essentially double my pay or more (not going to happen, especially with how the Company is struggling right now across the board except for the Parks, Experiences and Products division) there's no way I'm moving to CA. I would hate to be in a position where I would have to choose either to stay in Florida/quit Disney or stay with Disney/leave Florida.

I guess the other option would be to leave Corporate and go back to the Parks side but wow do I not want to go back to working in the Parks in any fashion, lol.

Definitely feel terrible for the employees who had already moved here. Those 200 employees who had to uproot their lives and potentially their families and all now for nothing. I have a bad feeling that even though the Company will help with their move back to CA, they won't be made whole. Home prices in CA are still crazy and the Company isn't going to buy them their home back. I feel like the best solution will be to let the effected employees work remote from FL for at least 6 months to let them make a decision either way, offer severance to the employees who decide to leave and gives employees who decide to move back to CA at least an additional 6-12 months to complete the move back.

Last edited:

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
This sounds like something right from the Trumps playbook. The failing New York Times... but last I checked, they are still around and he does not hold office. LOL
Come on at least try a little bit.

Disney is not in good shape financially.

Healthy companies don't cut billions in expense and layoff thousands of employees.

Stock Price hasn't been that great either....

Indy_UK

Not surprised to see this nixed

I was expecting the community living projects they announced to get cut too but nothing as of yet

afterabme

Aside from the Reedy Creek issue influencing this, you have to wonder how much was influenced by recruiting.

If they are in Florida, they are pulling from the universities in the south eastern US. No disrespect to those, including UF and Georgia Tech, but they are not the same caliber as schools in the UC system.

afterabme

Also, there was another part of the memo that mentioned for those that had already moved, they would talk to them individually, including about moving back. If those people don’t wanna move back, will Disney let them go? If so, they may create another recruiting situation for Universal Creative, which is based in Orlando.

Universal creative famously hired imagineers who worked on Beastly kingdom.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Statement from Walt Disney World President Jeff Vahle.

Dear Community Leaders,

Today, you may have heard the news that Disney is no longer moving forward on the construction of a new campus in the thriving and growing community of Lake Nona in Orlando. Since we first announced this project, several dynamics have changed, including a change in company leadership and evolving economic and business conditions.

Regarding our world-class destination, our desire is to continue investing in our core business in an effort to attract and welcome millions of visitors to Walt Disney World and Central Florida each year so they can enjoy the kind of hospitality our region is known for around the world. Our plans currently call for us to invest $17 billion in Walt Disney World over the next 10 years and create 13,000 new jobs to continue doing our part as a leading employer in the hospitality and themed entertainment industry. We hope those plans will become a future reality.

For decades, we have operated our business responsibly and being the region’s largest taxpayer, we paid and collected over $1.1 billion in state and local taxes during last year alone.

As the largest single-site employer in Central Florida, we are deeply rooted in this community, and we continue to make investments for the betterment of our region such as our contribution of 80 acres of land to create affordable and attainable housing for our community, which we announced last year. Groundbreaking on this development is targeted for next year, with the first of 1,400 units anticipated to be completed in 2026.

We also continue to invest in our community through our broad array of philanthropic and citizenship efforts. Over the last 20 months, we’ve provided $6.5 million in grants to locally based, non-profit organizations such as Give Kids The World, Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida, Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, Conservation Florida, Heart of Florida United Way, Hope Partnership, The Nature Conservancy and more. This is on top of the donation of millions of hours of time that our Cast Members have contributed to deserving organizations over the decades.

Of course, none of this would be possible without the amazing dedication of the 75,000 Cast Members who call Central Florida their home. To them, we offer the best overall benefits package in the Central Florida hospitality industry, including an $18 minimum wage by the end of the year - which is well above the state’s minimum wage - affordable medical coverage, subsidized childcare, access to free higher education through Disney Aspire our 100% paid tuition programs, and pathways to help Cast at every step of their career.

While today’s decision was not easy, we remain committed to our Cast Members as well as you and our wonderful community.

lazyboy97o

Also, there was another part of the memo that mentioned for those that had already moved, they would talk to them individually, including about moving back. If those people don’t wanna move back, will Disney let them go? If so, they may create another recruiting situation for Universal Creative, which is based in Orlando.

Universal creative famously hired imagineers who worked on Beastly kingdom.
Themed entertainment design is very much project based work. People already moved around between companies.

GrumpyFan

Statement from Walt Disney World President Jeff Vahle.

Dear Community Leaders,

Today, you may have heard the news that Disney is no longer moving forward on the construction of a new campus in the thriving and growing community of Lake Nona in Orlando. Since we first announced this project, several dynamics have changed, including a change in company leadership and evolving economic and business conditions.

Regarding our world-class destination, our desire is to continue investing in our core business in an effort to attract and welcome millions of visitors to Walt Disney World and Central Florida each year so they can enjoy the kind of hospitality our region is known for around the world. Our plans currently call for us to invest $17 billion in Walt Disney World over the next 10 years and create 13,000 new jobs to continue doing our part as a leading employer in the hospitality and themed entertainment industry. We hope those plans will become a future reality.

For decades, we have operated our business responsibly and being the region’s largest taxpayer, we paid and collected over $1.1 billion in state and local taxes during last year alone.

As the largest single-site employer in Central Florida, we are deeply rooted in this community, and we continue to make investments for the betterment of our region such as our contribution of 80 acres of land to create affordable and attainable housing for our community, which we announced last year. Groundbreaking on this development is targeted for next year, with the first of 1,400 units anticipated to be completed in 2026.

We also continue to invest in our community through our broad array of philanthropic and citizenship efforts. Over the last 20 months, we’ve provided $6.5 million in grants to locally based, non-profit organizations such as Give Kids The World, Boys & Girls Clubs of Central Florida, Second Harvest Food Bank of Central Florida, Conservation Florida, Heart of Florida United Way, Hope Partnership, The Nature Conservancy and more. This is on top of the donation of millions of hours of time that our Cast Members have contributed to deserving organizations over the decades.

Of course, none of this would be possible without the amazing dedication of the 75,000 Cast Members who call Central Florida their home. To them, we offer the best overall benefits package in the Central Florida hospitality industry, including an $18 minimum wage by the end of the year - which is well above the state’s minimum wage - affordable medical coverage, subsidized childcare, access to free higher education through Disney Aspire our 100% paid tuition programs, and pathways to help Cast at every step of their career.

While today’s decision was not easy, we remain committed to our Cast Members as well as you and our wonderful community.
Nice, soft positive spin with emphasis on community involvement, and apolitical, at least overtly.
Under the surface though, this is VERY political, and it's the kind of game that I think Disney, led by Iger, is very good at.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom