On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

DVCakaCarlF

The people that say the food is bad at Disney all have the same thing in common - they ate at Cosmic Ray's and other equivalent generic quick service options and never tried anything better.

Ok, yes, some of the full service restaurants are also bad, but most are fine, and many are excellent.
1) I actually like Cosmic Ray’s
2) Yes, it’s dumb to eat fast food and Starbucks, in general, at WDW. You can get that on the street for 1/2.

Touchdown

Cedar Point operates 4 hotels, a historic beachside hotel (which other then dining options which are subpar compared to WDW deluxe resorts) is their deluxe hotel with beachside location and walking distance from the park, an indoor water park resort, a camping and cabin resort, and a budget hotel. There are a variety of hotels in Sandusky ranging from a Kalahari and Great Wolf lodge down to your budget hotels.

Sandusky and Cedar Point are on Lake Erie btw, Cedar Point is called that because it’s on a peninsula with the Lake on 3 sides. It’s one of the oldest amusement parks still operating (150 years old) and has a gorgeous sand beach. If you are a football fan, Knute Rockne perfected his forward pass on that beach over the summer (where he had a summer job) prior to Norte Dame’s historic win over Army that popularized the technique modernizing the sport and catapulting ND to national prominence.

Last edited:

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
NBA Experience is a money loser for Disney and it still barely operates.

How are you defining 'money loser'? Compared to what they would have gotten from paying guests? Because, there aren't enough paying guests right now to occupy those rooms.

Measuring it by the cost of operating those hotels and the WWoS complex versus what the NBA is paying?

SamusAranX

I don't know much about Cedar Point or even what state is it in until recently. The name sounded like a retirement community. What type of hotels are there near Cedar Point? Like a Motel 6 or Econolodge?
No. There are two branded Cedar Point resorts onsite, as well as some resorts offsite such as kalahari (which incidentally boasts one of the country’s largest indoor water parks)

Touchdown

Of course, Six Flags Magic Mountain would dispute that description...

SFMM as a park is no where on par with CP. Both have an amazing set of coasters and I respect the opinion of anyone who thinks SFMM’s is better then CP’s (although as an airtime fan my nod goes to CP) but SFMM has only a handful of other attractions, next to no shows, and due to this (and SF’s less then stellar ops) you have wait in huge lines or pony up for Flash Pass most of the time not to mention you need to climb up and down the eponymous mountain all day. CP has much more rides, shows, and is located next to a beach and surrounded on three sides by water. I have no problem making multiple multi day trips to CP a year, i last visited SFMM in 2015 and still have no desire to do again (especially since that would be a day in the LA area not doing DL or Knotts)

Last edited:

DisneyDebRob

Cedar Point operates 3 resorts, a historic beachside hotel (which other then dining options which are subpar compared to WDW deluxe resorts) is their deluxe hotel with beachside location and walking distance from the park, an indoor water park resort, a camping and cabin resort, and a budget hotel. There are a variety of hotels in Sandusky ranging from a Kalahari and Great Wolf lodge down to your budget hotels.

Sandusky and Cedar Point are on Lake Erie btw, Cedar Point is called that because it’s on a peninsula with the Lake on 3 sides. It’s one of the oldest amusement parks still operating (150 years old) and has a gorgeous sand beach. If you are a football fan, Knute Rockne perfected his forward pass on that beach over the summer (where he had a summer job) prior to Norte Dame’s historic win over Army that popularized the technique modernizing the sport and catapulting ND to national prominence.
I was in and calling for reservations with your description until the ND thing came up. I’m out. Just one of those schools that I didn’t like growing up. We all had one or two and ND was mine. 😃

DisneyOutsider

If the WDW Resort Property is “just” making a profit with sports teams renting out entire resorts and using wide world of sports that should tell us how much the parks are losing.

Unless wdwmagic meant the parks and resorts are just making a profit on their own?
It’s one heck of an NBA contract propping up the resort.
That’s why both sides were so adamant about that bubble for the start.

Disney pays a multi billion dollar contract from one department...and “collects” the costs/fees and throws that in P&R.

Completed legal number skewing. Smart.

But do we really know the financials involved in the NBA operation?

TWDC pays NBA billions of dollars for broadcast rights .. there's mountains of dollars exchanging hands with or without the bubble. I wouldn't be surprised if the money flowing from NBA's side is using a less conventional vehicle than we're all assuming.

Touchdown

I was in and calling for reservations with your description until the ND thing came up. I’m out. Just one of those schools that I didn’t like growing up. We all had one or two and ND was mine. 😃

Well even if you don’t like ND, if you like the modern game, that beach is still important. The forward pass is by far the most transformative innovation football has ever seen.

WDW Pro

On how much the NBA is subsidizing WDW ops, the bill Disney is presenting is about $1.5 million a day. That's...... not a lot of money.

It could be argued that Bob Iger is using company resources to broker money losing deals with the NBA. The bet is Disney will make the losses back in TV ad revenue. The odds on that much cash coming in..... not good. Won't be the first time Disney lost a bunch of money on the NBA in Orlando.

For certain: Bob Iger's "friendship" with Adam Silver will continue to be cultivated.

Iger and Silver are of the same political mindset. As for losing money on the NBA, they're doing whatever it takes to get ESPN content.

Did anyone really think China was going to respect the whole"one country, two systems" agreement they have/had with the UK?

Probably not, we just didn't expect the whole genocide, pandemic, now get Taiwan combo.

Lilofan

How are you defining 'money loser'? Compared to what they would have gotten from paying guests? Because, there aren't enough paying guests right now to occupy those rooms.

Measuring it by the cost of operating those hotels and the WWoS complex versus what the NBA is paying?
I'm talking about the unpopular attraction at Disney Springs. When cast members had free admission until Dec 31 of last year, that is desperate.

SamusAranX

SFMM as a park is no where on par with CP. Both have an amazing set of coasters and I respect the opinion of anyone who thinks SFMM’s is better then CP’s (although as an airtime fan my nod goes to CP) but SFMM has only a handful of other attractions, next to no shows, and due to this (and SF’s less then stellar ops) you have wait in huge lines or pony up for Flash Pass most of the time not to mention you need to climb up and down the eponymous mountain all day. CP has much more rides, shows, and is located next to a beach and surrounded on three sides by water. I have no problem making multiple multi day trips to CP, SFMM I did last in 2015 and still have no desire to do again (especially since that would be a day in the LA area not doing DL or Knotts)

couldn’t have said it better myself

I just love CP and you described why. A summer evening there is just....wonderful. So many good memories

DisneyDebRob

You can't go now because somebody associated with the school was there over a hundred years ago?
It was a joke! Of course I will go at some point. Was a good excuse to get my opinion out there on ND. I actually liked Knute. I’m almost old enough to have seen him. Kidding again. I guess I just never like when religion gets mixed with anything . Politics or sports. There was just to much of that mixed when people talked about ND for my liking that’s all.

Lilofan

It was a joke! Of course I will go at some point. Was a good excuse to get my opinion out there on ND. I actually liked Knute. I’m almost old enough to have seen him. Kidding again. I guess I just never like when religion gets mixed with anything . Politics or sports. There was just to much of that mixed when people talked about ND for my liking that’s all.
Notre Dame is like the New England Patriots, either love em or hate em. I remember the 1987 football game between Notre Dame and the University of Miami in South Bend. A smart college kid at ND made some money printing shirts " Catholics vs. Convicts ".

DisneyDebRob

Notre Dame is like the New England Patriots, either love em or hate em. I remember the 1987 football game between Notre Dame and the University of Miami in South Bend. A smart college kid at ND made some money printing shirts " Catholics vs. Convicts ".
Thanks. You said what I was trying to say over a few posts in the last sentence of your post. I feel my temperature rising again so back to topic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom