One Sentence Competition - Season 3 Episode 3

Poe Dameron

In order to get more people to the Wide World of Sports Complex, Disney and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will partner to move the NFL team to the Wide World of Sports Center, and a large stadium will house the Orlando Buccaneers with an MLS team as well.

Disney will offer transportation from all the resorts through the expanded monorail lines which will drop guests off before going on to Animal Kingdom.

The buses will also go to the sports complex and guests will be able to play on the fields with the Park Hopper Plus package.

FigmentPigments

Although the Wide World of Sports complex currently offers housing facilities for over 14 sporting disciplines, a new expansion into two new areas for the enjoyment of the local populace and Disney resort guests, the Battlegrounds and Pinnacle Park, are in the works, but also be on the lookout for the 16 week-long Sports Festival featuring daily family friendly and individual competitions as well as a chance to meet some of the biggest names in currently in sports to shake hands, sign autographs, and give interviews.
21689-sportsx-1396264177-386-640x480.jpg
Newly installed bus stops for each Disney resort will allow guests to be dropped off at the Battlegrounds, the main hub of activity for the beginner/casual-friendly sports featuring a skate park, rock climbing walls, ultimate Frisbee, a sister location for Splistville bowling, ice skating rink, ice hockey rink, and of course, an obstacle run with varying levels of difficulties that the whole family can try, but also be on the look out for Mickey and friends decked out in their sports gear to meet and greet with guests.

For those being let off at Pinnacle Park (by the new Disney bus stops),they can enjoy Goofy's World of Sports, an interactive 5 story facility that lets guests try out different sports with batting cages, free throw courts, tennis swings, and more, and guests can carb up at restaurants like the ESPN Zone, NASCAR Cafe, Olympic Gold (Hard Rock Cafe for the Olympics), and The Arena, where guests can eat in a different sports themed room like a hockey rink. :cold:

Trivia answer: All-Star Sports, Pop Century and Caribbean Beach

Disney Dad 3000

Similar to its major expansion of the monorail system, WDW will undertake a complete update to the ESPN Wide World of Sports through media, sports, experiences and accommodations. Among the many changes will be a complete relocation of ESPN studios and radio broadcasts from Bristol to the resort with public tours, and opportunities for live studio audiences, a rotating weekly schedule of professional fantasy camps with NBA/NFL/PGA/MLB legends, and a new high end European Olympics athletes village resort style set up. More importantly, a new WDW professional dodgeball league will be set up with permanent teams themed after WDW attractions similar to WDW march madness with all matches taking place on site.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
In order to expand the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex into something ALL guests can enjoy, WDW Management is taking a two prong approach:

kGdXs6W.png

First, a large new mid-level resort will be built at the complex (ESPN's Revitalization Resort) which includes free access to sporting amenities (or paid access for non-guests) like a new state of the art athletic gym (including things like "smart" gym equipment, ice baths, saunas, jet pools, exercise classes, etc) and free access to new state of the art sporting practice facilities (including batting cages, gymnastic gyms and props, half-court basketball courts, roller-rinks, field goal posts, a skate park, a driving range, an open track-and-field area, and even a practice "Ninja Warrior" course).

Second, to entice more non-resort guests to the complex, a late-breaking planning change will be made to move the new NBA Experience from Disney Springs to the Wide World of Sports Complex, and in a surprise announcement Disney has also negotiated with the NFL to bring the NFL Experience to the complex (with plans for expansion in the future to include, if popular, additional experiences for the NHL, MLB, and MLS).
Right off the bat (pardon the pun) we have an amazing sports proposal. A resort inside the Wide World of Sports Complex might just be the most inventive and downright smart idea I've ever seen in order to revitalize the complex (and a fitting name for the resort at that)

It would be any sports fan's dream location to stay at, and similar to other top tier resorts such as the Grand Floridian or the Animal Kingdom Lodge, people could take an afternoon on the bus from the theme parks to the resort to tour it and explore its offering. Two thumbs up!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Let's fast forward to around this time in 2019, shall we? :D

-​

It is near impossible to pin down a favorite announcement made at this year's D23, but a particular one brought the sports fans - and Walt Disney World fans alike - to their feet. Here's what Imagineering had to say:

We are pleased to announce that ESPN Wide World of Sports will be receiving an unprecedented expansion in the form of "ESPN's Superstar Experience;" beginning with Lebron James in 2021, Serena Williams in 2022, and Lionel Messi in 2023, guests will be able to follow the upbringing and rise to glory of a different athlete every year in a trackless D-ticket and show hybrid, in addition to following their training regimes for a day by watching exclusive film and running their drills, eating chef's renditions of their diets, and relaxing in spas curated by the athletes that best mimic how they refuel after their grind. Along with these athletes bringing their hard work to the new "Superstar Experience" facility, they will also host a mini-camp for guests of all ages and levels of skill, and may even make an appearance themselves. With these new one-of-our-kind experiences at Wide World of Sports, paired with a new PeopleMover-style shuttle providing service off the new Monorail stops at the All-Star and Hourglass Lake resorts, we think guests will find a Whole New Wide World for them to enjoy!
Okay if I thought I wasn't expecting a resort in the middle of the complex, I definitely wasn't expecting rides! Haha - very creative. While the Disney suits who focus on $ might not see a benefit to building rides over there (unless there is an increased admission charge and they add IPs...kidding..not really:p)

I do think it's interesting to have the Superstar Experience though...especially since ABC owned by Disney has hosted the NBA finals for 15 years and ESPN has contracts with the NBA, I could see a LeBron James Experience type attraction where you can mimic how the athlete trains -- that'd be cool!

I also like how you added on from your first proposal -- a thin connecting line between the projects will come to fruition down the line!:bookworm:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
In order to get more people to the Wide World of Sports Complex, Disney and the Tampa Bay Buccaneers will partner to move the NFL team to the Wide World of Sports Center, and a large stadium will house the Orlando Buccaneers with an MLS team as well.

Disney will offer transportation from all the resorts through the expanded monorail lines which will drop guests off before going on to Animal Kingdom.

The buses will also go to the sports complex and guests will be able to play on the fields with the Park Hopper Plus package.
How much does a pirate pay for his corn? ...Don't answer that:p

Moving the Bucs to Orlando might be feasible, but I wonder how much that will bring in attractiveness since the Bucs only play 8 home games and possibly 2 playoff games throughout the year at home. So it would only be 8 days out of 365 that events would be going on. If the MLS team comes at least you have the summer.

I do like what you did with the transportation though, again connecting it from the monorail challenge -- and being able to play on the fields with the park hopper plus is another incentive to sports fans!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Although the Wide World of Sports complex currently offers housing facilities for over 14 sporting disciplines, a new expansion into two new areas for the enjoyment of the local populace and Disney resort guests, the Battlegrounds and Pinnacle Park, are in the works, but also be on the lookout for the 16 week-long Sports Festival featuring daily family friendly and individual competitions as well as a chance to meet some of the biggest names in currently in sports to shake hands, sign autographs, and give interviews.
21689-sportsx-1396264177-386-640x480.jpg
Newly installed bus stops for each Disney resort will allow guests to be dropped off at the Battlegrounds, the main hub of activity for the beginner/casual-friendly sports featuring a skate park, rock climbing walls, ultimate Frisbee, a sister location for Splistville bowling, ice skating rink, ice hockey rink, and of course, an obstacle run with varying levels of difficulties that the whole family can try, but also be on the look out for Mickey and friends decked out in their sports gear to meet and greet with guests.

For those being let off at Pinnacle Park (by the new Disney bus stops),they can enjoy Goofy's World of Sports, an interactive 5 story facility that lets guests try out different sports with batting cages, free throw courts, tennis swings, and more, and guests can carb up at restaurants like the ESPN Zone, NASCAR Cafe, Olympic Gold (Hard Rock Cafe for the Olympics), and The Arena, where guests can eat in a different sports themed room like a hockey rink. :cold:

Trivia answer: All-Star Sports, Pop Century and Caribbean Beach
Ahh...this is like Disney Quest 2.0 -- but better...and for sports! Love the new offerings layered on top of each other. It leaves room for the sporting events played on the field, and allows for more capacity in a smaller space. I also like the inclusion of characters. Wide World of Sports has a tough time feeling 'Disney' - because it's secluded and more prone to athletes and real world events taking shape. Having these offerings would bring some of that Disney magic to the complex and something that if Disney invested in - I'm sure would be a success!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Similar to its major expansion of the monorail system, WDW will undertake a complete update to the ESPN Wide World of Sports through media, sports, experiences and accommodations. Among the many changes will be a complete relocation of ESPN studios and radio broadcasts from Bristol to the resort with public tours, and opportunities for live studio audiences, a rotating weekly schedule of professional fantasy camps with NBA/NFL/PGA/MLB legends, and a new high end European Olympics athletes village resort style set up. More importantly, a new WDW professional dodgeball league will be set up with permanent teams themed after WDW attractions similar to WDW march madness with all matches taking place on site.
Since you're moving the ESPN studios from Bristol to Orlando, and a dodgeball tournament - I will do half the review as Stephen A Smith, and the other as White Goodman. :joyfull:

Mr. Smith: I know Disney Dad like a brother, I respect him, he's class-A personified, and he is making the best business decision for the company he could make.

And you mean to tell me...that I getda be closer to South Beach? Away from the cold and the New York Knicks? Sign me up for this job
Screen-Shot-2016-09-05-at-11.49.02-AM-1-500x284.png

------------
White Goodman: I need to...avenge my loss to those losers from Average Joes. Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. I'm not too familiar on the intricacies of this... World of Disney...but, our team will be the Universe of Energy...because that sounds like a strong, long lasting attraction.
3440d0d28cf08bef24e9c07054f204d0--film-quotes-movie-tv.jpg

All kidding aside - good proposal, I would still be curious to how the transportation would be fixed in order to get people here, but overall like the ideas!

Disney Dad 3000

Since you're moving the ESPN studios from Bristol to Orlando, and a dodgeball tournament - I will do half the review as Stephen A Smith, and the other as White Goodman. :joyfull:

Mr. Smith: I know Disney Dad like a brother, I respect him, he's class-A personified, and he is making the best business decision for the company he could make.

And you mean to tell me...that I getda be closer to South Beach? Away from the cold and the New York Knicks? Sign me up for this job
Screen-Shot-2016-09-05-at-11.49.02-AM-1-500x284.png

------------
White Goodman: I need to...avenge my loss to those losers from Average Joes. Nobody makes me bleed my own blood. I'm not too familiar on the intricacies of this... World of Disney...but, our team will be the Universe of Energy...because that sounds like a strong, long lasting attraction.
3440d0d28cf08bef24e9c07054f204d0--film-quotes-movie-tv.jpg

All kidding aside - good proposal, I would still be curious to how the transportation would be fixed in order to get people here, but overall like the ideas!

Mile upon Mile of a peoplemover line between resorts/parks/entertainment centers

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
ESPN Wide World of Sports Center will be the sports hub of Central Florida and in be up for an Olympics bid in the 2030s to bring everyone together for the culmination of the 60th WDW Anniversary in 2032.
Woah the Olympics! Haha okay -- very ambitious, and while in 2032 that would probably be amazing - I think for the short term it would just be a lot of waiting around for 2 weeks in over a decade. Though thanks for turning in a proposal even if something quick!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Season 3 - Episode 3
Challenge 2
--ESPN Results--

Thank you to everyone who contributed - a very well fought round with great ideas.

Basically, what I ranked these on are
1) was it well-thought out
2) how much passion was put into the idea
3) was it explained effectively so that as an 'elevator pitch', whoever is receiving the 'pitch' can completely understand the reasoning behind it.

There will be plenty of more opportunities and it's just for fun, so keep that in mind. :)

With that said - let's go to the results!

Honorable Mention
honorable-mention-ribbon-1020-1-25-jpg.173155

@MA Screamin'

Bronze Medal
bronze_medal.png

@Disney Dad 3000

Silver Medal
94e277b35b521e8bfef0d840a52aceab.png

@FigmentPigments

Gold Medal
gold_medal.png

@Sephirenn

Congrats and thank you to everyone who participated! Let's get on with Challenge 3!​

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Season 3 - Episode 3
Challenge 3
--Discovery Channel--
Discovery_Channel_2000.png

We've turned on our TVs and our second stop is - the Discovery Channel!
latest

With Pandora: The World of Avatar opening this past May, and a renewed influx of attention paid to (for my money) the most well themed 'theme park' in the world, we turn our attention to the icon of the park - The Tree of Life on Discovery Island.

Over the last few years the tree has begun to decay and the show inside could use a refurbishment to liven up what could be one of the top attractions in the park.

In 1-3 Sentences, your task will be to describe what changes you would make to the Tree of Life in order to enhance it for the decades to come. This could be a new replacement show, refurbishments to the tree, or a new icon altogether.
*Realism will be slightly thrown out for this one (just fyi)

A custom sketch of the designs are optional and aren't necessary (though if you can - more power to you!)

Bonus/Trivia
How many animals are carved into the Tree of Life?

This project will be due Sunday July 9th at 9PM EST

As always have fun and if you have any questions please feel free to ask! :)

Disney Dad 3000

Episode 3
While this will go against convention and not win me the prompt this week, I won't actually recommend any changes to the tree or the it's tough to be a bug show. Having recently visited, for my money, they are both great as is, short of regular maintenance and small updates to the aesthetics of the tree and potentially a variation of the current show. The tree is the perfect icon for the park and the awakenings at night only enhance its beauty and appeal while the tough to be a bug show is fun and the journey into the tree theater is a good correlation to the bugs underground.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Episode 3
While this will go against convention and not win me the prompt this week, I won't actually recommend any changes to the tree or the it's tough to be a bug show. Having recently visited, for my money, they are both great as is, short of regular maintenance and small updates to the aesthetics of the tree and potentially a variation of the current show. The tree is the perfect icon for the park and the awakenings at night only enhance its beauty and appeal while the tough to be a bug show is fun and the journey into the tree theater is a good correlation to the bugs underground.
You never know! Maybe it was a trick question? :cautious::p

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom