Operational issues at the People Mover - no longer walk on and one mess of a queue

TrainsOfDisney

Is it still sponsored by Alamo?

It seems odd that Disney almost doesn’t want sponsors anymore? They cut off turner classic movies early, and they seemed to make Siemens mad as well?

UNCgolf

Is it still sponsored by Alamo?

It seems odd that Disney almost doesn’t want sponsors anymore? They cut off turner classic movies early, and they seemed to make Siemens mad as well?

If they have a sponsor, they can't just change it to stuff in whatever IP Iger/Chapek feel like on a whim. The sponsor has to be involved.

UNCgolf

Well they kind of did with GMR.

You're talking about the end of the sponsorship deal, right? That's different than making changes to the attraction while keeping the sponsorship deal in place.

Also, if I remember correctly, the sponsorship deal expired and Disney chose not to renew it.

TrojanUSC

These waits really started when they had the accident a few years ago when two trains collided. Whatever they did to the boarding process seemed to really effect the waits.

Phil12

Well, it demonstrates that this system would have never really worked for intercity public transportation as the Disney hype had suggested.

Josh Hendy

We saw pictures posted of repairs or replacement of a support column. I wonder if the entire episode of half-empty trains was to reduce loading and weight.

Which is fairly disappointing if it happened because they were skimping on inspection and repairs.

To be fair it's probably difficult to inspect structures which are hidden by so many "show" elements such as Tomorrowland's "blast shields", fake extensible legs and the like.

rct247

The vehicles move at just enough of a pace that if you don't get the next group to step out immediately, it isn't worth the chance of them not being able to get into a vehicle in the 15-20seconds to board in time before the doors close. So they just skip to the next one. Then you also want to make sure groups stay in the train together so you skip some at the end of the trains to account for that. Oh, and orange cones too.

Nothing with weight.

rct247

There is absolutely no circumstance in which an orange cone should be used as ‘good show’ for tagging a ride vehicle out of service. (Unless it’s in Carsland, in which case it’s in theme!)

How is there not a better way?

I think most rides use a clip, but they don't have anything to clip it to on those sleek futuristic trains.

lazyboy97o

We saw pictures posted of repairs or replacement of a support column. I wonder if the entire episode of half-empty trains was to reduce loading and weight.

Which is fairly disappointing if it happened because they were skimping on inspection and repairs.

To be fair it's probably difficult to inspect structures which are hidden by so many "show" elements such as Tomorrowland's "blast shields", fake extensible legs and the like.
The structural columns themselves are not being replaced, just their skin.

wdwjmp239

I was at the Magic Kingdom Sunday night (2/16/20) and the wait time at around 8:30pm was about 25 minutes. I did notice though that parts of the track were cracked where the magnets in the track are - some were more cracked than others which made me think - maybe it's time they give the peoplemover some love during the Tomorrowland refresh.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Here's the averages for five weeks starting mid-January...

1582009289809.png

And here's the last 5 days over a holiday weekend...

1582009415759.png

This is a high capacity ride with no FP, so, don't blame FP.

This is what happens when a park is so crowded that it's past it's "tipping point"... that is, there are more people wanting to ride a ride than all the rides have capacity for. So, once the tipping point is hit, the line starts growing and keeps on growing until either people determine its too long of a line to wait on, or, people leave the park (or are diverted by something else, like a parade or fireworks).

An extra thousand people? They have no place to go except get on line and thus make the lines longer.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
In addition to the park always busier now than it ever was in the first 40 years of its existence, Fastpass+ has artificially inflated the lines at many attractions that used to have reliably short or minimal waits. Being one of the few attractions without Fastpass+, the Peoplemover now sees long lines due to people choosing it out of limited options. "Well, our next Fastpass is in two hours, everything else is 50 minutes or more, and this is only 25..."

It's unfortunate that it has lost it's walk-on status because it used to be a guaranteed form of relief to quickly improve your day.

People usually blame a line for being too long because it has FP.

And you're blaming this ride for lines being too long because it *doesn't* have FP?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom