On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

TheMagus

Layoffs announcements will start mid September and begin October 1st. Chapek will get the blame but the warm and fuzzies over D’Amari might start to fade.
I had expected some replies to this, as it is right on target for the thread, instead of the multiple off topic tangents. Some coworkers and I were debating whether Disney would aim to make the move in the last quarter of this FY or wait until the first quarter of next FY.

We will find out soon enough, I suppose!

It will be curious to see if it is only people still on furlough, or if some of the people called back get included in it, and whether it will be a voluntary package or an involuntary effort.

DVCakaCarlF

I had expected some replies to this, as it is right on target for the thread, instead of the multiple off topic tangents. Some coworkers and I were debating whether Disney would aim to make the move in the last quarter of this FY or wait until the first quarter of next FY.

We will find out soon enough, I suppose!

It will be curious to see if it is only people still on furlough, or if some of the people called back get included in it, and whether it will be a voluntary package or an involuntary effort.
You forget, but once they start calling people back to work, a large percentage will not return due to concerns of “contracting” Covid.

Our local school district had over 10% of staff refuse to come to work, upon being called to return.

DisneyDebRob

It’s funny. I’ve had about the same comments over the years for and against text vs voiceover. But I was thinking today about voiceovers again.

Maybe I need to have a title page of a selfie, superimposed over a picture perfect photo of the ride with a massive coloured outline around me, and huge obnoxious and variously coloured text titles all around me like tabloid headlines. That’ll do it right?
There’s a time and place for voice over narration. I don’t think your videos, especially going deep into a ride attraction from the past needs it. In fact, text seems so much better. Voice works with newer attractions, text seems to fit better with older video. My opinion of course.. so keep it the same, or maybe a sprinkling in of voice with something new. 🙂

techgeek

It’s funny. I’ve had about the same comments over the years for and against text vs voiceover. But I was thinking today about voiceovers again.

Maybe I need to have a title page of a selfie, superimposed over a picture perfect photo of the ride with a massive coloured outline around me, and huge obnoxious and variously coloured text titles all around me like tabloid headlines. That’ll do it right?

Place me firmly in the 'no voiceover' camp... I love being able to scroll through and find a bit of information about an attraction without having to skip around and listen to 10 seconds here and there trying to find it.

Plus, after all these years, we all have created your 'voice' in our heads. I don't know that reality can compete!

nickys

Premium Member
Place me firmly in the 'no voiceover' camp... I love being able to scroll through and find a bit of information about an attraction without having to skip around and listen to 10 seconds here and there trying to find it.

Plus, after all these years, we all have created your 'voice' in our heads. I don't know that reality can compete!
You can hear him in a few podcasts etc if you want to hear what he sounds like. 😉

Lilofan

Layoffs even affect big time execs. Former WDW exec George Augel who was Visit Orlando CEO for the last several years "resigned". He was being paid $600K a year.

Haymarket2008

Subtitles/text ALL the way.

RFM57

We all have our own learning styles and entertainment preferences (witness discussions of CoP, CBJ, Tiki room, etc.) but for me personally, I would really prefer narration over captioning. Having to read the text takes away from being able to WATCH the video, and is simply too distracting for me. It is the main reason I have not viewed more of Martin's very fine videos. But, in the end, it is his call. Recording narration would greatly increase editing time.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
We all have our own learning styles and entertainment preferences (witness discussions of CoP, CBJ, Tiki room, etc.) but for me personally, I would really prefer narration over captioning. Having to read the text takes away from being able to WATCH the video, and is simply too distracting for me. It is the main reason I have not viewed more of Martin's very fine videos. But, in the end, it is his call. Recording narration would greatly increase editing time.
I don’t know... the amount of time I spend spell checking...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom