Orange/Green Team - Stanza XIII: The Carnival of the Animators

D Hulk

Random ideas, all for Sunset Blvd

QS Restaurant - Randy’s Donuts

TS Restauant - Inspired by The Magic Castle, a dinner club for magicians. Houdini a founding member. Closeup live magic at tables and on stage.

Ride - Replica of Griffith Park Merry-Go-Round, where Walt got the idea for Disneyland

pixie_princess

When did the Sci-Fi Dine In and the Primetime Cafe open? And where are those located in the park? Think those are both worth keeping around.

Also, my work adventures today have me going to the actual Hollywood today, so I’ll be looking around for inspiration.

Neither are really super worth keeping. I don't know when they opened but Primetime is on the left across from Sunset near Indy almost, and sci fi is kinda behind Star Tours if memory serves right (This is the park I remember least about)

DisneyFan18

Note that I'm going fully Blue Sky at the moment, just throwing out tons of ideas to see what we like.

Sunset Boulevard / Hollywood Hills
Land Theme
: 1940s-50s; Residential hills overlooking Hollywood (Hollywood Sign, Griffith Park, etc.)
Attraction Ideas: Tower of Terror
Beauty & the Beast Live on Stage
(possible retheme to a vintage Hollywood musical revue)
Trackless dark ride - celeb mansion / enchanted projector (tent. name: Villa Vortex)
Rocketeer coaster or flight sim (located in Griffith Observatory)
TBD Nightmare Before Christmas attraction (set in Hollywood Cemetery alongside TOT)
Streetmosphere (on location film shoots, maybe in the slapstick silent style)

Maroon Studios
Theme: Roger Rabbit studios where famous toons perform
Attraction Ideas: Roger Rabbit’s Car Toon Spin (clone from Disneyland)
Ink & Paint Club (show venue using “Musion” projected cartoon characters)
Red Car Trolley (transportation ride to nearby lands)
The Terminal Bar (restaurant, a speakeasy alongside the Red Car station)
The Magic of Disney Animation (existing attraction, real live animation studio)
Mickey Mouse dark ride (Fantasyland style, ride through Mickey filming his famous shorts)
Additional similar dark rides? (for other famous Disney stars)

L.A. Noire (not final name)
Theme: Noir, pulpy downtown Los Angeles (1920s-40s)
Attraction Ideas: Richard Tracy’s Crime Stoppers (EMV thrill dark ride)
Drag race thrill ride (1940s hot rod culture + the "chickie run" from Rebel Without a Cause)
El Train roller coaster (more gangster craziness)
Chinatown attraction (discover mythic Chinese creatures living in Chinatown's hidden recesses)
"Tail of the Pup" restaurant

Muppet City
: Streets of America area slightly rethemed
Theme: The Muppets’ neighborhood in Hollywood
Attraction Ideas: MuppetVision 3D (existing centerpiece)The Great Muppet Movie Ride (interactive dark ride, guests control a movie camera rig)
Various Muppets’ homes (walkthroughs with interactive elements including a “Turtle Talk” style Fozzie)
Great Gonzo flying spinner (if we need a spinner)
Swedish Chef’s restaurant
Electric Mayhem show venue (@AceAstro has more)

Star Wars Land (not final name)
Location: Echo Lake area rethemed to Tatoine, entry through a soundstage for transition
Theme: Harry Potter
Attraction Ideas: Star Tours (still here)
Jabba’s Stunt Show (Indy Stunt Show rethemes to a battle over the Sarlacc pit)
Pod Racers thrill ride (coaster, or Test Track)
Cantina (restaurant and show venue)
Live streetmosphere involving Jedi and Storm Troopers

Indiana Jones Land (not final name)
Theme: Indy & the City of Atlantis
Attraction Ideas: Indy Atlantis E-ticket (ride type TBD)
Temple of Peril coaster clone (that’s a lame ride, but it’s realistic)
Archaeological ruins playground (Tom Sawyer Island quality)
Big old lagoon where a Fantasmic-style show can happen
Etc?
This is more or less the vision I have, the only other things I had in mind where:
Mary Poppins Land
Theme: One of Walt Disney’s most beloved classics, Mary Poppins
Attraction Ideas:
Jolly Holiday a omnimover in which your vehicles are the Carousel Horses, the attraction takes through an adventure with Mary Poppins and Bert!
Mary Poppins M&G meet Mary Poppins, take a picture with her, and more.

Alien Attraction
: Unsure maybe where Frozen the musical currently is?
Theme: Alien
Attraction: You’re in a Space Base, then ExtraTERRORestrial happens in the pre show, and you must hunt the alien through a destroyed space base in a Shooting Gallery Ride, however, it seems like you’re actually the prey and not the hunter...

Voxel

President of Progress City
Alien Attraction
: Unsure maybe where Frozen the musical currently is?
Theme: Alien
Attraction: You’re in a Space Base, then ExtraTERRORestrial happens in the pre show, and you must hunt the alien through a destroyed space base in a Shooting Gallery Ride, however, it seems like you’re actually the prey and not the hunter...
I like this idea, would we put this more into a Horror section or maybe a section that has more backlot elements to blend it in with with theme of the park.

DisneyFan18

Quick question for Indy. How do we get to Atlantis? This isn’t just some city or temple reclaimed by the jungle or desert. It sank beneath the sea.
We take a Submarine! We're thinking of using the concept for the Atlantis Ride that never was at DLR, you're on an island, enter the queue, then the submarine takes you to Atlantis, a little bit more of queue, then the ride, whose system is undecided as of now.

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, Indy with a lake is cool, but having a Fantasmic type show in an Indiana Jones area seems wrong. Like it doesn't fit. And I am still strongly against the idea of cutting the Backlot tour. It was the signature attraction of the park. Especially back then. The park was built around that and the Great Movie Ride. It can definitely be cut down a bit, but cutting it when the park hasn't even been open a decade would be like cutting Horizons for Epcot's fifth anniversary. MGM wouldn't even be here if not for the desire to rip off the universal tram tour.

So, how about this...

0W527SD.png

Sunset Boulevard (1920s Hollywood)
: Purple boxes, where present day Sunset Blvd is
Theme: 1920s Hollywood. From the glitz and glamour, the seedy underbelly, the haunted hotels, and the classic films
Attraction Ideas:
Gangster Ride A trolley ride or something themed to gangsters and back alleys. Possibly inspired by the Richard Tracy ride that never was. Preferably noIP as Richard Tracy was seen as a critical and commercial failure that audiences didn't like which is why the ride wasn't built in the first place.
Jazz Club and/or Speak Easy Restaurant
Silent film inspired outdoor show
. Basically a Slapstick streetmosphere with sets and props built into the facades of the area
Trackless Ride or Nightmare Before Christmas. some other attraction either entered through Hollywood graveyard at the base of Tower of Terror or the trackless Ride. Just some added experience.

expanded animation area/maroon studios
: orange on map. Animation courtyard connecting to where current day Rockin Rollercoaster is taking up that spot
Theme: Too Studios type thing. Dedicated to animation. Maybe some Roger Rabbit
Attraction Ideas:
Fantasmic like show
Get rid of the Playhouse Disney theater and some other stuff there that is expandable and you can make a lake HERE that is big enough for a Fantasmic level show. And thematically it makes a lot more sense here connected to the animation area, sunset Blvd, and the hub than it does over in an Indy area in the back of the park.

Hot Sets

Location from Star Tours up through NY street
theme A series of sets in Soundstages. The Soundstages are all just wall that serve as entries into immersive themed lands based on movies.
areas Star Wars Land around Star Tours. The Backlot Express can become the cantina and we can build out into the parking lot to make a Pod Racing ride.
Muppets Manhattan. This can take over the area around Muppet Vision. The Muppets take Manhattan as the vague theme allows us to reuse the NY Street stuff. Retheme Mama Melrose to Swedish Chef and retheme Pizza Planet before it even opens. Maybe add an extra attraction. Could be very cheap.
Mary Poppins Land. Have the Jolly Holiday dark ride for families and maybe a carousel. This takes place where the hunchback show was. Maybe add a Poppins stage show instead of a dark ride to use that theater.
Bug's Life. This takes over the Honey I shrunk the kid's. Maybe just add a flat ride or two. Perhaps Heimlichs Chew Chew Train can be here before DCA. Again, keep it very cheap

If we want one more, Sounds Dangerous/Doug Live can be eaten up by a compact coaster to create an Indy area around Echo Lake.

Last edited:

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Alright, Indy with a lake is cool, but having a Fantasmic type show in an Indiana Jones area seems wrong. Like it doesn't fit. And I am still strongly against the idea of cutting the Backlot tour. It was the signature attraction of the park. Especially back then. The park was built around that and the Great Movie Ride. It can definitely be cut down a bit, but cutting it when the park hasn't even been open a decade would be like cutting Horizons for Epcot's fifth anniversary. MGM wouldn't even be here if not for the desire to rip off the universal tram tour.

So, how about this...

0W527SD.png

Sunset Boulevard (1920s Hollywood)
: Purple boxes, where present day Sunset Blvd is
Theme: 1920s Hollywood. From the glitz and glamour, the seedy underbelly, the haunted hotels, and the classic films
Attraction Ideas:
Gangster Ride A trolley ride or something themed to gangsters and back alleys. Possibly inspired by the Richard Tracy ride that never was. Preferably noIP as Richard Tracy was seen as a critical and commercial failure that audiences didn't like which is why the ride wasn't built in the first place.
Jazz Club and/or Speak Easy Restaurant
Silent film inspired outdoor show
. Basically a Slapstick streetmosphere with sets and props built into the facades of the area
Trackless Ride or Nightmare Before Christmas. some other attraction either entered through Hollywood graveyard at the base of Tower of Terror or the trackless Ride. Just some added experience.

expanded animation area/maroon studios
: orange on map. Animation courtyard connecting to where current day Rockin Rollercoaster is taking up that spot
Theme: Too Studios type thing. Dedicated to animation. Maybe some Roger Rabbit
Attraction Ideas:
Fantasmic like show
Get rid of the Playhouse Disney theater and some other stuff there that is expandable and you can make a lake HERE that is big enough for a Fantasmic level show. And thematically it makes a lot more sense here connected to the animation area, sunset Blvd, and the hub than it does over in an Indy area in the back of the park.

Hot Sets

Location from Star Tours up through NY street
theme A series of sets in Soundstages. The Soundstages are all just wall that serve as entries into immersive themed lands based on movies.
areas Star Wars Land around Star Tours. The Backlot Express can become the cantina and we can build out into the parking lot to make a Pod Racing ride.
Muppets Manhattan. This can take over the area around Muppet Vision. The Muppets take Manhattan as the vague theme allows us to reuse the NY Street stuff. Retheme Mama Melrose to Swedish Chef and retheme Pizza Planet before it even opens. Maybe add an extra attraction.
Mary Poppins Land. Have the Jolly Holiday dark ride for families and maybe a carousel. This takes place where the hunchback show was. Maybe add a Poppins stage show instead of a dark ride to use that theater.
Bug's Life. This takes over the Honey I shrunk the kid's. Maybe just add a flat ride or two. Perhaps Heimlichs Chew Chew Train can be here before DCA.

If we want one more, Sounds Dangerous/Doug Live can be eaten up by a compact coaster to create an Indy area around Echo Lake.
Also, the orange area I have just for animation is pretty large and near a lot of expansion space. A sci-fi or horror area could easily be fit there too. Or Griffith park/observatory. We could even do a time travel type thing around the lake with sunset Blvd starting in 1920s, then Griffith Park in 1940s, then the animation land transitioning from 1960s to present

DisneyFan18

Everest was ~$100 Million
ToT of ~$140 Million

Also I would be cautions about using too many rides to get to the main ride style attractions.
I agree, they are blue sky Ideas so they can be improved. For example maybe in the Alien one, the Pre Show can be RnR style, we’re mere spectators, we’re standing, as the scientist in the other room is explaining his experiment, it goes wrong, Alien comes out, kills everyone in the room, and we’re urged out before the Alien breaks into our room, everything is in emergency mode, we board the ride vehicle.

And for Indy, we would be reusing the 20K submarine that would have been closed by now, instead of letting them rot as they did, it would serve to explain how we got to the Atlantis, and then main ride, it’s something like what I understand they are doing with Battle Escape? You board a shuttle to space, and your vehicle is kidnapped by the First Order or something like that?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom