Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Calmdownnow

Important to recognize that taking Ron out of the Florida picture when/if he announces a Presidential run, does not alter the fact that a lot of the policies that are "unappealing" to Disney and other investors are grounded within the Florida legislative bodies. His departure for a national platform won't alter the perception of the regressive laws being put on the books by others in the State.

Last edited by a moderator:

flynnibus

Premium Member
Cards on the table - as a resident of FL, I want to believe they were already looking for a way to reverses what was already an unpopular decision and that they are shrewdly implying it's our government's fault.

With no insider knowledge, it seems at least possible.

I think it's more about tipping the scales. Not so much 'its this or that' but the sum of it all. The move was never popular from the start for employees. We all saw it as a way for the company to move to a cheaper landscape and thin the herd. This was always a long game for Disney... take the lumps now, bet on the future. Disney management would have no disillusion at all about the popularity of this move. But they were willing to do it for the net outcome.

But since we have it from those posting from within the company it wasn't just unpopular, but basically untenable for most of the high profile imagineers. That makes it hard on the company. Then you get all the culture wars heating up... and lets face reality.. Disney's demographics skew to the at-risk category there. More headwinds. Then you get the CEO change and restructuring.. more headwinds. Now you get the Gov battle direct with the company?

I think at some point, you just stop trying to push the rock up the hill and they stop trying to make Finch happen.

It was always unpopular. We don't know how much internally new leadership and alignment impacted it. But it certainly seems like a mercy killing at this point. Nuke it and move on.

Figgy1

Premium Member
Important to recognize that taking Ron out of the Florida picture when/if he announces a Presidential run, does not alter the fact that a lot of the policies that are "unappealing" to Disney and other investors are grounded within the Florida legislative bodies. His departure for a national platform won't alter the perception of the regressive laws being put on the books by others in the State.
He's not resigning unless he wins

Disstevefan1

Disney has officially cancelled the Lake Nona project.

"In March, Disney called Gov. Ron DeSantis of Florida “anti-business” for his scorched-earth attempt to tighten oversight of the company’s theme park resort near Orlando. Last month, when Disney sued the governor and his allies for what it called “a targeted campaign of government retaliation,” the company made clear that $17 billion in planned investment in Walt Disney World was on the line.

“Does the state want us to invest more, employ more people, and pay more taxes, or not?” Robert A. Iger, Disney’s chief executive, said on an earnings-related conference call with analysts last week.

On Thursday, Mr. Iger and Josh D’Amaro, Disney’s theme park and consumer products chairman, showed that they were not bluffing, pulling the plug on a nearly $1 billion office complex that was scheduled for construction in Orlando. It would have brought more than 2,000 jobs to the region, with $120,000 as the average salary, according to an estimate from the Florida Department of Economic Opportunity.

The project, known as the Lake Nona Town Center, was supposed to involve the relocation of more than 1,000 employees from Southern California, including most of a department known as Imagineering, which works with Disney’s movie studios to develop theme park attractions. Most of the affected employees complained bitterly about having to move — some quit — but Disney largely held firm, partly because of a Florida tax credit that would have allowed the company to recoup as much as $570 million over 20 years for building and occupying the complex."

-----

"Mr. D’Amaro’s tone in an email to employees on Thursday was notably different. He cited “changing business conditions” as a reason for canceling the Lake Nona project. “I remain optimistic about the direction of our Walt Disney World business,” Mr. D’Amaro said in the memo. He noted that $17 billion was still earmarked for construction at Disney World over the next decade — growth that would create an estimated 13,000 jobs. “I hope we’re able to,” he said.

But the company’s battle with Mr. DeSantis and his allies in the Florida Legislature figured prominently into Disney’s decision to cancel the Lake Nona project, according to two people briefed on the matter, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations. A spokeswoman for Mr. Iger said he was not available for an interview.

About 200 Disney employees already relocated to Florida from California. Mr. D’Amaro said in his note that the company would discuss options with them, “including the possibility of moving you back.” The Lake Nona project had initially been scheduled to open next year. Last July, Disney pushed back the move-in date to 2026, citing construction delays."

Full article below.
The stone carvers are getting busy today...
RIP_Nona.jpg

Fordlover

I wouldn't call Disney's dividends a scam but it's not like I was living large on the checks I was getting back in the day so I'm not sure what kind of payout Fordlover has in mind. 🤷‍♂️
i reinvest any dividend payouts I get, but when It was suspended I felt a little like I was getting a pay cut, which doesn’t charge me up too much.🤬

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

I still think Iger should/could have stopped this from ever getting this far (back and forth with DeSantis) as soon as he took office.

Regardless I don’t think this project was ever going to happen anyways. Both sides are just using it against the other
If this were 2010, sure, compromise could have happened. But none of this would ever have begun in 2010.

The governments primary objective in this matter is to inflict publicly visible pain on a culture war enemy. It’s secondary objective is to gain significant control over the content of Disney’s creative output. There are no grounds for compromise on those terms. Pretending otherwise is an attempt to establish the idea that both sides are somehow at fault and thus obfuscate the issue.

jeanericuser001

One thing you should know is people always point the finger at the man in charge. Very few people blame the legislature, despite its bad decisions. Partly it is because people often forget about everyone who is on it but they do remember the governor. He has made little effort to disguise that this fight is his personal battle and a lot of people are taking notice. Now the average person may only see a battle with a big corporation but people with strong financial connections see something else. They see someone abusing their power and causing a potential financial crisis that will aid nobody in the long run. DeSantis needs those people with the strong financial connections if he has any aspirations to go beyond the governor's mansion but so far he has just scuttled a billion dollar investment that likely will send ripples thru the community for the next decade. He may make some friends among the anti disney community but beyond that he just made a lot more enemies than allies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chi84

Premium Member
I still think Iger should/could have stopped this from ever getting this far (back and forth with DeSantis) as soon as he took office.

Regardless I don’t think this project was ever going to happen anyways. Both sides are just using it against the other
I think they're both trying but I'm not seeing any news reports about how Disney's financial failures are causing them to cancel a billion dollar project in Florida.

Smiley/OCD

Imagining a She Hulk resort, with adjustable size beds depending on how you sleep.

If you sleep well and peacefully, your twin bed remains a twin bed.

If you have a rough night, your twin bed will be a king bed with green sheets when you weak up.
I’ve woken up with green sheets, but it had ABSOLUTELY nothing to do with She Hulk…more like kamakazis…a LOT of them…

WDWFanRay

I want to say ... before this spirals... that it probably has little to do with the politics in Florida right now. The move was problematic from an HR perspective and too many people were saying no or pushing out their move dates to find more work. We all assumed that their ultimate goal was trimming personnel from WDI, but I don't believe they imagined so many would flat out say no. Theyve had too many roles left empty and too much uncertainty over training replacements.

Additionally, building a giant new campus in the post COVID world, and for adding capacity after you just laid off 7000, just doesn't make business sense.
Not to mention that when they started planning this almost 6 years ago, Florida was a bargain for Disney, compared to California. No state income tax, low home prices, $8.10 an hour minimum wage, etc. Now home prices are getting close to California (in the Orlando area) and Disney’s paying $18.00 an hour. Not the bargain for Disney anymore. With this announcement today and the Galactic Starcruiser and the 7000 job cuts announced last month, Disney is definitely sharpening their accounting pencil and cutting across the board.

el_super

Disney has entitlements to build another ABC sized tower on the Burbank Lot south of the Buena Vista Gate (the flat lot) and can build a third phase of GC3.

Yeah... and it would be smart to start expanding now while production and headcount is low, but it probably doesn't make much economical sense right now.

I agree 100% that WDW is an afterthought with Imagineering, it's obvious and that's not good.

That's not really a WDI thing... The people who control the money were never going to move to Florida.

MagicHappens1971

This "Disney is a sinking ship" narrative is very interesting to hear from many. The company was sinking under Chapek, Iger took the company back over, restructured, and is cutting their inflated costs by consolidating divisions and laying people off. Parks revenue was 7.8B for Q2, with a total of a 13% increase in revenue for the whole company.

Streaming is what is costing the company money.

MagicHappens1971

On a semi-related note, I wonder if they will announce something "new" for WDW sometime soon. I know we could believe they canceled Lake Nona as it was the easiest way to "harm" FL without really harming themselves. With that being said, they can't let growth stagnate at the parks because of DeSantis.

They need some positive news, in my opinion, now would be a good time to drop those plans for Beyond Big Thunder or Moana/Zootopia for DAK.

Figgy1

Premium Member
On a semi-related note, I wonder if they will announce something "new" for WDW sometime soon. I know we could believe they canceled Lake Nona as it was the easiest way to "harm" FL without really harming themselves. With that being said, they can't let growth stagnate at the parks because of DeSantis.

They need some positive news, in my opinion, now would be a good time to drop those plans for Beyond Big Thunder or Moana/Zootopia for DAK.
Instagramable cupcake announced in 3, 2........................................

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom