Operational issues at the People Mover - no longer walk on and one mess of a queue

Josh Hendy

Waited about 10 min to get on ride. Had to walk up the ride as the escalator was not working. Empty cars every few people boarding.

"Maintenance and operations spending down. Admission prices up. Theme park profits up. Share price up. Bonuses up. Golden parachute up. I like my chances."

- Disney CEO Eldrick "Tiger" Iger, quoted on The Jim Rome Show

Musical Mermaid

2-3 more simple dark rides in Fantasyland would be great (and should have happened years ago). Also bring back the keel boats (or some type of smaller vessels) on the river. And anything in the Stitch space!
I agree with more rides in Fantasyland. That’s one reason I think Disneyland has the superior Fantasyland. I really dislike ours. As I see it, Little Mermaid fills 20,000 Leagues old shoes and 7 Dwarfs was the new Snow White ride, so for New Fantasyland, I think the only real add-ons were meet and greets, dining, and more shops...meh.

My opinion on Tomorrowland is that it’s a mess. Almost every attraction there needs refurb or replacement. The only one I don’t know about is the Astro Orbiter, because I never ride it. I love the People Mover, that’s the one attraction I do EVERY TIME I’m at Magic Kingdom, but it needs some tlc. I certainly don’t want it going the way of Disneyland’s.

StarWarsGirl

They're running many empty vehicles for some reason. I'll see if I can find out what's going on. It's definitely strange.
It's my guess based on observation (we went on it four times during our trip this month) that the doors weren't closing all the way.

Based on how stupid people are, seems likely that guests would try to pry the doors open and get off. Which would shut it down.

It looked like it wasn't a weight distribution thing. Some cars were not loading in the front, some not in the middle...it wasn't consistent.

TrainsOfDisney

What I’ve seen is simply holding parties so that there is not a rush to board requiring a stop. For example... if you try to board every single car you can end up rushing people on and then you have to stop the ride which ends up taking more time than if you hold some groups up.

The cue is backed up because the park is more crowded and the peoplemover has gained some popularity.

UNCgolf

My opinion on Tomorrowland is that it’s a mess. Almost every attraction there needs refurb or replacement. The only one I don’t know about is the Astro Orbiter, because I never ride it. I love the People Mover, that’s the one attraction I do EVERY TIME I’m at Magic Kingdom, but it needs some tlc. I certainly don’t want it going the way of Disneyland’s.

Strongly agree. There's no cohesion throughout the land and half of the attractions need to be completely replaced with something worthwhile (the Speedway, Buzz Lightyear, Monsters Inc. all need to go). Space Mountain and the People Mover need serious refurbs, and although I would be happy for Carousel of Progress to remain exactly as it is forever (almost like a time capsule) it clearly needs some work.

Tron will help as far as having a quality ride goes, but it certainly won't help with cohesion.

GSP Guy

To one of the OPs points, I'm not sure why some of the cars are being dispatched empty. I saw this a few years ago as well. I didn't know if it had to do with either some car doors not working (where they typically have the orange cones sitting in an empty car) or it had to do with weight distribution or the aging of the vehicles not being able to move as easily due to upkeep. 🤷‍♀️
During our trip in November many cars were not being utilized. On our second visit to the Peoplemover a maintenance/engineering person was there watching the unused cars pass by at loading area. His attention seemed focused on the doors best we could tell.

Musical Mermaid

Strongly agree. There's no cohesion throughout the land and half of the attractions need to be completely replaced with something worthwhile (the Speedway, Buzz Lightyear, Monsters Inc. all need to go). Space Mountain and the People Mover need serious refurbs, and although I would be happy for Carousel of Progress to remain exactly as it is forever (almost like a time capsule) it clearly needs some work.

Tron will help as far as having a quality ride goes, but it certainly won't help with cohesion.
We have the same opinion on which ones need to go and which need to be refurbished. I like having a Space Mountain, People Mover, and Carousel of Progress, but they’re all showing signs of falling apart before our eyes.

SoFloMagic

There's been 30+ minute wait times for the past 3 years. It's nothing new.
This is new. I'm pretty sure two-is years agoit never even showed a wait time on mde. I'd know it was a super busy day when it showed up on the wait times screen (even at 5-10 mins). This is new. This is 20 mins when it's slow.
That said, I don't know if it's a big change in ops, I think it's just no longer a secret. Chalk it up to youtubers and their "10 best kept secrets at magic kingdom"

WDW862

This is new. I'm pretty sure two-is years agoit never even showed a wait time on mde. I'd know it was a super busy day when it showed up on the wait times screen (even at 5-10 mins). This is new. This is 20 mins when it's slow.
That said, I don't know if it's a big change in ops, I think it's just no longer a secret. Chalk it up to youtubers and their "10 best kept secrets at magic kingdom"

I've been going to the parks on a monthly basis since 2016. Trust me, its been a like this for a while.

mikeymouse

There appears to be a policy of limiting guest numbers on the ramp, but that doesn't seem to fully explain the reduced capacity, as the queue at the top is nearly always full.

This ^^. They don't allow people on the speedramp until the queue is nearly empty. By the time they get to the top, there are empty cars going through.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It is my understanding that many units of train cars have been removed lessening the load per hour of guests. Yes a stupid make shift queue. I’m at the MK most months and never have waited more than 10 Minutes Even with long queues. Hopefully with adjustments being worked on currently the removal of units will be added back in. I appreciate the crashing of train units being unacceptable and less units vs closing the attraction being the better choice.

Kingoglow

I was there on Monday (2/10), here are my observations.
Several cars are broken and sent out with a traffic cone on the seat. That should be embarrassing, but Disney doesn't care.
The walk up to the ride (the right-side) was down and draped with a tarp. Guests were instructed to use the left side to get the the top of the ride... yes, the same side that guests have to go down to exit. There is masking tape running down the middle of the the ramp and small arrows crafted out of masking tape to direct guests. It is a boon doggle for sure.

My guess would be that the right ramp up to the top is what caused all the smoke. Something broke in there. Giving it's age,, I assume that Disney has to manufacture a replacement part from scratch to get it operational again.

Last edited by a moderator:

trainplane3

I was there on Monday (2/10), here are my observations.
Several cars are broken and sent out with a traffic cone on the seat. That should be embarrassing, but Disney doesn't care.
The walk up to the ride (the right-side) was down and draped with a tarp. Guests were instructed to use the left side to get the the top of the ride... yes, the same side that guests have to go down to exit. There is masking tape running down the middle of the the ramp and small arrows crafted out of masking tape to direct guests. It is a boon doggle for sure.

My guess would be that the right ramp up to the top is what caused all the smoke. Something broke in there. Giving it's age,, I assume that Disney has to manufacture a replacement part from scratch to get it operational again.
The Up ramp is fixed and is back to normal again as of yesterday.

Last edited by a moderator:

KikoKea

We've noticed the TTA being down a good bit this Fall and the first week of Feb, our last visit. It was down nearly the whole of the fireworks show one night, and we were watching from the purple rocks by the dessert party (outside with the commoners). Afterwards, IIRC, it ran without guests, stopping occasionally. Sadly, we never did ride it. I'm afraid if it comes to needing a big overhaul, they'll simply shut it down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom