On-Site Stay

MousekeTina

I've never stayed on-site before but I really want to.

Which resort would you prefer for a first timer?

I always wanted to try the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but Theres so many!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Well it all depends on how much you want to spend. If money is no object then I would opt for AKL. IMHO it is the best resort on property and provides a complete escape from reality but you are looking at a rack rate of $300+ per night. If you need to be a little more budget minded PORS at around $175 per night is great option.

Upvote 0

ebarrett

I would suggest the Contemporary Resort. You can see the Magic Kingdom from there and it is only a short walk. You can watch the Wishes fireworks every night from your room. Lastly, Chef Mickey's is located inside the resort and it is one of my favorite places to eat.

Upvote 0

New2WDW

Other questions would be: do you have kids going? Will you be at the parks most of the time? WHat other activities are you looking to do and which resort caters to them?

We stay at Value Resorts to get the benefits of staying on property and also not having the money to stay at the Moderate or Deluxe Resorts, but if I could stay anywhere I would like the Polynesian! A monorail resort - just jump on the Monorail and at MK you are and all the amenities at the Resort and lake would be awesome!

You are correct thou, there are many to choose from!

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
I've never stayed on-site before but I really want to.

Which resort would you prefer for a first timer?

I always wanted to try the Animal Kingdom Lodge, but Theres so many!

I don't think you will get a concensus answer here, but with what has already been suggested, define your needs first and it will help narrow down your choices.
If money is a major issue, you would consider All Star or Pop Century. I would suggest Pop as it is smaller and a bit quieter. For moderates, CBR and POR/French Quarter are both nice and convenient.
With the Deluxes, Contemporary allows walking to MK, Contemporary, Poly and GF have monorail to MK and Epcot which are great conveniences, particularly with small children. AKL and WL are lovely, but use bus service (WL does have boat shuttle to MK), rooms are a little smaller. Yacht & Beach and Boardwalk are walking distance to Epcot if you spend a good deal of time there. Using suites or DVC properties gives you a kitchen, washer/drier and larger accomodations that some prefer.

Beyond that, all have special offerings and personality. Many folks like to rotate their hotel, sometimes on the same trip as that theming is part of the Disney experience.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the choices.

Upvote 0

MousekeTina

Original Poster
My 9 year old niece will be with my boyfriend and I and of course her mother.

The three of them have never been to the parks, so I figured might as well make this awesome and plan to stay at a Disney resort and take advantage of the extra magic hours.

We'll mainly be at the parks, We wont really do anything at the hotels but sit at the pool. And I liked the idea of themed pools.

Upvote 0

wendysmom

We love staying at Yacht & Beach Club or Boardwalk so we can walk into both EPCOT and MGM. And you can walk through EPCOT and take the monorail (with a change at the TTC) to MK. Can you tell we hate waiting for busses?!:lol: These are great places to stay, too. Enjoy your stay on property...it's the best no matter where you stay!

Upvote 0

jjgoo

I would first see what fits your budget. Then try to pick a theme that appeals to you. Then just try that hotel. That would be really simple and chances are given that you have not stayed on-site before you will not be disappointed.

I have stayed at value, moderate and deluxe and completely enjoyed them all. In my opinion it is a great thing to be able to try different hotels.

I have a friend that regularly splits her stay between hotels because she likes the variety.

My best advice is to keep your selection process down to a minimum of variables. You could go crazy reading reviews about distances to parks, housekeeping, bus services, restaraunts, pools and all sorts of variables.

Make it an enjoyable experience and maybe go for dinner or lunch in a couple of other hotels to figure out if you may want to stay there on your next trip.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

The three of them have never been to the parks, so I figured might as well make this awesome and plan to stay at a Disney resort and take advantage of the extra magic hours.

We'll mainly be at the parks, We wont really do anything at the hotels but sit at the pool. And I liked the idea of themed pools.
If money is not an object then the Yacht and Beach club will be a great choice for you. The pool there is the best on property and IMHO one of the best resort pools in the country. You will also be in walking distance of Epcot, MGM and the Boardwalk.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy

Take some time on the Disney site and review what is presented there to see what appeals to you. You can also check out:http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_hot.htm
That site also has a great section on Dining that give you menu's to check out prior to making your res.

After you decide on your time and resort, I would suggest you plan some of your meals (specifically sit down dinners) and make reservations early. It's not always easy to walk in or make arrangements the day of.

Upvote 0

Eileen

meal plan included question

I"m not sure this is where I should be posting this question. I haven't posted since 2003. My family and I will be going to Disney in August and we planned our trip using the free dining for the week. We just got the opportunity to use my brother's vacation club for that week. Does anybody know if we can do both? Thank you for your help!

:) Eileen

Upvote 0

Eileen

I"m not sure this is where I should be posting this question. I haven't posted since 2003. My family and I will be going to Disney in August and we planned our trip using the free dining for the week. We just got the opportunity to use my brother's vacation club for that week. Does anybody know if we can do both? Thank you for your help!

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

I do not think so. If I am not mistaken free dinning is only available with a MYW ticket and room purchase. I know DVC members can purchase the DDP, not sure about those renting points, so if your room is free to you using your brothers DVC you would be better off taking the free room and paying out of pocket for meals or buying the DDP.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Take some time on the Disney site and review what is presented there to see what appeals to you. You can also check out:http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/faq_hot.htm
That site also has a great section on Dining that give you menu's to check out prior to making your res.

After you decide on your time and resort, I would suggest you plan some of your meals (specifically sit down dinners) and make reservations early. It's not always easy to walk in or make arrangements the day of.

I second that emotion, plus for one more reason. The fact sheet for each hotel at allearsnet.com has the price list for each room for each season.

Without any idea what the OP's budget is like, I'm not about to make suggestions that might wind up being inappropriate for what she and her party can afford.

Upvote 0

cymbaldiva

The ex-DH and I stayed at Port Orleans Riverside (Dixie Landings at the time :) ) in the Bayou side and absolutely loved it!

As far as theme pools, Port Orleans French Quarter has a really neat one and I believe that resort is my all time favorite as well - it's beautifully themed, easy to navigate, and at the time was the bus stop before POR so we always got good seats on the buses! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom