Opening WDW with Social Distancing

In one of the other threads, a medical professional describing the testing process. You have to have a legit medical lab and medical employees... it’s not something that is possible. I think the best case scenario is if they get a finger prick test... people aren’t going to get a finger prick every time they enter a theme park (much less have a swab shoved up their nose).

Absolutely. If you’re going to wish for them to invent some kind of an instant test that could detect covid19 (temp checks won’t work since people are the most contagious as they carry the virus for a few days without having any symptoms) before you get on the tram, you may as well just wish they discover the vaccine.

Lilofan

While the Zika outbreak was quite prevalent our family took a Disney cruise to the Caribbean—at ALL ports of call, DCL had set up at the end of the gangway dispensers of free insect repellant (as well as hand sanitizer). And upon return to the ship, you were required to use the hand sanitizer before you could board. I would think that as long as we are still having our news cycle 99% full of COVID-19 24/7, I would hope Disney would do what they did prior to the closure of the parks as far as setting up hand sanitizer/hand wash stations
That's true but with Disney parks losing $20-30 million dollars a day due to closure, they will surely try to drum up whatever sales they can muster. They will not be as generous as guests think they will be.

NickMaio

I just can't see how any part of WDW is reopened while Social Distancing precautions are in place. Just not going to happen.
Agreed......its bloody impossible.
How are people going to eat with masks.....as soon as you move it it becomes pointless.

NickMaio

With the golden promise of a vaccine being held up as the ultimate deus ex machina, i can tell from these forums that there are quite a few folks who won't be leaving their houses until there's a vaccine, even if it takes a year or 2, and they expect that all theme parks / concerts / movie theatres et al should be closed for that same year or 2. The fact that most of these places won't survive these restrictions, my question becomes: will any theme parks survive a 2 year closure?
With federal funding......maybe.
I think the Prez wants things to open up sooner than the doctors.
We shall see.

chris2fett

First of all, I am a physician and work at hospitals where we have had COVID-19 patients. However, I do not provide their direct care. There are guidelines that we have to follow just being in the hospital, when we KNOW there are positive patients.

The WDW resort has been a home-away-from-home for me since the early 1970s. Having said that... looks like I am going to have to tell the kids that our June WDW vacation is canceled. Although Disney hasn't officially announced it, I see no way that they can responsibly open the parks to the general public this Summer. Now, what WDW MAY do is offer "the elite" population guided tours of the park(s), in limited numbers. They already do this NOW for guests at a very high $$$, but just think if there were nothing but Disney led "tour groups" during the day, where small groups of families/friends are taken to the attractions by a Disney guide. You could keep the social distance in place. It would help WDW get back up and running SLOWLY, to work the kinks out, in a very controlled manner, so that if there were any occurrences of COVID-19 in the park(s), the exposure to other guests would be minimized.

As for the general public: We are(were?) staying on property (DVC members), and my spouse and I have tried to figure out: How is WDW going to control this? They would simply have to turn away guests at the entrance plaza(s) / toll booths, to to prevent them from getting on property. There would be HUNDREDS or THOUSANDS of cars in lines, for hours, just waiting to get in. Can you imagine all of the Orlando/locals Annual Passholders who are CHOMPING at the bit to get back to the parks ASAP? They're not going to turn away or stay home.

The first (somewhat selfish, I admit) thought that came to my mind: only open the parks (initially) for WDW resort hotel guests. You'd have to be staying at one of the official WDW resorts or Swan/Dolphin, or Disney Springs hotels. Disney would need to BLANKET these tight restrictions on social media, television, radio, etc. And there would be community backlash for sure; WDW would immediately be called discriminatory, and some lawyers may to jump in with lawsuits. To cover this, WDW management would need some type of plan or approval from the State Government to proceed, so that WDW could say "we are just following state guidelines to re-open our parks in phases, with the hope of eventually having everything available for all guests" All of us WDW veterans know the Disney PR spin...

WDW resort guests could be screened at the hotels FIRST, and then given a special wrist band or Magic Band code that "clears" them daily to enter the parks. First Aid style tents could be stationed in the parking lots of the resort hotels to help with the screenings and medical professionals (in the Florida heat, no less!) before guests get to walk into the hotel. You would have to have an "honor system" where guests did NOT LEAVE WDW PROPERTY during their vacation (and thus expose themselves to outside risks).

This would provide:
1) A fairly controlled, limited number of guests on property, who are able to enter the 4 parks. You know who and where they are, and where they are staying.
2) A way to screen people at multiple sites simultaneously, and then "mark" them on a daily basis for entrance or not. Screenings would HAVE to be daily, for every member of your party, before you were given the "golden ticket" to enter the park.
3) A portal where Disney could offer masks/gloves at these check points.
4) Also, WDW should temporarily limit ALL CARRY IN BAGGAGE during this time. Sorry parents; no backpacking your 3 meals for the day, your kid's special treats, or loaded down stroller. Maybe one bottled water per person in your family can be taken in?

Yes, I realize this would not be "fair" and certainly plays into the "you have to be rich enough to stay on WDW property and those less fortunate can't get in" trope. But you HAVE TO CONTROL access and have FIRM SCREENING METHODS before you through a few thousand people on Space Mountain for the day.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Only people who do not understand the concept of germs will be going....
If you weren't worried about what you were already being exposed to prior to CV-19, one more pathogen isn't going to burst your bubble.

This isn't Ebola nor is it the Black Death. We don't know exactly how deadly it is yet, but it seems with each passing day that it's not nearly as deadly as is being portrayed by incomplete numbers and the FUD-stream media.

Disney will open when the lockdowns affecting the counties they're in are lifted. Customers will have to (*gasp!*) use common sense and their own best judgment about whether or not to (a) go and (b) stay on property.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
I understand what you are saying. But if you listen to the mayors, the governors, the health officials... with one notable exception (the president), they are ALL starting to coalesce around the same message: we will be getting people back to work, but large public gatherings won't happen until a vaccine or proven treatment is found.

Just today, the mayor of Los Angeles said something similar. Although that has no direct bearing on either Disney park, it is still indication of where things are heading. He said we may very well not see concerts, sporting events, etc. until 2021.
The 70,000 people in the Orlando area working for Disney want to get back to work, too.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Yes! Disney could COVID test everyone arriving at the park security entrances or hotel lobbies with one of those 15-minute tests (or quicker if an even faster one comes out) and then assign the results to the MagicBand/ticket media. If you're MB is recorded as negative then it's magic as usual for you in the parks! No masks, gloves or social distancing necessary. If you're MB is positive, then it's just like not having an admission ticket - no magic for you and you have to go away.

Who knows---maybe during all this downtime, Imagineering is already hard at work coming up with an instant results COVID breath test for all guests (and cast). Might have to cut back on some near-term construction budgets but it might be worth the investment at this point.
;)

In truth, I fail to understand how not opening the parks until a vaccine, say next year, is even an option for the company. How could it survive that long of a delay? Of course, I'm not sure the current Florida government will even expect them to. If Disney isn't open, where will the required tourist dollars the state as a whole relies on come from?

Interestingly, I would think the Asia parks should give a good sense of what a post-COVID park experience will be since they *should* be a few months ahead of us and trial run much of it. However, I suspect the US parks will probably even open before they do in Asia due to our - let's call it American spirit.
Actually, this is the break WDW's been waiting for.

CMs will wear character-themed masks and gloves, and every night, the parks will be fogged with a concentrated hydrogen peroxide mist so the virus will be mostly depleted at opening in the morning.

People will be assigned to a half-day shift in the parks depending on their antibody status. Those who don't show any antibodies will be assigned the morning shift, when the park is "cleanest." Those with antibodies will get the afternoon.

Of course, because of the cost of nightly disinfection, the prices for the half-day visit will remain the same as before the outbreak... et voila, the ultimate dream of selling the park twice per day becomes reality!

graphite1326

Germs have always existed, and will never cease to exist. Many people understand that fact, and take precautions to the level in which they feel most comfortable. For example, we have always carried a small hand sanitizer bottle into parks, knowing there are going to be sick people in the parks.

I remember a report a few years ago where a Dr came out against hand sanitizers. He said we have to build up an immunity to germs and the sanitizers prevent that. Just saying not arguing.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Original Poster
I remember a report a few years ago where a Dr came out against hand sanitizers. He said we have to build up an immunity to germs and the sanitizers prevent that. Just saying not arguing.
I remember something similar. I think the study actually went on to note that in the USA we have become "too clean", which is making our population more exposed to potential illnesses. Our bodies need to have exposure to build up natural resistances to germs.

That has more to do with allergies than viral and bacterial infections. And studies are pointing to being "too clean" while in utero and newborn.

Let the babies lick everything (that isn't poisonous).

Tom P.

The 70,000 people in the Orlando area working for Disney want to get back to work, too.
I was referring to the leadership in government. If there is a consensus that social distancing must be maintained, then Disney won't have a choice.

MickeyLuv'r

Disney would do what they did prior to the closure of the parks as far as setting up hand sanitizer/hand wash stations

I didn't go to WDW during the last week it was open in March, but I followed threads on the subject. Please go back and read the accounts of how well that worked in real time. A number of posters reported the hand sanitizer stations were often empty.

Empty sanitizer stations would be worse than useless for preventing infection.

And if the units are kept full, sanitizing doesn't last very long in a theme park. WDW would need LARGE quantities of sanitizer to satisfy theme park crowds. MK has what, about 56,000 visitors every day? And how many staff members? And how many times a day would each person want to sanitize their hands?

Also, where is WDW getting all this hand sanitizer? Are they making their own? Importing it?

Do all the FL hospitals, police, EMT's, and all the rest of the first responders have an ample supply of sanitizer to meet their needs? (If not, what is WDW's answer to the media attention that might generate?)

Maybe the situation has improved in the last few days, but last I looked, stores near me were completely cleared out of anything resembling isopropyl, hand sanitizer, or really just about any kind of disinfectant.

MickeyLuv'r

I likewise find it darkly humorous that before this happened, non-toxic cleaner brands appeared to be gaining popularity.

If you've been to any kind of store that sells any kind of cleaning products, and manage to find almost any type of cleaning product, it is almost certainly a non-toxic kind of cleaner.

Strong chemicals are all the rage for spring 2020!

I mean even early March, the hardware store was not only out of alcohol, and all cleaning products, but also every kind of chemical that normally sits at all in the same area of the store. They were even out of turpentine and degreaser. Like as soon as people saw the store was out of alcohol, they just said, "XXX it!" and grabbed the nearest nasty chemical they could find.

NelleBelle

If contracting the virus confers lasting immunity (general thought is yes but not yet certain), then a blood test showing immunity should allow someone to participate in the world fully again.

If this insanity doesn’t abate, then we need to produce certification of immunity; then those immune can staff/attend the parks (and rest of the world) without worrying others.
I didn't go to WDW during the last week it was open in March, but I followed threads on the subject. Please go back and read the accounts of how well that worked in real time. A number of posters reported the hand sanitizer stations were often empty.

Empty sanitizer stations would be worse than useless for preventing infection.

And if the units are kept full, sanitizing doesn't last very long in a theme park. WDW would need LARGE quantities of sanitizer to satisfy theme park crowds. MK has what, about 56,000 visitors every day? And how many staff members? And how many times a day would each person want to sanitize their hands?

Also, where is WDW getting all this hand sanitizer? Are they making their own? Importing it?

Do all the FL hospitals, police, EMT's, and all the rest of the first responders have an ample supply of sanitizer to meet their needs? (If not, what is WDW's answer to the media attention that might generate?)

Maybe the situation has improved in the last few days, but last I looked, stores near me were completely cleared out of anything resembling isopropyl, hand sanitizer, or really just about any kind of disinfectant.
Then this is an indicator that maybe Disney properties have an issue on their hands and shouldn't be allowing their typical "56K+" visitors into their parks. I would hope that people would want to sanitize their hands after riding each attraction or until they could wash their hands. But if you don't have an easy way to disinfect your hands, then I expect the probability of people searching out a restroom to wash their hands is likely very low. And as you post above, are you wanting to rush back into a theme park when you can't get the basic disinfectants to protect yourself?

Seanual757

The way I see Disney world opening I fully expect Disney to open and have approx. 20% capacity the 1st few weeks increasing to 30%-35% capacity during the remainder of the year.

(International travelers cannot travel to the US at this time)

(extremely limited flights in the US to Orlando most carriers have cut schedules for May and June by 90% and Orlando is a leisure market it’s not a money maker)

Many folks are not ready to travel

Millions of people are unemployed and people are not going to spend money to go to Disney they will be pinching penny’s

I would expect to see 50% levels in attendance by Spring 2021 (the majority of people visiting will be pass holder for the foreseeable future)

Hand sanitizing stations around the parks and resorts

Hand washing stations around the parks and resorts

Guests will be required to wear masks except for younger kids who won’t wear them

Temperatures will be taken once entering the bag check area and at other times at the parks unknown to guests.

Tables at dining halls will be spaced farther apart

-Resorts open June 1

-Parks open a few days later

-Parks are open first to resort guests only for the 1st 7-10 days this will allow Disney to practice and see how crowd control and operating rides and waits go (plus they can track guests during that time).

-Two weeks later parks open to APH’s

-July 1 parks open to regular ticket holders

-Boarding groups will be used for the popular rides

-More fast passes will be allowed and used.

-Right side of main street side walk one way heading towards the castle

-Left side of main street heading towards the entrance.

-Every other car/ride vehicle is empty if they are close together.

-Double the distance for ride rows

-Disney will have markers down for how far to stand apart

-Quick service meals only for the 1st 30+ days

-Limited capacity on the busses, boats and Monorails

-Character’s around the park but no meet and greets for the 1st 30-60 days

-Fireworks will continue with proper social distancing

-Parades will continue with proper social distancing

-CM’s will be around doing cleaning of railings and rides all day long.

Hopefully by Labor day or October more things can be added.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom