One Little Spark 3: The Spark Squad - Main Competition Thread

JokersWild

View attachment 617306

REVIEWS

Imagination Institute Interns

First of all I absolutely ADORE your team name and logo!! This fully encompasses the spirit of armchair Imagineering, and I think it represents this Squad fantastically! Well done!!

The Interns were fastest to brainstorming in the first round, but struggled out of the gate in the second round. Even though it took the Squad a few to get going, once they got out of second gear they really started making strides.

You chose THE perfect setting for your attraction. Like, no other theme park would have made as much sense to me. Maybe Universal, but honestly I think the Holiday World setting oozes charm in a way that would have been missing in a Universal park with an inflated budget. This feels true to the source material in the best way.

I really appreciated the backstory. True to character for Ron without a doubt!

THAT MAP!!!
Honestly it looks completely legit. Like 100% you could have sold me that this was a real thing based on the map alone.

I love all the little details you put into developing this expansion. Leaning heavily into the fictional Sweetums brand was a smart choice. This truly feels like a genuine place. The food menus in particular are on the nose! And I’m not going to be eating any of it!!

The ride itself is a spectacular addition to a regional park! Can we talk about the Planet Coaster video?!?! I love the level of effort put into this. All the signage and the authenticity of the land layout really brings it home. Awesomely fantastic work!

Overall The Interns took on a challenging prompt that hardly any of the team was familiar with and ended up with a seriously charming and enjoyable project! Very good job, Interns!

Team B

Team B went with an irreverent name and logo that perfectly embodies their Squad’s chaotic energy. This group once again clicked right away, settling on a location and ride almost immediately. It was a joy watching them work on this together!

Six Flags New England is a perfect setting for this coaster! WWE just inked a deal with Disney to make Disney+ the carrier of WWE Network in Indonesia. Will this pave the way for a stronger working relationship between the companies in the future? Possibly. But in the mean time, this is a very smart choice! It’s Sasha’s home state and a park that is already high on coaster enthusiasts’ lists.

Let’s cut right to the chase. I am absolutely blown away by the level of storytelling taking place on this attraction. Every single decision of coaster elements is supported by Sasha’s moveset and the flow of a wrestling match. I found myself literally jaw-wide-open while reading this. I really appreciated the use of gifs next to images of each element along with the descriptions. This was fully immersive. Even the color choices had thought put into them and made sense.

And that wire coaster model?! Bravo! Is this super flashy and high tech? Not at all. Is it charming and effective and something I haven’t seen done before? Yes!!

The little additions are cute and welcome. WWEats is a brilliant name! Why this doesn’t exist in real life I do not know. And you better believe I’m trying every drink on the menu at Banks Brewery!

Phenomenal job, Squad!

Wario Warriors

This Squad created a logo that looks straight out of something officially licensed by Nintendo! If you told me this was from one of the Nintendo sports franchises I would absolutely believe it! Very, VERY nice job on this!!

Wario was probably the easiest character/personality to work with in this prompt. And in a wonderful turnaround from the previous round, this Squad got right to work in the brainstorming! The end result is a fully realized theme park land that I want to visit right now!

But, please help me out if I missed it, and I read through everything twice, but,…where is this located?? I mean, I would assume this is in a Universal park, but which one?? I wanna buy a ticket but I don’t know where I’m going!

The site looks AMAZING!! Color choices are entirely logical and it’s totally enjoyable to browse. The backstory is FANTASTIC! Fully immersing readers in one of Nintendo’s most bombastic characters, who is perfectly suited to anchor a mini land like this.

The descriptions of the former Toad Town are extremely thorough and clearly had a lot of thought put into them. I love the use of numerous side characters to help enrich the entire experience and truly make it feel like a genuine place.

An indoor spinning-story coaster with interactivity is an AWESOME choice!! I had an amazing time reading through it, hearing every line of Wario’s appropriately yellow dialogue in his iconic voice! This would no doubt be a blast for the entire family and lends itself well to numerous rides on a given visit. The only thing I wished for were a few images to help sell it more. I was definitely able to conjure up some mental images thanks to your descriptions, but a few pictures would have been a welcome addition.

The arcade and it’s wonderful assortment of mini games are a delightful addition! Especially the “pick it” icon! This embodies everything we love about Wario. And dedicated Nintendo fans like myself would easily spend hours in a place like this trying to master all the mini games and playing any cabinet that had a Metroid or Mario tie in of any sort! Also loved the Wario and Waluigi bands! Guests would certainly have a blast collecting their own treasure during their journey. Hopefully there is a meet and great with the two anti-heroes somewhere as well.

Wario Woods would be a wonderful addition to any Universal park, supplementing the rest of their Nintendo offerings very well. And honestly this clearly demonstrates that an entire theme park based on Nintendo franchises would be feasible and successful. Great job, Warriors!!
We talked about it, but somehow we collectively forgot to mention it in our presentation, haha. Wario’s Woods is meant to be Universal Hollywood’s answer to Japan’s (and probably Florida’s) Donkey Kong expansion.

Thanks for the kind words from each of the judges/ reviewers. I’m really happy that you all liked our project.

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
I’m sure you all want the next prompt sooo,….

RESULTS!!

YOU GUYS MADE THIS SO DIFFICULT!!!!
SERIOUSLY!! I loved all three of these so much!! Any of you could have won this but a decision had to be made.

Deep breaths….

THE IMAGINATION INSTITUTE INTERNS

To be honest, I don’t think you could have done much more than you did. What held you back was the prompt, and I truly feel bad about that. You did an outstanding job with this and I seriously hope you’re all proud of your work!! Good luck in the next round, Squad. You’re gonna rock it!!

WARIO WARRIORS

It was ALMOST perfect!! With a game this competitive, it really comes down to the small details. 99% of the time I think this would have won in any given round of any given competition. I was forced to nitpick at things, so I hope Wario’s taste for silver is just as strong as his taste for gold. Dramatic improvement over your last round however and I can tell this Squad is vibing now! Can’t wait to see you knock it out of the park again!!

TEAM B

Watch out! We got a juggernaut on our hands!! This team is going Tokyo Drift in the brainstorming and once again ended up with a top to bottom phenomenal project that I wanted to nitpick and just couldn’t. Fantastic job, Squad!! Good luck on your hat trick efforts!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
We talked about it, but somehow we collectively forgot to mention it in our presentation, haha. Wario’s Woods is meant to be Universal Hollywood’s answer to Japan’s (and probably Florida’s) Donkey Kong expansion.

Thanks for the kind words from each of the judges/ reviewers. I’m really happy that you all liked our project.
Jokers, I didn’t like it. I LOVED it!

D Hulk

I’m sure you all want the next prompt sooo,….

RESULTS!!

YOU GUYS MADE THIS SO DIFFICULT!!!!
SERIOUSLY!! I loved all three of these so much!! Any of you could have won this but a decision had to be made.

Deep breaths….

THE IMAGINATION INSTITUTE INTERNS

To be honest, I don’t think you could have done much more than you did. What held you back was the prompt, and I truly feel bad about that. You did an outstanding job with this and I seriously hope you’re all proud of your work!! Good luck in the next round, Squad. You’re gonna rock it!!

WARIO WARRIORS

It was ALMOST perfect!! With a game this competitive, it really comes down to the small details. 99% of the time I think this would have won in any given round of any given competition. I was forced to nitpick at things, so I hope Wario’s taste for silver is just as strong as his taste for gold. Dramatic improvement over your last round however and I can tell this Squad is vibing now! Can’t wait to see you knock it out of the park again!!

TEAM B

Watch out! We got a juggernaut on our hands!! This team is going Tokyo Drift in the brainstorming and once again ended up with a top to bottom phenomenal project that I wanted to nitpick and just couldn’t. Fantastic job, Squad!! Good luck on your hat trick efforts!
sasha-banks-victory-is-mine.gif

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
mviGbj3.png

Welcome to the second act of the One Little Spark Competition 3!

This act will have 2 Scenes!

All of the scenes in this act will be centered around a couple of areas that tend to get either ignored or mistreated by armchair imagineers. Our way of "apologizing" for demolishing/replacing these over and over again over the years. Maybe it is because they are in a prime spot for park expansion, maybe it is because they have so much unrealized potential that it is easier to just rip it out and replace it, maybe it is because they're just under appreciated. But for whatever reason, these are topics that get often overlooked!

The Scenes in this act will try to push imagineers to think about things a little differently. To look for unrealized potential and find ways to fully realize it! To fix rather than replace!

Scene Three Begins Now!

Tegan pilots a chicken

Sharpie Queen 💜
Premium Member
ddJZOhE.png

--The Set Up--

Classic EPCOT Center is absolutely NOT an underappreciated part of armchair imagineering! EPCOT in general is a fan favorite place to work in and develop! But there are a few spots that tend to get the short end of the stick.

Whenever we go back to opening day Epcot for a project, almost always the Living Seas Pavilion's location is chosen as the spot to build an entirely new pavilion! The Living Seas has been erased from countless timelines by armchair imagineers!

Much like in real life, armchair imagineers almost always look at Universe of Energy and decide to scrap it in favor of a new E-Ticket rather than finding a way to continue the themes of Energy and update that Pavilion!

Also, when looking back, Horizons and Imagination tend to get all the love while the other slow moving classic Future World dark Ride, World of Motion, gets ignored completely!

And I honestly can't remember the last time I saw someone do ANYTHING with the Land Pavilion!

Armchair Imagineers overlook, forget, replace, and erase about half of classic Future World constantly! Now, with us having travelled back to the Late 90s when EPCOT was in a state of transformation, this is the chance to make amends for that!

--The Challenge--

Imagineers, your challenge is this:

Take one of the often overlooked EPCOT Pavilions and give it a major overhaul!

The Living Seas

The Land

Universe of Energy

World of Motion

or

Spaceship Earth

You may use any of these five Pavilions as your focus. You can focus on updating what is there, adding new attractions to the pavilions, starting from scratch with a new ride dedicated to the same themes, or any mix of these!

Remember, we are in the late 90s, keep that time period in mind with any technology or IP choices! We aren't gonna be fact checking every detail for accuracy, but try to keep the time period in mind.

s-l300.jpg

--A Note on Judging--

We want you to have the freedom to more or less choose the scale of your update yourself! In this time in Epcot's history, Pavilion updates could be as large as scrapping everything to make a state of the art E-Ticket or as small as some refurbishments and a new celebrity to host it.

We recommend keeping the time and availability of your team this week in mind when deciding on what scale you want your updates to be. A simpler idea that you can execute and polish well is often better than an incredibly grand idea you barely finish!

GvGQH6V.gif

Alright, Teams. Have fun! Go Create! Dream Big!

This is due on Friday, February 4th 11:59 PM WDW Time

Last edited:

Mickeynerd17

ddJZOhE.png

--The Set Up--

Classic EPCOT Center is absolutely NOT an underappreciated part of armchair imagineering! EPCOT in general is a fan favorite place to work in and develop! But there are a few spots that tend to get the short end of the stick.

Whenever we go back to opening day Epcot for a project, almost always the Living Seas Pavilion's location is chosen as the spot to build an entirely new pavilion! The Living Seas has been erased from countless timelines by armchair imagineers!

Much like in real life, armchair imagineers almost always look at Universe of Energy and decide to scrap it in favor of a new E-Ticket rather than finding a way to continue the themes of Energy and update that Pavilion!

Also, when looking back, Horizons and Imagination tend to get all the love while the other slow moving classic Future World dark Ride, World of Motion, gets ignored completely!

And I honestly can't remember the last time I saw someone do ANYTHING with the Land Pavilion!

Armchair Imagineers overlook, forget, replace, and erase about half of classic Future World constantly! Now, with us having travelled back to the Late 90s when EPCOT was in a state of transformation, this is the chance to make amends for that!

--The Challenge--

Imagineers, your challenge is this:

Take one of the often overlooked EPCOT Pavilions and give it a major overhaul!

The Living Seas

The Land

Universe of Energy

World of Motion

or

Spaceship Earth

You may use any of these five Pavilions as your focus. You can focus on updating what is there, adding new attractions to the pavilions, starting from scratch with a new ride dedicated to the same themes, or any mix of these!

Remember, we are in the late 90s, keep that time period in mind with any technology or IP choices! We aren't gonna be fact checking every detail for accuracy, but try to keep the time period in mind.

s-l300.jpg

--A Note on Judging--

We want you to have the freedom to more or less choose the scale of your update yourself! In this time in Epcot's history, Pavilion updates could be as large as scrapping everything to make a state of the art E-Ticket or as small as some refurbishments and a new celebrity to host it.

We recommend keeping the time and availability of your team this week in mind when deciding on what scale you want your updates to be. A simpler idea that you can execute and polish well is often better than an incredibly grand idea you barely finish!

GvGQH6V.gif

Alright, Teams. Have fun! Go Create! Dream Big!

This is due on Friday, February 4th 11:59 PM WDW Time

Now THAT'S an excellent prompt. I'd participate myself if I had time. Can't wait to see what y'all come up with!

DisneyManOne

Team B Guest Review

I'll be honest, I am not a fan of wrestling at all. So, I'm walking into this completely blind.

First things first, I really like the little touch of having this ride be in her home state. And it was also quite clever to have the queue take place in a replica of the Rumble Dome. If we're doing a wrestling-themed coaster, why not commit 100% to theming? And the idea itself of using a coaster to make guests part of a wrestling match, with each thrilling component designed to "emulate" a wrestling move, was pretty clever. I was confused at first, but as you went through the ride-through, and described how each move would be represented, things became much clearer. However, if it were me, I would've had Sasha declaring "It's Boss Time!" right before the launch begins, instead of as the coaster gets onto the track itself. That would be a much better way to start the ride, similar to the countdown of California Screamin'. And I also appreciate the tie-in restaurant and shop.

This was a pretty solid concept all-around. When people think of Six Flags, it's always considered as lesser to Disney and Universal, especially given that they are less "theme parks" and more "amusement parks." But this project brought with it tons of theming, theming you would see only at parks like Disney and Universal. And it was all-around amazing! I honestly wish that this was a thing and we could actually ride it. Like you said, Six Flags is well-known for its powerful, thrilling coasters, the likes of which Disney and Universal have yet to really match. And this was another wonderful installment to that legacy.

spacemt354

Chili's
CLJSiFe.png

pFG3d61.png

Introduction: Demystify the strange forces that govern our everyday lives at the Energy in Motion! Guests are invited to become researchers at a state-of-the-art Entropy Labs facility, where learning about kinetic, mechanical, and chemical energy is as easy as jumping on a roller coaster or grabbing a bite.

Backstage: The attractive exterior of the Energy in Motion building was designed with Frank Gehry, an acclaimed contemporary architect.

Trivia: Energy in Motion is EPCOT’s newest pavilion, brought to you by K’Nex. K’Nex’s toys make building easy, and teach kids basic mechanical skills.

Click the Energy in Motion Pavilion in the image below to explore more!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom