One Sentence Competition - Season 3 Episode 1

Magic Feather

Mickey's Grand Adventure
image.jpeg

The newest edition to Main Street USA will transport guests into some of the classic toons, starring Mickey Mouse that are currently playing at the newly relocated Main Street Cinema, which is now at the end of Center Street. Guests enter through the new cinema and wind down a queue that took over Uptown Jewlers, where guests will go up a series of ramps, and over an overpass that goes over the MS Bypass, leading to a new showbuilding, where guests enter a fake theater with two moving theater carts on the scale of the movie ride. A classic toon plays, before the screen fades into a similar practical set, resulting in us entering the classic Steamboat Willie Scene, followed by entering the Chinese Theater at Mickey's Gala Premiere, which leads into one of two circle vision theaters on turntables. Suddenly, we start spinning as the band concert twirls around us, before we exit into the Sorcerer's Apprentice leading into Mickey and the Beanstalk, with a massive giant AA, before entering a final speed tunnel with a car race in the new Mickey shorts, before returning to the theater entrance. Guests then go back over the bridge into the Main Street Memorabilia store that replaced the original Main Street Cinema.

Edit: Made at 7:58 PM

Bonus: This new attraction will additionally be cloned to Disney California Adventure, taking place inside of a Chinese Theater Replica on Hollywood Blvd, where The Muppets currently are.

Last edited:

FigmentPigments

Prompt 1
Streets Ahead

streets_ahead.jpg

-Scenario-
What better place to start this competition than at the start of the Magic Kingdom! Main Street U.S.A. is the perhaps the only land every single guest of the Magic Kingdom travels through. It's the first thing you see when you enter the park and the last thing you see when you leave. It is truly iconic. Main Street is also the only land in the park without an attraction. Maybe adding an attraction could make Main Street U.S.A. even more Streets Ahead than it already is.

Disneys-Main-Street-U.S.A.-Disney-Magic-Kingdom-Walt-Disney-World-WDW-Orlando-Florida-FL.jpg

-Challenge-
Armchair Imagineers, your challenge is to add the first real attraction to Main Steet U.S.A. in the Magic Kingdom at Walt Disney World. It can be a ride, a show, a walkthrough, a mini-land, whatever you can come up with.

-Rules-
You may use between 1 and 5 sentences and up to 2 pictures. The deadline will be at 7 PM on Tuesday 1/17/17 (an extra day so as to not conflict with the Creator Games).

Also, you can not close the Emporium, the train station, Crystal Palace, Casey's, the Mickey meet & Great, or the Starbucks.

-Bonus-
Disney loves to take everything they build and build it again somewhere else. As a bonus, you may use 1-2 additional sentences to describe where you would add a clone of your attraction to one of the other Disney Parks around the world.

The bonus is mostly just for fun and will only effect judging if two ideas are equally good and I need a tie breaker OR if the bonus is exceptionally well done.

-tips-
K.I.S.S - Keep it simple, silly. Try not to over complicate or over think things too much. Focus on the big picture. Don't miss the forest for the trees. All that good stuff.

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good Luck everyone! Have fun! Go create!

As always, anyone is welcome to join in. Newcomers, veterans, anyone who wants to propose an idea!​
Extra! Extra! Citizens of Main Street
01c863936b448d51a4dbe338688ba275.jpg
The citizens of Main Street are a wonderful group of characters that interact with guests as they wander up to the castle, and they are beloved by thousands of people, but are often overlooked as crowds hurry to star attractions.

This new show, however, will provide a narrative for each character that will influence the story line for the day, and that story line can be altered to fit season changes and holidays.

Mayor Weaver will greet guests in front of Chamber of Commerce where he will be interrupted by Hildegard Olivia Harding and her friends who campaign against Weaver, and they engage in witty and humorous banter.

Multiple shows will happen through the day, as other characters will arrive to advance the narrative with jokes and stories; these are designed to have guest return to hear the rest of the day's events.

Alternate characters can stand in for the actors who are sick (Councillor Dewey Cheatem for Mayor Weaver), and this show can easily be moved to other location (like under the train station) for bad weather.

Bonus

In Disneyland Paris, in accordance with the 1920's motif, flappers and ragtime era characters will hold a similar show where they will dance and perform short songs, again providing a day long narrative filled with character backstories and histories. These shows can be moved to the Arcades for inclement weather.
f9f03f50056dfe0866c0294bcd1f95d8.jpg

Daveeeeed

The Main Street Hotel

hotel-adler-exterior.jpg

At the center of Walt Avenue (an Eastern Main Street Expansion) a hotel that lies in the dead center of a street in a turn of the century American downtown attracts visitors from Los Angeles to New York. The Main Street Hotel (a new LPS E-ticket attraction that will use the same track layout as Mystic Manor and share its sort of magic theme) and a new Walt Disney Theater (will be fully indoors containing just over 2K seats); these two new attractions along with multiple shops, a fine dining restaurant: Walt's (similar to DLP's); a quick service pastry bakery, and two restrooms bring Main Street to more than just a pretty park entrance. The Main Street Hotel gleams in the light from the sky at 60 feet high, it will be the highpoint in 19th century American innovation bringing you all the luxury only the rich elsewhere could experience. You enter the Hotel loving every inch, but in your room, you'll discover you have gone into a flatter artistic world - where you don't belong (Essentially you will visit a darker Toontown after the hotel's gadgets come to life).

The Main Street Hotel Story: Have you ever been to a place where the world around you shrinks until you know every square inch and until it becomes infinitely flat and parallel? You'll enter a wonderful hotel in this turn of the century hotel but hold -- for you may encounter nightmares where the hotel's non-paying residents control its destiny.

Boni
Come Disneyland's 70th -- this will be added to correct crowd flow and to add another must-do to the list of Disneyland's fine attractions, but with some tweaks. The main difference between the two is that Disneyland's would only include the Main Street Hotel, and shops, not the two restaurants, and the Walt Disney Theater.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
New Walt Disney - One Man's Dream

With the expansions and renovations at Disney's Hollywood Studios - Walt Disney One Man's Dream seems to be squeezed in an area it no longer fits, and that is why we will be moving it to Main Street U.S.A. and "plussing" it to fit its new home. The location we will use is the new backstage route for Wishes which was built in 2015 to handle capacity crowds exiting the park.

bypass_after.png

It will be an extension of Main Street U.S.A. with similar facades, yet moreso resembling Walt's home town of Marceline, MO - to fit the facade of the new One Man's Dream attraction.

disneymarceline.jpg

In the attraction, which will be a walk-through and theater film, you will see an expanded array of plans on Walt's vision for Mickey Mouse, Disneyland, and ultimately, how WDW was designed, ending with a theater show on the vision for WDW into the future.

Overall, this new One Man's Dream attraction will have an appropriately themed facade, and a new emphasis on theme park design, which is fitting being in WDW's first theme park.

For a clone - this attraction could be placed in Disneyland on their Main Street, USA - however given the size limitations, it could also fit in Hollywood Blvd in DCA with a similar facade that is seen currently at DHS.
I really like the idea of the side street becoming Walt's hometown. That's very great! And this seems like a good fit for a new One Man's Dream. Having the side street open all day could also help with crowd flow and traffic. Let's face it, Magic Kingdom gets more visitors every year and Main Street stays the same size. Bottlenecking is inevitable and will only get worse as the years to by.

Now for the negatives. Main Street does a really great job setting up the immersion of Magic Kingdom. When you pass under the train station, you pass into a new world. Breaking that immersion right at the entrance with an attraction focused on the history of the parks might be a mistake. Behind the scenes type attractions work really well in Hollywood Studios or DCA, but I don't see them fitting well at Magic Kingdom. This would mean we have a display about building the Tiki Birds in the same park that is trying to convince kids of all ages the birds are real. The whole park was built on a second story above the Utilidors just to keep the immersion in tact.

Overall, there is a lot of extremely clever ideas (traffic flow, theming the side street to Marceline) that I love here, but IMO I would advise against breaking immersion and going "behind the scenes" at the front of a park based on hiding what's "behind the scenes." I would love to see an expanded One Man's Dream though and to see your side street get built, just maybe not putting them together.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Press Release for Immediate Distribution

OSC Corp. has determined that in order to add a new attraction to Main Street U.S.A. with a moderate budget and as little disruption to the area as possible, the exciting new attraction will take the place of the Main Street Confectionery (using the same building) with the addition of a 2nd story walkway which will drop guests off inside the Town Square Theater.

One Mouse's Wanderings

sAhumfv.png

Based loosely on the SNES's "Mickey Mania", "One Mouse's Wanderings" is an exciting walk-through exhibit which allows guests to interact with and experience the classic and modern animation adventures of that famous little mouse we all love.

uFVzMJy.png

Each scene inside the attraction represents one of Mickey's past adventures and contains multiple props, color schemes, and interactive elements; guests will find themselves wandering through:

-Steamboat Willie (1928)
-Lonesome Ghosts (1937)
-Fantasia (1940)
-Mickey and the Beanstalk (1947)
-The Prince and the Pauper (1990)
-Get a Horse (2013)

At the end of the attraction WDW cast members stand at the ready to hand out one of six free stickers based on which adventure the guest liked best. Guests exit the exhibit directly into the Town Square theater where they can queue right up for the amazing Mickey Mouse Meet N' Greet!

Bonus (forgot this originally, if adding is not allowed please do not count it)
One other location to put this exhibit in would be as a small new extension as a part of the Disney Animation Building in DCA. A new building addition (still accessed from inside the building) would be added behind to take place place of the current parking lot and storage back there.

Very clever, yet simple idea. I love walkthroughs and I've wanted a "Mickey through the Ages" attraction for years. Exiting into Town Square Theater near the M&G is a nice touch. I also really likes the selection of shorts you chose. I'm picturing the entrance being the "movie theater," which would work nicely. You need to be careful with the facade and all to fit the theming, but it isn't out of theme if done well.

Now for the negatives. Like I said, this would have to be done carefully to not clash with the rest of Main Street. Also, I'd worry about crowds. Main Street is very busy, and while the Treehouse and other WDW walkthroughs aren't super popular, I have to feel a Mickey Mouse one like this would draw a lot of crowds. So, this is going to be packed with people. Add in interactive elements that will make people want to stop and take more time then they would just looking at things and you have a recipe for either a huge queue or a hallway where people are herded like cattle through.

Overall, if the theming is handled well and the capacity/crowd control issues inherent in an attraction like this in a place like Main Street are fixed, this could be a very great attraction.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Great Moments with Mr. Disney. An short presentation about walts life ending with him being recreated as an audio animatronic figure. This replaces the Mickey Mouse Meet and Greet.
This is really clever and seems like a great tribute. This could lead to some of the same theming issues I had with spacemt's proposal, but as long as the focus is not much on the theme parks and "behind the scenes" stuff it could work. A fitting tribute to honor the man himself. My big complaint, the Mickey M&G is very popular. If you had placed this somewhere else or mentioned moving Mickey instead of replacing him, that would've been better. Overall a very cool idea. Sorry for the shorter review, but I don't have much to say besides well done.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
OK, sorry it's late. Awful stuff happened irl, but I figured this was the best way to get my mind off things.

Gaslight
gaslight-fog.jpeg

This entirely indoor sub-land is very dark (only illuminated by the streetlights and window lights) and would be themed to essentially, a Main Street USA at night. The land would feature two attractions - an escape room and an Indiana-Jones style EMV - and one restaurant. The escape room, located below the restaurant would feature four rooms three themed to different Disney animation movies, and one themed to an abandoned factory, and would require reservations months in advance. The diner would feature all American cuisine.
001-the-twilight-zone-theredlist.jpg

The EMV style attraction would be named "Twilight Zone: Factory of Insanity." After viewing a cliched-Twilight Zone preshow, one would board their vehicle, and race through the factory, while the ghosts of the dead workers terrorize you.

This attraction could be copy and pasted into Disneyland's Main Street to help fans mourn the loss of the Tower of Terror
This is a pretty neat concept. Sorta like a Disney version of Nocturne Alley. I definitely think the restaurant sounds like it would be a huge hit and the atmosphere of the new mini-land would be great. I love escape rooms, capacity would probably be an issue there though.

I do have a few problems though. I'm not so sure about building a new major restaurant in the area so close to Crystal Palace and Tony's. This sounds unique enough to avoid that problem, but it is still something to consider.

The Twilight Zone ride sounds incredible...for somewhere else. A haunted factory and a CBS tv show feel like odd fits for Main Street. I'm also not sure there's enough room to really do something in that scale plus the restaurant and escape room. It definitely sounds like an amazing ride that I'd love to see be real, but it doesn't feel like Main Street to me.

What it lacks in thematic fit to Main Street and realism, it definitely makes up for in creativity.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Mickey's Grand Adventure
View attachment 184994

The newest edition to Main Street USA will transport guests into some of the classic toons, starring Mickey Mouse that are currently playing at the newly relocated Main Street Cinema, which is now at the end of Center Street. Guests enter through the new cinema and wind down a queue that took over Uptown Jewlers, where guests will go up a series of ramps, and over an overpass that goes over the MS Bypass, leading to a new showbuilding, where guests enter a fake theater with two moving theater carts on the scale of the movie ride. A classic toon plays, before the screen fades into a similar practical set, resulting in us entering the classic Steamboat Willie Scene, followed by entering the Chinese Theater at Mickey's Gala Premiere, which leads into one of two circle vision theaters on turntables. Suddenly, we start spinning as the band concert twirls around us, before we exit into the Sorcerer's Apprentice leading into Mickey and the Beanstalk, with a massive giant AA, before entering a final speed tunnel with a car race in the new Mickey shorts, before returning to the theater entrance. Guests then go back over the bridge into the Main Street Memorabilia store that replaced the original Main Street Cinema.

Edit: Made at 7:58 PM

Bonus: This new attraction will additionally be cloned to Disney California Adventure, taking place inside of a Chinese Theater Replica on Hollywood Blvd, where The Muppets currently are.

This could be a really great high capacity E ticket. Personally I'd love a ride like this. It solves the capacity concerns I had with Sephiren's proposal. That being said, this might be a bit unrealistic both space wise for the location and for what modern Disney would actually build. Then again, if I was too concerned about being in line with modern disney, every prompt's winner would be a new food cart ;)

A bit similar to Selhiren's proposal and also a bit similar to the rumored Mickey's Great Movie Ride. And perhaps a bit impractical, but overall an awesome experience. A ride that would probably become one of my favorites.

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
The Main Street Hotel

hotel-adler-exterior.jpg

At the center of Walt Avenue (an Eastern Main Street Expansion) a hotel that lies in the dead center of a street in a turn of the century American downtown attracts visitors from Los Angeles to New York. The Main Street Hotel (a new LPS E-ticket attraction that will use the same track layout as Mystic Manor and share its sort of magic theme) and a new Walt Disney Theater (will be fully indoors containing just over 2K seats); these two new attractions along with multiple shops, a fine dining restaurant: Walt's (similar to DLP's); a quick service pastry bakery, and two restrooms bring Main Street to more than just a pretty park entrance. The Main Street Hotel gleams in the light from the sky at 60 feet high, it will be the highpoint in 19th century American innovation bringing you all the luxury only the rich elsewhere could experience. You enter the Hotel loving every inch, but in your room, you'll discover you have gone into a flatter artistic world - where you don't belong (Essentially you will visit a darker Toontown after the hotel's gadgets come to life).

The Main Street Hotel Story: Have you ever been to a place where the world around you shrinks until you know every square inch and until it becomes infinitely flat and parallel? You'll enter a wonderful hotel in this turn of the century hotel but hold -- for you may encounter nightmares where the hotel's non-paying residents control its destiny.

Boni
Come Disneyland's 70th -- this will be added to correct crowd flow and to add another must-do to the list of Disneyland's fine attractions, but with some tweaks. The main difference between the two is that Disneyland's would only include the Main Street Hotel, and shops, not the two restaurants, and the Walt Disney Theater.
Very nice proposal. I like that you focused more on the emotional impact of the area and the way it would make people feel rather than the details. I wouldve liked a bit clearer description of what the ride actually would be like or it's story. Or what would be playing in the theater. Some thing just aren't clear that should be. But, like I said, the emotional description really does set the theme beautifully.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom