One day Pirates of the Caribbean closure for refurbishment

Maelstrom Troll

Not being smart, being serious in asking this, but is the splash THAT bad? People are acting like this is Splash Mountain.

I was in front and never got a drop on me? I guess I'm a lucky one with that.

Have you ridden since the boat change? My right arm and right leg got splashed/wet the first ride, the second time we were in the front row and got literally soaked.

pug

Please don't blame the cast for "overloading." Cast are told that numbers matter most. They have to get four per row and they have to out groups together. Disney World is about numbers, money making, and time shares... Not guest experiences.
Well 4 big guys in one row!

Goofyernmost

We didn't get wet on POTC. I never knew the drop got anyone wet! We also LOVE Splash and have never gotten wet on that either, thankfully.
Me neither on either one. I just read this stuff and wonder what is the reason and why hasn't it ever happened to me. The last time I rode either of them was last January. I have lost count of how many times total I have ridden them over the last almost 32 years. I do believe that people are getting wet, but, soaked is a little tough to understand. Could be, but, I have no basis of experience. Now Kali I can actually attest too.

MerlinTheGoat

I've found a good trick to heavily reduce the chances of getting wet on Splash Mountain, ask the cast members at loading for the back seat (they're usually happy to oblige a request, though you may have to wait for a boat to load). There's still some amount of luck with going around the outside curve after the first lift, it's a bit of a gamble as to whether the backsplash from the big drop will hit the boats. They may tone that down somewhat in the winter however, at least they did a few years ago when I visited (though it may just have been broken at that time because that was when the ride was in super poor condition before its excellent refurb). Also the left side of the boat will further reduce the risk of getting wet.

I never used to get wet on Pirates until they changed out the boats, misted slightly sure but never what i'd consider wet. Now it's completely possible to get legit soaked on the ride more than even Splash can manage. I've had this happen during my past two rides. I can now even get as wet on Pirates as Kali of all things, it sucks. Riding in the front row pretty much guarantees it for me, don't know if the other rows are any better but it's highly plausible.

The Duck

I'm assuming that the old boats are long gone by now but if they're still on property somewhere, what are the chances that they could return?
Didn't they bother to test the new boats before they gave them the final OK?

Bairstow

I'm assuming that the old boats are long gone by now but if they're still on property somewhere, what are the chances that they could return?
Didn't they bother to test the new boats before they gave them the final OK?

Supposedly, Disney did test the new boats. At Disneyland.
Disneyland rejected them.
The Orlando folks, however, weren't as discerning, and happily snapped up a fleet of "paid-for" boats.

NearTheEars

It's worse than Splash. My pants and bottom of my shirt were drenched. I wanted to return to my hotel room to change my clothes, but wasn't in the mood to brave a WDW bus all the way back to the Dolphin at 3 PM.

Yeah, the splash on Pirates is different from Splash Mountain, where you are often soaked on the top half of your body. With the new boats on POTC it seems it's lower, bottom of shirt, pants.

Now I haven't got soaked every time since the new boats launched, but it all depends on placement in the boat.

pug

Yeah, the splash on Pirates is different from Splash Mountain, where you are often soaked on the top half of your body. With the new boats on POTC it seems it's lower, bottom of shirt, pants.

Now I haven't got soaked every time since the new boats launched, but it all depends on placement in the boat.
I always ask to go in the front :(

pug

So when I can't fit in the row, it will screw up the load. I won't get on the boat. Then that screws up the entire line.

I think I'd rather be yelled at by management then yelled at By guests. Common sense needs to take over at some point.
Yeah but would a manager rather get yelled at by a guest Because when I got wet I went and asked for a manager and yelled at him!

TheGhostWithTheMost

So when I can't fit in the row, it will screw up the load. I won't get on the boat. Then that screws up the entire line.

I think I'd rather be yelled at by management then yelled at By guests. Common sense needs to take over at some point.
You don't know the area management. Common sense is doing your job as you are being told to do it so that you can keep your job. I have never seen a situation where four people cannot fit. And I've loaded thousands of boats. Fitting comfortably is another story. Cast don't always like it but they have to do it of they will get disciplinary action taken against them. I've seen it happen. I've seen cast get in trouble from this. So, no. I would have rather have a guest yell at me. Check my avatar picture. If you want to complain, start at as close to the top as you can get. Front line cast doesn't care. They don't get paid enough to. They are instructed to sit four per row, they will continue to sit four per row until the policy is changed, and they will talk the nasty smack about you the second your boat leaves if you complain to them.

pug

Because that's what they are told to do. If they do not do that, management jumps on them.
You don't know the area management. Common sense is doing your job as you are being told to do it so that you can keep your job. I have never seen a situation where four people cannot fit. And I've loaded thousands of boats. Fitting comfortably is another story. Cast don't always like it but they have to do it of they will get disciplinary action taken against them. I've seen it happen. I've seen cast get in trouble from this. So, no. I would have rather have a guest yell at me. Check my avatar picture. If you want to complain, start at as close to the top as you can get. Front line cast doesn't care. They don't get paid enough to. They are instructed to sit four per row, they will continue to sit four per row until the policy is changed, and they will talk the nasty smack about you the second your boat leaves if you complain to them.
yeah but if I am hanging out of the boat?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom