On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

celluloid

Nice. The truth is that we are going to catch corona - sooner or later. It is not going away, as much as the quarantiners would like to think so. As long as there are hospital beds to support those who need them, that's about all we can do. Someone who is hoping for the vaccine to save the day for them may find that that works out but until then needs to keep a N95 mask on them routinely

To add to that. We have to be smart about school systems and how we do things to avoid another lock down level spike. I agree with you, just adding that in there. I do not think there is science to support you only get severe symptoms from the virus once.

Sorcerer Mickey

Nice. The truth is that we are going to catch corona - sooner or later. It is not going away, as much as the quarantiners would like to think so. As long as there are hospital beds to support those who need them, that's about all we can do. Someone who is hoping for the vaccine to save the day for them may find that that works out but until then needs to keep a N95 mask on them routinely

We don't know what the lasting effects of COVID-19 are. Some reports document reduced heart function, similar to that of a heart attack victim, after COVID has passed, symptoms or not. Do not give in to the defeatist attitude. Health insurance is still trash in the States, and you don't know what will stay with you after COVID is gone.

Parker in NYC

Nice. The truth is that we are going to catch corona - sooner or later. It is not going away, as much as the quarantiners would like to think so. As long as there are hospital beds to support those who need them, that's about all we can do. Someone who is hoping for the vaccine to save the day for them may find that that works out but until then needs to keep a N95 mask on them routinely.

And spread it to everyone else. N95 valves expel unfiltered carbon dioxide. It may protect the wearer but god save everyone around you.

HollyAD

You are correct...it isn't going anywhere. We just need to work around it at this point. I work COVID and this is still an unpopular opinion but I'm glad you said it.

Brer Panther

You take a look at how Harry Cohn, Louis B. Mayer, and the Warners ran their movie studios, and then you'll see greed and abuse and exploitation. Walt WAS a saint compared to the other studio heads of his day. He drove his kids to Sunday school, he defended an animator who was outed as being gay (during a time when that was a career-killer, at the very least), he proclaimed that "poor kids will never have to pay to go to Disneyland"...wow, what a stinker.

Take it from someone who isn't inclined to put people on pedestals...Walt Disney really was a good guy. He was NOT a racist, he was NOT an anti-Semite, he was NOT a sexist/misogynist...he was none of the things you hear from people who NEED to believe all the slanderous negative rot because they see wholesome family values as a threat (how pitiful is that?). He's the glue, for me. He's the reason I still call myself a Disney fan despite the TRUE greed of the people running the company he suffered two nervous breakdowns building. And, BTW, he NEVER got a fraction of the money that toads like Iger pull down.

Walt was flawed. Who isn't? But his instincts and inclinations were laudable, and he tended to follow his instincts, to his credit. And to our benefit.
Thank you so much. Seriously, nobody's allowed to have flaws anymore - you have ONE flaw but are otherwise a pretty nice dude, you're an awful person. I can't help but feel the Walt slandering might be due to Seth MacFarlane and the anti-Disney jokes that he allows the writers of Family Guy to make.

Also, I love how you called Iger a toad.

DisneyJoe

I can definitely see them putting more shows on Disney+. But they didn't charge extra for Hamilton, and that's one of the biggest Broadway shows of all time. Seems like that would have been the place to float an extra payment for a stage show.

Of course, charging for the newest Pixar movie would have made more sense than charging for Mulan, so those were likely just attempts to get more subscribers to boost numbers while the parks were shut down.
IMO, the reason that they didn't charge for Hamilton was it was used as a "carrot" to get new subscribers for Disney+; I lost count of how many people I had to tell that they needed to get a Disney+ subscription just to see Hamilton - or find a friend or relative that already had it.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Uncle Walt wasn’t a completely fictitious entity. It was a completely filtered version of himself, but still a side to him that was very real. People like to give him too much credit as an “actor”.
You have a certain nostalgic curiosity about Mr. Walt Disney...I like that but I think your opinion will change over time.

But I appreciate anyone that likes to learn through research and analysis. It’s nice to see some brains at work.
Maybe. Maybe not. But WDP still ended up paying him $60 million dollars for the "Uncle Walt" IP.
Yeah...but most of the real money ended up with his wife and kids.

Last edited:

michmousefan

Poor Bob comes across on camera like a wet dishrag. He just can't sell the product. Now let's hope that a brave someone in TWDC confronts Bob and tells him that his on camera personality sucks. Given the proper acting lessons and guidance, they can make him look good or even great!

They did it for Walt and I'm sure they can do it for Bob.
Watching Chapek make those presentations at D23 was just brutal. He came across as someone who was reading the copy on the prompters for the first (perhaps second) time, and either had no rehearsal, or worse — ignored the feedback from his minions if there was a rehearsal. He needs to give his ego a rest and get some serious presentation coaching and training. The CEO of the Disney corporation should at least aim to measure up to the standards of the company's products.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
My question is, they can still justify re-skinning Splash Mountain (from a financial standpoint)?

Right now? No. It would be fiscally irresponsible to take on a new project without knowing how long the current situation is.

But once the current situation ends, there is no financial reason not to go ahead with a project they announced. It just means other projects that haven't been announced yet drop back in the queue.

So, before there's a replacement for SGE, Primeval Whirl, JII, the DHS 'black box', etc... Then the SM revamp will take place.

rreading

I would argue, though, that—at least the way it presented itself—that it was mainly in the name of innovation. Sure, I’m sure one wants to be wealthy. But there were MANY other things he could have done that weren’t so risky. He was a storyteller first and business man second. There were multiple times that he lost it all or gambled it all in the name of pushing the envelope in animation or his parks. He went bankrupt trying something new early on in Kansas City and he took money against his life insurance to fund the parks when banks said no to loans. He was personally sacrificing his finances For something he believed in, and sometimes, it just didn’t work. Plus, it was Roy that was the money guy; Walt just did his thing and Roy had to cover logistics. Not saying he wasn’t involved at all (of course not) but Walt was a visionary that wanted that creative execution, even if it meant figuring out a lot of new ways to do things. In my opinion of reading biographies and watching documentaries at least.

With Iger at least, it seems that it is less creative and more “easy and quick”. Rather than putting in the effort to launch into brands similar to Star Wars, why not just throw some money at it to acquire it? Same with marvel, etc.
and for rides, why come up with unique and in-park-only IP when you can just use stories and characters already used and invested in? Just slap those characters on an existing ride. It saves money while bringing something new.

So in summary, under Iger it seemed more like a blatant and easier money grab with everything because of so many corners so obviously cut on the way to $$$, at the sacrifice of quality and storytelling. I don’t feel that was the case with Walt; if he had to play it safe and cut corners, we wouldn’t have this company. No Mickey, no Snow White, no theme parks. While there were some questionable moments where he clearly was wearing the same CEO pants as Iger, I truly feel He just was lucky that the decisions and innovation led to the $$$.

Clearly we love what Disney has been and (at least for me) continues to be. The history of Disney productions seem to have involved few new content. Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio et al were all groundbreaking productions of tried-and-true stories. Winnie the Pooh is a direct-to-animation port of the content drawn in the books with some excellent music and narration. Generally not until the 90s with Lion King did they really get something truly original and great produced (maybe Aristocats and Lady and the Tramp were more novel?)

But as much as Iger has been labeled as "lazy" for acquiring SW and Marvel, it's not like producing SW content has been easy. If anything, their movies which were generally well regarded as quality movies by the critics (TFA and TLJ) were met with disdain by the SW fanbase. Solo was well done with good critic reviews but lost money for the company. Marvel has had more true canon to work with and has been more successful with their storylines but I would not give Iger credit for this either, fwiw

My point would be that Iger made some slam-dunk acquisitions that anyone in the industry would have made could they have. It's added to an amazing portfolio of product that TWDC has created and acquired along the way. I would not call this "lazy" in any respect.

In retrospect, I'll be astounded if we feel like Iger did anything but an amazing job for TWDC. I'm hoping that Chapek continues to keep the ship on the right course through this difficult time

Mac Tonight

Clearly we love what Disney has been and (at least for me) continues to be. The history of Disney productions seem to have involved few new content. Snow White, Sleeping Beauty, Pinocchio et al were all groundbreaking productions of tried-and-true stories. Winnie the Pooh is a direct-to-animation port of the content drawn in the books with some excellent music and narration. Generally not until the 90s with Lion King did they really get something truly original and great produced (maybe Aristocats and Lady and the Tramp were more novel?)

But as much as Iger has been labeled as "lazy" for acquiring SW and Marvel, it's not like producing SW content has been easy. If anything, their movies which were generally well regarded as quality movies by the critics (TFA and TLJ) were met with disdain by the SW fanbase. Solo was well done with good critic reviews but lost money for the company. Marvel has had more true canon to work with and has been more successful with their storylines but I would not give Iger credit for this either, fwiw

My point would be that Iger made some slam-dunk acquisitions that anyone in the industry would have made could they have. It's added to an amazing portfolio of product that TWDC has created and acquired along the way. I would not call this "lazy" in any respect.

In retrospect, I'll be astounded if we feel like Iger did anything but an amazing job for TWDC. I'm hoping that Chapek continues to keep the ship on the right course through this difficult time
IMO, Iger has run the company like the rich divorced Dad, trying to appease his kids by buying them all the new expensive toys their Mother didn't think they needed. And when the parents get in a fight about it, all the Dad can say is, "What? At least the kid is happy!"

From a purely business standpoint, Iger has been no slouch, and turned a teetering company into one of the biggest global media conglomerations that has ever existed. But for me and my money, none of those words describe the "Disney" I know and love.

rreading

IMO, Iger has run the company like the rich divorced Dad, trying to appease his kids by buying them all the new expensive toys their Mother didn't think they needed. And when the parents get in a fight about it, all the Dad can say is, "What? At least the kid is happy!"

From a purely business standpoint, Iger has been no slouch, and turned a teetering company into one of the biggest global media conglomerations that has ever existed. But for me and my money, none of those words describe the "Disney" I know and love.

We all have our opinions. That's what a message board is for ;)

lazyboy97o

The Walt Disney Company was already a global conglomerate in 2005.

rreading

I think it's safe to label that the new Disney is more 'flexible' in their brand identity association than they were in the past. While Disney was a conglomerate, they would still be very selective in what fit the corporate image. Now.... not so much.

Honestly, that started way back with Touchstone who created Pretty Woman. More recently, Pixar expanded the scope of the animation produced by the company

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom