Online Check In - Free Upgrades?

Fashionista007

I have gotten free room upgrades many times at the Disney resorts but I was wondering what are the chances of getting a free upgrade if you do the online check in?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Free upgrades are rare these days and only given out due to operational needs of the resort. Checking in online or at the desk should make no difference.

Upvote 0

Fashionista007

Original Poster
That's a shame. We stayed at the GF once during a buy 7 get 4 nights free promotion. We paid for the standard room and we got upgraded to a Concierge building! It was fantastic :sohappy: Oh well, that just means I'll have to work harder so I can afford the upgraded rooms :)

Upvote 0

brent2124

I booked a room at CBR and was upgraded to the BC in a lagoon view room. It was only a 1 night stay in mid September but it was an amazing surprise.

Upvote 0

TOTGuy

Sorry folks but most of the times upgrades occur due to our room counts. DRC overbooks standard rooms and then we upgrade based on several factors ranging from length of stay, rate paid, etc. As for being "upgraded" from CBR, you were actually walked. That means they didn't have enough rooms and you met the criteria for a walk. Now it was to an upgraded resort, which usually happens in walk situations for the inconvenience, but don't ever expect a comp upgrade. They are based mostly on operational need at most resorts and the fact that it is easier to oversell an standard room and upgrade than a higher category and downgrade.

At the Grand things are done a little differently but don't ever expect a comp upgrade, you are setting yourself up to be disappointed.
:D

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

I hear people say that it's rare for upgrades but it's happend to us twice. Both times we never asked we were just given the upgrade. First time at Contemporary Garden view to tower room. And most recently this september trip upgraded from Polynesian to Grand Floridian. So it does happen just might not happen as often as it use to.

Upvote 0

rob0519

Free Upgrade

We've been fortunate enough to be able to stay at the Contemporary Resort several times. On our last trip in April of 2009 we checked in at the desk and were given two Bay Lake view rooms on about the 6th floor. The pool was under construction with lots of noise and it was the end of spring break with all kinds of loud music.

I asked the front desk if we could have different rooms and she said there were none. So I asked if she could check other resorts to see if maybe we could get away from the noise for at least a few of our seven days.

She went into the back, came back and told us we could have 2 rooms on the concierge level with an MK view at no extra charge. I was shocked, but my family was thrilled. Not sure how or why that happened, but it was a pleasant surprise.

Upvote 0

Phonedave

Using on-line check in I was upgraded to a courtyard view from a woods view this last August at the Wilderness Lodge.

7 night stay on an AP discount if that counts for anything.

-dave

Upvote 0

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
I hear people say that it's rare for upgrades but it's happend to us twice. Both times we never asked we were just given the upgrade. First time at Contemporary Garden view to tower room. And most recently this september trip upgraded from Polynesian to Grand Floridian. So it does happen just might not happen as often as it use to.

I don't think I would consider the Grand an upgrade from the Poly. In fact I'd be pretty hacked if I went to check in and was told that I was being moved from the Poly to the Grand.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

I don't think I would consider the Grand an upgrade from the Poly. In fact I'd be pretty hacked if I went to check in and was told that I was being moved from the Poly to the Grand.

Resort changes are usually told to you ahead of time and you are often given the option to move (unless operational needs really dictate otherwise and it is outside their control).

Upvote 0

wdwwdeagle

Our upgrade history:

2008 - Poly - booked Garden View on MYW pkg., received Garden View Concierge level in Hawaii bldg.
2009 - CR - booked Garden View in the Garden Bldg. on AP discount, received Concierge Level, Bay lake view on 12th floor.
2010 - YC - booked standard view on AP discount, received Lake view (frontside view of lake, pool and boardwalk) on top floor (fantastic room!).
2010 - CR - booked standard view in Garden bldg. on AP discount, received garden view in garden bldg. (not much of a difference, but a little)

In addition to these, we've stayed 5 other times and not received an upgrade... so I'm close to 50% upgrades. Pretty good so far!

I've never used online checkin, but I'm not sure if that makes a difference. One thing I seem to have figured out is that all of our upgrades seem to have been done a few days ahead of our arrival date, I guess when they do the room assignments. Each time we have been upgraded, we've received a new emailed invoice/reservation confirmation a day or two ahead of our arrival date specifying our new room category. If I don't receive a new emailed confirmation a day or two ahead of our trip, I pretty much know we haven't received an upgrade. So, I think asking at the reg. desk is too late, unless there is some problem w/your room and they move you b/c of your inconvenience.

Upvote 0

donaldfan

AGREED!

One time we were moved from the BoardWalk to the Polynesian, otherwise nada, but we almost always stay at a CM other guest bed rate, and the fact that I always get my room request at the Poly makes me a happy camper.
:)

Upvote 0

wdwfan22

To each there own I guess. Don't get me wrong both resorts are nice, but we do feel the Grand has a bit more to offer than the Polynesian.

Upvote 0

TOTGuy

Most of the time we offer Walks first thing. We try to never force anyone to move. People get pretty indignant about being offered a walk. Like we insulted them. I would take it as an opportunity to try something new and usually you get an upgraded category, like concierge from a garden view. Usually as a compensation.

Upvote 0

Kristamouse

As I have only stayed at the Values we have not recieved any up grades...I don't think there are any there. We are staying at PORS for the 1st time on 10/1 and can't think of an upgrade there either...unless we change resorts...so WDW if you are reading I would spend LOTS more money on merch if you bumped me to a Delux:goodnevil

Upvote 0

smk

As I have only stayed at the Values we have not recieved any up grades...I don't think there are any there. We are staying at PORS for the 1st time on 10/1 and can't think of an upgrade there either...unless we change resorts...so WDW if you are reading I would spend LOTS more money on merch if you bumped me to a Delux:goodnevil
June 2006 we were staying at the Poly and met a family at the pool that had been upgraded from All Star Movies to the Poly. They had no idea that they got a great deal until we told them. I am staying at a value next week :sohappy: and I don't care if I get upgraded. I am so stinking excited about just being there!!

Upvote 0

MillerPoppins

June 2006 we were staying at the Poly and met a family at the pool that had been upgraded from All Star Movies to the Poly. They had no idea that they got a great deal until we told them. I am staying at a value next week :sohappy: and I don't care if I get upgraded. I am so stinking excited about just being there!!

Amen. I do not expect at all to be upgraded from a Value. And that's fine because I'll just be thrilled to be in the "World".

Upvote 0

todai

Just a side question to this topic...

How do you request a section? Can I do it with the online check-in? Everyone seems to prefer the Aligator Biyou (SP?) for PORS, so I thought maybe we should ask for that?
:shrug:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Just a side question to this topic...

How do you request a section? Can I do it with the online check-in? Everyone seems to prefer the Aligator Biyou (SP?) for PORS, so I thought maybe we should ask for that?
:shrug:
You will want to make the request when you make your reservation. If you have already made the reservation call back and have them add on the request.

I like Alligator Bayou because it has a much more natural, wild and rustic feel to it compared to the manicured perfection of the Mansions. The rooms however, aside from decor, have identical layouts and square footage save for a trundle bed in some of the alligator bayou section rooms.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom