One Little Spark 3: The Spark Squad - Main Competition Thread

NateD1226

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
B1CB8E36-C12A-476F-9CB9-66341C2F232D.jpeg

REVIEWS

When @Pi on my Cake and myself were coming up with the prompts for this game, this was one of the challenges I was most looking forward to. Taking place inside a well established park that has often been the subject of armchair Imagineering, but from an angle that I don’t think had been done before, it produced some unique and often hilarious results. You can definitely expect a few more prompts that follow the template of unexpected finds in familiar places.

Onto your projects!

The Interns went with what I would call the safe route, but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing. First of all, your presentation format; I loved it!! Framing your submission as a proprietary internal document we aren’t meant to see was a simple yet effective way to make your project stand out. And the nod to Stanza I from SA7 warmed my heart! CAT!!! The brief mentions of supplemental additions such as San Andreas Shakes, in addition to other opening day DCA attractions help make this feel more genuine. The concept itself is again simple but effective. Your abundance of images in the queue section of the write up definitely helped set the proper tone. A dark ride through simulated countryside with all the things going haywire embraces that pure Disney charm that just works. I loved that you included the orange grove scent, I hate that you forever traumatized me by having it be associated with being chased by angry bees. I think I wanted maybe one more show scene, and I definitely wanted more visuals for the actual ride itself. But overall this is a perfectly serviceable attraction that adds much needed energy to an otherwise lackluster area of DCA 1.0, great job, Squad!

Team B took a very unexpected route with their attraction based on Charlotte’s Web. The farmers almanac presentation idea was really unique, but it also seemed to only be applicable to the first portion of your write up. I loved your updated park map with the big barn in BVF. Just imagine how jarring yet charming the landscape of DCA will look with an addition like this. As per usual, you took great care to provide detailed backstory for your design choices. I think a brief summary of the original work would have been beneficial here. You can’t always assume that your readers are intimately familiar with your source material, regardless of how iconic it may be. I really appreciated the details of the ride system and other mechanisms that make the ride work. Conceptualizing an original score for the attraction was a very nice touch. And I absolutely adore that the staring characters of attraction are spiders. The other animal guests all sound charming and lovely, I just really wished for a few additional visuals to help fully immerse me in the atmosphere of your attraction. I wonder if this attraction proved to be popular if that would lead to the fairgrounds actually being constructed as sort of an expansion to BVF. I absolutely adore the illustrations @Honey Bee (Rebooted) provided at the bottom of the Doc. But seeing them just made me wish they were used more in your presentation! Overall, I loved it. You took a swing at something that while isn’t necessarily a natural fit in the park and made it work! I want to be able to experience this for real! Great work, Squad!

The Warriors chose to lean entirely into irreverence and humor for their presentation. And you absolutely nailed it. Test Tractor is such a delightfully absurd concept that I’m almost surprised that it wasn’t actually built for DCA! The difference between your last project and this one is that I can sense the attention and investment that went into developing this one; whereas your previous submission felt rushed together, this felt like it was cared for all the way from the drawing board to the final draft and I just loved it! The team wished to recognize @NateD1226 for providing the extra push over the finish line for the team this week, so congrats Nate! Fantastic work! Honestly I had to pause so many times while reading this because I was laughing so hard! It was a complete joy to experience! Amazing job, Squad!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
RESULTS.

Once again, you all made this very difficult.

Team B

This came down to nitpicking. Honestly with a few touch ups or additions here or there, you probably would have won this round. Your choice of source material was bold and appreciated. Your concept was absolutely wonderful. It just came down to the presentation of that concept, I just wanted a little bit more. But great work, as always, Team B! I can’t wait to see what you do next!

The Imagination Institute Interns

Much like Team B, it came down to nitpicking and this was just a few details away from winning. The concept itself was great, the presentation format was immersive, and overall it was a lovely project. Just needed some more. But you did wonderful as usual, Interns, and I’m looking forward to everything else we get from you!

Wario’s Warriors

From the ridiculousness of the John Deer mascot to the absurdity of the attraction itself, this was pure hilarity and I loved it. This Squad has found its identity and in this round it all finally came together for you. Irreverence and sarcasm will not always result in the winning formula, but in this case it absolutely worked to perfection. Great job, you deserve it. Congrats on your first W! I can’t wait to see what other wacky and off the wall ideas you create!

NateD1226

RESULTS.

Once again, you all made this very difficult.

Team B

This came down to nitpicking. Honestly with a few touch ups or additions here or there, you probably would have won this round. Your choice of source material was bold and appreciated. Your concept was absolutely wonderful. It just came down to the presentation of that concept, I just wanted a little bit more. But great work, as always, Team B! I can’t wait to see what you do next!

The Imagination Institute Interns

Much like Team B, it came down to nitpicking and this was just a few details away from winning. The concept itself was great, the presentation format was immersive, and overall it was a lovely project. Just needed some more. But you did wonderful as usual, Interns, and I’m looking forward to everything else we get from you!

Wario’s Warriors

From the ridiculousness of the John Deer mascot to the absurdity of the attraction itself, this was pure hilarity and I loved it. This Squad has found its identity and in this round it all finally came together for you. Irreverence and sarcasm will not always result in the winning formula, but in this case it absolutely worked to perfection. Great job, you deserve it. Congrats on your first W! I can’t wait to see what other wacky and off the wall ideas you create!
It’s our turn to poke fun 😉

500E28CD-AB0C-4793-B5F2-C54E3A53266E.jpeg

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
AynHnMo.png

Welcome to the third act of the One Little Spark Competition 3!

This act will have 2 Scenes!

We gotta go into hiding! So, all of the scenes in this act will be centered around some good hiding spots. Namely weird spots to have prompts. Still at Disney Parks/Resorts (Possibly Universal too), but not commonly looked at locations.

The Scenes in this act will try to encourage a blend of classic armchair imagineering applied to less classic places. Imagineering games often take players to all sorts of exciting locales. It's up to the players to bring their passions with them!

Scene Five Begins Now!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
dQr2DSU.png

--The Set Up--

It is pretty often both in real life and in armchair imagineering that projects take inspiration from the Adventurer's Club, the crown jewel of Pleasure Island. This bar/restaurant/nightclub blended together a unique setting, a fun cast of characters, and an interesting mythology to create something truly special! It is still a fan favorite to this day despite being demolished years ago. AND it was where the S.E.A. mythology was born!

dsc07392.jpg

But Adventurer's Club was far from the only highlight of Pleasure Island at Downtown Disney! 8Trax was a Disco Hall dedicated to 70s/80s throwbacks. Comedy Warehouse feature improv performers and a subversive show satirizing a Disney vacation. Mannequins Dance Palace was known for live dancers, light shows, and a rotating dance floor. That's barely scratching the surface!

There were so many amazing things to see and do here!

Pleasure-Island.jpg

Pleasure Island itself uses the story of the original character Merriweather Adam Pleasure to tie everything together. Nearly every major aspect of Pleasure Island tied into the story. There is also a mascot! The Funmeister! A Moon Man and magical being who embodies festivity and inspired Pleasure to settle on the Island.

3e7934ebf6daf977ad92b99190a84eab.jpg

Plus, the name was inspired by Pinocchio and Jessica Rabbit served as an unofficial secondary mascot! So, there are a lot of ways to connect both IP and original ideas to what was there. Whether by tying into the larger storyline or just by fitting the vibes.

409558096_70788dd6d7_b.jpg

Defunctland did an excellent video on the history of Pleasure Island

--The Challenge--

Imagineers, your challenge is this:

Design a new Club, Bar, or Restaurant for Pleasure Island Opening in 1997! There have been many armchair imagineering projects meant as spiritual successors to the Adventurer's Club, but now is your chance to make something that could stand alongside it!

Remember, we are in the late 90s, keep that time period in mind with any technology or IP choices! We aren't gonna be fact checking every detail for accuracy, but try to keep the time period in mind.

down1.jpg

(Here is a map of Downtown Disney in 1997)

--A Note on Judging--

Some of these clubs were memorable for their entertainment. Some for their atmosphere. Some for their menus. Some for their gimmicks. Others for their blending of these.

I encourage you to not worry as much about what might make one specific club (even adventurous ones) amazing and instead find what the members of your team are the most passionate about and focus on that!

GvGQH6V.gif

Alright, Teams. Have fun! Go Create! Dream Big!

This is due on Friday, February 18th at 11:59 PM WDW Time

Evilgidgit

EVILGIDGIT'S QUICKFIRE REVIEW OF TEAM B'S SCENE 4!
--Using Charlotte's Web for the attraction was a great idea, creating a really cute ride concept, and certainly brings more life to Bountiful Farm than static tractors!
--
The map with the barn actually looks like it was always meant to be there.
--The Farm Almanac is both a pro and con, it fits in with the theming and concept, but is kinda limiting too. Reading the text with the same background is a little distracting, and a lack of imagery didn't help. It's mostly nitpicking to be honest, but I feel the visual design let the presentation down. Good concept though.

ThemeParkPriest

Team B.jpg

presents "IrishTown Speakeasy & Arcade"
Irishtown.jpeg

IrishTown Speakeasy & Arcade at Pleasure Island brings guests into the hideout for the underground Irish Mafia in the United States. The exterior and interior of this adult beverage and game center is reminiscent of the Irish neighborhood of South Boston in the early 1900’s. The Mafia enjoy drinks that remind them of their favorite childhood myths. They are happy to share those drinks with whomever is brave enough to set foot in their hangout.
SouthBoston.jpg

BAR MENU

COCKTAILS
Banshee Brew - Anejo Rum, pineapple juice, Amaretto, lime juice, house made cardamom syrup
Irish-Chelada - Pilsner, Bloody Mary mix, pickled hop juice, Hell's Kitchen hot sauce, and lime juice
Drink of Kells - Mulholland Vodka, grapefruit juice, housemade rosemary and chili simple syrup
Strawberry Leprechaun Margarita - Fidencio Mescal, housemade strawberry jalepeno syrup, Tajin rum
Irish Mythology Gangster Video Game Bodega Drink - Corralego Reposado Tequila, housemade peach syrup, lime juice, pineapple juice, garnished with frozen peaches

BEERS
Assorted

WINES
Red - Zinfandel
Cabernet Sauvignon
Pinot Noir
White - Chardonnay
Sauvignon Blanc
Rose
Sparkling​

The Irish Mafia also enjoy playing games to pass the time. As you pass the bar area you enter a room, decorations dotting the wall, of video games pasts (both imagery from the games/franchises in the arcade and consoles) There's a small section in the bottom right corner that has a couple of those game stations for different consoles - like the kind you would find in McDonald’s in the 90's/early 2000's. Games are regularly rotated out, to keep a fresh look for the locals and to keep everything running. From the bottom right corner to the top right corner along the wall are Nintendo machines- ala Donkey Kong, punch out and so on and so forth. Up along the wall across from the entrance are all the classics, including Space Invaders, Pacman, and fighting games (like Mortal Kombat). The left wall is pinball paradise and an entrance to a second room. Pinball machines line the left wall. In the center is a bunch of seating. The second room contains the larger arcade machines (such as Dance Dance Revolution and driving games) as well as more seating. Over each machine is wall art matching it to make it easier to identify. The machines are operated by tokens.

Arcade1.pngArcade2.pngArcade3.png
Adults will enjoy the drinks, camaraderie, and tasting the life of a gangsta at IrishTown. It will be sure to make its own mark on the great establishments at Pleasure Island!

spacemt354

Chili's
Imagination Interns Present
rendezvous-logo-png.622122

OvertheHorizon

Wario Warriors

Things I loved: The overall idea. I think you hit the mark. The “Caroling Cabin” gingerbread house dessert (although a picture would have been nice). The Devil’s Drink challenge. This seems like the kind of club with something for everyone.

Suggestions: Perhaps, because of its solitude, the Blue Bayou (quiet room) should have been mentioned last, since it is tucked away in the back. Spelling: Aesthetic. Pecos Bills could have been fleshed out more. Maybe include a floorplan that shows how the overall space is laid out.

Team B

Things I loved: Short and sweet. A promising idea. Good cocktail ideas.

Suggestions: Could have been fleshed out more. An Irish Town Speakeasy carries a sufficient theme that I’m not sure about bringing in the idea of “Irish Mafia.”

Imagination Institute

Things I loved: Creative backstory for Merriweather. Loved the idea of a zeppelin as an aerial themed bar. Details, like the description of the animatronic and who would provide the voice. Nice selection of cocktails and their descriptions.

Suggestions: Inclusion of “special events” and only listing holidays seemed like an afterthought/filler.

DisneyFan32

In the Parks
Yes
Wario Warriors

Things I loved: The overall idea. I think you hit the mark. The “Caroling Cabin” gingerbread house dessert (although a picture would have been nice). The Devil’s Drink challenge. This seems like the kind of club with something for everyone.

Suggestions: Perhaps, because of its solitude, the Blue Bayou (quiet room) should have been mentioned last, since it is tucked away in the back. Spelling: Aesthetic. Pecos Bills could have been fleshed out more. Maybe include a floorplan that shows how the overall space is laid out.

Team B

Things I loved: Short and sweet. A promising idea. Good cocktail ideas.

Suggestions: Could have been fleshed out more. An Irish Town Speakeasy carries a sufficient theme that I’m not sure about bringing in the idea of “Irish Mafia.”

Imagination Institute

Things I loved: Creative backstory for Merriweather. Loved the idea of a zeppelin as an aerial themed bar. Details, like the description of the animatronic and who would provide the voice. Nice selection of cocktails and their descriptions.

Suggestions: Inclusion of “special events” and only listing holidays seemed like an afterthought/filler.
Now I'll have to wait if the next project will be Disney-MGM Studios related so I can do Roger Rabbit projects with others.

CreateDisney

As for reviews today…Obviously, since I’m under 21, I won’t have much to say here, but I love the idea that the Wario Warriors had (strange that I was never in their PM), it seems pretty realistic. I also like the other ideas but seeing as I’ve never been in a bar before, I don’t have much to say.
I was also left out of their PM and never been in a bar so I will hold off on reviews.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom