One Sentence Competition: Pitching Elevators - The Game Begins!

ThemeParkPriest

The Incredibles Musical
As the curtain opens, the Incredibles family sings a happy song having just put the Underminer in jail. Guests then hear each of the Incredible family members–Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, Violet, and Dash–sing about the everyday troubles of being a superhero (with their individual super power) in a world where everybody else isn’t a superhero. In the grand finale, the family is reminded of the great responsibility of being superheroes; they (including Jack-Jack) come together to stop Syndrome from taking over the world.
1705178804426.png

Bonus: The Disney Afternoon show (1991) was meaningful for me as it brought the 4 TV shows to life and then brought them all together (with Mickey and Roger Rabbit's help).

Solaris Knight

1705257278957.png

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
Since DCA represents a prequel of sorts to Disneyland, it felt appropriate to include the first Disney Animated Canon film. This musical would run about 60 minutes, not much shorter than the original, and include the songs from the original film.
Bonus: Celebrate the Magic is one of the only shows, Disney or otherwise to bring me to tears, so it gets that vote by default even if I found Happily Ever After to be a better overall show.

cdunlap

Manila is an elaborate and operatic musical taking guests to Manila, the capital city of the Philippines where dances and songs are performed by folkloric creatures such as Tikbalang, an anthropomorphic horse associated with incredible strength and speed, Diwata, spirits of the elements comparable to fairies, Sirena, mermaids who aid lost sailors and are symbols of Queer identities, and Engkanto, the evil form of the Diwata. There really is no plot to speak of but it tells the story of a young woman named Jeri (she/her) and her fiance, a young man named Will (he/him), going on a trip to Manila to reconnect with her heritage and stopping at a coffee shop where the couple meets Luzon (they/them), a person who is deeply connected to the city of Manila, who takes the couple on a fantastic voyage through Manila and the nearby coast, meeting the supernatural beings that call the island of Luzon home! The inclusion of both Southeast Asian culture and LGBTQIA+ Identities will make this show the most inclusive thing that Disney has staged to date!

Bonus: My favorite park show is one that I never got the chance to see because it closed too early for me to visit; it's called Pocahontas and her Forest Friends and it was a show at Animal Kingdom about, well, Pocahontas and her animal friends and I don’t think a single image can do it justice so take a filmed performance!

Last edited:

Suchomimus

Delight in Del Norte
1950s-campfire-picture.jpg
Delight in Del Norte tells the misadventure of an old lady who doesn't feel her age and her two grandchildren going on a camping trip in the redwood forests of Del Norte County. Though the grandson is reluctant for fear of missing out on an upcoming space adventure on the family's new tv, he soon learns that the greatest adventures can happen in the real world. In addition to the beauty of the sets and the sweetness of the ending, this stage show is sure to be a barrel of laughs especially with the antics of Granny's dog Buster and the granddaughter as she tries to take the perfect film of her family's outing.
Bonus: Terminator 2 3-D
intro-import.webp

I have not seen many shows at the theme parks, but the Terminator 2 stage show at USF was such a treat.

AceAstro

Olaf Recaps!
IMG_9854.jpeg

With Frozen 2, moviegoers saw Olaf give a brief recap of the events of Frozen, as well as many other movies through shorts released on Disney+. As an expansion to Avengers Campus, Olaf now goes through recapping the 4 Avengers movies through the use of a Jukebox Musical. Avengers, Age of Ultron, Infinity War, and Endgame are all quickly described by Olaf with song and dance to complete the events of the 4 movies and have guests ready to continue on their day through Avengers campus!

BONUS: it’s been a decade since I saw it, but Mickey and the Magical Map will always hold a special place in my heart as I still remember him “magically” appearing out of the map and on the platform again and leaving my younger self just shocked!​

Architectural Guinea Pig

In the Parks
No
1705274588476.png
As a love letter fusing Yesterland (with its infamous defunct attractions), Goosebumps, and of course- the world-known, critically acclaimed The Twilight Zone TV show by equally famous Rod Serling, comes a new show called The Twilight Zone: Yesterday in Yesterland, a Broadway-style production featuring another "lost" spine-chilling story to tell, with a stunning orchestral score, opening and ending narration, and a chilling "happiest place on earth"... or is it Earth? In the show, when four friends take the wrong turn on the highway while looking for the road to Disneyland, they arrive and enter Yesterland, where only the main character, Tom Morrow, would question its existence. Entering the park, the four friends go on a wild ride through four of the attractions (kooky musical numbers in the show) inside the park (all themed after real defunct rides by Disney), but only Tom notices something is wrong- for one, he's the only one who notices people like his grandparents who he knows are dead, walking by... and after each ride, one friend inexplicably disappears, with the others suddenly forgetting they ever existed, until only Tom is left riding the fourth, going on a ride of a lifetime... because here at Yesterland, everyone is dead.

Seatbelt Safety Kids!
Dazzling 'World of Color' Returns on April 22 to Disney California  Adventure Park | Disney Parks Blog

Bonus: My favorite show at the parks has got to be the original DCA World of Color, because it knocks Bellagio's fountains into the dumpster, featuring super cool fire/water effects, projections, music, and an altogether balance of pure color, unlike the Twilight Zone.

Last edited:

cdunlap

I don’t have time to be creative and come up with anything whilst managing MoM, but I did want to share with the world that the best show at a theme park was and always will be Flights of Wonder at Animal Kingdom
You made Team Lore put an animal enclosure in their land during the holiday project so of course you like the DAK show !

Listen Joe, first of all I'm sleepy, second of all you never should of replaced Aladdin: A Musical spectacular, and third of all that area of the park has no cohesive themeing anymore; actually the whole of California Adventure isn't very California anymore is it. So look, just make a show based on the movie Coco okay, it's set in Mexico, which SoCal is basically trying to be half the time, it has good music, GREAT visuals, and it doesn't matter what goes in the theater anyways as long as it eats crowds away from the line for anything in Marvel land or whatever, trust me. I'm going to take a nap in Animation Academy lobby now.

bonus: its alwyas gonna be fantasmic
ba9c78d33f29669f1f02c5da7a7fa2e1.jpg

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
CnSJFPk.png

Let's see what Joe Disney thinks!
Walt Disney's Fantasia

2122-4.20-Fantasia-1200x800.jpg

A "live-in-concert" version of Walt Disney's "concert feature" has existed for quite some time now (particularly, one that features pieces from both films, as well as "Clair de Lune" the way it was meant to be shown); but here at the Hyperion, this kind of show format is "plussed." In this hour-and-15-minutes production, five pieces from the original Fantasia program are played by a live orchestra in a special pit visible to the audience, and brought to life through dance, projections and new animation. The orchestra begins with "Toccata and Fugue" accompanied by the original animation, then ballerinas twirl gracefully to "The Nutcracker Suite", Mickey Mouse himself appears on stage to reenact his signature role as "The Sorcerer's Apprentice", the "Dance of the Hours" adds some comedy to the show, and it all builds up to a stunning and terrifying "Night on Bald Mountain" followed by an apothéose set to "Ave Maria."
Love how unique this is. A live orchestra, ballet, character performers, animation, this show has a little bit of everything without pushing into being unrealistic. My first instinct was to worry that it might get boring having an hour plus orchestra concert, but you even address that concern with the mention of Dance of the Hours to bring levity half way through. Its an addition that shows the intentionality of your pitch. Even in just a few words you show your concern for the pacing which is very admirable​
Oh, and I forgot to add my bonus, but here it is.

BONUS: My favorite theme park show is Finding Nemo: The Musical. When I was young, it just blew me away. The design was fantastic, the puppetry was top-notch and the Lopezes' score is fantastic. In fact, the very day I saw it for the first time, I found out they were selling a soundtrack CD, and I bought it and I basically listened to it all the time. In fact, it should say a lot about the success of this show that Disney is currently licensing it for schools to put on!

Side note: I was going to say the Hoop-Dee-Doo-Revue, but then I remembered that's exclusively at a resort, not a theme park.
+1 Bonus -The rules for the bonus are pretty loose so I would've counted Hoop, but Finding Nemo is probably my personal favorite. It's obviously overshadowed by Frozen and Coco, but it really is some of the Lopezes' best work!
View attachment 762548
“It’s all about the Princesses, Joe!” We’ll fill the Hyperion stage with a 55-minute production showcasing the iconic sights and sounds associated with Disney Princesses, from Snow White’s “I’m Wishing” to Tiana’s “Almost There,” and Belle’s “Bonjour,” and many more. Add in a half-dozen “princely” backup dancers and ONCE UPON A DREAM will be a song and dance extravaganza that will keep the theatre filled multiple times a day for the next decade.

BONUS: My favorite theme park show was The Hunchback of Notre Dame at the Backlot Theater in Disney-MGM Park (1996 – 2002). It brought the animated movie story to life in ways that I found more emotionally compelling than on the screen.
You can never go wrong with princesses! I'm shocked there hasn't really been a big princess crossover show like this in the parks. The closest we get are things like the castle stage shows, but they generally are all so concerned with not being too "girly" that they shy away from actually celebrating the princesses or fully committing. I'm a nearly 30 year old man and dangit sometimes things should be "girly." A true princess show like this would be great! I love the focus on dance you included which gives it a nice angle beyond just "princess" too

+1 Bonus - I was too young to really remember when I saw it in person, but I loved watching it on my families old VHS Tape my dad filmed of it
Muppet Cinematic Extravaganza

Replacing the Hyperion theater is The Muppet Cinematic Extravaganza , a muppets spin on the most famous Hollywood movies of the time. We watch as gonzo performs stunts at the battle of New York in the avengers or we watch as piggy performing pigs in space and Kermit as master Yoda. This show will let us watch the muppets do hilarious things during the most well known scenes in movies that will sure be a real knee slapper.

Bonus: muppetvision. But I am sure you could have guessed that.
The Muppets and movie parodies. Seems like a perfect fit! I always support more puppets and more muppets. Plus, this actually embraces the Hollywoodland theme rather than just using it as an excuse to go blue sky which is a cool approach. I don't have much to say about this, but that isn't an insult. Muppets parodying movies is just a cool idea. Enough said.

+1 Bonus - Are you perhaps some sort of Fan of the Muppets?
California: The Musical
View attachment 762549
Disney's California Adventure IS about the state of California, as the folks at Disney might have forgotten (what with stuff like PIXAR Pier and Avengers Campus), so this new jukebox musical will act as a salute of sorts to the Golden State - a summary of the whole park in one show, to other words. A vacationing couple on their way to New York City from Minnesota winds up in California after taking a wrong turn (the husband is too stubborn to ask for directions), and wind up getting thrust into one musical number after another. Among the songs featured in the show are "Surfin' USA", "Hooray For Hollywood" (with a cameo appearance from Donald Duck!), "Californification", "On the Road Again", and "The Bare Necessities" - performed by a jovial grizzly bear who serves as the Genie equivalent of the show, guiding the couple through the big ol' state of Californ-i-a.

Bonus: Does it necessarily have to be a live show? If not, I might have to go with Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor, if so I think Festival of the Lion King is pretty epic.
This feels very very much like it would be right at home in DCA 1.0 even down to the jovial grizzly bear and the joke about the husband not asking for directions. I absolutely don't mean that as an insult because it feels like you've embraced that campy salute to the Golden State and are showing the best of what classic DCA had to offer. A very simple premise, but done really well and with some fun twists. Californication might be one they leave out of a Disney soundtrack though considering the less than kid friendly pun in the title that ya might not have noticed (and thats without even getting to the lyrics) lol, but your soundtrack and scene line up is great and while I doubt Disney would use it that song absolutely slaps and is incredibly fun to play on guitar

+1 Bonus - Monsters Inc Laugh Floor is great! So unique and clever how they do it. Festival of the Lion King is a great back up though and might be my second favorite live show at the parks
Monsters Inc.: The Musical
View attachment 762605

Designed as a way to quickly replace the Rogers musical (and as a way to increase the Monsters Inc presence in this corner of Hollywoodland, possibly as a way to create a mini-Monstropolis subland), this new musical (which could become a Broadway musical if there’s greater demand) will retell the events of the 2001 Pixar film in musical style.
Discover what happens if a couple of monsters and a young girl cross paths as Mike Wazowski and James P Sullivan must learn how to bring Boo back to her door without Randall Boggs and Henry Waternoose III knowing (Disney fans may already know what happens, but this musical is different from the film in that it features some new scenes, some of which were deleted from the original film).
This musical is about 2 hours long, features 12 songs (many of which are original to this musical, accompanying important plot points), and since this Monsters Inc, many comical, funny, and entertaining lines and scenes in this musical (maybe even a reference to those memes).
View attachment 762609
Bonus: I’m more of a rides guy than a show guy, but my favorite show was the Magic Kingdom nighttime fireworks show because it‘s a great way to end a day at the parks.

Monsters Inc would be a great musical! There's a lot of fun stuff they could do with the costumes if they lean into stylization the way Finding Nemo the Musical or Spongebob's Broadway show. The story and characters are properly grand and theatric, yet there's very few locations to make new sets for. The jazzy soundtrack with the Randy Newman songs is iconic and would make a really fun start for a musical soudntrack. 2 hours long when the movie its based on is only 90 minutes and this is a theme park show might be a little excessive even for the Hyperion Theater, but I would hold details like that against you. I see a lot of potential with this especially if it is done with the same care as Nemo was in picking talented people to write the soundtrack

+1 Bonus - Can never go wrong with a good fireworks show

A Celebration of a Mouse

The Hyperion is now home to this self-explanatory stage show, bringing Mickey Mouse’s most renowned adventures to life. With its framing device reminiscent of the short Mickey’s Gala Premier, we relive Mickey’s rise to fame as he finds a way to have fun floating down the river on Steamboat Willie, conducts a Band Concert, faces off against his rival Mortimer Mouse, and is enlisted by a certain Mr. Disney to help him make movies in Tinseltown.

For the bonus, I'm gonna give a mention to Muppet*Vision 3-D; just a fun romp with an equally eclectic mix of 3-D effects, animatronics, and even a full-bodied Sweetums!

Never really thought of those, but I'll keep them in mind in the event that I revisit the concept.
I love the idea of doing essentially a musician biopic about Mickey Mouse. Bohemian Rhapsody starring the big cheese as a stage show is such an incredibly fun premise and the framing device anchoring it in Hollywoodland and a stroll down memory lane is a great way to stop this from just being a "best of" concept. I love this! It is a lot of fun and it is nice to see Mickey approached as an actual character with history and goals rather than just a mascot or generic everyman.

+1 Bonus - Muppet*Vision really does amazing things blending in different styles of effects in cool ways

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
CnSJFPk.png

Walt Disney Presents: Lilo & Stitch - The Musical (rebranding the shows with Walt Disney Presents)
Lilo & Stitch (which never had a substantial theme park presence in California) has been reimagined as a musical with new original songs written by Mark Kealiʻi Hoʻomalu (who wrote the non-Elvis, Hawaiian songs in the movie) and Jack Johnson (Hawaiian singer/songwriter most famous for "Upside Down" from the Curious George movie). The Hyperion Theater (having transported guests to the deserts of Agrabah to the frozen tundras of, um, Frozen) takes us to the Hawaiian islands in this musical retelling of the classic Disney film. The "wow-factor" setpieces include Jumba's Spaceship and a revolutionary "surfing on stage" effect (figure it out, Disney Live Entertainment, that's above my paygrade!).

View attachment 762615

BONUS: Animazement from Disneyland! I love the Hero Trio Medley.
It is insane to me considering its popularity how incredibly underutilized Lilo & Stitch is in the parks. I also have always thought that the music in the film is vastly underappreciated. A stage musical would be great and a perfect mix of grounded/personal and over the top fun. I love the thought put into not just the songwriters but what would be the "wow" moments. Those kinds of details go a long way to elevate the already strong pitch. Also, I like adding the "Walt Disney Presents" branding to make it easier to quickly swap out the shows yet still have it feel like a consistent attraction

+1 Bonus - Not a show I've heard of before but I'll check it out!
A bit of a challenge for this round. Originally I was going to go with a more traditional "Disney variety musical" based around Pete's Dragon and other live action films; but then this idea popped into my head.

THE KING OF THE ELVES
Tylwyth_teg.jpg

Image is from Wikipedia by Rhyn Williams.

Partially inspired by Celtic myths and the short story by Philip K. Dick (which was once considered as an animated film), The King of the Elves is a musical adventure that hearkens back to olden days of myths, magical, and morality. When the vain King Pwyll ("Poo-il") slights King Arawn, ruler of the fairy otherworld Annuvin, he is made to rule the fairy king's realm; becoming lost in a land of wordy magic, hungry giants, forgotten gods, and the elven Tylwyth Teg, led by the remarkable Rhiannon, who Pwyll may just fall for. The elaborate spectacle would take full advantage of the Hyperion's technical side, featuring spellbinding stage tricks (old and new), the use of puppetry and animatronics, and all under a score of traditional Celtic music.

Bonus: I haven't been to theme parks much, but I'd say Disney Dreams at DLP in 2012 was my favourite, being at an age where I could truly appreciate the artistry behind it.
Side note: I appreciate you citing the source for the image. Not necessarily needed in this setting (unless you're using fan art which is already kind of a gray area), but it is very nice to see.

I love a good mythic tale of struggles between kingsand realms and magics and puppets with hints of romance thrown in. As someone not really familiar with the story, a focus on a bit more on the core of the plot rather than world building would've been nice. I don't know what the Tylwyth Teg is or why King Pwyll is given a kingdom to rule as punishment for a slight. A lot of that is cool, but for such a short pitch a focus more on the big picture would've been nice. Human king exploring the fairy realm and being humbled as he falls in love and goes on a journey learning responsibility or something. That being said, those might be notes on how to clarify the elevator pitch, but if you had simplified it too much the grand epic tone could've been lost. this feels like a great fit for a stage play or a really epic animated film and I would love to see Disney return to this adaptation because it sounds like a fascinating world full of myths not often adapted in america

+1 Bonus - From what I've seen it looks great!
The Fable of Steamboat Willie

A full-length (45 minute or so) adaptation of Steamboat Willie, Walt Disney’s first masterpiece, presented as a show with character costumes and set pieces, with audience participation for the musical number of “Turkey in the Straw” together with Mickey and pals.

Bonus: Remember when Paradise Pier Hotel had a show with Minnie and Merlin in it? Always thought it was nice to have shows in hotels.
Taking Mickey's original classic, Steamboat Willie, and turning it into a full length stage show is a great concept and the things that could be done with the steamboat as a set/prop would be so cool to see! I also very much love the idea of adding in some audience participation making it a bit less passive than these kinds of shows usually are. It gives this a unique edge and makes it a bit more accessible to younger guests who usually aren't into long stage shows like this.

+1 Bonus - I didn't know that existed but it sounds awesome!

The Incredibles Musical
As the curtain opens, the Incredibles family sings a happy song having just put the Underminer in jail. Guests then hear each of the Incredible family members–Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, Violet, and Dash–sing about the everyday troubles of being a superhero (with their individual super power) in a world where everybody else isn’t a superhero. In the grand finale, the family is reminded of the great responsibility of being superheroes; they (including Jack-Jack) come together to stop Syndrome from taking over the world.
View attachment 762790

Bonus: The Disney Afternoon show (1991) was meaningful for me as it brought the 4 TV shows to life and then brought them all together (with Mickey and Roger Rabbit's help).

I like that you didn't just say "Do the movie, but now with music" which works well with some movies but I feel Incredibles wouldn't have really worked. Framing this as a midquel of sorts in between 1 and 2 focused on the family's personal struggles (while still leading to fun superhero action) is a smart way to to do something more theatric while still caputuring what made the films great. Plus, Michael Giacchino's score would be an amazing basis for a musical soundtrack!

+1 Bonus - A couple years before my time, but thanks to my older sister I watched these shows just as much as the ones made for "my age" and loved them! Great show
View attachment 762877

Snow White and the Seven Dwarves
Since DCA represents a prequel of sorts to Disneyland, it felt appropriate to include the first Disney Animated Canon film. This musical would run about 60 minutes, not much shorter than the original, and include the songs from the original film.
Bonus: Celebrate the Magic is one of the only shows, Disney or otherwise to bring me to tears, so it gets that vote by default even if I found Happily Ever After to be a better overall show.

I love leaning into the DCA as a prequel concept. It's one that Disney has toyed with but never fully committed to, but this takes advantage of that while also giving them an excuse to adapt the original Disney Princess! And thanks to how short the film is, a stage play can essentially be a straight adaptation without cutting much. This is a very simple pitch, but the way you tie it thematically to the park is so clever and sometimes you really don't need much more than a simple concept done well.

+1 Bonus - Celebrate the Magic is vastly underrated. It was the first projection mapped castle show I saw and it blew my mind
I don’t have time to be creative and come up with anything whilst managing MoM, but I did want to share with the world that the best show at a theme park was and always will be Flights of Wonder at Animal Kingdom

+1 Bonus - Yeah, I'll give you a point for this even though you aren't playing lol. An unsurprising choice of show for Joe Rohde's burner account :p

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
CnSJFPk.png

Manila is an elaborate and operatic musical taking guests to Manila, the capital city of the Philippines where dances and songs are performed by folkloric creatures such as Tikbalang, an anthropomorphic horse associated with incredible strength and speed, Diwata, spirits of the elements comparable to fairies, Sirena, mermaids who aid lost sailors and symbols of Queer identities, and Engkanto, the evil form of the Diwata. There really is no plot to speak of but it tells the story of a young woman named Jeri (she/her) and her fiance, a young man named Will (he/him), going on a trip to Manila to reconnect with her heritage and stopping at a coffee shop where the couple meets Luzon (they/them), a person who is deeply connected to the city of Manila, who takes the couple on a fantastic voyage through Manila and the nearby coast, meeting the supernatural beings that call the island of Luzon home! The inclusion of both Southeast Asian culture and LGBTQIA+ Identities will make this show the most inclusive thing that Disney has staged to date!

Bonus: My favorite park show is one that I never got the chance to see because it closed too early for me to visit; it's called Pocahontas and her Forest Friends and it was a show at Animal Kingdom about, well, Pocahontas and her animal friends and I don’t think a single image can do it justice so take a filmed performance!

I love the focus on inclusivity and representation done in a way that feels natural. Southeast Asian Culture and queer culture are at the heart of this show, but without it feeling like that is all the show has going for it. Even taking that out, this is a fun and very artistically done show about reconnecting to your roots as told through these myths and legends. A very simple plot as a framing device, but the focus is on an experiential journey. A "road trip" format of sorts not unlike many of Disney/Pixars greatest films where simple stories are used as a tool for character development and fun set pieces/songs. It feels fully fresh and unique, yet still classically Disney. I question how well it fits into California Adventure and/or Hollywoodland as it doesn't even have the slight connection of being a film adaptation, but then again like 90% of DCA doesn't really fit in the theme of DCA so idk if that is really much of an issue at this point. It would be like complaining that Mission Breakout doesn't fit Bug's Land lol

+1 Bonus - I used to love that show as a kid!
Delight in Del Norte
1950s-campfire-picture.jpg
Delight in Del Norte tells the misadventure of an old lady who doesn't feel her age and her two grandchildren going on a camping trip in the redwood forests of Del Norte County. Though the grandson is reluctant for fear of missing out on an upcoming space adventure on the family's new tv, he soon learns that the greatest adventures can happen in the real world. In addition to the beauty of the sets and the sweetness of the ending, this stage show is sure to be a barrel of laughs especially with the antics of Granny's dog Buster and the granddaughter as she tries to take the perfect film of her family's outing.
Bonus: Terminator 2 3-D
intro-import.webp

I have not seen many shows at the theme parks, but the Terminator 2 stage show at USF was such a treat.
I love the unique and low key charm this has. This feels very 60s or 70s Disney. Like taking Carousel of Progress's tone and giving it a California feel. A funny dog, a show about families, a lesson about appreciating the natural world, a California setting (a very very specific one, is there significance to Del Norte county i don't know about or did it just have good alliteration for the title while being around where you wanted to set the show? I wonder if this might feel a bit too dated stylistically for a modern theme park to hold modern audiences attentions. Especially for such a large space. I feel like a smaller venue would help hone in on the more niche throwback style. But then again, sometimes some old fashioned is just what is needed and something simpler like this might be nice

+1 Bonus - The juxtaposition of your pitch being about an old lady teaching her grandkids about appreciating nature and your bonus being T2 3D is amazing lol. This was a really amazing show though and the motorcycle through the screen trick never failed to amaze me.
Olaf Recaps!
View attachment 762917
With Frozen 2, moviegoers saw Olaf give a brief recap of the events of Frozen, as well as many other movies through shorts released on Disney+. As an expansion to Avengers Campus, Olaf now goes through recapping the 4 Avengers movies through the use of a Jukebox Musical. Avengers, Age of Ultron, Infinity War, and Endgame are all quickly described by Olaf with song and dance to complete the events of the 4 movies and have guests ready to continue on their day through Avengers campus!

BONUS: it’s been a decade since I saw it, but Mickey and the Magical Map will always hold a special place in my heart as I still remember him “magically” appearing out of the map and on the platform again and leaving my younger self just shocked!​
Olaf Presents is already a fun idea. It was a stand out moment from Frozen II and something that even people sick of Olaf found charming. It's a great premise for a theme park show too giving you a chance to do really comedic retellings of familiar movies with some added song and dance numbers. Just that would've already been a good pitch. Adding in the Avengers was a very very interesting twist to elevate it though. I don't know if that is a "better" option than just a few classic disney films or whatever, but it definitely is a more interesting and practical one. Recapping what's happened as we get ready for Avengers 5 and as guests get ready to go join the Avengers themselves in [Insert E-Ticket to anchor land here whenever disney gets around to actually finishing Avengers campus]. Its the kind of synergy that only Disney could do with the potential to be a really fun mishmash of tones and brands.

+1 Bonus - It's not one I saw in person, but watching it online I love it!
View attachment 762949As a love letter fusing Yesterland (with its infamous defunct attractions), Goosebumps, and of course- the world-known, critically acclaimed The Twilight Zone TV show by equally famous Rod Serling, comes a new show called The Twilight Zone: Yesterday in Yesterland, a Broadway-style production featuring another "lost" spine-chilling story to tell, with a stunning orchestral score, opening and ending narration, and a chilling "happiest place on earth"... or is it Earth? In the show, when four friends take the wrong turn on the highway while looking for the road to Disneyland, they arrive and enter Yesterland, where only the main character, Tom Morrow, would question its existence. Entering the park, the four friends go on a wild ride through four of the attractions (kooky musical numbers in the show) inside the park (all themed after real defunct rides by Disney), but only Tom notices something is wrong- for one, he's the only one who notices people like his grandparents who he knows are dead, walking by... and after each ride, one friend inexplicably disappears, with the others suddenly forgetting they ever existed, until only Tom is left riding the fourth, going on a ride of a lifetime... because here at Yesterland, everyone is dead.

Seatbelt Safety Kids!
Dazzling 'World of Color' Returns on April 22 to Disney California  Adventure Park | Disney Parks Blog'World of Color' Returns on April 22 to Disney California  Adventure Park | Disney Parks Blog

Bonus: My favorite show at the parks has got to be the original DCA World of Color, because it knocks Bellagio's fountains into the dumpster, featuring super cool fire/water effects, projections, music, and an altogether balance of pure color, unlike the Twilight Zone.
A Twilight Zone musical set in a theme park full of defunct disney rides seems custom designed to make me happy. The "Everyone is Dead" twist and very eerie tone/premise might be a bit dark for a Disney park, but it feels so perfectly Twilight Zone and would just be a blast for people like me. This would be a really tough balancing act to pull off without feeling either too cheesy or too creepy, but if they threaded that needle this could be a really incredible show full of fan service without ever being bogged down by just being a series of references as the focus is on the characters and the mystery with the Easter Eggs just adding to the fun.

+1 Bonus - Haven't seen it in person, but just in videos it looks astounding!
Listen Joe, first of all I'm sleepy, second of all you never should of replaced Aladdin: A Musical spectacular, and third of all that area of the park has no cohesive themeing anymore; actually the whole of California Adventure isn't very California anymore is it. So look, just make a show based on the movie Coco okay, it's set in Mexico, which SoCal is basically trying to be half the time, it has good music, GREAT visuals, and it doesn't matter what goes in the theater anyways as long as it eats crowds away from the line for anything in Marvel land or whatever, trust me. I'm going to take a nap in Animation Academy lobby now.

bonus:
View attachment 763005
I really love the combative tone you're taking with Joe Disney lol. I agree that he should never have gotten rid of Aladdin. Shame on Joe Disney. With that aside, Coco is a great pick for a stage play. Like you said: great music, great visuals that would translate well to the stage, and just overall a great movie! There's not much to your pitch beyond "Take that movie and make it a musical" which is all you really need, but in game slike this putting your own spin on it can add a fun extra layer to your pitches. But this entry was so fun to read and I love seeing your comedy skills here lol. Take that well earned nap

+1 Bonus - Fantasmic!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
9wYfNiB.png

This was an interesting round because with stage shows it can be a very tricky balancing act between being unique/bringing something different to the table while still being broad/crowd pleasing. It makes judging it difficult. Especially when so many of your shows sound awesome!

wfH4MNC.png

@Evilgidgit - The King of the Elves
&
@cdunlap - Manila

The Honorable Mention goes to someone who's project excelled in one field, but did not quite make the cut for a medal for whatever reason. Both of these were fantastic shows with very unique premises not based on familiar stories/myths that showed a ton of promise, but ultimately were held back by them not necessarily being the best fit for DCA even though I would love to see both of these adaptations make it to the stage somewhere

fi8BZ2h.png

@WaltWiz1901 - A Celebration of a Mouse

On the surface at first glance this might seem like just a greatest hits of Mickey Mouse show, but your smart framing device and way you laid out the story elevated this a lot and made it much more creative and fun than it could have been.

oUugaAj.png

@imagineer97 - Walt Disney Presents: Lilo & Stitch - The Musical

A very simple premise communicated simply. A great elevator pitch where you didn't get bogged down with details and focused on highlight. Here's the basic premise. Here's who's writing the music to make the soundtrack stand out. Here's some wow moments. Very matter of fact in a good way giving the right details to make it stand out!

33sYVki.png

@Brer Panther - California: The Musical

Capturing what made DCA 1.0 great while bringing it into the modern era! A love letter not just to the Golden state but to the park this is built in. All done with a very fun over the top tone and a really original soundtrack with a clear sense of how the scenes would progress!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
PblDwXM.png

Just a reminder of how scoring works:
Submitting anything is worth 1 Point
Doing anything for the bonus is worth 1 Point
A Bronze or Silver Trophy is worth an extra 1 point
A Gold Trophy is worth an extra 2 Points!

If I did math wrong and you feel like your score is wrong, let me know and I'll fix it!

Any ties at the end of the game will be determined by either whoever has the most trophies and/or a fight to the death

@AceAstro - 16
@Brer Panther - 16
@ThemeParkPriest - 14
@Architectural Guinea Pig - 14
@Disney Warrior - 14
@imagineer97 - 14
@major.hatter - 13
@WaltWiz1901 - 12
@Evilgidgit - 12
@Solaris Knight - 12
@OvertheHorizon - 12
@Suchomimus - 12
@Muppetsfan#1 - 11
@cdunlap - 10
@Miru - 10
@spacemt354 - 8
@DisneyManOne - 8
@MickeyWaffleCo. - 4
@Lizzy May Bee - 4
@Disney Dad 3000 - 2
@mharrington - 2
@DisneyFan32 - 2
@FireMountain - 2
@Dark PerGron - 1

A very close race that could still go to anyone!

Pi on my Cake

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Scene Seven
The Sky is Blue

Bhouryx.png

Welcome one and all to the seventh prompt of the One Sentence Competition: Pitching Elevators!
Feel free to join in even if you missed the previous rounds

-The Set Up-
It is the eve of the 2024 D23 Expo (August 2024) and you are in an Elevator with the head of Imagineering, Joe Disney!

Recently, Disney has developed a bit of a new tradition. Once a year, every year, they announce a brand new replacement for Dinoland USA at Animal Kingdom! In 2022, they announced it would be replaced with two mini-lands, one based on Moana/Polynesian Animals and the other based on Zootopia/Cops (DAK said ACAB, All Cops Are Bunnies). In 2023, they announced that Dinoland would be replaced by a larger Tropical Americas land anchored by Encanto and Indiana Jones attractions but the land was not directly based on either.

(Click the picture for a more detailed look at the current plan for the area)

Now we are fast approaching the 2024 D23 Expo and Joe Disney is panicking! They forgot to come up with an entirely different blue sky pitch to announce this year to replace Dinoland! We gotta keep this tradition alive! Quick, we need a new idea that doesn't reuse any of the past concepts!

-Challenge-
Pitch a new replacement for Dinoland U.S.A. in Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World.

You must include at least 1 IP, but you cannot include Moana, Zootopia, Encanto, or Indiana Jones.

-Rules-
  • Please keep in mind what IPs Disney has access to or would realistically license. This does take place in August of 2024 so all current Disney IP is fair game as well as any that will exist by then​
  • You may use between 1 to 3 sentences and up to 1 image
  • No AI generated artwork, writing, or assistance in the brainstorming process is allowed​

-Deadline-
This project is due on Friday, January 19th at 11:59 PM WDW Time
(8:59 PM Disneyland Time)
5 days from now (extra day for a secret thing you'll see shortly)

-Tips-

K.I.S.S. – Keep it simple, silly. Try not to complicate or overthink things too much. It’s a simple, casual competition – there are no eliminations. Propose as you please, let your imagination soar!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it (generally) realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

BONUS: What's your favorite animal?

Add an animal exhibit for your favorite animal to Animal Kingdom.
I'm not worried about realism here, it's just for fun. It doesn't need to be in your land. If DAK already has your favorite animal, feel free to add a second exhibit!
You may use 1 Sentence and 1 Picture
This bonus results in automatic bonus point

Good luck everyone! If you have questions, please feel free to ask! Enjoy!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom