On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Brer Oswald

Remember when Iger was going to "tossed out in disgrace"? I'm still wondering what that was even about.
He was. Just last morning. I made him breakfast in bed and he didn’t even say thank you. Not once.

I was wearing a Mr. Toad T-Shirt. He looked at me and said “Who’s that on your shirt? Seems irrelevant.”

Enough was enough. I had to take matters into my own hands.

ALW

Disney needs high income people to come to WDW to turn a profit. The problem is a lot of them are international, and the stateside people are “educated elites” and are scared to go for fear of virus and/or losing their jobs due to post vacation quarantine. People can shout until their blue in the face that it’s safe inside the bubble, but a lot of people disagree. I’m nearly ready to pull the plug on my October trip, today I canceled my Universal Trips in October (no HHN) and December (my WDW AP is still good, no need to buy another one.)

Covid needs to be under control, and the price has to make sense. Either get entertainment up and keep prices steady or start discounting the value is just not there currently.
I agree. As out of state Passholders, I cancelled our August, December, and Disney Land and sea vacay in February trips. We’re going to Florida in March...no plans to go to Disney. When we do Disney, we don’t look for discounts, if you catch my drift. There is no way we’re shoveling out the cash, literally, for a much less than stellar time. And no...I’m not afraid to catch the flu.

JoeCamel

It needs corporate events and buyouts and weddings to return ASAP.
That alone could fund half of the operating budget.
If those things were happening we could return to normal but the companies are on hold for a year and that includes buyouts funded by them. No reason to buy the park if you cancelled the convention.
Weddings might happen with less guests and more spacing. It is the reception that is the killer. Don't think you will see a packed room dining for quite a while at the parks.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes, Oct 1 is coming.

Also, Oct 1 is not the start of the new fiscal year. October 4, 2020 is.

At least according to one financial document of Disney's.

A Forbes article says it starts Sept 27.

Anyhoo... Oct 1 isn't D-Day.

The GF Orchestra has their last day on Oct 3, which is telling.

Telling that if massive layoffs are coming to jibe with the new fiscal year, they should have already been announced.

Last edited:

TrainsOfDisney

Yes, Oct 1 is coming.

A Forbes article says it starts Sept 17.

Telling that if massive layoffs are coming to jibe with the new fiscal year, they should have already been announced.
But the GF Orchestra was in a weird space. They had been brought back to work, so they needed 2 week notice correct? I’m guessing anybody who is currently furloughed should be pretty concerned about October 4.

Maybe I’m reading too much into that. We don’t have long to find out for sure.

Lilofan

Yes, Oct 1 is coming.

I think WDW did the proper thing by telling the GF orchestra that had been performing for 32 years to guests in advance of their job loss. Other companies just bring you to HR, the impacted staff member pack up their things and leave immediately. That's going to be a tearful last show for the GF orchestra on Oct 3 at DHS.

JoeCamel

Yes, Oct 1 is coming.

The significance of Oct. 1 is that companies with PPP "loans" have to keep people employed through Sept 30 to be eligible for loan forgiveness. Nothing to keep them from slashing costs and laying off now.... Look for the surge in unemployment numbers the first week of October

jmuboy

The significance of Oct. 1 is that companies with PPP "loans" have to keep people employed through Sept 30 to be eligible for loan forgiveness. Nothing to keep them from slashing costs and laying off now.... Look for the surge in unemployment numbers the first week of October
While I DISAGREE with what WDW is doing here and yet again taking another step towards making their "resorts" just glorified hotels with a Disney name - a note on the comment above. Disney does not qualify for any of the PPP loans.

JoeCamel

While I DISAGREE with what WDW is doing here and yet again taking another step towards making their "resorts" just glorified hotels with a Disney name - a note on the comment above. Disney does not qualify for any of the PPP loans.
I agree they didn't take the money. Many others in the area did so that top unemployed rate Orlando enjoys is going to grow and continue which is a tough place to leave Disney for.

Jrb1979

I agree with what you said. IMO the worst part is how much Disney fans accept it. I see many posts on Disney fans being upset at more things taken away and yet they come back for more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom