On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

flynnibus

Premium Member
??? Not meaning to be sarcastic but "and"??
So real life scenario. Here in Philly we had an eviction moratorium that expires in two weeks. Average rent here is 1700 bucks. My son's just got a new apartment needed 1st, last and 1 month security deposit. Let's see 1700 times 3 is what 5K and you really are going to throw the asinine argument that selling a used apple watch will solve the problem 😂😬😁. OMG. You are clueless

Sorry to hear about your son's covid predicament - but the short term crunch over unemployment was not what the discussion was about.

Why is this so challenging for people to get? If you can't afford to save money - STOP SPENDING UNNECESSARY MONEY - then eventually you will have more money. Need money? SELL @$% YOU DON'T NEED.

This isn't rocket science. Prioritize.

$200 won't pay his rent... but an apple watch isn't going to feed, house, or pay any bills on its own either.

tirian

This thread is interesting because it really sheds light on a decision I made over 25 years ago. Like most here, I grew up in awe of Disney World. Our family trips every few years from the 70s through to the early 90s are some of my happiest memories growing up. The last trip we took together as a family was after my freshman year at university. I enjoyed this trip just as much as the others, but being 19, lets just say I was now noticing some of the prettier young female cast members much more than on prior visits. After striking up a conversation with a monorail attendant whose university was in the same state as mine, I learned about the Disney college program. I thought that would be a really fun way to spend the summer with a huge cohort around my same age and make some money for the following school year.

My first inkling that maybe this wouldn't be a great choice was that my university did not participate in the program. When I received the application in the mail, I then realized that I would need to miss a significant amount of school, the salary was really low, and I would lose a significant portion of my salary on lodging, since my home state was Pennsylvania. There was a good chance that I might barely break even. All for a summer job that provided no relevant experience for my desired career. So, the Disney dream died very quickly and definitively for me that day. The application went into the garbage, I didn't miss any school, and I took a decent-paying summer job close to home. 25 years later and I'm doing very well in my desired profession.

I kind of wonder... is that how it starts for most cast members? If I had filled out that application, and attended the Disney seminar at a nearby university, would I have been one of those sitting in a shared Orlando apartment, dreading a phone call from HR that my services were no longer necessary?
Sadly, that’s exactly how it goes for many CMs. Most stay amazing, some get cocky and obnoxious, and others grow bitter. But all are in danger because at the end of the day, this is the hospitality industry and pays as such, even though Disney can afford to pay everyone better than they do. They wouldn’t have to jack up prices to cover it, either. Working in a theme park is not a professional career, but the company could easily pay a living wage before Covid. And they didn’t. Now it may be too late for several years.

I say the same thing to everyone who asks me about the CP for their kids: “They should do it to broaden their horizons, but they must return to college after.”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sadly, that’s exactly how it goes for many CMs. Most stay amazing, some get cocky and obnoxious, and others grow bitter. But all are in danger because at the end of the day, this is the hospitality industry and pays as such, even though Disney can afford to pay everyone better than they do. They wouldn’t have to jack up prices to cover it, either. Working in a theme park is not a professional career, but the company could easily pay a living wage before Covid. And they didn’t. Now it may be too late for several years.

I say the same thing to everyone who asks me about the CP for their kids: “They should do it to broaden their horizons, but they must return to college after.”

...boy...you ain’t kidding

(That’s all I got)

TrainsOfDisney

Plot twist.

I rent a house for less than what a mortgage + HOA + insurance + property taxes costs in this neighborhood, and I've got a fully grown fruit-bearing avocado tree in the backyard.... and a telescoping fruit basket in my shed. Also got a mango tree, but those aren't really for toast. Those are for snacks and delicious smoothies.

This made me laugh out loud.... by far the best post since the thread derailment!
🥑

Lilofan

??? Not meaning to be sarcastic but "and"??
So real life scenario. Here in Philly we had an eviction moratorium that expires in two weeks.
Bunch of folks are in deep you know what because they lost their jobs. Average rent here is 1700 bucks. My son's just got a new apartment needed 1st, last and 1 month security deposit. Let's see 1700 times 3 is what 5K and you really are going to throw the asinine argument that selling a used apple watch will solve the problem 😂😬😁. OMG. You are clueless
Like its so easy to earn $200 per day as a waiter just like that..😒

Lilofan

Hospitality companies don't pay more sadly because being a transient state, individuals and families move to Florida every week so there are always people looking for work.

UNCgolf

“Blah blah blah, bootstraps, BOOTSTRAPS!!! It applied to my generation and my experience, therefore it applies to millennials too!!”

-out of touch boomers with insufferable outdated rhetoric

My favorite is when people say "I worked and paid my own way through college; if people would just do that they wouldn't have all this student loan debt!!" conveniently ignoring the fact that college generally costs 15-20x as much (and sometimes even more) as it did then.

Lilofan

This thread is interesting because it really sheds light on a decision I made over 25 years ago. Like most here, I grew up in awe of Disney World. Our family trips every few years from the 70s through to the early 90s are some of my happiest memories growing up. The last trip we took together as a family was after my freshman year at university. I enjoyed this trip just as much as the others, but being 19, lets just say I was now noticing some of the prettier young female cast members much more than on prior visits. After striking up a conversation with a monorail attendant whose university was in the same state as mine, I learned about the Disney college program. I thought that would be a really fun way to spend the summer with a huge cohort around my same age and make some money for the following school year.

My first inkling that maybe this wouldn't be a great choice was that my university did not participate in the program. When I received the application in the mail, I then realized that I would need to miss a significant amount of school, the salary was really low, and I would lose a significant portion of my salary on lodging, since my home state was Pennsylvania. There was a good chance that I might barely break even. All for a summer job that provided no relevant experience for my desired career. So, the Disney dream died very quickly and definitively for me that day. The application went into the garbage, I didn't miss any school, and I took a decent-paying summer job close to home. 25 years later and I'm doing very well in my desired profession.

I kind of wonder... is that how it starts for most cast members? If I had filled out that application, and attended the Disney seminar at a nearby university, would I have been one of those sitting in a shared Orlando apartment, dreading a phone call from HR that my services were no longer necessary?
Dreading a phone call from HR, told you have a meeting at HR, it's all the same. Many companies are restructuring and anyone can be replaced or let go and the surviving ones who made the cut have more of the work.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
That's probably 1/4 a security deposit needed to secure a new place... But no... I can't afford to do anything but sit in place... *tears*
In an apartment complex, maybe.

A privately owned condo, 3 months up front: first, last, and deposit.

flynnibus

Premium Member
In an apartment complex, maybe.

A privately owned condo, 3 months up front: first, last, and deposit.

$200 is still more than $0.... and if someone wants to move, they should prioritize their needs. Or... just keep complaining about how bad Orlando is... not sure what they want to happen. Fairy comes down and plucks them away if they wish on a shooting star?

Tom Morrow

The college program is definitely a major reason why so many move to Orlando to work at Disney. The program itself presents a skewed version of actually living and working for the mouse to support yourself. CP’s who do any respectable level of work are often showered with praise (mileage may vary) and this also leads to an impression that, if only they were a full or part time CM, they’d be rising in the ranks quickly. Unfortunately, it isn’t true, for most.

Frugality is certainly a virtue, but it’s also become a cult. It’s extremely common amongst my generation that grew up in the shadow of the 2008 crash and particularly in my line of work (accounting/finance). You’re correct, if someone is struggling, the first two things that they bring up are “takeout coffee” and “smartphones.” As though these are the cause of all social ills.

These people love Dave Ramsey, think all debt is bad, and aspire to live on shoestring budgets. Dislikes include new cars (never allowed), Starbucks, and the suburbs. Of course travel is still allowed since that’s not consumption... it’s an “experience that makes you cultured.” I mean, how could anyone ever be truly cultured until they can post a picture on Instagram of themselves holding up the Leaning Tower of Pisa with their bare hand? Well, forgo the iPhone and the coffee long enough, and you can be cultured too!

Again, I have no issues with frugality. The Greatest Generation was frugal. They didn’t shout it out loud, though - they just lived it. But Dave Ramsey (and his contemporaries), as well as social media, have changed the landscape. Now it’s all about shaming people for their bad decisions.
I enjoy Ramsey's advice, but if you followed his advice to a tee, you'd be driving a used 2000 Honda for life, never use a credit card, work two jobs, would never be able to invest if you have even an inkling of debt to your name, etc. I think he sometimes takes budgeting to the next level, to the point you'd might as well live one mundane and boring life and never spend a dime to enjoy anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom