Operational issues at the People Mover - no longer walk on and one mess of a queue

ptaylor

Premium Member
Original Poster
This has been mentioned in several other threads, but what is going on at the People Mover? In recent months it nearly always has a queue, and it is a disorganized mess of a queue.

I have routinely had 20 minutes waits on relatively slow days. Cars are being dispatched empty, and if an actual stoppage takes place, wait times can be 30 mins.

There appears to be a policy of limiting guest numbers on the ramp, but that doesn't seem to fully explain the reduced capacity, as the queue at the top is nearly always full.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Is the circular walkway at the top still running? If not, they prob had to slow the vehicles way down for safe loading.

Touchdown

I think it’s just that popular, much like I rarely have empty showings of Tiki Room, CBJ or COP (last week all shows were >50% capacity. Heck midday on Sunday I walked into a full queue for Philharmagic that then got cut off for the next show.

People are getting smarter and choosing to forgo agonizingly long standby queues by experiencing these high volume short wait attractions.

punkabella

To one of the OPs points, I'm not sure why some of the cars are being dispatched empty. I saw this a few years ago as well. I didn't know if it had to do with either some car doors not working (where they typically have the orange cones sitting in an empty car) or it had to do with weight distribution or the aging of the vehicles not being able to move as easily due to upkeep. 🤷‍♀️

bubbles1812

I feel like it’s had a lot of maintenance issues of late. I was evacuated off of it in September after a good 30 minutes sitting there, and it stopped for a good 15 minutes while we were on it in December. Usually I’ll ride multiple times a visit but after my two experiences, I felt one ride was enough for the December trip.

The wait times never bothered me before as even a 25 minute listed wait time usually is shorter but it clearly needs some RnR.

Mickey5150

The queue is to keep the line up top from backing up if there is an issue. The moving walkway doesn't stop so if the ride stops then people are being forced right into the back of the line. They hold people at the bottom until enough people have gotten on the ride so there is room in case of a stoppage. I don't know about the empty cars but I'm guessing it's a similar issue.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
There's been lines for years not months.
It seems like the people mover and COP have gained in popularity in recent years which is great because it means they are no longer on the endangered list but can be annoying for those of us that have been loyal to them our whole life.
The main reason it backs up is when they keep the ramp turned n but have to stagger the number of guests going up.
If it looks like a crazy line I hit up COP instead and then go back because the crowds seem to get in line in waves.

Tom Morrow

In addition to the park always busier now than it ever was in the first 40 years of its existence, Fastpass+ has artificially inflated the lines at many attractions that used to have reliably short or minimal waits. Being one of the few attractions without Fastpass+, the Peoplemover now sees long lines due to people choosing it out of limited options. "Well, our next Fastpass is in two hours, everything else is 50 minutes or more, and this is only 25..."

It's unfortunate that it has lost it's walk-on status because it used to be a guaranteed form of relief to quickly improve your day.

Last edited:

cinderellafan6

I was there on Monday. Waited about 10 min to get on ride. Had to walk up the ride as the escalator was not working. Empty cars every few people boarding.

jt04

In addition to the park always busier now than it ever was in the first 40 years of its existence, Fastpass+ has artificially inflated the lines at many attractions that used to have reliably short or minimal waits. Being one of the few attractions without Fastpass+, the Peoplemover now sees long lines due to people choosing it out of limited options. "Well, our next Fastpass is in two hours, everything else is 50 minutes or more, and this is only 25..."

It's unfortunate that it has lost it's walk-on status because it used to be a guaranteed form of relief to quickly improve your day.

Bring back the keel boats, swan boats, canoes and bring a Columbia tall ship to the MK and much would be solved IMO.

Especially the tall ship.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom