One Sentence Competition - Season 4 Episode 4

James G.

Yea, it was me who whined about the challenge, and @MickeyMousketeer is a good enough person not to call it whining;) I've been thinking about this challenge since it was posted, and just couldn't get past the "realism" part, since that is something I've long preached while competing and judging Theme Park Apprentice over in Theme Park Insider. I guess I built myself a wall that I couldn't get past, and now I've run out of time for this challenge due to work schedule. I'll be back, and the proposal already posted shows that it can be worked around professionally and creatively. I'll be back for the next round!

spacemt354

Chili's
Ok, I will get it reviewed later today.

And please do PM as to why it was such a mess!! This round was dead compared to others.
I don't think it was a mess, but something I've noticed from hosting this comp before is each round is longer than usual and more complex with dual challenges and duel bonuses

With OLS going on, and it being the fall, that might contribute to it and this round might just be those factors coming to a head.

My advice would be to cut the duel challenges and just have duel bonuses if need be to keep the theme, and reduce the time per challenge. Also i haven't seen the point standings updated at the end of each round after the medals so idk where everyone ranks

This is the one sentence comp so theoretically it shouldn't take much brain power to come up with an idea for this comp. It's an elevator pitch. If you do that I think you'll be in good shape.

spacemt354

Chili's
I don't think it was a mess, but something I've noticed from hosting this comp before is each round is longer than usual and more complex with dual challenges and duel bonuses

With OLS going on, and it being the fall, that might contribute to it and this round might just be those factors coming to a head.

My advice would be to cut the duel challenges and just have duel bonuses if need be to keep the theme, and reduce the time per challenge. Also i haven't seen the point standings updated at the end of each round after the medals so idk where everyone ranks

This is the one sentence comp so theoretically it shouldn't take much brain power to come up with an idea for this comp. It's an elevator pitch. If you do that I think you'll be in good shape.
Also for this tokyo challenge, it felt like you needed two challenges and just kind of winged it for both which contributed to the realism talk. I think if you only had to come up with one challenge youd be able to think about it enough and itll be a much better prompt!

MickeyMousketeer

Original Poster
Tomorrow will be the last day of the controversial Tokyo prompt.

The review for @TwilightZone will be posted at 5:59 PM EST, with the next challenge posted right then.

With the next challenge in mind, this is how it will be set up. There will be one challenge for the castle park, but there will be two bonuses: one for the castle park and one for the second park. This way, it'll be a bit easier on all of us, and it will still fit in with the theme, Double Trouble. Instead of being due on Friday at 8:59 PM EST, it will be due Saturday at 8:59 PM EST.

Let's all get past this challenge, and I hope you all enjoy the new layout.

MickeyMousketeer

Original Poster
Hey everyone!

Just an update -- I am in the process of seeing if somebody can take over the rest of the competition. I hate doing so, as this would be the second time in a row someone had to call in a replacement host.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to catch up with hosting, and I've always been late with things. Life has just caught me, and I have to work around with that, as most of you would understand.

Thank you to all who participated and those who gave me a chance to host, I'd love to do so in the future, once I can make time for it to happen.

James G.

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!! Sorry, that's about as dramatic as I get. Things in One Sentence Competition just got really weird for everyone, especially me. @MickeyMousketeer has asked me to take over the rest of Season Four Episode Four, and I know this has been a difficult decision for him to make. I've accepted, and that was an even MORE difficult decision to make! Why me? Good question, but it's happened and I want to share with you a few things about the rest of the competition that might help explain, both "why me" and what's coming for the rest of the competition.

Why me? @James G. who? Yes, I'm a complete newbie to WDWMagic and have never competed in any competition on this site, but as far as never competing...over on a great site called Theme Park Insider (check it out if you haven't already) I've been competing in Theme Park Apprentice competitions since 2010. I was the winner of Water Park Apprentice and the Tournament of Champions, first runner up in TPA2,3 and 6.1, and judged in seasons 4,5,and 7. I'm not new to theme park competitions, and my creation in TPA 6.1 led to my creation of the Americana Resort, a theme park resort I've been creating for years that is evolving into a complex of five parks, an entertainment/shopping complex, a dozen hotels...but I wander. OSC? I'm a newbie. Design competitions? I'm ready.

I've got plenty of behind-the-scenes help available from several experienced WDWMagic Imagineers, but I can't promise that there won't be a few bumps in the road. I am asking you to please, PLEASE do two things for me: 1) be understanding when we hit the bumps. We WILL get things worked out, and 2) PLEASE STICK WITH THE COMPETITION TO THE END!! I don't take rejection well...I cry easily...it's not a pretty scene ;).

Here are the tentative dates for the rest of the competition (and since this is a bit of a reboot I'm starting over with the Challenge #:
Nov. 2nd Challenge 1a posted
Nov.10th Challenge 1a deadline at 10 p.m. E.T.
Challenge 2a posted at 10 p.m. E.T.
Nov.17th Challenge 2a deadline at 10 p.m. E.T.
Challenge 3a posted at 10 p.m. E.T.
Nov. 24th Challenge 3a deadline at 10 p.m. E.T.
Nov. 25th Winner announced

All these dates and times are probably going to hold, but there is always a possibility of changes. We will ONLY change if we have to and will let you all know a.s.a.p.

You might be wondering about the scoring and what to do about the fact that I've already been competing in the round. Right now, at this time, I intend to renounce my wins and places. This will do some shifting in the rankings, but that's for the best. More to come with this.

OK, that's probably enough for right now. Please feel free to contact me with questions, suggestions, polite threats, etc. I do work for a living and won't be able to respond until later today, but I will when I can. To those who have offered me assistance with this, thank you in advance. This might prove how strong our friendships are!

Pi on my Cake

In the Parks
Yes
Hey everyone!

Just an update -- I am in the process of seeing if somebody can take over the rest of the competition. I hate doing so, as this would be the second time in a row someone had to call in a replacement host.

Unfortunately, I have not been able to catch up with hosting, and I've always been late with things. Life has just caught me, and I have to work around with that, as most of you would understand.

Thank you to all who participated and those who gave me a chance to host, I'd love to do so in the future, once I can make time for it to happen.
I know I wasn't able to be active, but you had some great, ambitious ideas for the competition! You should be proud of what you were able to do. Hope everything is going ok and can't wait to see what you'll do in the future!

ANNOUNCEMENT!!!!! Sorry, that's about as dramatic as I get. Things in One Sentence Competition just got really weird for everyone, especially me. @MickeyMousketeer has asked me to take over the rest of Season Four Episode Four, and I know this has been a difficult decision for him to make. I've accepted, and that was an even MORE difficult decision to make! Why me? Good question, but it's happened and I want to share with you a few things about the rest of the competition that might help explain, both "why me" and what's coming for the rest of the competition.

Why me? @James G. who? Yes, I'm a complete newbie to WDWMagic and have never competed in any competition on this site, but as far as never competing...over on a great site called Theme Park Insider (check it out if you haven't already) I've been competing in Theme Park Apprentice competitions since 2010. I was the winner of Water Park Apprentice and the Tournament of Champions, first runner up in TPA2,3 and 6.1, and judged in seasons 4,5,and 7. I'm not new to theme park competitions, and my creation in TPA 6.1 led to my creation of the Americana Resort, a theme park resort I've been creating for years that is evolving into a complex of five parks, an entertainment/shopping complex, a dozen hotels...but I wander. OSC? I'm a newbie. Design competitions? I'm ready.

I've got plenty of behind-the-scenes help available from several experienced WDWMagic Imagineers, but I can't promise that there won't be a few bumps in the road. I am asking you to please, PLEASE do two things for me: 1) be understanding when we hit the bumps. We WILL get things worked out, and 2) PLEASE STICK WITH THE COMPETITION TO THE END!! I don't take rejection well...I cry easily...it's not a pretty scene ;).

Here are the tentative dates for the rest of the competition (and since this is a bit of a reboot I'm starting over with the Challenge #:
Nov. 2nd Challenge 1a posted
Nov.10th Challenge 1a deadline at 10 p.m. E.T.
Challenge 2a posted at 10 p.m. E.T.
Nov.17th Challenge 2a deadline at 10 p.m. E.T.
Challenge 3a posted at 10 p.m. E.T.
Nov. 24th Challenge 3a deadline at 10 p.m. E.T.
Nov. 25th Winner announced

All these dates and times are probably going to hold, but there is always a possibility of changes. We will ONLY change if we have to and will let you all know a.s.a.p.

You might be wondering about the scoring and what to do about the fact that I've already been competing in the round. Right now, at this time, I intend to renounce my wins and places. This will do some shifting in the rankings, but that's for the best. More to come with this.

OK, that's probably enough for right now. Please feel free to contact me with questions, suggestions, polite threats, etc. I do work for a living and won't be able to respond until later today, but I will when I can. To those who have offered me assistance with this, thank you in advance. This might prove how strong our friendships are!

You may be a newer member, but you definitely seem more than capable to me! Can't wait to see what you can do with your mini version of the competition!

James G.

Here's just a few things you might want to know about me and the rest of the competition. First of all, I'm not a die-hard-go-to-Disneyland-WDW-monthly guy. I live in Ohio. Cedar Point is about 45 minutes away, so I'm a coaster guy. Also a historic rides guy. That being said, I've probably been a Disney fan longer than most of you have been alive. I remember well the evening when the nightly news announced that Walt Disney had died. It was 1966 and I was ten years old. My parents hadn't heard what happened and wondered why I was crying so hard.

Now what will I be judging on? Reality. Disney likes to dream, and dream big, but if you share that penchant to dream big you'd better be able to back it up with a convincing argument in two sentences or less. Wait a minute...did he just say two sentences? Yes, two sentences, not three. I'm going back- way back- to the early days of OSC. I was tempted to go with just one sentence, and frankly if you can do it in one sentence you might win some brownie points with the judge. Also, no pictures. No videos. No audio files. Just words. I love the phrase "Paint with words." Describe to me what you want me to see in the best, most evocative words you can create...and spell things properly. Use good grammar. Commas can be your friend.

When I say I like reality, that doesn't mean I don't encourage out-of-the-box thinking. I love the unexpected, the rarely-used, the forgotten idea turned into brilliance. What I don't want is a phrase resembling "and then a miracle occurs" or using the claim that Disney Imagineers have perfected teleporter technology or have discovered anti-gravity animatronics.

OK, I think I've probably gotten you all either totally confused or looking on how to delete this entire website. I hope that neither actually happens, and that you'll check in here tomorrow evening, probably around 10 p.m. E.T., for Challenge 1a, which will consist of one challenge and one bonus (with just one sentence allowed for the bonus...and no extra media either), both of which will be brilliant (or I hope so, which I'll know as soon as I get them written).

Stay in touch, and I'll see you Friday evening!!

Last edited:

James G.

OK, I couldn't wait, so here is:

1541208925520.png

(just pretend there's an "a" after it)

Before I post it (stop groaning, this won't take long) I want you all to know that I've decided to once again go back to the beginning of the OSC and not award points for the rest of the competition. Switching horses in the middle of the stream caused enough confusion, plus if you're competing for some sort of prestigious prize remember that the leg lamp in "A Christmas Story" was a major award. You want a major award? Go to your nearest Hallmark store and buy a leg lamp ornament for your Christmas tree. What I can offer you is my honest critique of your responses to the challenge. I will try my best to be honest and fair, and I promise any criticism I give will be intended only to be constructive. This is a fun competition, and I hope you have seen that I'm already having fun with this!

I know, I know, @James G. , shut up and post it already!

Create a dark ride for any Castle park you choose. It must be based on a live-action Disney film premiered before 1970. It may have some animation in it, but it can’t be a traditional “cartoon” film. Mary Poppins cannot be used- too easy to use and done too often by like-minded competitions, including this one.

Bonus- Describe a parade float based on this dark ride for any Disney parade.

There it is. You have until 10 p.m. E.T. on Saturday, Nov. 10th to post your ideas. GO!!

spacemt354

Chili's
A dark ride inspired by the 1967 film The Happiest Millionaire (the final film Walt Disney had involvement in) will become a permanent fixture in Disneyland, California as an 'off Main Street' C-Ticket attraction. Explore your 'fortuosity' as you meander through the 1910s in America featuring the classic soundtrack by Richard and Robert Sherman, adding to the nostalgia and proper inclusion of the film as a Disney attraction given their eclectic attraction scores throughout the resorts.

Bonus: A float not unlike many in the former Main Street Electrical Parade, The Happiest Millionaire design would feature the cast of characters from the film dancing atop a glistening float as well as an animatronic pet alligator on a leash.

TwilightZone

The absent minded professor: the ride
220px-The_Absent-Minded_Professor_-_1963_-_Poster.png

With disneyland paris being one of the few parks without a test-track styled ride, paris will now get the absent minded professor in discoveryland, replacing buzz lightyear. The ride will follow all of the crazy things that follow after Dr. Brainard invents flubber: a basketball game, the military using flubber in explosive tests, robberies and more!

BONUS: In a new parade for disneyland paris showcasing all of the lands, the absent minded professor will be the headliner of the discoveryland float, complete with "bouncing flubber" (think dash from paint the night).

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Zorro

1541388435475.png

Disneyland California needs an attraction which represents the struggles of the people who actually guided the state to glory as the fourth largest economy in the world, and Zorro will guide the people through a unique experience where he fights off the evils of capitalism and greed with a short thrill experience about halfway through so that both natives and settlers, represented properly, addresses the modern suburban spread that threatens our environment.

BONUS: Zorro will have a float that leads with our hero, with fire raging out (tied in with the ride, which has a scene where he sets fire to a manufacturing facility), and after the float gluten free candies are given out to children by cast members dressed in certified authentic Mexican garb, in remembrance of when California was a Mexican state.

D Hulk

VICTORY THROUGH AIR POWER

Coming to World Bazaar in Tokyo Disneyland is a dark ride based on Walt’s beloved and super-popular WWII propaganda film, where guests magically soar from an aircraft carrier on Doolittle’s Enchanting Raid, complete with an immersive flyover of vintage Tokyo.

MDBD2.jpeg

Bonus: Tokyo’s Dreamlights is plussed with a float depicting the gigantic eagle (representing the USA) triumphing over the evil octopus (representing Japan), in a scene which is sure not offend anybody watching.

Evilgidgit

So Dear To My Heart
So-Dear-Title-card.jpg

Trotting its way into Tokyo Disneyland's Critter Country is a dark ride based on the 1949 film, replacing Racket's Raccoon Saloon, with the welcoming sight of a bright red barn as the entranceway. Through the Kincaid farm, and accompanied by the melodies of Burl Ives, the carts travel through the film's story, eventually winding through an animated storybook sequence featuring the black lamb Danny, the teacher Owl, and the morals and songs learnt in the movie, before a finale based around the animal county fair.

Bonus: So Dear To My Heart is included in Tokyo Dreamlights, with sparking green hills from an Indiana farm, Danny standing proud with his blue ribbon at the front of the float, with the Owl perched atop, reading from his storybook about the songs.

James G.

OSC 1a critiques
Yea, I know I’m a bit early, but I’ve got to get up early again tomorrow for work and I’m ready to post these. I hope you find them helpful, constructive, light-hearted when appropriate and encouraging where needed. Also, remember that this is just one guy’s opinion, and that one guy might be full of… uh…for those of you who’ve been to Disneyland Paris, I might be full of merde. No arguments there. I had a great time reading them and critiquing them.

@spacemt354
“The Happiest Millionaire”- terrific choice for this challenge. This is a classic Disney film with a catchy score that needs to be reintroduced to the general public, and locating it on (or just off) Main Street is a great touch. Main Street U.S.A. has always needed more attractions, and this fills that need perfectly with a period-appropriate theme. I wouldn’t have thought of including it as a float in the Main Street Electrical Parade, but when you used the word “glistening” I could see how it would fit perfectly…and I’d love to see the animatronic alligator and the crowd’s reaction to it. This would reintroduce a valuable part of Disney’s history to modern audiences who now hear “Disney” and think “animated.” Hopefully the Disney Company would rerelease this film theatrically in conjunction with this new dark ride.
This was a well-crafted proposal, well-written and I could tell you take care and think about how your words present your proposal.

@TwilightZone
“The Absent-Minded Professor”- Great idea for a dark ride, and really outstanding to even think about Disneyland Paris! It contains lots of physical stuff that would give riders a huge variety of visuals to watch, and would really challenge the Imagineers to develop. You did confuse me when you mentioned “test track-styled,” which makes me think of Epcot’s Test Track speed/performance/banked-turns/flat roller coaster portions (I told you I’m a Cedar Point coaster guy) but then I remembered the beginning, indoor sections and hope that is what you meant. If you meant to include an outdoor section ala Epcot that would be a great addition if the available space would permit- however, if that is the case, you’d need to find a way to mention that in the proposal. When dealing with one (or two) sentences, every word takes on added importance and can change the reader’s perception of the concept as a whole.
Also, when dealing with one or two sentences, everything matters, including the use of capital letters (I said I was picky about stuff like that). Really, how you present a written proposal is the same as how you present yourself for a job interview. First impressions are vital. I’m only emphasizing this to help you take a really good proposal up to a Really GREAT proposal! (see the difference a few capital letters make?)
Please take this as constructive. I think your proposal would have great potential as a landmark dark ride, especially in Disneyland Paris. Very good work- and I know you’re capable of great work!

@englanddg
“Zorro” is the perfect choice for a new, major dark ride- for Disney California Adventure, not for Disneyland Park…but I’ll forgive this minor infraction. It would be the perfect centerpiece for DCA if they ever decided to actually depict California in that park. I have to admit that I never realized Zorro was such a political and social activist- I thought he just rode around defeating the bad guys with a rapier and a whip. I certainly hope you were writing this with your tongue firmly planted in your cheek- I’m not sure how else you could have come up with the “gluten free candies” idea!
You also used just one sentence, which is to be commended. I’m not sure how you could get his condemnation of urban spread presented to the average rider, but I have a feeling that most people, after experiencing “Zorro” at the Disneyland Resort (whichever park it would appear in), would come out and say to themselves, “?!”, then get back in line and ride it again to try and figure out what they had seen. Personally, I’d love to ride “Zorro”- probably the closest to Monty Python we’ll ever see in a Disney park! This is what I call “thinking outside the box.”

@D Hindley
“Victory Through Air Power” is…uh…well…I can predict two events being instigated by this dark ride during it’s probably-brief run at Tokyo Disneyland. 1) The citizens of Tokyo would march on Tokyo Disneyland, and after politely making sure that everyone had been evacuated from the building, they would burn it to the ground (with thousands more visitors to the park politely sitting to watch it burn while taking selfies with the smoldering ruins behind them, and 2) The Empire of Japan would sever diplomatic ties with the United States and resume its attack on Pearl Harbor.
I think this short-lived attraction would work better as a motion simulator ala Stormrider rather than as a dark ride. The float inspired by “Victory Through Air Power” could be artistically beautiful if just a bit (!) controversial. Actually, I think this entire concept would work better in one of Korea’s theme parks, where Japan is still viewed with as much disdain as it was by America during WW2.
Mr. Hindley, I think you’ve spent too much time overseas. The strange food and beverages have had an effect on you. Time to get back on your medication.

@Evilgidgit
“So Dear To My Heart.” This proposal has everything I would want in a proposal. It takes a nearly unknown but worthy Disney property and gives it new life in what I can visualize as a breathtakingly beautiful, fun and memorable dark ride in the best location possible. In Danny you’ve reintroduced a Disney character that the Japanese, with their insatiable thirst for cuteness, would probably line up for hours to buy every stuffed toy, backpack and water bottle with his image on it. The writing was superb, and I have to ask if you’re from Britain or a Commonwealth nation- “learnt” is almost exclusively used in Britain, but the sound of that word fits into a more rural, country manner of speaking. It was the perfect choice of word for this proposal.
I was totally unfamiliar with the movie, and after reading your proposal I did some research on it. Your proposal’s description did its job- what I “learnt” from my research was exactly what I had visualized from your proposal’s description. Probably my favorite part of it was how you used the float to further your proposal and tell even more of the story line.
This was an outstanding proposal!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom