Once Upon a Toy gets Disney Infinity 2 days early AND a free character piece.

shmmrname

As a parent of an 8 yr ole who is engrossed with Skylander I am actully saving money for this.

Side note- I thought I'd never be the parent who didn't "get" video games as I was totally intp game up to and through my college years, but I don't have time to play them now (or have the interest) so I am in the crowd of open the wallet for the kids. (We do make them them earn the money and or wait for deals, but if they are the next Skylander..Huge- just get it out faster than say...the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, other platforms have to have stuff comming also)
I love video games, even as I'm getting older. And, I don't have kids. So, it's really interesting for me to see how parents deal with the situation. I definitely understand that you don't "get" the games, but you're actually in a far, far better place of understanding than many parents. It seems like you have a good general grasp on the concept of the base-game vs figures, which is far-from-automatic knowledge. I've explained the concept to a few parents when they looked lost while in my local big-box retailer.
I often get frustrated when I hear/see a child with access to adult content, simply because his/her parents were misinformed or complacent. But, now that games are experimenting with different pricing models, it's yet another layer parents have to dig through.

Anyways, congrats to you, as it sounds like you've actually made a good attempt at knowing what the content is, and how much you'll be on the hook for it!

JimboJones123

Original Poster
I think it was trying to attempt to make it's own Little Big Planet but it fell bad..

But, This game is still fun to play! Including the corny Game Boy Advance version. Hearing 8bit version of Attraction music..Just hilarious.
1242507532-00.jpg
Disney Kong Racing!

Ignohippo

After spending oodles on Skylanders, I swore we'd skip this one. But, "Toy Box" mode really sets it apart and looks incredible so we're all in. It's all my son has talked about for the last couple of months.

The first DLC will be a complete toy box of Disneyland. And, unlike Universe, the DLC with Infinity will be free.

As for Disney Universe, we absolutely love it. We still play it all of the time. The only downside IMO is that the levels were severely limited and it's a shame that they didn't continue the DLC for it. We are all really competitive, so we really enjoy thebgameplay and how you work together but can wage all out war on each other at the same time.

I really wish Universe were continuing, but it looks like Disney has all of their eggs in one basket for the foreseeable future.

WED99

We'll most likely get it. I already have it pre-ordered, mostly because it's a Disney game that has some promise... so I'll at least give it a try (and as a bonus, my wife might like it). The last release for Toy Story actually surprised a lot of people with its depth in the 'Toy Box' mode, so I can see the starter pack being worthwhile. For me though, I'm not a builder-type, so I'll be looking for the more story/narrative-driven or goal-oriented gameplay.
There's just very few game makers that I'll believe the pre-release hype from, so until I get my hands on a finished product or read/watch some reviews by reliable sources, I tend to be a little less optimistic. Plus, I'm really not trying to be mean when I compare it to Skylanders. I'm actually saying, if it never does more than just clone that franchise, it's already a winning formula. So, if they achieve real improvements or just simply provide a completely different (and better) product, it clearly has a chance at becoming quite a success.
I can understand where you are coming from. Please let me know what your review of the game is after you play it, I'll be interested to find out.

Ignohippo

What is the free character piece being offered?

As I wrote in post #2 of this thread, it's one of the Power Discs, not a character (at least that's what I was told today by one of the employees at OUAT).

The Power Discs are sold in a pack of 2 for $4.99, so it really isn't a great deal considering every major retailer is giving away a free figure and a free pack of Power Discs with pre-order.

SirLink

Anyone who thinks this is a Skylanders clone hasn't learnt enough about the game to judge it. The only similarity it has to Skylanders is the figurines, that's it. Even if you took away that feature and all the Disney characters you still have a game that launches with 30 hours of fun open world gameplay, 20 hours of dlc open world gameplay and an endless about of possibilities in the Toy Box mode.

I think people need to look past the gimmick on this one and see what Avalanche Studios is trying to do with this project. They're creating the perfect Disney game. If people are upset that their favourite film isn't featured at launch they can take note on that and introduce it later on. They're also avoiding complaints from Disney fans about not staying true to the properties by dedicating an entire open world to each film available. The scope of this project is astounding and I think you really have to watch some gameplay or play it yourself for a few hours to appreciate it.

That is literally the only reason why the project got further funding - because of the $$$ that Skylanders were making.

The problem as I heard is that the public want to use Monsters Inc characters in The Incredibles play set and vice versa - you can't do this thus limiting the usefulness and collectibles of the figures themselves.

WED99

That is literally the only reason why the project got further funding - because of the $$$ that Skylanders were making.

The problem as I heard is that the public want to use Monsters Inc characters in The Incredibles play set and vice versa - you can't do this thus limiting the usefulness and collectibles of the figures themselves.
That's where the toy box comes in. They can use Sully and Mike with Metroville toys and buildings in the toy box. However, if people are that desperate to use the monsters in a full Metroville city that they are prepared to slam the game for not allowing them to do that, then I'll make my own Metroville and post it on online for them to use. Problem solved :)

SirLink

That's where the toy box comes in. They can use Sully and Mike with Metroville toys and buildings in the toy box. However, if people are that desperate to use the monsters in a full Metroville city that they are prepared to slam the game for not allowing them to do that, then I'll make my own Metroville and post it on online for them to use. Problem solved :)

Let us just say in focus testing this was a major issue that came coming up - its not its not possible to do that but various agendas that prevented it from happening.

WED99

Let us just say in focus testing this was a major issue that came coming up - its not its not possible to do that but various agendas that prevented it from happening.
Sounds like some people are just a little half glass empty. It would be an easy fix though, just make the cities downloadable as Toy Box worlds. Hopefully Disney takes it on board because if this game doesn't do well then they'll stop adding content, not a good thing for a game with this model.

SirLink

Sounds like some people are just a little half glass empty. It would be an easy fix though, just make the cities downloadable as Toy Box worlds. Hopefully Disney takes it on board because if this game doesn't do well then they'll stop adding content, not a good thing for a game with this model.

That what a focus test is for to maximize sales. People wanted a feature so that it incentivised them to purchase more characters ... they haven't been given one. It'll be interesting to see the sales breakdown of starter sets vs play sets vs individual characters.

Also that would not of been the easiest "fix" - the easiest way of been to tell Skipper John to buzz off. The amount of concessions just to get characters from Pixar in has been staggering. Can't wait until Pete takes over.

IWant2GoNow

You know what they Should make...And I'm just throwing this out there.....Disney Melee..Think about it...

From what I've seen in some of the videos, you can pit characters against each other & even customize a fighting arena.

I'm not exactly sure what this game will be like but with how open it is in customization I think the Minecraft crowd (if some of them like Disney) will be all for it.

I am actually looking forward to creating my own race tracks for some Disney character kart action.

JimboJones123

Original Poster
On Aug. 16, receive ONE (1) complimentary Disney Interactive Game Piece with the purchase of a Disney Infinity Starter Pack ($74.99, plus tax) for the PlayStation®3 system, Xbox 360® console, Wii™ console, Wii U™ console or Nintendo 3DS™ system at Once Upon a Toy in Downtown Disney Marketplace at the Walt Disney World Resort. For details, limits and restrictions, p
Just to make sure it's clear, you get a free Power Disc with purchase and supplies of the free discs are very limited.

They are not giving away a free character, as many other retailers are with pre-order.
The article says game piece.

WED99

That what a focus test is for to maximize sales. People wanted a feature so that it incentivised them to purchase more characters ... they haven't been given one. It'll be interesting to see the sales breakdown of starter sets vs play sets vs individual characters.

Also that would not of been the easiest "fix" - the easiest way of been to tell Skipper John to buzz off. The amount of concessions just to get characters from Pixar in has been staggering. Can't wait until Pete takes over.
Settle now SirLink. We all love Pete but you know better than to use the holy John's name in vain.

I do agree though, I have no intention of buying a character (mainly because they're $20 each here in Australia). But if you think about it, is allowing players to use every character in certain worlds enough to make them dish out the cash? What's difference between them using it in their own respective IP or in the Toy Box.

The solution is simply really. Characters need to come with more gameplay. Then I might have some interest in expanding my collection.

WED99

Also I know it's a little off topic but why do you think Pete will take over?

bhg469

Settle now SirLink. We all love Pete but you know better than to use the holy John's name in vain.

I do agree though, I have no intention of buying a character (mainly because they're $20 each here in Australia). But if you think about it, is allowing players to use every character in certain worlds enough to make them dish out the cash? What's difference between them using it in their own respective IP or in the Toy Box.

The solution is simply really. Characters need to come with more gameplay. Then I might have some interest in expanding my collection.
To my knowledge, the games are coded with only the characters in in those worlds in mind. It would probably be difficult to just drop any character in any game. The sandbox mode however is really intriguing! Seems like its is almost unlimited as far as potential. I cannot wait until people start making virtual Disney parks. The sandbox mode looks to be minecraft with lots of little big planet ability. Definitely not a bad idea. I will not be getting it but I'm sure it will be a huge success.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom