Original Alice in Wonderland Ride

Okee68

@Rich T As Brer Panther pointed out, what PlywoodBailey was asking about was the bizarre appearance of the Witch's "face" in that photo, as frankly it seems to have been sanded off, and her hair is entirely contained within her hood for some reason instead of sagging below it. I was utterly perplexed when the picture was discovered, and I still haven't come up with a good explanation as to why the face looks the way it does there.

Last edited:

Rich T

@Rich T As Brer Panther pointed out, what PlywoodBailey was asking about was the bizarre appearance of the Witch's "face" in that photo, as frankly it seems to have been sanded off, and her hair is entirely contained within her hood for some reason instead of sagging below it. I was utterly perplexed when the picture was discovered, and I still haven't come up with a good explanation as to why the face looks the way it does there.
I honestly think it’s just a not-ideally-exposed photo of a small scale and somewhat off-model figure. I remember this witch figure as being the least impressive or detailed on the ride. Its job was to pop out the door and shove an apple at you. I could be wrong, maybe there is something more-wrong-than-usual going on in this photo, but even at its best, this figure was unimpressive.

Okee68

I honestly think it’s just a not-ideally-exposed photo of a small scale and somewhat off-model figure. I remember this witch figure as being the least impressive or detailed on the ride. Its job was to pop out the door and shove an apple at you. I could be wrong, maybe there is something more-wrong-than-usual going on in this photo, but even at its best, this figure was unimpressive.
It's incredibly bizarre all around. Even in this extremely blurry view from that 1980 souvenir film, you can make out the Witch's cheeks, jaw, and left eye, and her face isn't restricted to a narrow slit between her hair, which in this shot actually hangs below her hood as it should. The Witch's face in the photo PlywoodBailey posted is basically just a featureless mess of flesh.

Attachments

• door.png
    door.png
    347 KB · Views: 175

Okee68

I can see the absolute vaguest semblances imaginable of a nose and eyes, but this is probably completely inaccurate.
1.png

Sharon&Susan

It's incredibly bizarre all around. Even in this extremely blurry view from that 1980 souvenir film, you can make out the Witch's cheeks, jaw, and left eye, and her face isn't restricted to a narrow slit between her hair, which in this shot actually hangs below her hood as it should. The Witch's face in the photo PlywoodBailey posted is basically just a featureless mess of flesh.
I wouldn't be surprised if someone in maintenance messed that witch up near the end of the ride's run and no one bothered fixing it knowing everything was going to be thrown away soon. After all the original version of Snow White was well known for CMs "experimenting" with ride elements like the famous "Witch's Cottage" sign or even having a green witch in there.

Okee68

I wouldn't be surprised if someone in maintenance messed that witch up near the end of the ride's run and no one bothered fixing it knowing everything was going to be thrown away soon. After all the original version of Snow White was well known for CMs "experimenting" with ride elements like the famous "Witch's Cottage" sign or even having a green witch in there.
The faceless Witch is from the sixties.

Clover Bailey

There was a green witch?

Clover Bailey

I'm curious, is there any images or descriptions of the Boulder scene in the original ride besides the one E-Ticket photo? It's easily the least documented of any scene in opening day Fantasyland.

RedzRobinz

Thanks! 😊 On the original ride, the Witch appeared in the doorway of the Dwarfs’ cottage—pretty much in the same spot as the reworked cottage in tbe 1983 version—holding an apple that had to be constantly replaced, as it was apparently within reach of long-armed guests. In the pre-opening publicity for New Fantasyland, the Imagineers said they’d solved the problem by creating a holographic apple that guests could reach for, only to grasp thin air. Sounded like a great illusion! And we all know how it turned out...😃
Hey there! I heard about you on a discord server then I discovered this thread and though this would a fun discussion to tag along in. So yeah I was the one who discovered the live-audio recordings and it seems you have good knowledge of the original Fantasyland dark rides. I have a whole thread about Vintage Live-audio recordings of Disneyland as it is a topic I'm very obsessed with at the moment and was able to find them on the Window to the Magic podcast and they were all made by Magic Joe which I consider a legend regarding vintage Disneyland stuff and I cannot stop talking about him. The man has years worth of audio, photos, and film of things so he deserves all the credit and resepect. As of now I'm trying to find vintage recordings of It's a Small World as that's my favorite ride and it has has some changes over the years with it's audio. But yeah your descriptions of the audio in the dark rides made it easy to detect if the recordings were actually the rides themselves!

DLR92

The ride also used to have the upside down chair scene from the film:

2010pc1.jpg

Here are some other photos of the original ride:
alice1.jpg

alice2.jpg

original+alice+ride+tea+party+600.jpg

None of these are in the attraction now.

All of the dark rides at Disneyland are creepy and scary, besides Peter Pan and maybe Alice, but even Alice gives me the creeps sometimes. Alice in Wonderland itself is a very strange and odd story.
The room where everything is upside down is pretty cool. I wish they retain that feature in modern Alice.

Clover Bailey

Snow White's Enchanted Wish:

In my opinion the update is nowhere near as good as the 1983 version. The pacing is too rushed, there's too much screens that don't blend in with the sets, and the scenes have too much going on to take in everything. The new cliff scene is especially awful.

Inspired Figment

I can see the absolute vaguest semblances imaginable of a nose and eyes, but this is probably completely inaccurate.View attachment 547912
Honestly.. what I see is.. her eyes are more towards the top near the fold in the hood, I see her nose right underneath it (though very blurry) along with her lips underneath that. And the white lining the hood is most likely her hair (basically it’s positioned wrong due to maintenance folks messing around or simply a lack of care of how she looks) . Due to the exposure of the camera along with the timing.. the details in her eyes are completely blurred, but yeah. Neat photo, still!
013A46E2-1D05-42AB-8EF8-7D93EF0C02DD.jpeg

Last edited:

Miru

Snow White's Enchanted Wish:

In my opinion the update is nowhere near as good as the 1983 version. The pacing is too rushed, there's too much screens that don't blend in with the sets, and the scenes have too much going on to take in everything. The new cliff scene is especially awful.

I’d consider it a completely new attraction, given the tone shift.

Anyways, I really like the 1958 Alice recreation, and feel like there should be more such recreations.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom