On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Basil of Baker Street

Culver’s is in Orlando FYI. I’ve been to Braums, it does not make the list. Culver’s I believe is one of the fastest growing restaurant chains. It’s now in 25 states.
We have a couple of Culvers in coastal Alabama as well. Someone told me they have a good burger. Now I'm going to have to check it out since you guys have mentioned it as well. I guess it's the same company because its sign mentions frozen custard. We don't have In and Out but we do have Five Guys and Whataburger which are pretty good.

Me personally, I find the best burgers at mom and pop restaurants in the area.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Culver’s is in Orlando FYI. I’ve been to Braums, it does not make the list. Culver’s I believe is one of the fastest growing restaurant chains. It’s now in 25 states.

Culver Franchising System, Inc. dba 'Culver's' , the closest is only 12 miles away from where I sit. Braums is wholly family-owned, all 280 locations and all of them are within a 300 mile radius of Tuttle, OK. where the dairy is located.

Goofyernmost

Fair point - but the point was not that they are 'copy cats' as much as "if you come from an area established with boutique burger joints ... something like In n Out isn't going to be as big of a delta to you... " (compared to someone who only has fast food or casual dining options around them).

The food gap differentiator for In n Out is greatly diminished if someone is used to having today's gourmet or speciality burger joints around.

Damn... now I'm hungry for Five Guys ...
I was as well, so just the other day I decided to go. It is utterly amazing just how important those peanuts were to the atmosphere of the place and the enjoyment of the burger. It still tasted good, but it was like Disney without Mickey Mouse. Just not the same!

Miru

It’s fitting Iger’s legacy came to an end in the same way Eisner’s did; they went from the savior of the company to a disgrace. Except with Iger, it’s even worse, as Chapek has no intention to right the wrongs of his predecessor’s decadent final days (live action remakes, woke, buying everything in sight, needless theme park closures, ugly art in Marvel Comics, tweencoms, the demise of their video game division, etc), unlike what Iger did for the earlier part of his run (ending the cheapquels, saving the relationship with Pixar, selling Power Rangers, Miramax, and Baby Einstein, improving Disney Channel’s animation spate, DCA 2.0., etc), and instead seems dead set in continuing most of Iger’s policies.

GoneViral

In n out is the only burger joint where the 4 of us can eat for around 30.00 dollars so I give it an A+. I don’t like Culvers, but Freddys and their fry sauce is the bomb. Five guys gets a double thumbs up, but the cost gets a double thumbs down.
Yeah, Five Guys vertically integrated brilliantly, which means great food but at a high price.

Culver's is just okay flavor-wise, but they've done a tremendous job during the pandemic.

GoneViral

right the wrongs of his predecessor’s decadent final days (live action remakes, woke, buying everything in sight, needless theme park closures, ugly art in Marvel Comics, tweencoms, the demise of their video game division, etc),
Wrong to:

make money
do the right things
make savvy acquisitions
no idea what this references
whatever nonsense filler this is
indoctrinate a new generation of loyal customers
cut the loss on a failed division

Strange criticisms.

If you hate Iger, that's your call. You need to come up with some better points of attack, though. A $300 billion company's CEO isn't going to live or die by Marvel Comic art critiques.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It’s fitting Iger’s legacy came to an end in the same way Eisner’s did; they went from the savior of the company to a disgrace. Except with Iger, it’s even worse, as Chapek has no intention to right the wrongs of his predecessor’s decadent final days (live action remakes, woke, buying everything in sight, needless theme park closures, ugly art in Marvel Comics, tweencoms, the demise of their video game division, etc), unlike what Iger did for the earlier part of his run (ending the cheapquels, saving the relationship with Pixar, selling Power Rangers, Miramax, and Baby Einstein, improving Disney Channel’s animation spate, DCA 2.0., etc), and instead seems dead set in continuing most of Iger’s policies.

I’m curious as to why you think Iger will be viewed as a failure?

And I’m not an Iger defender...but I just don’t see it?

Miru

I’m curious as to why you think Iger will be viewed as a failure?

And I’m not an Iger defender...but I just don’t see it?
I feel like both Eisner (Chicken Little) and Iger (the remakes) both sputtered near the end of their runs, after they started on high notes and fixing the errors of their predecessor. However, the later parts of the run are marked by odd descisions with laughable results, and often alienating consumers. Overall, they were good leaders for most of their runs, something I am not confident in with Chapek.

Sir_Cliff

I feel like both Eisner (Chicken Little) and Iger (the remakes) both sputtered near the end of their runs, after they started on high notes and fixing the errors of their predecessor. However, the later parts of the run are marked by odd descisions with laughable results, and often alienating consumers. Overall, they were good leaders for most of their runs, something I am not confident in with Chapek.
The difference between the two things you cite (Chicken Little and the remakes) is that the remakes have been massive commercial successes. I don't enjoy them and haven't bothered seeing the most recent ones. However, they're not perceived as failures and objectively made boatloads of cash for Disney.

I agree with @Sirwalterraleigh here; I don't like a lot of what Iger has done, but it's only amongst some in the fan community that there is a perception that he's a failure. Very few people beyond look at the Disney he left behind as anything other than the grand behemoth of the entertainment world. When Eisner left, the company was coming off a hostile takeover bid and looking like it had lost its way in everything from animation to theme parks.

UNCgolf

Wrong to:

make money
do the right things
make savvy acquisitions

Strange criticisms.

If you hate Iger, that's your call. You need to come up with some better points of attack, though. A $300 billion company's CEO isn't going to live or die by Marvel Comic art critiques.

I don't think there's any possible way to spin cutting Disney's video game division as a positive.

It was a shortsighted decision and possibly the biggest mistake of his tenure from a Wall Street perspective. It needed changes, but he cut bait on something that could (and should) be a much bigger revenue generator for the company than Disney+ or the movie division will ever be. I feel like senior management looked at video games as though it was still the 1990s and a relatively niche market for kids rather than the absolutely massive industry it has become.

Last edited:

ImperfectPixie

I don't think there's any possible way to spin cutting Disney's video game division as a positive.

It was a horribly shortsighted decision. It needed changes, but he cut bait on something that could (and should) be a much bigger revenue generator for the company than Disney+ or the movie division will ever be.
One of the Disney mobile games - Disney's Magic Kingdoms - is making a fortune. Too bad Disney couldn't bring that sort of thing in-house instead of letting Gameloft do it.

Miru

Wrong to:

make money
do the right things
make savvy acquisitions

Strange criticisms.

1. These films are damaging the reputation and standing of the originals, by making the unwary call them “the cartoon version”, in the same vein as how the cheapquels degraded the value of the films.
2. “Woke”, all too often, especially at Disney, comes at the cost of actual entertainment. They spend more time impaling you on their messages than actually entertaining.
3. I see. Fox may have been a little too far, but they had some things Disney needed (Pandora, several Marvel characters, a few early live action Mickey cameos, etc) and they were floundering.
4. Riddle me this; why did they take down Starcade and had no replacement? Why did they turn Paradise Pier into Pixar Pier? Why they removed DCA MV3D? Even Mission Breakout was understandable. (If only we got DanganRonpa tower of despair...)
5. Modern illustrations within the comic pages of Captain Marvel are... lumpy. Newer characters being added have become less and less appealing. Minor point, but still.
6. They’ve been kind of a problem since mid-Eisner, but still... they’re annoying and make older fans wheeze in distaste when they overshadowed their staple products. I do feel like they have their place and are cute and harmless when done right. They were actually more problematic prior to recently.
7. So who’s gonna keep making Epic Mickey? I know Kingdom Hearts and Marvel Vs. Capcom aren’t directly made by Disney, but still.

GoneViral

1. These films are damaging the reputation and standing of the originals, by making the unwary call them “the cartoon version”, in the same vein as how the cheapquels degraded the value of the films.
2. “Woke”, all too often, especially at Disney, comes at the cost of actual entertainment. They spend more time impaling you on their messages than actually entertaining.
3. I see. Fox may have been a little too far, but they had some things Disney needed (Pandora, several Marvel characters, a few early live action Mickey cameos, etc) and they were floundering.
4. Riddle me this; why did they take down Starcade and had no replacement? Why did they turn Paradise Pier into Pixar Pier? Why they removed DCA MV3D? Even Mission Breakout was understandable. (If only we got DanganRonpa tower of despair...)
5. Modern illustrations within the comic pages of Captain Marvel are... lumpy. Newer characters being added have become less and less appealing. Minor point, but still.
6. They’ve been kind of a problem since mid-Eisner, but still... they’re annoying and make older fans wheeze in distaste when they overshadowed their staple products. I do feel like they have their place and are cute and harmless when done right. They were actually more problematic prior to recently.
7. So who’s gonna keep making Epic Mickey? I know Kingdom Hearts and Marvel Vs. Capcom aren’t directly made by Disney, but still.

With #1, these remakes reinvigorated the brands. There's simply no argument against them from a business perspective, any personal feelings about them aside. It's not even Iger's idea, either. Disney's done the same thing with straight to video releases of the same titles back in the 1990s.

2 is one of those that's just silly. Disney's doing the right thing. More corporations should follow their lead. Period.

On #3, the benefits of Fox are myriad already and will only grow more valuable over time. As just one example, The Simpsons quietly anchored the first year of Disney+.

#4 isn't much of a riddle. Starcade failed, so they had no reason to replace it. Arcades are extremely niche, and I say that as someone who was literally JUST looking at the Insta of a nearby arcade/bar we like. Pixar Pier makes basic sense from branding AND theming perspectives.

#5 may bother you, but that's only the outer fringe of Disney to begin with. I've got friends within the comic industry -- one who has made millions from selling his earlier drawings from the 1960s and 1970s -- who complain about Marvel, but it's always a discussion of art vs. commerce. Since this isn't art appreciation, the central point stands. None of this has anything to do with Bob freakin' Iger. He's not someone who has a weekly pull list.

#6 is a money industry for Disney and has been going back half a century. I mean, Walt Disney's final words were Kurt Russell. These stupid tween comedies bring in new viewers. It'd be terrible business to throw out the revenue streams of High School Musical, Descendants, Teen Beach, and now Zombies. If you want to say they suck, that's fine. Everyone responds differently to art/entertainment. Those are bread winners, though. I mean, Disney called an entire weekend conference after Hannah Montana's movie overperformed. That speaks volumes about the importance of that demographic to the company's vision.

As for Epic Mickey, if there's demand, they'll license it out to somebody else. The Power of Two came out in 2012. That was two full console generations ago now. And again, none of that had literally anything to do with Bob Iger. The only way he'd even be aware of it is if his kids/grandkids played it.

the.dreamfinder

Wrong to:

make money
do the right things
make savvy acquisitions

Strange criticisms.

A company that bankrolls racist, homophobic politicians in FL is not “doing the right thing”. It’s window dressing.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom