Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

DCBaker

Premium Member
"An entity related to Burbank, California-based The Walt Disney Co. — Orlando's largest employer — has purchased nearly 60 acres in southeast Orlando for its future Lake Nona campus as it relocates 2,000 jobs to Central Florida.

Dynamic Campus LLC, an entity related to Disney, spent roughly $46 million on nearly 60 acres in Lake Nona, or roughly $766,666 an acre, according to Orange County records. Lake Nona Land Co. LLC, an entity related to Lake Nona developer Tavistock Development Co., was the seller.

Representatives with Disney and Tavistock weren't available for comment.

The property is north of Lake Nona Boulevard, south of State Road 417, west of the Lake Nona Town Center and east of Medical City Drive.

Office real estate experts tell OBJ the property may be able to support 1 million square feet of office space, which could support roughly 6,600 jobs, based on industry standards. An official size of the headquarters is not known.

A good comparison may be KPMG's recently built Lakehouse training center in Lake Nona: the 55-acre campus supports a 780,000-square-foot building.

"That number can much higher if the developers bring into consideration a parking garage," said office real estate expert Gary Gagnon, president of Orlando-based real estate firm Gagnon International Consulting Services, who is not involved in the deal.

Experts and sources previously told OBJ this may be the first step for the Burbank, California-based entertainment giant (NYSE: DIS) in a larger relocation to the southeast Orlando master-planned community."

More below -

Lilofan

"An entity related to Burbank, California-based The Walt Disney Co. — Orlando's largest employer — has purchased nearly 60 acres in southeast Orlando for its future Lake Nona campus as it relocates 2,000 jobs to Central Florida.

Dynamic Campus LLC, an entity related to Disney, spent roughly $46 million on nearly 60 acres in Lake Nona, or roughly $766,666 an acre, according to Orange County records. Lake Nona Land Co. LLC, an entity related to Lake Nona developer Tavistock Development Co., was the seller.

Representatives with Disney and Tavistock weren't available for comment.

The property is north of Lake Nona Boulevard, south of State Road 417, west of the Lake Nona Town Center and east of Medical City Drive.

Office real estate experts tell OBJ the property may be able to support 1 million square feet of office space, which could support roughly 6,600 jobs, based on industry standards. An official size of the headquarters is not known.

A good comparison may be KPMG's recently built Lakehouse training center in Lake Nona: the 55-acre campus supports a 780,000-square-foot building.

"That number can much higher if the developers bring into consideration a parking garage," said office real estate expert Gary Gagnon, president of Orlando-based real estate firm Gagnon International Consulting Services, who is not involved in the deal.

Experts and sources previously told OBJ this may be the first step for the Burbank, California-based entertainment giant (NYSE: DIS) in a larger relocation to the southeast Orlando master-planned community."

More below -

I'm amazed just a number of years ago Lake Nona was alligator swamp land and now on approach to the MCO airport runways one can see from the airplane seat is a town of homes, condos, and a town built in just several years.

Mouse Trap

Was just going to post that too.

This move (the shift to FL) is really sending a rift internally.

And just scratching the surface. A large amount will relocate, but a large amount also won't and will try to transfer elsewhere or just straight up leave like Kevin did.

Most won't post a big goodbye either. It's been maybe two weeks now since I saw 10+ year Imagineer say he was leaving Disney for another entertainment company on LinkedIn and there was hardly a goodbye outside of "So excited to tell stories at _____"

trainplane3

And just scratching the surface. A large amount will relocate, but a large amount also won't and will try to transfer elsewhere or just straight up leave like Kevin did.

Most won't post a big goodbye either. It's been maybe two weeks now since I saw 10+ year imagineer leave Disney for another entertainment company on LinkedIn and there was hardly a goodbye outside of "So excited to tell stories at _____"
I've heard rough numbers on the split of these moves and it's pretty surprising. While WDI will be the one that people will hear the most about, it's quite literally every area being looked at.

No one is safe with this.

"Okay, you've been with us for 15+ years. Can you work from Florida 51% of the time?"
No
"Alright, so your last day is XYZ."

Disney Analyst

I've heard rough numbers on the split of these moves and it's pretty surprising. While WDI will be the one that people will hear the most about, it's quite literally every area being looked at.

"Okay, you've been with us for 15+ years. Can you work from Florida 51% of the time?"
No

My real question what kind of talent are they letting go, what quality of talent?

Will Imagineering forever be changed? If a lot of those who worked with some of the greats all stay behind, it will be a very new, green, imagineering.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

No
I know nothing…

…what I want to learn is the real reasons behind this? Not conspiracies…just what the goals are. Stated and the common sense actual.

please don’t belittle yourselves (anyone) and say “taxes”. Don’t need the reality tv nonsense

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My real question what kind of talent are they letting to, quality of that talent. Will Imagineering forever be changed? If a lot of those who worked with some of the greats all stay behind, it will be a very new, green, imagineering.
It also will deliver the talent (potential) into the lions den.

Comcast is crappy and likes to underpay people in general…
…but they have shown that they prioritize that overpaying (slightly) to acquire creatives and technical is a good play.

it’s easier to fleece in Florida.

trainplane3

I know nothing…

…what I want to learn is the real reasons behind this? Not conspiracies…just what the goals are. Stated and the common sense actual.

please don’t belittle yourselves (anyone) and say “taxes”. Don’t need the reality tv nonsense
I didn't poke enough but part of it is to thin the employee base.

Or as another former WDI'er would say:

castlecake2.0

I know nothing…

Doesnt everything always boil down to money? What else could it be other than savings?

ChrisM

I know nothing…

Perhaps partially a play to reign in (the seemingly out of control) Imagineering costs?

lazyboy97o

There is usually a wave of mass layoffs after major projects conclude, so this isn’t that new in a sense. The top people stick around, and the hundreds of others who worked on the wave of projects are let go.

rinse and repeat.
A lot of those people aren’t really lay offs as they were project hires. A big project also didn’t just end. This is different.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
From an imagineer:

Real Housewives Tata GIF by Slice

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom