Opening WDW with Social Distancing

tagoofy

My $0.02
Personally, my guess is things will get better much faster than all the gloom and doom. But, since we're playing what if I'll offer a more out of the box idea.

WDW essentially being its own city could create a "walled garden" of sorts. Create a protocol to enter (testing, cleaning, etc) then once you are in, no restrictions! 😎 To make it easier, only those staying on property (and thus staying with in the WDW controlled space) would be allowed in parks, etc. Depending on how fast testing shows up after someone is infected, you might need a waiting period.
Extreem, yes. But maybe more profitable than having to keep parks to 15% of capacity.

Last edited:

rwdavis2

I've been thinking about this scenario too. Opening WDW with the 6SD guidelines still in place is not profitable, not practical, and I'm not even sure it's doable.

And as for guests, I don't think many would find this situation enjoyable. I know I wouldn't.
Agreed. It is in no way practical. What if you violate 6SD? Removal from the park? What? They are going to have to reopen as normal. No way to enforce anything to a significant degree. If you've seen the simulations of sneezes/coughs in a grocery store they travel pretty far. More than 6 feet and over the shelves. Reducing the max number in the park won't be very effective.

Tom P.

My $0.02
Personally, my guess is things will get better much faster than all the gloom and doom. But, since we're playing what if I'll offer a more out of the box idea. WDW essentially being its own city could create a "walled garden or sorts". Create a protocol to enter (testing, cleaning, etc) then once you are in, no restrictions). To make it easier, only those staying on property (and this staying with in the WDW controlled space) would be allowed in parks, etc. Depending on how fast testing shows up after some one is infected, you might need a waiting period.
Extreem, yes. But maybe more profitable than having to keep parks to 15% of capacity.
This is certainly an interesting idea. It would be easier to implement if they limited park admittance to those staying on-property than if they allow offsite guests in. But if testing capacity ramps up and we do have availability of COVID-19 tests that produce reliable results in a short period of time, there is the possibility that everyone could simply take a COVID-19 test when they first arrive on Disney property. Theoretically, if every single person on property is tested and is confirmed negative before they are allowed in, then there would be no need for social distancing or any other type of restriction. But that seems like a very long way to go for a theme park, and would severely limit their attendance as well.

NelleBelle

Germs have always existed, and will never cease to exist. Many people understand that fact, and take precautions to the level in which they feel most comfortable. For example, we have always carried a small hand sanitizer bottle into parks, knowing there are going to be sick people in the parks.
Exactly! Prior to COVID, we would sanitize our hands after every ride and before we ate anything!! And if a bathroom was next to an attraction, hands were washed! I’m not a complete germaphobe but both myself and mom (who 99% was on a trip with us) both are in healthcare and know what nasty things lurk about us! 🤢Not sure how Disney will reopen but hopefully hand sanitizer stations will be abundant and full!!!

Parker in NYC

Exactly! Prior to COVID, we would sanitize our hands after every ride and before we ate anything!! And if a bathroom was next to an attraction, hands were washed! I’m not a complete germaphobe but both myself and mom (who 99% was on a trip with us) both are in healthcare and know what nasty things lurk about us! 🤢Not sure how Disney will reopen but hopefully hand sanitizer stations will be abundant and full!!!

Until we can hand sanitize our noses and mouths, this is much more serious.

Tom P.

At today's news conference, the surgeon general of Florida said that we should not expect to see social distancing guidelines relaxed nor groups of more than 10 permitted until a vaccine is found, potentially a year or more from now. Which, if is what the Florida government is going to say, would pretty much shut down any possibility of Walt Disney World re-opening in 2020.

However, the moment he said that, a member of the governor's staff appeared and the surgeon general left the conference. Which seems to suggest to many that his comments were not in line with the thinking of the governor. But, regardless, he said it and as the top health official for the State of Florida, his comments are now out there on the public record.

We shall see...

zengoth

With the golden promise of a vaccine being held up as the ultimate deus ex machina, i can tell from these forums that there are quite a few folks who won't be leaving their houses until there's a vaccine, even if it takes a year or 2, and they expect that all theme parks / concerts / movie theatres et al should be closed for that same year or 2. The fact that most of these places won't survive these restrictions, my question becomes: will any theme parks survive a 2 year closure?

Lilofan

One can be sure Disney parks will be selling hand sanitizer in many places at Disney prices!

monykalyn

At today's news conference, the surgeon general of Florida said that we should not expect to see social distancing guidelines relaxed nor groups of more than 10 permitted until a vaccine is found, potentially a year or more from now. Which, if is what the Florida government is going to say, would pretty much shut down any possibility of Walt Disney World re-opening in 2020.

However, the moment he said that, a member of the governor's staff appeared and the surgeon general left the conference. Which seems to suggest to many that his comments were not in line with the thinking of the governor. But, regardless, he said it and as the top health official for the State of Florida, his comments are now out there on the public record.

We shall see...
I also read that the SG leaving was because he had another appointment that was fast approaching. 🤷‍♀️ .

TrainsOfDisney

We shall see...

The state of Florida won’t survive if they do that. Forget the theme parks for a moment.... all of the sports arenas, convention centers, performing arts centers.... they all generate crazy money for the state.

Tom P.

The state of Florida won’t survive if they do that. Forget the theme parks for a moment.... all of the sports arenas, convention centers, performing arts centers.... they all generate crazy money for the state.
I understand what you are saying. But if you listen to the mayors, the governors, the health officials... with one notable exception (the president), they are ALL starting to coalesce around the same message: we will be getting people back to work, but large public gatherings won't happen until a vaccine or proven treatment is found.

Just today, the mayor of Los Angeles said something similar. Although that has no direct bearing on either Disney park, it is still indication of where things are heading. He said we may very well not see concerts, sporting events, etc. until 2021.

tecowdw

My $0.02
Personally, my guess is things will get better much faster than all the gloom and doom. But, since we're playing what if I'll offer a more out of the box idea.

WDW essentially being its own city could create a "walled garden" of sorts. Create a protocol to enter (testing, cleaning, etc) then once you are in, no restrictions! 😎 To make it easier, only those staying on property (and thus staying with in the WDW controlled space) would be allowed in parks, etc. Depending on how fast testing shows up after someone is infected, you might need a waiting period.
Yes! Disney could COVID test everyone arriving at the park security entrances or hotel lobbies with one of those 15-minute tests (or quicker if an even faster one comes out) and then assign the results to the MagicBand/ticket media. If you're MB is recorded as negative then it's magic as usual for you in the parks! No masks, gloves or social distancing necessary. If you're MB is positive, then it's just like not having an admission ticket - no magic for you and you have to go away.

Who knows---maybe during all this downtime, Imagineering is already hard at work coming up with an instant results COVID breath test for all guests (and cast). Might have to cut back on some near-term construction budgets but it might be worth the investment at this point.
;)

In truth, I fail to understand how not opening the parks until a vaccine, say next year, is even an option for the company. How could it survive that long of a delay? Of course, I'm not sure the current Florida government will even expect them to. If Disney isn't open, where will the required tourist dollars the state as a whole relies on come from?

Interestingly, I would think the Asia parks should give a good sense of what a post-COVID park experience will be since they *should* be a few months ahead of us and trial run much of it. However, I suspect the US parks will probably even open before they do in Asia due to our - let's call it American spirit.

NelleBelle

One can be sure Disney parks will be selling hand sanitizer in many places at Disney prices!
While the Zika outbreak was quite prevalent our family took a Disney cruise to the Caribbean—at ALL ports of call, DCL had set up at the end of the gangway dispensers of free insect repellant (as well as hand sanitizer). And upon return to the ship, you were required to use the hand sanitizer before you could board. I would think that as long as we are still having our news cycle 99% full of COVID-19 24/7, I would hope Disney would do what they did prior to the closure of the parks as far as setting up hand sanitizer/hand wash stations

TrainsOfDisney

While the Zika outbreak was quite prevalent our family took a Disney cruise to the Caribbean—at ALL ports of call, DCL had set up at the end of the gangway dispensers of free insect repellant (as well as hand sanitizer). And upon return to the ship, you were required to use the hand sanitizer before you could board. I would think that as long as we are still having our news cycle 99% full of COVID-19 24/7, I would hope Disney would do what they did prior to the closure of the parks as far as setting up hand sanitizer/hand wash stations

Also during that Time there was a free can of bug spray in your hotel room on Disney property.

This is certainly an interesting idea. It would be easier to implement if they limited park admittance to those staying on-property than if they allow offsite guests in. But if testing capacity ramps up and we do have availability of COVID-19 tests that produce reliable results in a short period of time, there is the possibility that everyone could simply take a COVID-19 test when they first arrive on Disney property. Theoretically, if every single person on property is tested and is confirmed negative before they are allowed in, then there would be no need for social distancing or any other type of restriction. But that seems like a very long way to go for a theme park, and would severely limit their attendance as well.

This would be ideal, but right now there are tens of thousands of sick people who can’t get tests.

I can’t imagine we’ll get to a point anytime soon when we have enough instant tests that people going to a theme park will be able to get a hundred thousand of them a day.

TrainsOfDisney

This would be ideal, but right now there are tens of thousands of sick people who can’t get tests.

I can’t imagine we’ll get to a point anytime soon when we have enough instant tests that people going to a theme park will be able to get a hundred thousand of them a day.

In one of the other threads, a medical professional describing the testing process. You have to have a legit medical lab and medical employees... it’s not something that is possible. I think the best case scenario is if they get a finger prick test... people aren’t going to get a finger prick every time they enter a theme park (much less have a swab shoved up their nose).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom