Once Upon a Toy gets Disney Infinity 2 days early AND a free character piece.

Ignohippo

Just to make sure it's clear, you get a free Power Disc with purchase and supplies of the free discs are very limited.

They are not giving away a free character, as many other retailers are with pre-order.

shmmrname

Can anyone explain exactly what disney infinity is? I just don't get it. You make your own cartoons?
It's a video game (or a suite of video games) that uses physical toys to link to mini-games and in-game characters. It will release on multiple platforms, and most people seem to agree that it looks to follow the same strategy (and success, hopefully) of Skylanders.
Because of Disney's larger catalog of characters and settings, it will immediately have an advantage that the Skylanders games never had. And, it appeals to (or preys on, depending on how much you get 'into it') those that are 'collectors', because new characters and expansions are made available regularly.

Cmdr_Crimson

They thought Disney Universe was going to be a big game for the consoles...They also said this with Epic Mickey...And you can see what happened...Now unless they had some Park Exclusive Infinity figures like Figment, Big Al, Horizon's Robot, SMRT-1..Then I would have a reason to get it... Heck they Put Spaceship Earth in it..
Multipleespot.png

JimboJones123

Original Poster
They thought Disney Universe was going to be a big game for the consoles...They also said this with Epic Mickey...And you can see what happened...Now unless they had some Park Exclusive Infinity figures like Figment, Big Al, Horizon's Robot, SMRT-1..Then I would have a reason to get it... Heck they Put Spaceship Earth in it..
Multipleespot.png
Disney Universe was terrible.

Disneyland Kinect was pretty cool though.

shmmrname

Even if it never becomes more than a Skylanders re-themed clone, it could still be very, very successful.

I haven't seen any reviews of the games themselves yet, but I know that the Skylanders games are very limited in scope. That said, the novelty of getting new figures and building a collection has really helped it to remain relevant well-past other more-polished games.

Disney will be the first company to almost completely take the Skylanders idea and merge it with (hopefully) more polished, deeper game modes/worlds AND characters more people actually care about. This isn't like Disney Universe (a throw-away game that never stood a chance outside of a small niche market). This isn't like Epic Mickey (a much-hoped for large-market game that never found an audience, repeatedly modified it's ideas on just what it wanted to be, and was hurt partly because it was Wii-only on its initial entry, yet confusingly pushed on all systems as a sequel). This is an attempt to take a surprisingly successful idea by another publisher/developer, and up-size it using Disney's mass-appeal. If they improve upon any of Skylanders ideas or execution even marginally, this could be fairly huge for the audience that has already made Skylanders successful.

WED99

Anyone who thinks this is a Skylanders clone hasn't learnt enough about the game to judge it. The only similarity it has to Skylanders is the figurines, that's it. Even if you took away that feature and all the Disney characters you still have a game that launches with 30 hours of fun open world gameplay, 20 hours of dlc open world gameplay and an endless about of possibilities in the Toy Box mode.

I think people need to look past the gimmick on this one and see what Avalanche Studios is trying to do with this project. They're creating the perfect Disney game. If people are upset that their favourite film isn't featured at launch they can take note on that and introduce it later on. They're also avoiding complaints from Disney fans about not staying true to the properties by dedicating an entire open world to each film available. The scope of this project is astounding and I think you really have to watch some gameplay or play it yourself for a few hours to appreciate it.

shmmrname

Anyone who thinks this is a Skylanders clone hasn't learnt enough about the game to judge it. The only similarity it has to Skylanders is the figurines, that's it. Even if you took away that feature and all the Disney characters you still have a game that launches with 30 hours of fun open world gameplay, 20 hours of dlc open world gameplay and an endless about of possibilities in the Toy Box mode.

I think people need to look past the gimmick on this one and see what Avalanche Studios is trying to do with this project. They're creating the perfect Disney game. If people are upset that their favourite film isn't featured at launch they can take note on that and introduce it later on. They're also avoiding complaints from Disney fans about not staying true to the properties by dedicating an entire open world to each film available. The scope of this project is astounding and I think you really have to watch some gameplay or play it yourself for a few hours to appreciate it.
But, it hasn't launched yet. There's always grand marketing reveals and details. In the video game world, you really should hold your judgment until a final product is out. This holds especially true for the DLC and the additional characters, as we really don't know what the exact plans are yet.
I do think there's an incredible amount of promise with this game, but there's a lot that could go wrong. Like it or not, there is no getting around the similarities to Skylanders. And, because of this 'collect-them-all' strategy, it could mean that getting the whole experience will be behind quite the huge pay-wall.
Plus, I personally question the timing of launching such a wide-in-scope game. With new consoles launching in just months, coupled with the lagging sales of the WiiU, it could limit the success of this iteration of the game. If that's true, I worry that this Disney Infinity will just serve as a proving ground for a future, more-fully-realized version that launches on newer hardware in 12-18 months.

WED99

But, it hasn't launched yet. There's always grand marketing reveals and details. In the video game world, you really should hold your judgment until a final product is out. This holds especially true for the DLC and the additional characters, as we really don't know what the exact plans are yet.
I do think there's an incredible amount of promise with this game, but there's a lot that could go wrong. Like it or not, there is no getting around the similarities to Skylanders. And, because of this 'collect-them-all' strategy, it could mean that getting the whole experience will be behind quite the huge pay-wall.
Plus, I personally question the timing of launching such a wide-in-scope game. With new consoles launching in just months, coupled with the lagging sales of the WiiU, it could limit the success of this iteration of the game. If that's true, I worry that this Disney Infinity will just serve as a proving ground for a future, more-fully-realized version that launches on newer hardware in 12-18 months.
I think you should look into it a little more, you might be pleasantly surprised. They have announced the dlc, 3 of them. As I mentioned earlier, the only similarity to Skylanders is the toys. With the starter pack you get 30 hours open world gameplay and the entire toy box with around 1000 toys. That's more gameplay than most games released these days.

The timing is a little odd but as was the case with GTA V it was not possible to know they would be releasing then at the time. I don't think everyone will make the switch straight away though, especially not kids. I didn't get a PS3 until about 2 years after the release.

shmmrname

I think you should look into it a little more, you might be pleasantly surprised. They have announced the dlc, 3 of them. As I mentioned earlier, the only similarity to Skylanders is the toys. With the starter pack you get 30 hours open world gameplay and the entire toy box with around 1000 toys. That's more gameplay than most games released these days.

The timing is a little odd but as was the case with GTA V it was not possible to know they would be releasing then at the time. I don't think everyone will make the switch straight away though, especially not kids. I didn't get a PS3 until about 2 years after the release.
We'll most likely get it. I already have it pre-ordered, mostly because it's a Disney game that has some promise... so I'll at least give it a try (and as a bonus, my wife might like it). The last release for Toy Story actually surprised a lot of people with its depth in the 'Toy Box' mode, so I can see the starter pack being worthwhile. For me though, I'm not a builder-type, so I'll be looking for the more story/narrative-driven or goal-oriented gameplay.
There's just very few game makers that I'll believe the pre-release hype from, so until I get my hands on a finished product or read/watch some reviews by reliable sources, I tend to be a little less optimistic. Plus, I'm really not trying to be mean when I compare it to Skylanders. I'm actually saying, if it never does more than just clone that franchise, it's already a winning formula. So, if they achieve real improvements or just simply provide a completely different (and better) product, it clearly has a chance at becoming quite a success.

G8rchamps

As a parent of an 8 yr ole who is engrossed with Skylander I am actully saving money for this.

Side note- I thought I'd never be the parent who didn't "get" video games as I was totally intp game up to and through my college years, but I don't have time to play them now (or have the interest) so I am in the crowd of open the wallet for the kids. (We do make them them earn the money and or wait for deals, but if they are the next Skylander..Huge- just get it out faster than say...the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, other platforms have to have stuff comming also)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom