One Sentence Competition: Holiday Fun

Tony the Tigger

In spirit of the holidays - and tcool’s unrelenting schedule. All of the previous prompts are currently eligible for redos. So if you have already submitted late and had it not count or want to still submit something for one of the past four rounds feel free to do so.

Reviews and Results will now be released December 27th.
I'd like to redo everything that didn’t place. 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:

Suchomimus

View attachment 685946
Seasons greetings imagineers, the second challenge is among us here at One Sentence Competition: Holiday Fun! For this challenge you're all tasked with creating a whole new show, but the catch? Well what would be a classic holiday show with some music! That's right for this challenge you must design a new holiday show that just so happens to be a musical. Now it doesn't have to be a big musical epic, but something as simple as a person playing an instrument or some acapella group would work just as well as a big Broadway style production. Just let your imagination soar!

-Challenge-
Design a new holiday show for any park.

-Rules-
- You may use between 1 to 2 sentences and up to 1 image.
- If you breach any of these rules your project will be disqualified, and will not be counted for rankings nor will it receive a review from me.
- The deadline is December, Saturday 17th at 11:59 PM EST.

-Tips-
K.I.S.S. – Keep it simple, silly. Try not to complicate or overthink things too much. It’s a simple, casual competition – there are no eliminations. Propose as you please, let your imagination soar!

-Judging Criteria-
Is it creative?
Is it (generally) realistic?
Does it fit thematically/visually?

Good luck everyone! If you have questions, please feel free to ask! Enjoy!
Dollywood Presents: A Cinderella Christmas
TheSmokiescom-Dollywood-Train-Winter.jpg

Performing at the Heartstrong Theatre, comes a reimaging of the classic fairytale of Cinderella, starring none other than Dollywood Express No. 70, Cinderella. Brought to life through puppets like The Little Engine that Could that plays in the same theatre in the summer, Cinderella is a coal hauler whose wish to pull the Alaskan Belle on Christmas Eve and make families and loved ones happy i answered by her Fairy Godconductor, who changes her to a pristine and glamorously decorated engine, complete with a beautiful sounding 'glass' bell.

Last edited:

tcool123

Original Poster
Reviews.png

These first batch of reviews are catchup prompts for all who submitted.

Muppet Christmas Carol for WDW’s HM by @cdunlap
I do think a Haunted Mansion Christmas Carol makes a lot of sense as both are centered on ghosts, and utilizing the Muppets who are associated to both is only a natural move that just manages to fit this clash of holiday and spooky. The touches throughout the Mansion fill the halls with Holiday cheer, and I feel like everything respects both IPs while still celebrating them equally.

Dollywood Presents: A Cinderella Christmas by @Suchomimus
I think utilizing the puppets already found in the theater just with a new show is a great way to introduce a new show especially for a park with a smaller budget than say a Magic Kingdom or Universal Studios. It creates a whole new story out of the Cinderella mythos with a Christmas twist.

An Enchanted Christmas: A Descendants Tale by @montydysquith-navarro
The Descendants franchise refuses to die in real life, and naturally a holiday special would just make sense! I mean during the peak of the franchise they had holiday covers of some of their biggest songs so giving those songs a vehicle makes sense to me. The plot sounds like it would perfectly fit into the Descendants realm, and the characterizations present fit what we know already as well.

Dreamwork’s The Polar Express by @Suchomimus
With Polar Express already existing as a holiday film there is stiff competition, but as evident by the Grinch and a Christmas Carol there's plenty of room underneath the tree for more than one version of a story! The emphasis moving from the children to the magic of the train and the environments that are travelled through coupled with the new storybook animation style may honestly help those who are against the current film given that many complaints stem from the focus on the children and animation style. Overall a solidly merry pitch.

Here are the updated point totals with the bonuses factored in:

18 (Tied). @cdunlap - 1
18 (Tied). @mickeyfan5534 - 1
18 (Tied). @englanddg - 1
18 (Tied). @Brer Oswald - 1
14 (Tied). @Chaos Cat - 2
14 (Tied). @DisneyFan32 - 2
14 (Tied). @spacemt354 - 2
14 (Tied). @Lizzy May Bee - 2
13. @Tegan pilots a chicken - 3
8 (Tied). @Architectural Guinea Pig - 4
8 (Tied). @Disney Warrior - 4
8 (Tied). @Evilgidgit - 4
8 (Tied). @Brer Panther - 4
8 (Tied). @Pi on my Cake - 4
6 (Tied). @MickeyMouse10 - 5
6 (Tied). @Tony the Tigger - 5
2 (Tied). @Suchomimus - 6
2 (Tied). @MagicKingdom4Ever - 6
2 (Tied). @ThemeParkPriest - 6
1 (Tied). @montydysquith-navarro - 7
1 (Tied). @TheSorcerersApprentice - 7​

tcool123

Original Poster
Reviews.png

Greetings merry imagineers! It is time for the final batch of reviews of any competition in the 2022 season!

A Holly Jolly Toysmas by @Disney Warrior
So going into this I was excited to see what would be added to the land in terms of the holiday celebrations as the land itself already features two overlays, a stellar decoration package, and unique touches for each of the characters. I do wish more detail was put into what would be different from the regular offerings in this land, but the toy craft making does sound very intriguing!

Holiday Boulevard by @MickeyMouse10
That is one long running overlay given that Sunset Boulevard will be transformed half of the year, but the approach allows for this to be a more sensible move as it works as both a Halloween (Fall) and Christmas (Winter) overlay. Some of these overlays are great fun and wouldn't be much of a hassle to do as is such as the stage show and Cars show, but the actual attractions do worry me as the scope isn't really said. I think the bigger issue would be Rock'n'Rollercoaster due to the giant guitar outside that leads into the main part of the land and the general theming around the music industry. Besides that a solid land celebration with the return of a beloved holiday offering!

Dreamfinder & Figment's Holiday Imagination Festival Party by @DisneyFan32
I actually this works great with the Imagination pavilion as its a fantastic compliment to the ongoing Festival of the Holidays at Epcot during this time period. The writing letters to Santa is great fun, and something that shockingly is not on offer at Disney World even though its such a simple yet great offering. New homes for various meet and greets is another great way to increase foot traffic and capacity during this busy season, and given the pavilion has a second floor there's plenty of room to go around! The cherry on top is the specialty snacks and drinks that pairs great with the other simple fare nearby. Great job!

Discoveryland at Christmas by @mickeyfan5534
First off, I believe this is the first European submission we've had this competition so kudos on that! This is a very wholesome approach to a land wide celebration with an updated décor package, a new overlay to replace the current Star Wars one, and updating current entertainment to actually fit within the land is a win for me. Through this you ensured that the overall project makes the entire holiday celebration in the land cohesive something which it currently lacks, and the special touches to existing entertainment raise them to an even higher bar with unique costumes and flourishes.

A Christmas Fantasy (land) by @MagicKingdom4Ever
Paris certainly has a lot of untapped potential! And rightfully so as there are three major theaters around the park that all are amazing candidates for holiday shows, and with that being a component of the land wide celebration I'm glad to see it. The other cultural touches throughout the land builds upon the heavy European elements in the land already and lend itself well to these kinda touches. The other smaller touches such as the stained glass and projection for the castle are great to see, and really remind guests that they're in the holiday season.

North Pole Land at Six Flags Over Texas by @ThemeParkPriest
Turning trains into the Polar Express is an easy overlay that just makes sense, and honestly more places need to snag these rights as it just makes logical sense to do. The simple touches throughout the former Boomtown are in line with Six Flag's style of overlays, and the train ride being one of the ways to access this land adds to the Polar Express style of magic present throughout this project.

Festivities in Far Far Away by @Brer Panther
The Asian parks don't get nearly enough love on these forums so it's always nice to see them get some representation! Far Far Away is a great candidate for a holiday overlay given its over the top nature thus making Christmas right at home there! A new 3D show for the Shrek theater is a great call given the film has begun to show its age this move ensure that the theater remains popular in Singapore for a longer period of time. The overlay for the Puss in Boots hopefully turns an otherwise lackluster attraction into something a bit more fun for the general public. Overall a solid offering from decorations, to overlays, and even updates to the characters all while keeping the charm of the land intact.

Mary Poppins’ Jolly Holiday Celebration by @TheSorcerersApprentice
I will say that this presentation was bit difficult to read as it relied more on run on sentences to get its full idea out. That said overall this is a huge improvement over what is currently at the UK pavilion. In particular the new decoration package sounds superb as it celebrates the holidays as well as the IP while incorporating various elements associated with the British. I do wonder how feasible it would be for Disney to have a themed carousel just for the overlay, but as a whole this celebration was very nice.

Hershey’s Chocolate Village 🍫 by @Architectural Guinea Pig
The fact that the existing structures aren't made of chocolate is surprising given the park's theme, but with that said this sounds like a homerun given that multiple parks have been known to do this to celebrate the holidays. The slight overlay of the popular coaster nearby makes sense with the season as do the new games guests are able to play. This holiday celebration looks past just Christmas by incorporating traditions from Hannukah and New Years in tasteful fun ways that add to the joy brought from chocolate during the season.

The Land Holiday Harvest by @Tegan pilots a chicken
Instead of introducing the concept as a sole sentence I would've loved a compound sentence describing the new holiday decorations for the pavilion as at the moment they're spare outside of Living with the Land's overlay. Something light that would make the pavilion's new overlay feel much more cohesive. That said what was added was great. The winter themed Soarin makes perfect sense for the holidays, and the Harvest Theater's new films are nice little distractions from the regular bustle of the day.

World of Christmas Markets at Epcot World Showcase by @Tony the Tigger
I think my biggest issue is that this is already an offering at Epcot through the Festival of the Holidays with these holiday kitchens and booths for food and merch all around both for smaller traditions and the larger countries. The parade concept sounds nice, but I'm not sure how the American Experience's description translates to a parade as it sounds like more of the booths. With that said the actual details are all very solid, and make for a very solid holiday celebration.

Winter Minion-land by @Suchomimus
With the décor package already in place for Tokyo's Minion-land it only makes sense for this to be expanded on by some great new sounding overlays! The holiday music is a nice touch to a flat ride that has been proven to work wonders in increasing holiday cheer as proven by Disney and their many uses of this tactic. While the new film on the Minion Mayhem attraction reuses the same Minion transformation methods and cast to provide a similar albeit holiday and heartwarming experience to all.

Jungle All the Way by @montydysquith-navarro
With the Jingle Cruise no longer occurring in Disneyland holiday cheer in that area of the park is definitely down. The decorations are fabulous fitting right into the Adventureland theme with not a doubt of what inspired of them. The new entertainment sounds lively and fun adding some extra character to the bustling jungle metropolis. A lot of potential in this project, and honestly? I'd love to see this all fleshed out further into a full on project. I also want to note that the length of the run-on sentence made it difficult to read this submission at times.​

tcool123

Original Poster
Results.png

I first want to say thank you all for participating during this holiday season as I know how hectic and unpredictable this period of time can be. However, through it all you all stuck to the holiday spirit and made this season just a little bit jollier. While this may be the end of this season it is not the end of this decade long competition, and we still have much more to celebrate in the following year. With all that said...thank you for the merriment and I wish you all a happy holidays as the final results begin to appear.

HM.png

Jungle All the Way by @montydysquith-navarro
This was a great holiday land wide celebration. However, what held it back was its reliance on a run on sentence. I understand why it was done, but at the same time it did make it harder to read and follow at times. However the land celebration perfectly captures the magic of the holiday season for the land itself.

Third Place.png

Winter Minion-land by @Suchomimus
While simple I think this is a great way to give a land an overlay, and making use of what already exists at the parks. With that said these overlays felt like missing pieces of the puzzle for the land which is already decked out with holiday cheer. The music on the flat ride is a great example of how something small can change something largely, and the new film would be a big welcome to this long running film to not just Japan but the Universal parks around the world.

Second Place.png

Hershey’s Chocolate Village 🍫 by @Architectural Guinea Pig
This was a great way to see a smaller park get a very fleshed out feeling holiday celebration with many offerings. Many of which may be small by themselves, but together they feel like a whole holiday land celebration should. The various small offerings such as the wishing trees and the games helped to being an extra helping of holiday cheer.

First Place.png

Festivities in Far Far Away by @Brer Panther
I feel like this land overlay perfectly encapsulates the spirit of what Shrek is yet ensures that less popular offerings get additional love during the holiday season in order to help boost their popularity and spread capacity throughout the park more. The new costumes and décor package add on to the area in ensuring that guests are fully immersed into this holiday realm brought to them by Shrek.​

tcool123

Original Poster
Results.png

Here are the final results of the season! Ties were broken based on what the placings were. If a player has two honorable mentions that's equal to one bronze, this applies to every ornament level.

18 (Tied). @cdunlap - 1

14 (Tied). @mickeyfan5534 - 2

13. @DisneyFan32 - 3

12. @Tegan pilots a chicken - 4

11. @Pi on my Cake - 4 (1 Bronze Ornament)

10. @Evilgidgit - 4 (1 Silver Ornament)

9. @Disney Warrior - 5

8. @MickeyMouse10 - 6 (1 Bronze Ornament)

7. @Tony the Tigger - 6 (1 Bronze Ornament, Grandma's Holiday Plate Award)

6. @Architectural Guinea Pig - 6 (1 Silver Ornament)

4 (Tied). @MagicKingdom4Ever - 7 (1 Gold Ornament)

4 (Tied). @ThemeParkPriest - 7 (2 Silver Ornaments)

Third Place.png

@Brer Panther - 7 (1 Gold Ornament, 2 Honorable Mentions)

Second Place.png

@Suchomimus - 8
@montydysquith-navarro - 8
(1 Gold Ornament, 1 Bronze Ornament, 1 Honorable Mention)

First Place.png

@TheSorcerersApprentice - 8
(1 Gold Ornament, 1 Silver Ornament, 1 Honorable Mention, The Christmas C-arrr-ol Award)

Thank you all for participating, and I hope you have had the most holiday fun!

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
View attachment 688199

Here are the final results of the season! Ties were broken based on what the placings were. If a player has two honorable mentions that's equal to one bronze, this applies to every ornament level.

18 (Tied). @cdunlap - 1

14 (Tied). @mickeyfan5534 - 2

13. @DisneyFan32 - 3

12. @Tegan pilots a chicken - 4

11. @Pi on my Cake - 4 (1 Bronze Ornament)

10. @Evilgidgit - 4 (1 Silver Ornament)

9. @Disney Warrior - 5

8. @MickeyMouse10 - 6 (1 Bronze Ornament)

7. @Tony the Tigger - 6 (1 Bronze Ornament, Grandma's Holiday Plate Award)

6. @Architectural Guinea Pig - 6 (1 Silver Ornament)

4 (Tied). @MagicKingdom4Ever - 7 (1 Gold Ornament)

4 (Tied). @ThemeParkPriest - 7 (2 Silver Ornaments)

View attachment 688198

@Brer Panther - 7 (1 Gold Ornament, 2 Honorable Mentions)

View attachment 688197

@Suchomimus - 8
@montydysquith-navarro - 8
(1 Gold Ornament, 1 Bronze Ornament, 1 Honorable Mention)

View attachment 688196

@TheSorcerersApprentice - 8
(1 Gold Ornament, 1 Silver Ornament, 1 Honorable Mention, The Christmas C-arrr-ol Award)

Thank you all for participating, and I hope you have had the most holiday fun!
I can't wait for next one next year, when the next challenge will be about soon?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom