Original Alice in Wonderland Ride

180º

The unthinkable has just happened. Some absolute mad lad who goes by "redzrobinz" on Discord has discovered all of the other dark ride recordings by MagicJoeJ: the remaining three rides plus one additional recording of Alice. I've uploaded all of them to YouTube for your listening pleasure.

Amazing! As I suspected, the “Fire, Mr. Smee!” Sounds very similar to what you hear above Neverland in Florida to this day. Seems Hook and Smee had more lines to go with it at Disneyland.

There is so little to Snow White and it creeps me out all the more. 😧

Okee68

The second Alice recording is proof that the March Hare and Mad Hatters' yells of, "Move down, move down, move down!" would indeed overlap with the vocal section of the Unbirthday Song, for anyone who was wondering.

Sharon&Susan

The unthinkable has just happened. Some absolute mad lad who goes by "redzrobinz" on Discord has discovered all of the other dark ride recordings by MagicJoeJ: the remaining three rides plus one additional recording of Alice. I've uploaded all of them to YouTube for your listening pleasure.

I've heard before that Ginny Taylor replaced the original (unknown) witch's voice in around '65. Since the witch's cackle is the same one as heard in 40 Pounds of Trouble, I wonder if this means that they were recorded for 40 Pounds first and inserted into the ride later or the rumor is flat out false.

Okee68

I've heard before that Ginny Taylor replaced the original (unknown) witch's voice in around '65. Since the witch's cackle is the same one as heard in 40 Pounds of Trouble, I wonder if this means that they were recorded for 40 Pounds first and inserted into the ride later or the rumor is flat out false.
That comes from KenNetti, although I haven't seen any hard evidence to support this. The Witch could very well be voiced by Ginny Tyler in the 1972 recording (this is likely, considering she voiced the Witch in the WDW ride), and if this is the case then it's almost guaranteed that she re-dubbed whoever did the original 1950s voice at some point during the 1960s, but I don't know how accurate the specific year of 1965 is. With no real evidence pointing to a 1965 re-dub, I would say 1961 is more likely assuming a re-dub even occurred to begin with, as that's when the Yale Gracey updates were made.

Okee68

I'm still well within the process of dissecting the Toad recording, so here's every audio reel I've been able to make out:
>The Merrily Song (Queue/Toad Hall)
>Cop whistle #1
>Oncoming automobile
>Crickets and owls
>Motorcycle siren/motorcar brake (possibly two separate reels)
>Brick wall crash
>Cop whistle #2
>Crossing bells (which sound more like a fire alarm)
>Train whistle
>Oncoming train
>Train collision (The engine and collision sounds were separate reels in the WDW ride, so they probably were here as well.)
>Cackling devils

It's hard to say whether or not there's anything else to be heard when you don't have a nearly complete idea of what to listen for to begin with, as was the case with the Alice audio. There are several low-pitched "rumbling" sounds heard along the village street which I can't attribute to anything in particular. Additionally, I've considered the possibility of there having been a sound effect for the stack of kegs toppling over in the warehouse, but the tape is so muffled that I can't even tell if I'm hearing a unique sound effect in that part of the recording or not.

Last edited:

Clover Bailey

This new Alice recording is much nicer than the first one, a lot crisper and clearer.

But still, like I said I just don't like the sound of these old rides. It's awesome to finally hear what they sounded like in their original forms, but good lord the 1983 refurbs were necessary. Peter Pan sounds nice but Snow White is just... so empty and chilling.

Okee68

This new Alice recording is much nicer than the first one, a lot crisper and clearer.

But still, like I said I just don't like the sound of these old rides. It's awesome to finally hear what they sounded like in their original forms, but good lord the 1983 refurbs were necessary. Peter Pan sounds nice but Snow White is just... so empty and chilling.
The alternate Alice recording is a lot more clear overall, but for some reason it doesn't pick up certain bits of audio (such as I'm Late and Golden Afternoon) as well as the other one, probably just due to the physical position of the tape recorder. That's not to mention the distorted pitch, the mis-timed screaming doors, and the fact that Magic Joe's parents were continuously trying to prevent a baby from crying throughout the entire recording.

It's kind of a mess compared to the perfectly average recording we already had, although it does contain a few neat nuances such as the Hatter and Hares' move-downs actually overlapping with the Unbirthday Song vocals just as we had speculated.

Okee68

It's kind of funny how Mr. Toad originally had a loop of chirping crickets and owl hoots emanating from the area surrounding Ratty's cottage, whereas the same area in the current ride is completely silent. So despite how utterly crude the ride's audio was prior to 1983, there was in fact one solitary detail to it which upped the sound design of the revamp. Even before the recording surfaced I thought it was odd that there weren't any ambient sounds filling the air in that particular part of the attraction, because it really does sound weirdly empty.

Okee68

I've brought this up in the description of my Toad upload and in the video's comments, but I'll bring it up here as well. I'm sure some of you have noticed, but a handful of the audio reels heard in the vintage recording were also used for the 1971 WDW version of Mr. Toad - these being the vocal version of The Merrily Song heard in the loading queue and Toad Hall, the loop of chirping crickets and owl hoots, the oncoming train and collision, and the cackling devils*.

With no further information, it's basically impossible to determine whether these specific audio reels were already in use prior to WDW, or if they were added at some point during the 1970s to mirror the audio used for Florida's Mr. Toad. What really makes this question so difficult is the fact that the recording has no date, so it could have been captured anywhere from 1968 (when Magic Joe first started recording Disneyland audio) to the late 1970s (considering the same muffled quality of the '77 Peter Pan recording). So regarding the question of when exactly these "shared" audio reels were placed into California's Mr. Toad, I've come up with four different scenarios:

The lamest scenario: The audio was produced for the WDW ride and added to the California ride at some point after the Florida version opened.

The second-lamest (and least likely) scenario: The audio was produced for the WDW ride but was added to the California ride shortly before WDW opened.

The second-best scenario: The audio both predates WDW and was not produced for it to begin with, but some of the reels may or may not date to California's 1961 mini-overhaul.

The best scenario: All of the audio heard in the recording is original 1955 material.

*The audio for the laughing devils was identical across both rides, except for the fact that the California version lacked the familiar low-pitched Satan laugh and slight distortion effect of the Florida audio. This implies that Florida's hell audio was actually an edited variant of the California audio, which presumably means that the California audio came first. For me, this is enough evidence to suggest that all of the audio in question here was used for the Disneyland ride first.

If Rich T. ever visits this thread again, I would love to hear his thoughts on this, and whether or not anything in the recording conflicts with his own memories of how the ride sounded.

mickEblu

This concept art makes me wonder what an Alice in Wonderland E ticket would be like. Perhaps something like MMRR but with more physical sets, props and AAs and less of an emphasis on screens. I’d love to feel like I’m in Wonderland at the scale felt in the concept art for the Alice walk through. Obviously not at Disneyland but for any other castle parks around the world that could use a dark ride.

I’m imagining being in the Walrus / fish shack scene as the room changes from day to night.

9A2E996E-90EE-41F6-906D-E092213D2772.jpeg

Brer Panther

This concept art makes me wonder what an Alice in Wonderland E ticket would be like. Perhaps something like MMRR but with more physical sets, props and AAs and less of an emphasis on screens. I’d love to feel like I’m in Wonderland at the scale felt in the concept art for the Alice walk through. Obviously not at Disneyland but for any other castle parks around the world that could use a dark ride.

I’m imagining being in the Walrus / fish shack scene as the room changes from day to night.

View attachment 541523
I would love it if the Magic Kingdom got a dark ride like this.

Okee68

More on that mysterious rumbling sound at 0:46 in the Toad recording: Does anyone know what this could possibly be?

Notice how the sound abruptly cuts off for some reason before abruptly jolting back in a few seconds later. If it weren't for this, I would assume the sound was used for the breakaway construction barricade in the village. The motorcars have always entered Toad Hall at a standard interval of eleven seconds, and I think I can faintly make out the same rumbling sound beginning at 0:34 or 0:35 (roughly eleven seconds prior to when you can first hear it legitimately), but the "second half" of the rumbling is impossible to make out due to the sound of the oncoming train bleeding through the wall just in time. There's also the very likely possibility that the sound was played on a continuous loop as opposed to having been trigger-activated.

Attachments

• Mr. Toad barricade, 1976.jpg
    Mr. Toad barricade, 1976.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 118

Mudkip55333

In the Parks
Yes
Here the fantasyland dark rides but themed Fariy-type Pokemon:
Hatterene (Snow White): you enters into a mine with various Carbink, then encounters a Grimmsnarl trying to kill you and finishes with a bolt killing it.
Togetic (Peter Pan): you fly in a nursery with a Togepi inside it, then you fly into London and Neverland and finishes with a Granbull and a Snubbull trying to fire the ship.
Spritzee and Swirlix (Mr Toad): you enters a hall with Spritzee in front of you and Swirlix in a desk, then you find numerous Pokemon trying to capture the car, and finishes in the hell with some demonic Pokemon.
For the Alice in Wonderland ride, idk what pokemon is here...

VicariousCorpse

Hatterene (Snow White): you enters into a mine with various Carbink, then encounters a Grimmsnarl trying to kill you and finishes with a bolt killing it.
Togetic (Peter Pan): you fly in a nursery with a Togepi inside it, then you fly into London and Neverland and finishes with a Granbull and a Snubbull trying to fire the ship.
Spritzee and Swirlix (Mr Toad): you enters a hall with Spritzee in front of you and Swirlix in a desk, then you find numerous Pokemon trying to capture the car, and finishes in the hell with some demonic Pokemon.
That's uh a.... unique take you got there.

Okee68

not so shire.png

wat

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom