One Sentence Competition Season 6, Episode 3 - California Adventure

Suchomimus

CALIFORNIA ROAD TRIP

STOP #8: DISNEYLAND RESORT
dlr-dca-vignette-16x9.jpg

Welcome back to the Disneyland Resort! We started here on our first stop, and now we're here for the final leg of the journey. We're tired from driving around the state, so we need a place to stay. And that's where you come in!

-Challenge-
Design a new hotel for the Disneyland Resort

-Rules-

You may use between 1 and 3 sentences and up to 1 image. The deadline is Tuesday, April 20th at 9:00 PM EST. Look for feedback and results no later than 10:00 PM EST that night, along with the next prompt.

-Tips-
K.I.S.S. – Keep it simple, silly. Try not to complicate or overthink things too much. It’s a simple, casual competition – there are no eliminations. Propose as you please!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it (generally) realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good luck everyone! If you have questions, please feel free to ask! Enjoy!

Disney's South Seas Resort
3e841e13dce6a782399c18753f59a802.jpg
Disney's South Seas Resort; rather than outright copying Disney's Polynesian or Aulani; aims to marry the love and appeal of the South Seas with the sleekness of Art Deco. Each of the 5 main villas (Diesel Bay, Fiji, Aitutaki, Samoa, and Hawaii) have their own styles and center around a scaled down but equally beautiful version of Mount Pele from Mount Pele Water Park. Other recreations include dining in a Hawaiian Longhouse, a spa in a Fijian Bure, and 2 kid's clubs in the Great Ceremonial House; one for Moana and the other themed to the Rocketeer.
FINAL BONUSES

SIDE TRIP #4 - CALIFORNIA'S GREAT AMERICA

Californias-Great-America-with-Kids-Carousel-Columbia.jpg

A medium-sized regional amusement park operated by Cedar Fair, serving Santa Clara and the greater Bay Area, California’s Great America is most known for its Gold Striker wooden coaster and as the filming location for Beverly Hills Cop III.

Challenge
Create a live show for California’s Great Adventure.
Apollo_11main_resize_md.jpg

Dance of Apollo and Selene
An serene, orchestral nighttime spectacular about the fascination of outer space.
SIDE TRIP #5 - GILROY GARDENS

Gilroy-Gardens2.jpg

This obscure, adorable family theme park began as a botanical garden known for its Circus Trees. Gilroy Gardens resides in the quaint farming town of Gilroy, famed for its annual Gilroy Garlic Festival.

Challenge
Create a festival for Gilroy Gardens.
101ec8fd03b332e23de7061869aa2903.png

Gilroy Gardens Friends from the Farm
The animals and the people who help raise them have come down to Gilroy Gardens in a festival where guests can get a firsthand experience of raising and caring for livestock, as well as getting locally sourced food and products.

Last edited:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
View attachment 549921
AVENGER'S TOWER HOTEL & SUITES

This replacement for Paradise Hotel will resemble the iconic Avenger's Tower from the original Avengers' MCU Films and will be the perfect companion to the newly opened Avenger's Campus. Have breakfast , lunch, dinner with your favorite Avenger's in our character restaurants. Coming July 2021
Nice! This would be a good choice especially with the Avengers Campus expansion to DCA. Good job!
Mississippi Riverside Port Hotel
View attachment 549941
With the many changes coming to Critter Country due to PATF Mountain, a new New Orleans themed hotel will spout at the back of the land. As you check into the hotel, listen to the jazz bands that play in the lobby or maybe keep an eye out for the prestigious Tiana's Palace restaurant which for the first time in the Disneyland Resort's history will serve alcoholic Mint Juleps. Afterwards visit the Lewis and Clark Explorer's Pool, which includes a steamboat waterslide along with along with a replica of Disneyland's lost Cascade Peak splashing guests with tons of water!
Ooh I love the way it blends NOS into a resort back there, similar to Grand Californian to DCA. Brilliant idea and wonderful way of tying in the culture and a relevant IP to the area.

View attachment 549930THE TOONTOWN HOTEL
Welcome to the Toontown Hotel, the wackiest place in downtown Toontown, as Toons can enjoy their vacation in the hotel as Granny cleaning her stuff as Tweety and Sylvester were fighting each other, as Goofy can be bell hopper, but you can go to escalator room as we meet up with Droopy Dog as hopper to lift way up the tower until 500th floor as he said "Goin' up sir?", as we can encounter Toon cameos such as Genie in his bath tub, Lena Hyena, a speeding train, Toons fighting their foods at a cafe, Betty Boop and Olive Oyl fighting for Popeye, Casper the Friendly Ghost, and more. As we are enter the no floor as we looked down the many miles away from the downtown Toontown as we are falling down faster as we meet with Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny, as we crashed into the floor as we will see falling stars around us. This ride is like parody of Tower of Terror but it's a friendly-family thrill drop tower ride, it will has awesome special effect such as falling stars around them, Droopy Dog animatronic, and more. You can also stay in hotel as for three day for vacation with Toon meet & greet characters such as Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Goofy, Roger Rabbit, etc...there was food buffert such as Mickey's Diner and Clarabelle's Ice Cream Bar, there's also Roger Rabbit's Bunny Hop Dance Party, as the guests will stay their rooms themed to Disney characters also non-Disney characters. Location at Mickey's Toontown at Disneyland. This ride will make you a lot of scream and comedy.
Nice job here! While the sentences are bit long winded, I think the idea of a Toontown Hotel is something that would be really neat! I've seen it done before a few times, in particular in SYWTBAI Season 8, but this is still a great idea.
DISNEY’S GRAND MADRID RESORT AND SKYLOUNGE

View attachment 549951This resort features premium Disney Resort amenities, with an artful touch. Classy architecture and decor, a full spa, and physical fitness coaching can all be found here. But the crown jewel is no doubt the rooftop pool and restaurant, offering breathtaking views of Disneyland and Disney’s California Adventure six stories in the air.​
Ohh wow, you might have sold me with that pool. While the decor might stand out a bit in Disneyland, that pool concept of seeing both parks is a real seller, but where would this be located is the question in order to offer these views?
THE GRAND WESTVIEW HOTEL

View attachment 549960

As part of DisneylandForward, we’re moving forward with a brand new hotel coming to the Disneyland Resort where the Toy Story Parking Lot used to be: The Grand WestView Hotel, inspired by the Disney+ hit series, WandaVision.

In order to make up for accidentally taking over WestView, Wanda Maximoff with the help of Doctor Strange has created a brand new tourist destination, The Grand WestView Hotel, which will drive up the tourism at WestView and help improve the lives of its citizens; at this one of a kind hotel, you’ll be able to meet some of your favorite Marvel characters like Wanda Maximoff, The Vision, Monica Rambeau, Doctor Strange and Agatha Harkness.

Visit The Grand WestView Hotel, where each of its six floors will be themed to a different decade, from the 1950s to the 2000s, while the lobby will be inspired by Doctor Strange’s Sanctum Sanctorum; throughout the hotel, you’ll be able to find interactive experiences like Agatha’s Basement, where you’ll help Billy and Tommy try to steal the Darkhold, and there will also be a character dining offering.​
Ohh this is like a stacked Pop Century, very neat idea! While I was a bit hesitant at first with the name of WestView, I think bringing in the different decades of the show would be an awesome premise for a hotel and a way to utilize the property!
Disneyland's Wonderland Hotel
54571e4852f4ed1fe3e40e3661a0674e.jpg
Ever wonder what it would be like to live in Wonderland? Well, now one has the chance if they book a room at this new hotel where nothing seems to make sense. There's Tulgey Wood-themed bedrooms, an eatery owned by the Walrus and the Carpenter, a gigantic pool where Caucus Races are hosted once a day, and plenty of Wonderland's residents running amok!
This would be a fun idea - a Wonderland hotel would be very scenic for sure, and mystical.
DISNEYLAND PROMPT

AVENGERS TOWER

View attachment 550186

Experience a vacation superhero style in the palatial Avengers Tower, where guests experience top-notch New York-style pizza and sandwiches, a pool and slide inspired by the mindbending powers of Dr. Strange, and of course, a secret entrance into DCA via Avengers Campus!
Ohh...Avengers Tower!
tenor.gif

I like the little detail of the entrance into DCA though - nice touch!

Stop #8: Monstropolis Plaza Hotel

site_28_rand_1035975097_monsters_627.gif

Ever since Monstropolis has started to open its doors to humans, this top-notch hotel has become a wondrous vacation spot with services and amenities so good, it's almost scary!
Good thought with this! I would have liked to know the location - by Pixar Pier maybe? But still this would be a fun experience!

KING STEPHEN VACATION PALACE

Have you ever wated to feel like a princess or a knight? At this Deluxe hotel you'll be able to live the adventure of your dreams in a Middle Ages-inspired environment with modern facilities of course - including a pool that goes all around the palace, themed to a crocodiles-infested moat.
You can choose among different suites themed to the most popular Disney Princesses (Frozen, Cinderella,...) or Heroes (Peter Pan, Robin Hood,...)
Oh very nice, this would be super interesting and unique for Disneyland!
Disneyland Resort: Roma Domus Magnus (Grand House of Rome)
32310_the-roman-villa-of-los-cantos-in-bullas_11505992069_large.jpg
A grand new hotel resembling a Roman villa, small in size, but fantastically designed from its guest rooms to its swimming pool, complete with the sauna taking the form of Roman baths, and magnificent gardens for guests to explore.
Oh wow, very interesting , reminds me a bit of the Venetian that was originally for the Seven Seas Lagoon, nice thought here!

D Hulk

BONUS REVIEWS
#4: CALIFORNIA'S GREAT AMERICA
BONUS #4 ENTRY

View attachment 549929
AMERICA'S TRIMUMPH!

A night time water show celebrating America playing classic American Pride songs with lights and colorful water jets shooting out streams of red, white, and blue water for all to see with fireworks!
This would be appropriate and charming for this park. Knowing their layout and water features, this "Trimumph" (sic) would most likely occupy that iconic entrance fountain. That would make this a lovely atmospheric/ambiance show like Tree of Life Awakenings.
You're On Thin Ice, Charlie Brown!
View attachment 549938
A musical ice skating show featuring the Peanuts gang, about Charlie Brown facing his fears of being embarrassed to figure skate in front of the Little Red Haired girl.
These Cedar Fair prompts always inspire Peanuts ideas, which...I get it, that's the Cedar Fair IP, and Disney has taught us that theme parks are exclusively a venue for preexisting ideas. Let's move past that! With smaller parks like these, there's untapped potential. They can be blank canvases for original ideas you cannot do at Disney!

That said, a "Snoopy on Ice" idea has merit and an established history. I recall seeing shows just like this down at Knott's.
BONUS 4:

BAY AREA BAND BATTLE

View attachment 549942

The Bay area’s thriving local music scene will descend on California’s Great America for a summer long battle of the bands, featuring five different bands performing half hour sets every Friday all summer long.
Great idea tying your show into the local culture. This is 100% realistic. It's just the sort of summertime concert thing venues like Great America sometimes do. I could see this event spreading to the larger convention center / sport arena area surrounding the park.
WE’RE IN THIS TOGETHER: THE BONUS: THE MUSICAL

View attachment 549958

California’s Great America has decided to create a musical dedicated to honor the diverse voices that have helped shape the United States of America.​
Seizing on the idea of America, which is the closest thing this amusement park has to a theme, is a good starting point. I am intrigued by this, and would like to know a little more about the creative forces behind the musical.
The Many Faces of Snoopy
An exciting show dedicated to all of Snoopy's different alter egos - a World War I flying ace, a Beagle Scout, Joe Cool etc. - with Charlie Brown, Linus, Lucy, and the rest of his Peanuts pals dragged into the fun!
This works as a smaller show in the Snoopy area, something at the scale of Disneyland's Fantasy Faire Theater. It would be really fun to get some audience interactivity, which would especially appeal to younger audiences.
CALIFORNIA'S GREAT ADVENTURE PROMPT

SNOOPY AND THE PEANUTS SQUADRON

Join the Peanuts gang on a high flying stunt show where they have to support Snoopy on his quest to fight that dreadful Red Baron!
Again with the Peanuts!

Stunt shows are always crowd pleasers. There are other ways you could theme this. I mean, of course there's a western section in the park, every regional park has a western section, so it didn't have to be Snoopy once again.
Side Trip #4: County Fair Concert Showcase

55ae660250d36.image.jpg

It wouldn't be a county fair without some good music among the rides and games, so this new show brings a great mix of country and bluegrass music to the festivities!​
Ooh, I like this! Like a more homespun version of Tegan's rock concerts, activating an old timey Americana which this park could potentially capitalize upon. Very, very doable, like a show borrowed from Knott's.

THE MAGIC CAROUSEL

A nighttime show themed to a magical carousel whose figures come to life and engage in acrobatics and dance, covered in led costumes.
This is an extremely intriguing proposal, like a regional park Cirque du Soleil. I like how you've taken the park's fairly standard icon (its carousel), and spun something magical out of it!

California's Great Adventure: Lantern of Freedom
intro-1589384038.jpg
Paul Revere's iconic lantern burns brightly, summoning a spectacular fireworks festival that embodies the freedom and liberty that America adopted during its days of revolution.
Capitalizing nicely on the American theme! While it's not clear if fireworks would be technically allowable in the area - probably yes, thanks to the stadium nearly - I like this boldness. Very few parks at this scale do fireworks.

Apollo_11main_resize_md.jpg

Dance of Apollo and Selene
An serene, orchestral nighttime spectacular about the fascination of outer space.
I like it! This has the potential for transcendent beauty, similar to the carousel show. Outer space is a timeless topic.

BONUS REVIEWS
#5: GILROY GARDENS

BONUS #5
View attachment 549933
DRINK OF GARLIC FESTIVAL

Forget the food this one is all about the drinks baby, every type of garlic drink you can come up with including beer and wine!!!!
Doing a drinkable garlic festival perhaps isn't especially out-of-the-box, since the prompt cited the local Gilroy Garlic Festival as its inspiration, but...I'd still visit. Garlic beer both tempts me and terrifies me.

The Lumberjack Festival
View attachment 549940
Come and see lumberjack and woodcarvers show off their craft in this late summer festival, make sure to buy an authentic home made souvenir before you leave!
Oh, this would be so much fun! And between the park's water features and under-utilized amphitheaters, it's easy to see them doing this. Gilroy Gardens is less a true theme park than it is a local arboretum with some ride, so charming little ideas like this suit it very nicely.
BONUS 5:

GILROY GARDENS CITRUS FESTIVAL

View attachment 549943

Celebrate California’s incredible citrus industry at this county fair style tasting event, featuring a plethora of dishes from independent Californian citrus growers.
Mmm, citrus...

BONUS 2: THE GREAT ORANGE FESTIVAL

View attachment 549957

Come to Gilroy Gardens and enjoy the most delicious orange based products that the state of California has to offer.​
Mmm, citrus...

Gil's Garlic Festival
http3A2F2Fgilroydispatch.blvds_.com2Fassets2F6b9e0c457608f9d5289096ac054b480d.jpg
The smelliest event of the year, Gil's Garlic Festival celebrates the fact that Gilroy Gardens' mascot is a garlic clove with all sorts of garlicy foods, live musicians singing about garlic, and the scent of garlic being pumped through the whole park!
Mmm, garlic...

Hmm, it seems this was maybe kind of a restricting prompt? No matter. I love your inclusion of Gil; that shows you did your research. (Or you've been to Gilroy Gardens, and if anyone here has it would honestly surprise me.)
GILROY GARDENS PROMPT

GILROY GARDEN'S FARMER'S FESTIVAL

View attachment 550217

Fusing the normal idea of a theme park food and wine festival with the locavore mentality of Californians, this will showcase not just local foods, but local fresh produce, small-batch goods, crafts like blacksmithing and woodworking, and live entertainment local to the area.
Equal parts farmer's market and Ren Faire, totally befitting the region's agricultural root and its do-it-yourself verve. Yeah, this sort of simple small town celebration is perfect for GG.
Side Trip #5: Three-Ring Circus Tree Festival

circus-tree-gilroy-gardens.jpg

Step right up for this astounding festival of fun, bringing together colorful circus sights like clowns and acrobats with the wonders of nature, like Gilroy Garden's iconic Circus Trees!​
Those Circus Trees really are something. They're otherworldly and adorable and oh so iconoclastic. I love the notion of framing a whole big top event around them.

APPLE PIE AND MORE FESTIVAL

Here you'll discover that there are many ways you can eat an apple
Mmm, apples...

Gilroy Gardens: Vegie Vamps!
5569937146_bbf104de60_o.jpg
A Halloween festival where the monsters of the dark, unable to manifest in their true, terrifying visages, are forced to materialise as frightening plants and vegetables!
This is probably the most creative festival idea. Good call thinking beyond the basic harvest festival setup and settling on Halloween. Great call making your spook-tacular distinctly "Gilroy."

101ec8fd03b332e23de7061869aa2903.png

Gilroy Gardens Friends from the Farm
The animals and the people who help raise them have come down to Gilroy Gardens in a festival where guests can get a firsthand experience of raising and caring for livestock, as well as getting locally sourced food and products.
Another good festival idea which finds a new way to incorporate the local farming culture. This would be very child-friendly, which is just where this park excels.​

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Disney's South Seas Resort
3e841e13dce6a782399c18753f59a802.jpg
Disney's South Seas Resort; rather than outright copying Disney's Polynesian or Aulani; aims to marry the love and appeal of the South Seas with the sleekness of Art Deco. Each of the 5 main villas (Diesel Bay, Fiji, Aitutaki, Samoa, and Hawaii) have their own styles and center around a scaled down but equally beautiful version of Mount Pele from Mount Pele Water Park. Other recreations include dining in a Hawaiian Longhouse, a spa in a Fijian Bure, and 2 kid's clubs in the Great Ceremonial House; one for Moana and the other themed to the Rocketeer.
I like the comparisons to Poly in a way but also how it differs as well. A nice job describing everything though!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Results!

Ps5WGu1.png

Avengers Towers
@1HAPPYGHOSTHOST and @Solaris Knight
Both fine ideas that stand out as excellent hotels for the area and would fit in perfectly with Avengers Campus

L30Y5yp.png

@Suchomimus and @Evilgidgit
While both towards the end of the round, each offered something that pulled from one of the original hotels, but made it their own in such a way that it stands out from the pack

zihTg3C.png

@DisneyFan18 and @Tegan pilots a chicken
Both projects were wonderful in how they offered something new to the guests of Disneyland

DrRz15D.png

@Sharon&Susan
This really brought out the best in what I was hoping for from this project. A resort that brought something new to Disneyland, but also enhanced the guest experience and in-park experience too - bravo!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
FINAL Standings
@Sharon&Susan - 25
@Tegan pilots a chicken - 23
@Evilgidgit - 22
@DisneyFan18 - 22
@Solaris Knight - 19
@Suchomimus - 18
@DashHaber - 18
@Brer Panther - 17
@Ludpat Mike - 16
@TwilightZone - 9
@ThemeParkPriest - 9
@TheSquirrel - 9
@Sam4D23 - 8
@1HAPPYGHOSTHOST - 7
@MickeyWaffleCo. - 7
@D Hulk - 6
@Honey Bee - 6
@DisneyFan32 - 5
@NateD1226 - 4
@pix - 3
@Disney Dad 3000 - 3

@Outbound - 3
@JokersWild - 2
@tcool123 - 1

Congrats to

3rd Place Tie! (@Evilgidgit and @DisneyFan18 )

2nd Place @Tegan pilots a chicken

and to our new One Sentence Competition winner...

1st Place @Sharon&Susan

Thanks to everyone for playing and coming along on this road trip - we'll see ya real soon!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom