On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It’s funny. I’ve had about the same comments over the years for and against text vs voiceover. But I was thinking today about voiceovers again.

Maybe I need to have a title page of a selfie, superimposed over a picture perfect photo of the ride with a massive coloured outline around me, and huge obnoxious and variously coloured text titles all around me like tabloid headlines. That’ll do it right?
I think the goal of yours is very different to the goal of others.

You are trying to make the most detailed and accurate video. The vast majority of the others are just looking for a payday. The two different goals result in different presentation.

Text for me :)

Parker in NYC

This is exactly why they shouldn't have done it in the first place. You anger your executives right when you need them to be the most creative and focused to navigate this situation, your lower employees don't appreciate it as they say "big deal, they make enough already", and the outside world still criticizes you. I hope Disney ups their annual bonuses so all of the execs recoup what they lost in net pay from this charade.

Willful ignorance for $1000.

Parker in NYC

I'll take that as you have no actual rebuttal. These types of comments are expected and further just prove my point. Had a couple of my consulting clients talk about doing this nonsense of having executives take "show" pay cuts - every time I hear them talk about it, I forward comments from this and other boards. There's your "optics" benefit.

Pay the execs, keep them focused, and keep them motivated/financially incented to do the tough cost cutting that is coming and there will be job losses by the thousands at Disney. Having a VP take a 20% cut for 90 days does nothing for the bottom line, executive morale, or helps those employees who will be eventually laid off.

Consulting clients? Maybe you should work directly with Disney and make some real waves instead of poo-pooing others?

el_super

This is not good news.

It's not really bad news either. When Disney furloughed their CMs they had to tell the state that the furlough was not expected to last more than six months, and this is just confirmation of what is evident: that they were wrong and the furloughs are lasting longer. Overall though, as business picks up they will still want to keep those people interested in returning, rather than just cut them loose now. They will still need more people in the immediate future.

Unbanshee

It's not really bad news either.

I think it's bad news. Looks at the HMSHost situation at MCO. 750+ employees impacted. Those who haven't been recalled by mid-October will be converted into a layoff. It's the travel industry/restaurant. While Disney is a little more immune, it can't be by much and they will have to draw a line in the sand at some point.

Also, it's impossible for CMs to survive on state unemployment at this point. They might have to quit before they can be recalled.

JoeCamel

I think it's bad news. Looks at the HMSHost situation at MCO. 750+ employees impacted. Those who haven't been recalled by mid-October will be converted into a layoff. It's the travel industry/restaurant. While Disney is a little more immune, it can't be by much and they will have to draw a line in the sand at some point.

Also, it's impossible for CMs to survive on state unemployment at this point. They might have to quit before they can be recalled.
Same here in Tampa and several other locations HMSHost services. Lots of jobs

Disorbust

If you look at the WARN site every airport in Florida, large and small, is having large layoffs. Florida unemployment runs out for CM s that were furloughed I believe in October (12+6 weeks the lowest in the country). The FLorida evictions moratorium runs out August 31st. DeSantis will not add the "$300" federal employment from Trumps executive order because he isn't sure its legal and if Florida is on the hook for itthe state will be bankrupted.

I can not wrap my head around how many are going to be homeless and food insecure.

So tell me again how if the execs don't get their 20% back they will lose talent? Where the hell are they going to go? How much talent do you need after such reductions.

Last edited:

TheMagus

You forget, but once they start calling people back to work, a large percentage will not return due to concerns of “contracting” Covid.

Our local school district had over 10% of staff refuse to come to work, upon being called to return.

This is not something forgotten- Disney already started calling people back in mid-June, and the point is really just tangently related to the question. The real question is whether the layoff will only apply to those still furloughed, or if they will lay off people called back, and replace them with people on furlough.

Those called back were called back based on the location where they were statused, or by tenure with the company when there was space and cause to do so. It is possible that they could lay off poor performers who were only called back because they were lucky to be working in an area re-opened, and replace them with a better-but-still-furloughed performer from another area still closed.

It is also possible they could focus on older, higher-seniority Cast in order to replace higher paychecks with lower ones, and to reduce forward pension obligations. Older leaders are still in the pension plan, which does not exist for newer leaders.

I'm sure there are still angles I am missing, but the poster who pointed out the Florida WARN system definitely got us closer to the mark.

Lilofan

You folks have to think of this like manufacturing. When your product isn't selling you have to lay off workers who make the product. The executives can't be laid off because they have to run things until business gets better. Sometimes higher level people do get laid off if a down turn is huge but not usually. Theme parks are just a factory, if there are no customers, you can't pay for a bunch of front line people to do nothing.

As far as upper management realize these guys spend to their salary level. They have more expensive mortgages, car loans along with retirement savings. If they have kids maybe private schools, college savings. $200-300K really isn't that much money for people with children. These people aren't rolling in cash, it all goes somewhere. You can say that's not fair, well go get their position. You will make more money. Oh.......you're totally unqualified for their jobs? Well that's a problem.

Over all Florida is going to be in serious trouble by spring. State governments and local governments will be broke. Orlando is going to have a serious problem with people who are dead broke. They either move somewhere else or more likely become violent and prone to stealing stuff. I would expect the crime rate in FL going up a lot by next spring. Etc. etc. At the moment this seems endless with the only entity really able to do something is the federal government but they seem to be doing their usual do nothing and fight about everything. I won't blame one party or another none of them are doing what they should do. Extra $600 a month was the right thing to do for the time, that should have kept going but congress is delaying that until it does no good. My favorite comment was "All this will be retroactive when get the details worked out." That shows a real lack of any knowledge of the finances of lower paid workers who pretty much live week to week with no large credit line of any kind. Retroactive will to late for many I fear.
I disagree. Execs get laid off in companies. When execs get laid off some do get a package and their responsibilities are combined with another exec that did not get laid off. When the going is good, companies created and expand the amount of execs, when the going gets tough, then some execs fall victim and are laid off. During the 2009 recession layoffs in our country, the local exotic car dealers started getting an abundance of trade ins of high end vehicles in my area due to high income earners ( some execs ) getting laid off and needing to sell back their toys.

Stevie Amsterdam

I disagree. Execs get laid off in companies. When execs get laid off some do get a package and their responsibilities are combined with another exec that did not get laid off. When the going is good, companies created and expand the amount of execs, when the going gets tough, then some execs fall victim and are laid off. During the 2009 recession layoffs in our country, the local exotic car dealers started getting an abundance of trade ins of high end vehicles in my area due to high income earners ( some execs ) getting laid off and needing to sell back their toys.
While this may be true in some companies, it is certainly not the standard. As @Corey P mentioned, the sword usually falls on the lower level jobs that actually make the product. If there are no customers buying the product, there is no need for workers to make them. When the going is good, companies often need to expand their workforce with new workers, not executives. And vice versa, the workers are the first to be let go when times are bad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom