On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

PhotoDave219

If we have a vaccine by January than yeah, I think there’s hope but if this thing goes on longer...it’s time to panic for the company and Florida locals

Its going to go on longer unless people get their act together. People are going to flip when they realize Christmas isn’t happening. You can forget Halloween. Target just cancelled Black Friday. The writing is on the wall and things are not getting better because this is something you simply cannot ignore and it will go away. It won’t fix itself.

At this point, companies are trying to mitigate their losses. As @pheneix is saying, it’s all about survival right now.

rk03221

Its going to go on longer unless people get their act together. People are going to flip when they realize Christmas isn’t happening. You can forget Halloween. Target just cancelled Black Friday. The writing is on the wall and things are not getting better because this is something you simply cannot ignore and it will go away. It won’t fix itself.

At this point, companies are trying to mitigate their losses. As @pheneix is saying, it’s all about survival right now.

I definitely agree. Aside from small business and tourism, are any other industries getting hammered? I know those are the biggest two that are in jeopardy

PhotoDave219

The global economic depression we are entering will send Orlando tourism volume crashing back to the early 90s. I think the entire region did like 40 mil a year back then? Good luck spreading that around all the new stuff that's opened since.

I can't wait and I for one look forward to $99 rooms at the Wilderness Lodge.

Well it’s not all doom and gloom. The parks will be fantastic to visit for anyone who’s there. MK & EPCOT are fantastic to tour at 1/4 capacity or less. Very, very enjoyable.

The deals will be there once all this pandemic is over. Will the guests return to 20M/yr at MK? Not for a long time....

pheneix

Original Poster
Thank you for the information drop @pheneix this is incredible. Any thoughts on what's going to happen to the WIP projects at WDW and DL? Will they be put on an indefinite hold?

That largely depends on how certain financial circumstances play out. Disney is pretty screwed. WDW is losing more money than if they stayed closed. They say staying open is worth it to encourage future bookings. Thus, its like a loss leader for future sales. I dunno what to say to that logic. Nothing Disney do today will change a consumer mind about what they do in 2022. Who knows what the world will look like. You can't even get people to commit to 2021 ideas.

The company at large is a train wreck. I really don't know how things are gonna turn out. Most of Iger's legion will be gone. That's for sure. He destroyed the company with the Fox acquisition. He left no reserve for a rainy day. Now the storm hit and Disney has a cash crisis. Is Iger making sound decisions? No. He is using the company's resources to save his legacy. And by legacy I mean Disney's stock price. Because that's where his wealth is.

PhotoDave219

I definitely agree. Aside from small business and tourism, are any other industries getting hammered? I know those are the biggest two that are in jeopardy

Everything service based. Hotels, restaurants, bars, etc. Any business that operates solely on its margins is at risk. Any company that spent like an addict on a coke bender and had nothing saved away in case the world ended.

Just gotta test and isolate. Then contact trace and test and isolate those folks. Rinse, lather, repeat. Gotta work on the assumption that a vaccine won’t save us. Gotta isolate the virus and make it burn itself out.

It’s just much easier to do that when it’s a handful of villages in Central Africa rather than the whole bloody planet.

PhotoDave219

Orlando is a low wage city and one of the worst in the US for housing affordability. I’ll argue that most CM’s are a missed paycheck away from deciding if they want rent or food.

So, like 2008. But with fewer $150/wk motels on 192.

I’m trying to give people a light at the end of this tunnel, something to look forward to.

Not all these OG members from 15+ years ago coming in and saying “We told you so” about the economic state of the company over the past 5-10 years.

Trying to find the silver lining?

pheneix

Original Poster
I’m trying to give people a light at the end of this tunnel, something to look forward to.

Not all these OG members from 15+ years ago coming in and saying “We told you so” about the economic state of the company over the past 5-10 years.

Trying to find the silver lining?

All the OG people coming back is necessary. We are at the precipice of the most titanic change in the company's history. We all know it.

COVID-19 has called out a lot of business bluffs. Disney is no different. They just have a decade of *insane* customer management ditching the middle class for a kind of customer that's ceasing to exist.

brb1006

...... just when I thought I was out.
Lo6W.gif

It's been years, and so much stuff happened during your absence.

HairyChest

I'll be at the parks for the first 2 weeks in August to enjoy the low crowds. I wonder how soon they will cut the number of days of parks open / layoffs. Are we talking like within the next month? 3 months? beginning of 2021?

hopemax

I think it’s best to assume every industry is getting smacked, and walk out the few companies that aren’t. Even the ones we hear are okay, have to be managing supply chain issues and labor costs that can’t stay like this without damage eventually. At some point the pain is going to spill into consumers, and all the online activity, home improvement projects, and curbside pickups keeping some things afloat is gonna run out.

Quarterlies are going to be interesting.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Now I'm a little concerned as to what this means for sponsorships and non-Disney properties. Is Tower of Terror in danger again? What about RnR and Test Track?

We also know WDW maintenance is a joke. Is the continually ignored upkeep (back when they were doing well pre-virus) going to wreak havoc now? Just look at whats happened to Splash, peoplemover, B-mode dinosaur, tipped over parrot and everything else. How much worse is this going to get?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom