One Sentence Competition - Season 3 Episode 3

Disney Dad 3000

Coming to the travel channel in 2018 will be a new hit show hosted by Samantha Brown, Transportation Impossible, that will document what will be billed as the largest transportation project in US History at the Walt Disney World Resort.
In addition to upgrading the current transportation in use, World Drive will be closed to passenger car traffic between Epcot and Seven Seas Drives, except resort guests at the MK resorts, to make way for a transportation center that will house some parking but also stopping points for each of the 2-way monorail trains with 3 tracks each that will depart/arrive to each of the 4 parks in addition to a few resort clusters serviced by light rail, gondola and bus traffic.
Each of the park monorails will be themed to their designated park with the animal kingdom line modeled after the Wildlife express and close to the ground for sight lines for example and all of this will be complemented by an outer loop monorail that will ring 192, 492, I4 and Reams Rd monorail that will provide perimeter parking and access lines into the new TS.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for all the submissions! Great start to Episode 3!:)

Now to what you've been waiting for... the reviews!
An upcoming change to the monorail system at WDW is being planned and when complete it will finally connect all four parks, the two waterparks, and Disney Springs!

A new track composite is being used to improve aging of the rail-line, and the entire rail is being given a paint job which will help it blend in to its surroundings during the day, but glow at night like a TRON lightracer!

The trains themselves are also being upgraded using "magic" windows like the Hogwarts express to provide guests with entertainment during the ride, but also have the ability to fade sections out so that guests can still take in the sights when they are on certain areas of the rail.
First off, the glow in the dark Tron rail lines would be so incredible going through Future World! What an ingenious suggestion! And since you are expanding the lines throughout the entire resort, in some areas where you may see the 'real world' - possibly towards Disney Springs, some screens could help keep you contained in Disney World.

My one question comes from the first sentence in that I'm wondering how the other Disney Resorts (such as the Wilderness Lodge, Old Key West, etc) will be connected to the monorail line. While an ambitious project, I don't have an issue with it for this exercise, but an elaboration on that would be interesting to read!:bookworm:

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
In a new update to the system, the monorails will double in length and support more than 600 passengers per train, cutting down wait times at peak transport times. The system will also be able to travel at speeds of 45 mph, making the trip to Epcot and the TTC much quicker on the straight-away. The design will be similar to the Mark VII designs at Disneyland.
I like the increase in speed especially along the Epcot line - I always like with this version seeing how fast the monorail is going compared to the cars on World Drive, but if it goes faster, then you just zoom by!

I'm a bit concerned though with doubling the length of the monorails considering many of the stations themselves would have to be redone in order to fit the extended cars. As it is now the monorails just fit in the Grand Floridian, Polynesian, etc stations - the only one that would be okay would be the Contemporary I guess.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
In the latest update to Walt Disney World's beloved Monorail, it now has a loop!
Kramer-Yes-Nod.gif

Enough said:p

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
The Walt Disney World Monorail will change to the Walt Disney World Maglev Monorail, which utilizes the Maglev monorail technology in Shanghai to its advantage, making it a much faster trip than the current one.

The amount of trains reduces to seven, as they move much faster than before, and each have artwork overlaid on them themed to each continent, with a North America one with a deciduous forest and mountains on it and the Pocahontas characters, a South America one with a rainforest and the Three Caballeros, an Africa one with a savanna and Lion King and Tarzan characters, an Asia one with a garden and Chinese temple as well as characters from Mulan, a Europe one with the Snow White Castle as well as the classic Disney princesses with an exception for the ones previously mentioned above and Jasmine, an Australia one with an Australian outback setting and the Rescuers, and finally an Antarctica one with a glacier and Brother Bear characters.

The Walt Disney World Maglev Monorail puts an emphasis on World, as it is themed to each continent, but also makes the monorail more efficient and speedy, as everyone is most definitely anxious to reach their magical destination.

Bonus:
The order is as follows:
Jack Wagner (however one of his phrases is still used)
Kevin Miles
Matt Hanson
Joe Hursh
Tom Kane
Congratulations on answering and getting the bonus correct! Great job!

I love everything about this proposal, from the maglev technology, to the themed cars. I am a bit concerned about reducing the number of trains to seven though. While they move faster, in particular at the most busy hours on the resort and express line, you'd need capacity as well. I haven't done the math on it but I'm assuming that you'd be keeping all 3 lines the same...the Resort Line, Express Line, Epcot Line. With 7 trains, that would mean 2, 2, 3 trains per line, reducing the capacity of trains by 5 from the 12 we have today. Other than that though, great proposal!

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
@GotsFancyPants Believe it or not, I also was cooking up an idea involving the Maglev tech, but you beat me to it :p Here's my submission nonetheless.

-​

In light of vigorous expansion across the Walt Disney World property, Walt Disney Imagineering has announced their plan to improve the their signature Monorail System! The following is a snippet from their press release:

The Walt Disney World Monorail System will be reintroduced as a new fleet of twenty L0 series Maglev trains, featuring revolutionary magnetic levitation technology, introducing a new precedent for speed and overall efficiency to park guests. Three new lines; an additional Express line with service to Epcot, DHS, and DAK, an additional Resort line with service to Animal Kingdom Lodge, All-Star Resorts, Hourglass Lake (Animation and Pop Century), and two central locations for the resorts near Caribbean Beach and Port Orleans, and a Water Parks and More line with service to the two water parks, ESPN, and Disney Springs. Additionally, Imagineering will introduce something that will soon become as memorable as the Monorail themselves, in the form of M.A.R.C. (Monorail Assistant Receptionist and Concierge) animatronics: these "co-captains", with distinct personalities (attributed to their corresponding Monorail color) interact directly with guests using an AI engine and MagicBand technology to provide help in whatever way possible, like checking guests into their hotels, booking restaurant reservations, and keeping guests entertained as they embark on their trips across the Happiest Place on Earth.
As was mentioned in the previous proposal - I love the Maglev concept! And I think as was mentioned in another review, I do like the ambition of expanding throughout the entire resort, whether that would actually happen can be saved for another conversation. The kid in me would want to see it happen:p But you also mentioned with resorts would be included in the line expansions as well, adding a bit of detail I was looking for.

As for the on-board assistant. I like it -- though I wonder how much people would want that when they are crammed into the car like sardeens with screaming kids after fireworks...and an animatronic is asking them...

"Are you enjoying your stay at Disney World?":hilarious:
926ba2fb81f548b83e8ae72904a2f51f.jpg

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
To update the WDW Monorail System, first create a 2nd Ticket and Transportation Center on the Epcot Line, with a direct path to Disney's Animal Kingdom and Disney Springs. Then add 7 new trains while refurbishing the current trains. This should be an investment of about $500 million total, but then Disney can go green and cut back on their bus service with the new monorail access points.
I like the specificity and the detailed plan, while not as ambitious as 'expand everywhere'. Though with this, I'm not sure Disney can cut back their busses too much considering that many resorts are still unaffected by this expansion. Maybe only the MK monorail resorts

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Coming to the travel channel in 2018 will be a new hit show hosted by Samantha Brown, Transportation Impossible, that will document what will be billed as the largest transportation project in US History at the Walt Disney World Resort.
In addition to upgrading the current transportation in use, World Drive will be closed to passenger car traffic between Epcot and Seven Seas Drives, except resort guests at the MK resorts, to make way for a transportation center that will house some parking but also stopping points for each of the 2-way monorail trains with 3 tracks each that will depart/arrive to each of the 4 parks in addition to a few resort clusters serviced by light rail, gondola and bus traffic.
Each of the park monorails will be themed to their designated park with the animal kingdom line modeled after the Wildlife express and close to the ground for sight lines for example and all of this will be complemented by an outer loop monorail that will ring 192, 492, I4 and Reams Rd monorail that will provide perimeter parking and access lines into the new TS.
They're already getting set up for this episode
sb110710-7.JPG

I like how you were the only person I saw to bring up the new gondola project and rumored light rail - while the project was about the Monorail System, it was cool to see you bring that up. As for the monorails themselves, I like how you designed them to be modeled after the places that they would be going, such as the Wildlife Express for Animal Kingdom. Also interesting to see how the no car traffic rule would be enforced between Epcot and Seven Seas Drive. Would definitely make Disney World feel more like it's own 'world' in a way that's for sure.

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Season 3 - Episode 3
Challenge 1
--Travel Channel Results--

Since every reviewer is different, the #1 thing I've found over the years of doing this to not have people bring out the pitchforks is consistency.

Basically, what I ranked these on are
1) was it well-thought out
2) how much passion was put into the idea
3) was it explained effectively so that as an 'elevator pitch', whoever is receiving the 'pitch' can completely understand the reasoning behind it.

There will be plenty of more opportunities and it's just for fun, so keep that in mind. :)

With that said - let's go to the results!

Honorable Mention
honorable-mention-ribbon-1020-1-25-jpg.173155

@Sephirenn

Bronze Medal
bronze_medal.png

@Disney Dad 3000

Silver Medal
94e277b35b521e8bfef0d840a52aceab.png

@GotsFancyPants

Gold Medal
gold_medal.png

@MA Screamin'

Congrats and thank you to everyone who participated! Let's get on with Challenge 2!​

spacemt354

Chili's
Original Poster
Season 3 - Episode 3
Challenge 2
--ESPN--
5847f1b0cef1014c0b5e485d.png

We've turned on our TVs and our second stop is - ESPN!
espn-complex-home-slider-3-tile.jpg

While the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex is known for the Atlanta Braves Spring Training, and several high school events throughout the year, access to the WWoS via resort transportation is limited to Disney World guests, which in turn, limits the potential for the complex. In addition, once guests get to the complex, unless you're involved in the events, there isn't much for guests to do.

In 1-3 Sentences, your task will be to describe the activities and new access you would implement in order to get more guests to visit the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex on their vacations.

A custom sketch of the designs are optional and aren't necessary (though if you can - more power to you!)

Bonus/Trivia
What are the only resorts that currently offer transportation to the ESPN Wide World of Sports Complex?

This project will be due Wednesday July 5th at 9PM EST

As always have fun and if you have any questions please feel free to ask! :)

Sephirenn

In order to expand the ESPN Wide World of Sports complex into something ALL guests can enjoy, WDW Management is taking a two prong approach:

kGdXs6W.png

First, a large new mid-level resort will be built at the complex (ESPN's Revitalization Resort) which includes free access to sporting amenities (or paid access for non-guests) like a new state of the art athletic gym (including things like "smart" gym equipment, ice baths, saunas, jet pools, exercise classes, etc) and free access to new state of the art sporting practice facilities (including batting cages, gymnastic gyms and props, half-court basketball courts, roller-rinks, field goal posts, a skate park, a driving range, an open track-and-field area, and even a practice "Ninja Warrior" course).

Second, to entice more non-resort guests to the complex, a late-breaking planning change will be made to move the new NBA Experience from Disney Springs to the Wide World of Sports Complex, and in a surprise announcement Disney has also negotiated with the NFL to bring the NFL Experience to the complex (with plans for expansion in the future to include, if popular, additional experiences for the NHL, MLB, and MLS).

MA Screamin'

Let's fast forward to around this time in 2019, shall we? :D

-​

It is near impossible to pin down a favorite announcement made at this year's D23, but a particular one brought the sports fans - and Walt Disney World fans alike - to their feet. Here's what Imagineering had to say:

We are pleased to announce that ESPN Wide World of Sports will be receiving an unprecedented expansion in the form of "ESPN's Superstar Experience;" beginning with Lebron James in 2021, Serena Williams in 2022, and Lionel Messi in 2023, guests will be able to follow the upbringing and rise to glory of a different athlete every year in a trackless D-ticket and show hybrid, in addition to following their training regimes for a day by watching exclusive film and running their drills, eating chef's renditions of their diets, and relaxing in spas curated by the athletes that best mimic how they refuel after their grind. Along with these athletes bringing their hard work to the new "Superstar Experience" facility, they will also host a mini-camp for guests of all ages and levels of skill, and may even make an appearance themselves. With these new one-of-our-kind experiences at Wide World of Sports, paired with a new PeopleMover-style shuttle providing service off the new Monorail stops at the All-Star and Hourglass Lake resorts, we think guests will find a Whole New Wide World for them to enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom