On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Lilofan

Yes I’d say that’s a really good comparison. I’m more of a sheetz fan myself.
Driving thru PA I saw a sign for Sheetz off the interstate. I thought it was just another gas station option like 7-11. I passed on it. I might give a try next time for lunch and gas if passing thru next time.

Lilofan

Advertisement
Fry style is a total battle in our house...I prefer crinkle (because they get nice and crispy), hubby prefers beefy steak-fries (which to me are just baked potato slices).
I rarely eat fries but if I do at BK or MickeyDs I only want them freshly fried. I ask for a serving of fries - no salt. The crewmember has to fry a fresh batch just for me. I then ask for a few salt packets on the side once they bag up my order.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
A function of time, place, and nostalgia.
So someone who has had Five Guys, Smashburger, Whataburger, Fosters, or any other of the 3 dozen plus burger specialty places at their doorstep for the last 10+ years goes into a In n Out Burger for the first time and goes 'meh... good but not a standout' simply because they have no attachment to the aurora around it or see it as much of a unique offer because they are surrounded by 'like products' all over now.

Whataburger has been around Texas since 1950, so grouping them among the recent "also-rans" isn't valid
In and out makes a fine burger, but it’s not the best regional burger chain IMO. That crown belongs to Wisconsin’s ver own Culver’s. I slightly prefer their burgers to In and out, Culver’s crinkle fries beat them hands down and for the ace in the hole, Culver’s also serves Frozen Custard, has a much more varied menu and has fried cheese curds.

In short, my top 3 regional fast food chains are:
1. Culvers
2. In and Out
3. Shake Shack

Not a regional FAST food chain:
1. Five Guys-It takes 10-15 min for your order to come out, does not have drive thru and is very delicious but it’s a casual dining restaurant not fast food.

Well your focus is well away from any park, I'd stack Braums against anything from the Midwest.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Whataburger has been around Texas since 1950, so grouping them among the recent "also-rans" isn't valid
Fair point - but the point was not that they are 'copy cats' as much as "if you come from an area established with boutique burger joints ... something like In n Out isn't going to be as big of a delta to you... " (compared to someone who only has fast food or casual dining options around them).

The food gap differentiator for In n Out is greatly diminished if someone is used to having today's gourmet or speciality burger joints around.

Damn... now I'm hungry for Five Guys ...

Touchdown

Well your focus is well away from any park, I'd stack Braums against anything from the Midwest.
Culver’s is in Orlando FYI. I’ve been to Braums, it does not make the list. Culver’s I believe is one of the fastest growing restaurant chains. It’s now in 25 states.

_caleb

Maybe the common link is how various other popular businesses maintain their niche advantage in a crowded field of competitors. Although Disney is too much of a juggernaut to be niche at this point.
THIS is actually the thing I'm most interested in. Disney is realizing that they were a juggernaut under the old, single-audience approach to content (see our conversation in the "Strategic Restructuring Announced" thread). This new approach might see Disney approaching their audience more like the collection of niche audiences that it has become.

jkh36619

Culver’s is in Orlando FYI. I’ve been to Braums, it does not make the list. Culver’s I believe is one of the fastest growing restaurant chains. It’s now in 25 states.
We have a couple of Culvers in coastal Alabama as well. Someone told me they have a good burger. Now I'm going to have to check it out since you guys have mentioned it as well. I guess it's the same company because its sign mentions frozen custard. We don't have In and Out but we do have Five Guys and Whataburger which are pretty good.

Me personally, I find the best burgers at mom and pop restaurants in the area.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

Culver Franchising System, Inc. dba 'Culver's' , the closest is only 12 miles away from where I sit. Braums is wholly family-owned, all 280 locations and all of them are within a 300 mile radius of Tuttle, OK. where the dairy is located.

Goofyernmost

Fair point - but the point was not that they are 'copy cats' as much as "if you come from an area established with boutique burger joints ... something like In n Out isn't going to be as big of a delta to you... " (compared to someone who only has fast food or casual dining options around them).

The food gap differentiator for In n Out is greatly diminished if someone is used to having today's gourmet or speciality burger joints around.

Damn... now I'm hungry for Five Guys ...
I was as well, so just the other day I decided to go. It is utterly amazing just how important those peanuts were to the atmosphere of the place and the enjoyment of the burger. It still tasted good, but it was like Disney without Mickey Mouse. Just not the same!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Top Bottom