Original Muppets Show

barnum42

CThaddeus said:
After watching Martin's tribute video a few months ago, I was stunned to learn Meet the Muppets even existed. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and was impressed the actually spent the money to create characters with moving mouths. I wish Disney would do this more. I loved how the Rafiki in Legend of the Lion King moved its mouth when it talked, and I think shows like Beauty and the Beast would be so much more effective if the non-human character moved their mouths,too.
I'm sure it all comes down to money. An inarticulate head has worked for decades, so the bean counters will see no need to change that.

I suspect the Muppet costumes back then had been developed by the Jim Henson group - used to creating such outfits via Muppet Workshop.

There are still couple of costumes in the parks with opening mouths - Sweetums in Muppet Vision 3D and Bear in the Big Blue House. Both Muppet creations.

dolbyman

uhh don't say anything about the ninja (european=hero) turtles ..

they rocked... I got all autographs in MGM .. back in 1992... when I was 10years old :lol:

also bought a transforming michelangelo back then .. it was a toy that came out a year later out in germany ... I felt so cool with it :cool:

I completely forgot about the ninja turtles show. I saw when I was about five when I was obsessed with the turtle. I remeber waiting forever for the show with my dad.

BTW, did u ever find a video of Muppet Vision??

VacationMan

FYI: One of the Backstreet Boys was one of the Turtles (In costume) in its heyday. Just a tidbit from a relative that was one of the Managers at the time.

Slippin' Falls said:
I completely forgot about the ninja turtles show. I saw when I was about five when I was obsessed with the turtle. I remeber waiting forever for the show with my dad.

BTW, did u ever find a video of Muppet Vision??

Cmdr_Crimson

shaelyn said:
The most exciting thing was MOVING MOUTHS! Oh, they need more of these.

They do...those costumes have gotta be really old tho. They are probably the same company that does many of the "LIVE" tour shows called Vee Corporation. I can recall Muppet Babies LIVE and the ever popular Sesame Street LIVE tours. So somewhere at the time the Muppet show was popular they may have done a LIVE tour across the US before disney took the muppets.

KaliSplash

The Muppets Show was a real addition to the Disney MGM Studios at the time. As has been pointed out, the park sorely needed things to do.

I don't remember it being a great show, but the Monorail at the end was a great kicker (Sort of like the ending up in 'you-know-where' in Mr. Toad's Wild Ride)
It was the ending of those two rides that made the attractions worth it.

As for the Teen-age Mutant Ninja Turtle Meet & Greet, it was one of those rare times in my family when we actually remembered to bring and USE a camera. (OF course, my 5 year old and 3 year old boys loved it ((April was kind of cute, too!))

Cynderella

Wow that muppets show was pretty bad......I have no memory of that at all which is not a bad thing......though Ninja Turtles were freakin awesome when they were there. I remember getting their autograph's and they had stamps and me and my brother and sister thought that was so cool. When I look back at it now it's like..wait..why were they there? Of course I still dont know why the heck the Power Rangers are there now. I'd rather them bring back the Turtles than the stupid Power Rangers.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
KaliSplash said:
I don't remember it being a great show, but the Monorail at the end was a great kicker !

Being pedantic, but the Monorail was near the beginning; it brought Dr. Teeth and the Electric Mayhem on stage.

SirGoofy

Never blaspheme against the turtles. NEVER!!!!!!!!!!:fork:

But back to the point, I don't think I had ever seen HCTM. Looked like a cute show to tide people over when MGM first opened.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
SirGoofy said:
Looked like a cute show to tide people over when MGM first opened.
Indeed it was. The show wasn`t planned; MGM was a roaring (pun intended) success and expansion rushed forwards. This show was a stop gap measure, along with others around the time. It opened May 25th 1990, in the original Dailies Theatre that the walking tour terminated in for it`s first year of operation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom