On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Heppenheimer

Disney is all about get you in and out as fast as possible, the longer you sit there the less $$$ they are making. Tipping should be a personal thing not automatically added to the bill. I've had horrible service and have left a penny and great service I've tipped 30% of the bill. my 2 cents
The "get 'em in and out" as fast as possible definitely is a US (and Canadian) thing, but you are correct in that Disney is one of the worst offenders in trying to rotate people in and out as fast as possible. However, I don't mind it as much at Disney, because most of the time, the restaurants can be packed at meal times and there's plenty of other stuff to do to occupy my time.

Castmbr

Disney is all about get you in and out as fast as possible, the longer you sit there the less $$$ they are making. Tipping should be a personal thing not automatically added to the bill. I've had horrible service and have left a penny and great service I've tipped 30% of the bill. my 2 cents

Agreed. My experience with European table service has been horrible because they know they are getting the same amount if they are good servers vs crappy servers. Most were inattentive and flagging down servers while they roll their eyes at you in not an enjoyable experience. I tip 20% most of the time but mediocre to bad service will get at least 15% but I will probably not return.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

There are two trains of thought - as a visitor on US soil do you follow US custom, or do you do what you think what’s right and not make up for someone else’s wage problem. Unless of course the service deserves it.

But please don’t penalise me for having a largerr party and automatically increasing my bill even with shoddy service.

Or is there a middle ground?

Or is this off topic?
If a server receives $0 in tips their employer is legally required to pay at least minimum wage. The lower rate only applies if tips can make up the difference. There have been a number of places that have tried to do away with the tipping model and the result is generally that the wait staff don’t like it because they were earning more on tips than the service charge.

I heard from my third cousin twice removed’s brother in-law’s girlfriend’s aunt that Bob Iger is a lousy tipper.

Parker in NYC

I'd rather leave nothing than leave a penny. Sends the message well enough without the drama.

Lilofan

If a server receives $0 in tips their employer is legally required to pay at least minimum wage. The lower rate only applies if tips can make up the difference. There have been a number of places that have tried to do away with the tipping model and the result is generally that the wait staff don’t like it because they were earning more on tips than the service charge.

I heard from my third cousin twice removed’s brother in-law’s girlfriend’s aunt that Bob Iger is a lousy tipper.
Him being a CEO his vacation or visit at Disney is probably all comped. He should at least take care of his waiters.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There are two trains of thought - as a visitor on US soil do you follow US custom, or do you do what you think what’s right and not make up for someone else’s wage problem. Unless of course the service deserves it.

But please don’t penalise me for having a largerr party and automatically increasing my bill even with shoddy service.

Or is this off topic?
Gratuities are unfortunately required to maintain the social fabric of America...

Tipped positions unfortunately put a large portion of our work force in a constant vulnerable position. It sucks.

You know where tips are really not reflective of service and market?
...Take a guess

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
There in lies the difference and the problem. Tips shouldn’t make up the difference. They should be an award on top of the wage for good service.

The old model of 'paid less than minimum wage' is not that common anymore (and rarely is the problem). The issue is people expect to be paid X... but they only get X by having tips plus their wages.

You can argue if the wages should be X to start with... but then you're back to the fundamental issue of if the pay should be guaranteed or is it a performance based comp model..

celluloid

To clarify, is that layoffs? I'm sure more than 15% of the company isn't "working" right now by way of furloughs
Had that thought too. I imagine it is more for the furlough positions that would not ecominf back in phases that could be soon a d .ore of cusbt jobs and redundant clarical positions or front of the line with less yeara, but that is an educated guess. Again, not just the parks and resorts. The company as a whole. My source said globally.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To clarify, is that layoffs? I'm sure more than 15% of the company isn't "working" right now by way of furloughs
Had that thought too. I imagine it is more for the furlough positions that would not ecominf back in phases that could be soon a d .ore of cusbt jobs and redundant clarical positions or front of the line with less yeara, but that is an educated guess. Again, not just the parks and resorts. The company as a whole. My source said globally.
The “furloughs” are going to be more “permanent-ee” soon enough.

There’s a lot of romanticism about “bounceback”...it’s just not gonna be that, however.

Last edited:

Lilofan

That's realistic. All divisions may be feeling the pain of restructuring. The ones who survive the cuts will probably have more responsibilities added to their plate.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Those of you questioning adding tips for large parties and our tips in America...have any of you been a waiter or waitress? I am not a waiter/waitress, but most work very hard and are often short changed when people don't tip.
If the service is good then they deserve a tip. If it’s not then it’s the fault of the employer for not paying the going rate in the first place.

brianstl

Or is this off topic?
If Europeans don't want to tip, they should pay 20% more for their food and drink in the restaurant. The expectation of tipping reduces your meal and drink costs by at least that much.

If you really care about people like servers and bartenders financially, you don't want to get rid of tipping. Good servers and others in similar positions make far more money with tipping than they would ever make with increased hourly wages. I made really good money for someone in their 20's when I was bartending in the 2000's.

The top quality people and even the level below that in that industry will all end bailing out of that industry if tipping is done away with. It isn't worth it for the hourly wages that are proposed to replace it. You will end up with the same kind of service you get at fast food places.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
If Europeans don't want to tip, they should pay 20% more for their food and drink in the restaurant..
Which in effect is what the tip is. So increase the price by 20% and receive a tip on top if service warrants it.

A tip is a tip. Not a subsidy.

The Cambridge English dictionary of a tip:

“to give someone who has provided you with a service an extra amount of money to thankthem”

Last edited:

brianstl

Which in effect is what the tip is. So increase the price by 20% and receive a tip on top if service warrants it.

A tip is a tip. Not a subsidy.
A current tip actually isn't a subsidy. It encourages people that otherwise wouldn't get into or stay in the profession to do so. Because providing excellent service will result in greater monetary reward than what a higher established hourly wage would. The higher hourly wage is actually the subsidy because it subsidizes poor service. Their is no reward for quality service because you are going to get paid the same as the person busting their but to deliver quality service.

Look, if you don't want to reward bad service while still not denying a server some sort of decent hourly wage just tip 10% to 15%. I always tip at least 15% no matter how bad the service because I worked in the industry and know even the best servers can have a bad hour or two. But I am a really generous tipper when I get good service and I worked in the industry at one point. It shouldn't be expected for others to tip like I do.

If you get bad service on a meal where a tip percentage higher than what you think is deserved is automatically added to your bill, ask to speak to manager before you pay your bill. Most places will adjust the charge to what you believe is appropriate for the service.

The sad fact is if you go to the higher hourly wage to replace tipping, tipping is going to basically disappear for quality service. In almost every restaurant where prices have been raised to support a higher hourly wage, servers have been banned by the employer from accepting any tip. If a customer still leaves a tip on the table the money must go to a charity if the customer refuses the return of the money. So good servers have had to take a huge pay cut and have been leaving the business in areas where local ordinances have required that servers be paid a full minimum wage amount.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom