Opening WDW with Social Distancing

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
31BD8E62-BDF6-4EF7-8A22-BA2F66220BC4.png

Walt Disney1955

if they enforce social distancing like they enforce everything else you have nothing to worry about. It will be business as usual.

Except you can't enforce that at a theme park. You can't be 6 feet apart when you are in a line-up for an hour. For starters, it would look ridiculous, and secondly the lines would go completely around the parks. If you don't want to go to a theme park then stay home. It is that simple. The rest of us can go back and live our lives.

Getachew

Except you can't enforce that at a theme park. You can't be 6 feet apart when you are in a line-up for an hour. For starters, it would look ridiculous, and secondly the lines would go completely around the parks. If you don't want to go to a theme park then stay home. It is that simple. The rest of us can go back and live our lives.

It's not that simple.

sgtmgd

Do you really think people at WDW will observe social distancing, there are way to many people out there that think rules don't apply to them. I'd love to go to WDW but I'll wait until the the first wave of lab rats go to WDW and see what the outcome is
Not sure how they enforce, and of course there are those folks that feel entitled and will not respect your space or let thier kids run wild
There will be a fine balance on how to get people to immediately take a trip to Disney when it opens, finances, time off work, travel will all work against Disney. It will be harder still if all the parks aren't open, along with all the attractions, and not a tone of " these experiences wont be available". I'd like to be there opening day but it will really depend on what that.looks like

graphite1326

So the big question is; are we going to have to wear a mask when we return? And if not do you think a lot of people will be wearing masks voluntarily?

Tom P.

I think that if Walt Disney World and Disneyland reopen this year, they will either require face masks or a good percentage of people will be wearing them. And I don't think you will see much pushback on that right now.

However, assuming that either an effective treatment or a vaccine or both make it through clinical trials and become widely available, I think you will quickly see that fade. Once Americans are no longer afraid of COVID-19, the tolerance for the masks will quickly wane. And Americans have very short memories. No one will think about "the next pandemic" for very long. That's just not in our nature. Once COVID-19 is felt to have passed, folks will resume old habits very quickly.

COrunner

I think that if Walt Disney World and Disneyland reopen this year, they will either require face masks or a good percentage of people will be wearing them. And I don't think you will see much pushback on that right now.

However, assuming that either an effective treatment or a vaccine or both make it through clinical trials and become widely available, I think you will quickly see that fade. Once Americans are no longer afraid of COVID-19, the tolerance for the masks will quickly wane. And Americans have very short memories. No one will think about "the next pandemic" for very long. That's just not in our nature. Once COVID-19 is felt to have passed, folks will resume old habits very quickly.

I agree with this.

It seems like the path of least resistance and broadest acceptance is that WDW will reopen with increased sanitizing stations and require masks inside the parks/transportation. I'm sure the hotels will adopt something similar (would they open the pool/splash areas?).

Plus I'll put a sizeable wager that WDW themed masks will be readily available for purchase all over the park when they do open. Early on they may just be single type similar to the ponchos but knowing the fandom people will ask for 'Disney magic' immediately. If you thought people lost their minds over Mickey ears and popcorn buckets, I cannot wait to see the insanity that will be pirates of the Caribbean or Haunted Mansion themed masks for sale.

Shouldigo12

And the breathing impaired, and kids, and then changing them every 10 minutes as they become sweat soaked, or god forbid you sneeze or cough from an irritant not cv19 related (because those haven't gone away).

So the hearing impaired (not born deaf but those who've lost hearing-there is a difference) who do rely on lip reading won't be able to converse with those next to them unless they have mastered sign language. And amazingly even parents mouth words to each other to communicate. Not end of world if can't but it is more than just "amazingly there is CC"
I'm not any kind of expert on the deaf community and sign language. I also don't know if your post comes from personal experience or just guessing, but a few things.
1. I've been studying sign language and the deaf community for a few years now, and have spent time with deaf people and interpreters. You never use hearing impaired. It comes with a negative connotation. You use either dead or hard of hearing. I know someone's going to make a snarky comment about pc culture, but we get majorly chewed out by our teachers if we use it and I keep seeing it pop up on the site so I figured I would mention it.
2. Absolutely not true a deaf person can't communicate unless someone can read lips or has mastered sign language. For one, even great lip readers still miss a lot of what's being said. Plus you can still get concepts across without completely mastering a language. As long as both parties understand some basics, a deaf person should be still be able to communicate with someone through sign.

dewardevi

If social distancing won't work, perhaps we just need to keep track of every guest's health in realtime. Instead of temperature checks at all major points, we need something that a guest wears that constantly monitors their temperature. Probably not a magic band - maybe something worn on the head like the combo mouse ears / face masks. When a fever is spiked, the mouse ear alarm goes off and your favorite Disney villain materializes to whisk you off to a "cooling room", where you listen to the recitation of US leaders from the Hall of Presidents on a loop until you are sufficiently sublimated and you are allowed to return to your day. ;)
I know you’re being partly facetious but personal temperature monitoring, whether by remote “guns” at entrance, or personally worn devices, is going to be problematic when people are moving around outdoors in Florida heat. There’s probably no real answer to Covid exposure problems in the parks and resorts until an effective vaccine becomes generally available.

Tom P.

I know you’re being partly facetious but personal temperature monitoring, whether by remote “guns” at entrance, or personally worn devices, is going to be problematic when people are moving around outdoors in Florida heat. There’s probably no real answer to Covid exposure problems in the parks and resorts until an effective vaccine becomes generally available.
Body temperature is not generally affected by the temperature of your environment. We are not cold-blooded animals. Our bodies do an amazing job of regulating our internal body temperature regardless of the temperature around us. That's why we sweat. If you are healthy, your temperature should basically be the same whether measured in a nice, cool, air conditioned room or in a 100 degree theme park.

mikeanabean

If they are going to have these measures to open the park then it will not be worth it to me. I am not going to spend all of this money to wait even more in line and be scrutinized by security even more. I can wait for a vaccine or to see if I am immune.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom