Onward characters to Debut at Disneyland Upcharge Party and DCA

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I could see how one might come to an assumption about the orientation of these characters based on Disney's provided photo along with all the publicity about the film featuring their first, openly gay character (who is a woman). But having seen the trailers first, I never did come to that conclusion myself.

The trailers did a fine job of sending the message they needed to (getting the point across that these are brothers). But the image and positioning Disney chose.. (+marketing of first openly gay character) well, I could see how that might send some mixed signals, especially if folks haven't seen the trailers yet. Not that I'm encouraging jumping to conclusions or judging based on appearance. Just that we are all human and without full context, tend to have the need to fill in the gaps we don't know or fully understand yet.

And that was my point, let us not jump to conclusions here, there is a plot and the trailer clarifies what that plot is. So if one actually take the minute to watch the trailer there would be no conclusions to jump to about these two characters orientation, no matter what that would have been.

Mickeyboof

And that was my point, let us not jump to conclusions here, there is a plot and the trailer clarifies what that plot is. So if one actually take the minute to watch the trailer there would be no conclusions to jump to about these two characters orientation, no matter what that would have been.

Y’all are crazy, and clearly don’t understand humor.

The joke stems from two places- First, Disney (as usual) is pushing characters that we don’t know nor care about in the name of Synergy. It’s cheap and a bore.

Secondly, because we don’t know these characters nor care about them, first impressions do matter.

TP2000 isn’t *actually* saying these characters are twinks or whatever. He’s using humor to convey the absolute absence of any emotional or meaningful connection between Disney Park goers and these two characters. He could have called them punk stoners, would that have hurt your feelings too?

Could have called them state school dropouts (which I guess is the same as punk stoners...)!

I mean, what’s next!? Calling Elsa a lesbian!?!? Who could ever imagine the horrors of such an “assumption”

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Y’all are crazy, and clearly don’t understand humor.

The joke stems from two places- First, Disney (as usual) is pushing characters that we don’t know nor care about in the name of Synergy. It’s cheap and a bore.

Secondly, because we don’t know these characters nor care about them, first impressions do matter.

TP2000 isn’t *actually* saying these characters are twinks or whatever. He’s using humor to convey the absolute absence of any emotional or meaningful connection between Disney Park goers and these two characters. He could have called them punk stoners, would that have hurt your feelings too?

Could have called them state school dropouts (which I guess is the same as punk stoners...)!

I mean, what’s next!? Calling Elsa a lesbian!?!? Who could ever imagine the horrors of such an “assumption”
No, I got the attempt at humor and blatant hyperbole. The issue is the fact that if anyone would have cared to do even 30 seconds of research (something that I know is hard in this age of instant access to information) then assumptions wouldn't have to be made. But no, people on a silly fan board (individuals mind you who should be 100% on top of all things Disney) rather make assumptions all in the name of "humor".

Geez.....

Mickeyboof

No, I got the attempt at humor and blatant hyperbole. The issue is the fact that if anyone would have cared to do even 30 seconds of research (something that I know is hard in this age of instant access to information) then assumptions wouldn't have to be made. But no, people on a silly fan board (individuals mind you who should be 100% on top of all things Disney) rather make assumptions all in the name of "humor".

Geez.....

I’ve seen the trailers. I knw they were brothers.

I still laughed. Why are you so sadden by his joke? It really offends you so much?

Because no matter what orientation, no matter what plot, no matter what family relationship, that skinny dude looks like a twink.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I’ve seen the trailers. I knw they were brothers.

I still laughed. Why are you so sadden by his joke? It really offends you so much?

Because no matter what orientation, no matter what plot, no matter what family relationship, that skinny dude looks like a twink.
You have your opinion, I have mine. I'm glad you found humor on this board, if its not fun its not worth it.

Mickeyboof

The trailers for this movie do nothing for me. Does anyone else think the character in the red shirt looks like the main kid/guy from Ratatouille just tinged blue?

HOW DARE you make such an assumption!? If you would just take 30 seconds to google the this film, you’d find the character in the red shirt has a BROTHER and is NOT from Ratatouille.

I can’t believe someone who posts on a Disney message board (who should be on #top of all things Disney) would make such an assumption.

(s a r c a s m)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
HOW DARE you make such an assumption!? If you would just take 30 seconds to google the this film, you’d find the character in the red shirt has a BROTHER and is NOT from Ratatouille.

I can’t believe someone who posts on a Disney message board (who should be on #top of all things Disney) would make such an assumption.

(s a r c a s m)
giphy.gif

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And Now! For your Monday Night viewing pleasure, the definitive list of Pixar characters and their tribes!

View attachment 451674
Twink (Actual real life twinks are already cosplaying the character! Shocking!)

View attachment 451669
Twunk

View attachment 451673
Daddy

View attachment 451675
Geek

View attachment 451676
Gay or European?

View attachment 451677
Closet Case

View attachment 451680

Straight
Hey, just because I wear an Ascot does not mean I'm a Closet Case.....

Disney Irish

Premium Member
For those curious there has been a rousing discussion on this movie in the film section of the board, ignore the Muppet talk

TP2000

Yes, I'm well aware of your status in the gay community, as you've mentioned it many times here.

Yeah, I'm swinging my purse at everybody over this one. ;)

Also I don't have any issue with the term twink, I'm well aware of it having lived in the Bay Area my whole life. Its just the assumption on your part that I have an issue with. I never once got a gay vibe from that picture, so maybe your gaydar is in need of some maintenance.

As an old guy, I fully admit my gaydar isn't what it once was. But you should see the lumpy n' frumpy folks I socialize with now; at my age it's hard to tell the men from the women, let alone the gays from the straights. 🤣

But I'm honestly confused here... who is it exactly you are offended for? The gays? The Social Club AP's? Miss Joanne Worley and/or Miss Worley's hairdresser? Or the Disney theme park fans who don't do a proper investigation of character development before they pass judgment on a new Disney cartoon?

I'm probably guilty on two of those, but I've never met Miss Worley and the Disneyland Social Club thing just has never been my scene.

I guess I'm confused over which line I allegedly stepped over. :oops:

In related news, I did a Google search and this is the actual LGBTQ+UpWithPeople character in this new Pixar movie. It's the tall purple tinged cyclops lady in the back, and I guess she's a policewoman? Cause that's not a stereotype at all. I imagine she also owns a few Dobermans and has a gal pal named Chris that she plays fast-pitch softball with every Saturday?

Literally a one-eyed Lesbian, which is not a slur Mayor Bloomberg has ever used.
a4ea44f0-51ad-11ea-9d7f-f58dbf15e1e7-e1582391640805-652x400.jpg

Last edited:

Curious Constance

As an old guy, I fully admit my gaydar isn't what it once was. But you should see the lumpy n' frumpy folks I socialize with now; at my age it's hard to tell the men from the women, let alone the gays from the straights. 🤣

But I'm honestly confused here... who is it exactly you are offended for here? The gays? The Social Club AP's? Miss Joanne Worley and/or Miss Joanne Worley's hairdresser? Or the Disney theme park fans who don't do a proper investigation of character development before they pass judgment on a new Disney cartoon?

I'm probably guilty on two of those, but I've never met Miss Worley and the Disneyland Social Club thing just has never been my scene.

I guess I'm just confused over which line I allegedly stepped over. :oops:

In related news, I did a Google search and this is the LGBTQ+UpWithPeople character in this new Pixar movie. It's the tall purple tinged cyclops lady in the back, and I guess she's a policewoman? Cause that's not a stereotype at all. I imagine she also owns a few Dobermans and has a gal pal named Chris that she plays fast-pitch softball with every Saturday?

Literally a one-eyed Lesbian, which is not a slur Mayor Bloomberg has ever used.
Is that the dad from Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs?

Disney Irish

Premium Member

But I'm honestly confused here... who is it exactly you are offended for? The gays? The Social Club AP's? Miss Joanne Worley and/or Miss Joanne Worley's hairdresser? Or the Disney theme park fans who don't do a proper investigation of character development before they pass judgment on a new Disney cartoon?

I guess I'm confused over which line I allegedly stepped over. :oops:

In related news, I did a Google search and this is the LGBTQ+UpWithPeople character in this new Pixar movie. It's the tall purple tinged cyclops lady in the back, and I guess she's a policewoman? Cause that's not a stereotype at all. I imagine she also owns a few Dobermans and has a gal pal named Chris that she plays fast-pitch softball with every Saturday?

Who said I was offended, I wasn't offended. I just would like our little band of misfits here to strive to be a better class of humans. :cool:

I for one am happy that Disney is finally open to more representation to all walks of life, be that in this realm or in the fantasy realm.

Rich T

The film’s getting good (not great, but good) reviews so far. Though I still don’t like most of the character designs or the main plot device, it’s something different from Pixar and looks way better than crud like Secret Life of Pets or Minions.

I think it’ll do well enough, though its biggest problem is that its world-building premise (Like Good Dinosaur’s) is simultaneously too vague and too complicated.

Last edited:

Sharon&Susan

Original Poster
With all the news of Onward preforming similarly to the Good Dinosaur I feel like it's a good time for some pictures of the Meet and Greet at Pixar Pier from Micechat:
1583771927982.png

1583771962559.png

I know since the Pixarmonic Orchestra was cut, the Green Army Men have been preforming here at what was meant to be the entrance of a relocated Turtle Talk. Can anyone confirm if they're now preforming at their original place in Paradise Gardens or if they've been cut too for the time being?

Attachments

• 1583771929054.png
    1583771929054.png
    1 MB · Views: 81

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom