Opinion: Runaway Railway is as much of a classic as Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion

JIMINYCR

It certainly doesnt match my idea of what would be considered a classic. The term classic should be reserved for something special and not an attraction that has just appeared on the scene no matter how innovative or unprecedented the attraction appears. Certainly pales in comparison of PoTC, HM and some other Disney attractions that I consider a classic.

Walt Disney1955

It takes a while. There are tons of things in life that are classics. All in the Family was a classic TV show, but it wasn't considered such in 1974 in the middle of its run. By the 1990s? Sure. You need to have time in order to fully use the term "classic"

justintheharris

Original Poster
I agree with Tom and 1Happy Haunt. Honestly, I don't understand why a smooth transition (or any transition) into fantasy world has anything to do with being a classic. Soarin', which I don't consider a classic yet might get that distinction eventually if they every retrofit it with the original Soarin' Over Cali. The update to Soarin' Over the World has been a giant step backwards, but should they go back to the original, I'd say I'd consider it a classic in due time.

Just a thought, at Six Flags Great America there used to be a ride called Cajun Cliffhanger. The ride consisted of stepping into a round "room", standing against a wall, and they shut the entry door. The room would spin faster and faster until you were stuck firmly against the wall, and then the floor would drop out with everyone sticking to the walls. After 30 seconds or so, the floor would come back up, and the spinning would slow to a stop. That ride was removed and there was an outcry because everyone felt it was a "classic" of the park. At no point do you enter a "fantasy world", yet it was a classic in the minds of many. Just sayin'...

For anyone who might not remember or heard of the ride I just mentioned, I found a video of something online that was identical. You can see from the comments below the video how beloved the ride was... to my point.

Well, a Disney classic is going to be different than a Six Flags classic. And perhaps this thread was done with the point of provoking the thought "what makes a ride a classic?" And there's no one size fits all. As I made clear, I think story telling is a defining feature but even I admit the holes in my explanation. Some may say popularity but, let's be real guys, Carousel of Progress is not exactly the attraction with the highest demand and is considered a classic by many. Is it a ride Walt worked on? Splash Mountain wasn't touched by Walt and is near unanimously a classic. And some may just say time but I think there's more to it than that. I wouldn't call Astro Orbitor a classic on the sole basis it's been there a long time.
Most people in the thread seem to be in agreement that time is required to be a classic attraction although, if you believe in instant classics, Runaway Railway has many dimensions of one.

Last edited:

RobWDW1971

Well, a Disney classic is going to be different than a Six Flags classic. And perhaps this thread was done with the point of provoking the thought "what makes a ride a classic?" And there's no one size fits all. As I made clear, I think story telling is a defining feature but even I admit the holes in my explanation. Some may say popularity but, let's be real guys, Carousel of Progress is not exactly the attraction with the highest demand and is considered a classic by many. Is it a ride Walt worked on? Splash Mountain wasn't touched by Walt and is near unanimously a classic. And some may just say time but I think there's more to it than that. I wouldn't call Astro Orbitor a classic on the sole basis it's been there a long time.
Nobody is making the argument a ride's years of existence make it a classic. They are saying one needs distance and time (and not, oh I don't know, a couple weeks of operation) to determine a ride's place in history.

justintheharris

Original Poster
Nobody is making the argument a ride's years of existence make it a classic. They are saying one needs distance and time (and not, oh I don't know, a couple weeks of operation) to determine a ride's place in history.
Well, it will always be the first Mickey Mouse (moving) attraction. That alone to many people would solidify it.

RobWDW1971

If you really wanted to, I guess you could xD And lest we forget the Silly Symphony Swings

But I'm sure you realize I'm referring to an elaborate dark ride.
You're are factually correct - it is the first MOVING attraction that is also a DARK RIDE that features MICKEY MOUSE in a starring role.

Not sure how that means it's a classic, but OK.

Pepper's Ghost

Yeah, there's a ton that goes into a ride being a classic. First, it's a subjective term to start, so I'm good with you feeling that it's a classic already. Generally, I think it takes very broad love, adoration, a deep following, and yes... time. That's my opinion anyway. It most definitely does not require to a transition to a world of fantasy, to be touched by Walt, or to be the first moving Mickey ride. 🤣

justintheharris

Original Poster
Yeah, there's a ton that goes into a ride being a classic. First, it's a subjective term to start, so I'm good with you feeling that it's a classic already. Generally, I think it takes very broad love, adoration, a deep following, and yes... time. That's my opinion anyway. It most definitely does not require to a transition to a world of fantasy, to be touched by Walt, or to be the first moving Mickey ride. 🤣
If you don't mind me asking because I'm curious, what attractions would you consider a classic that don't involve a transition to fantasy or have some connection to Walt? Just so I have a better understanding. By the "very broad love, adoration, a deep following and time," that could include a ride like Rock N Roller Coaster which is indeed a good ride but classic might be a bit of a stretch. At least for me.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
For me, Triceratops Spin is the definition of classic. Dumbo with dinos? Sign me up. Also, the classic score as I soar above Dinoland brings me to tears every time. The ability to tilt the vehicle up to 2.5 degrees takes it to a whole other level. Its as though you're in the torso of an actual triceratops that is slowly lumbering across a late Cretaceous valley. Perfection.

Last edited:

Tom Morrow

If you don't mind me asking because I'm curious, what attractions would you consider a classic that don't involve a transition to fantasy or have some connection to Walt? Just so I have a better understanding. By the "very broad love, adoration, a deep following and time," that could include a ride like Rock N Roller Coaster which is indeed a good ride but classic might be a bit of a stretch. At least for me.
Splash Mountain. There's no transition, you're already in the ride's setting when you're around it.

RobWDW1971

Spaceship Earth.

justintheharris

Original Poster
Spaceship Earth.
The OP hates that ride and finds it boring. I went by his past posts on ride rides and he's a not a fan of many Epcot attractions at all.
First, I like Spaceship Earth. I don't know where I ever said I didn't. But I do acknowledge that there are people in the general public that don't appreciate it as much. I know this because I have taken numerous people to Disney who often don't go and they usually have mixed reactions.

In response to the answer, I think Epcot classics are in a league of their own. Horizons, World of Motion, Spaceship Earth, Journey into Imagination etc. all belong in their own category. That doesn't mean they're any worse. It's just, from my standpoint, they're so differentiated that they don't fall into the same bucket as the classic Magic Kingdom attractions. And you can see this in merchandise and logos and just overall discussion. People have almost always made a point to group classic Epcot attractions in a place separate from the others. I wouldn't say it's impossible to find Spaceship Earth, Horizons, Journey Into Imagination on the same t shirt or bag as Space Mountain and Splash Mountain but generally the trend is to keep them apart. And the Epcot classics are mostly retrofitted for their park very nicely. Notice we never saw World of Motion or Spaceship Earth go to any other resort. It's only been recent that Epcot shared any attractions with any parks around the world (Soarin' and soon, Frozen Ever After and Remy's Ratatouille Adventure)

justintheharris

Original Poster
Splash Mountain. There's no transition, you're already in the ride's setting when you're around it.
Well I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree there. Again, I still don't feel you're really immersed in the ride until after that first drop. There's bits of show elements before that but nothing major.

The better example and the only one I can think of that would have no Walt no Mickey and no fantasy that is a classic is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. I don't think he had anything to do with the creation of that ride... right?

MrConbon

Spaceship Earth.
I wouldn’t really consider that ride a classic considering how often they change it. People make a HUGE deal when something in Pirates or Mansion gets changed. SE is going to be going through a massive overhaul and I don’t see anyone mourning the loss of it. If they decided to gut and redo Pirates you would see a much greater response.

RobWDW1971

First, I like Spaceship Earth. I don't know where I ever said I didn't. But I do acknowledge that there are people in the general public that don't appreciate it as much. I know this because I have taken numerous people to Disney who often don't go and they usually have mixed reactions.

In response to the answer, I think Epcot classics are in a league of their own. Horizons, World of Motion, Spaceship Earth, Journey into Imagination etc. all belong in their own category. That doesn't mean they're any worse. It's just, from my standpoint, they're so differentiated that they don't fall into the same bucket as the classic Magic Kingdom attractions. And you can see this in merchandise and logos and just overall discussion. People have almost always made a point to group classic Epcot attractions in a place separate from the others. I wouldn't say it's impossible to find Spaceship Earth, Horizons, Journey Into Imagination on the same t shirt or bag as Space Mountain and Splash Mountain but generally the trend is to keep them apart. And the Epcot classics are mostly retrofitted for their park very nicely. Notice we never saw World of Motion or Spaceship Earth go to any other resort. It's only been recent that Epcot shared any attractions with any parks around the world (Soarin' and soon, Frozen Ever After and Remy's Ratatouille Adventure)
I honestly can't keep up with your ever shifting criteria.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom