On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

TrainsOfDisney

Failure wasn't the choice - it was their outcome. It's a fact many come down to 'work their dream job' and find out they can't make it work. Many don't do the due diligence to see what the math really is.. they instead let 'dreams' cloud their judgement and then a year or so later they leave in disgust.

There is no 'choice' in acknowledging that reality - that's history.

So what point are you trying to make? That Disney should be paying more? Or that nobody should work for Disney?

bryanfze55

I lost my rose colored glasses for Disney resorts in Florida when I started travelling in Asia. I stayed at the Sheraton Grande Tokyo Bay on my first visit to Tokyo Disney in 2007 for 150$ US. My sister talked the front desk person into putting us on the Concierge level, which was absolutely amazing. Our room was huge, we had a balcony overlooking Tokyo DisneySea on on the second highest floor and the lounge spread counted as a full buffet with liquor and beer.

Meanwhile, for 600-700$ US, I get a room that appears in many cases as generic as an airport hotel at the Polynesian Village or Contemporary Resort in Florida. When I stayed at the Intercontinental Tokyo and I checked in at 3, I said I would like steak... they called the teppanyaki restaurant on the 36th floor and kept a chef there for me so we could have a steak dinner. At WDW: even if you're staying on the concierge level of a deluxe, the "concierge" can't do anything.

Last year, I returned to Singapore. I used points to stay at an Intercontinental in Singapore and it was amazing. Oops, your significant other need a wheelchair due to a small accident? The concierge arranged one and brought it to our room. Oh, thank you for being an ambassador member! You have resort credits, get points on the purchases and free drinks at the bar. If Disney wanted to really go into the luxurious hotel game, they need to offer a loyalty program with real perks, have concierges with real power and go above and beyond.

Japanese culture tends to be far more eager to please. And it’s not fake as is prevalent in the US; that’s just genuinely their culture.

Also, Disney hasn’t needed to do any of those things, because there seemed to be an endless line of people willing to pay $600-$700 a night. I’m not one of them, for the record. **** that. But I do wonder when (or if) there will be an army of people ready to pay those prices again.

DVCakaCarlF

If the NDA includes a clause that prohibits you from posting your dismissal on social sites, and you sign it, then you've agreed to those terms. It's a contract.

It's one thing to update your resume on linkdin -- it's something else to rush to twitter or facetime to scream that you've been fired.

Would it be legal? I don't know.

But I know I wouldn't want to spend my severance bonus on lawyers to find out.
I’d keep my mouth shut, if someone paid me.

UNCgolf

Hence the widespread discontent over the resort parking fee...

It's one of the most blatant cash grabs I've ever seen. It's not like they were running out of parking spaces and needed to discourage people from bringing their own vehicles; there were tons of empty spots at most resorts. I don't think they even tried to justify it because there really wasn't any way to.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
To park your Lamborghini or Ferrari right in front of the Grand Floridian lobby is VIP status.
Frankly...anyone in a Lambo would be appalled at what they call “service” there.
You mean mean people who can’t afford or don’t want to prepay for a park visit 10, 11, 12 months from now. There’s a certain amount of cynicism in thinking it solely markets to those that can’t afford to prepay. I can certainly afford to prepay our Uni passes, but there’s no reason to.
This is what I’m saying...just because some people are dumb...doesn’t mean we all have to follow suit. That’s an important lesson these days.
It's entirely cynical. That doesn't mean it's incorrect.
Well that is true...but not EVERYONE

DarkMetroid567

If the NDA includes a clause that prohibits you from posting your dismissal on social sites, and you sign it, then you've agreed to those terms. It's a contract.

It's one thing to update your resume on linkdin -- it's something else to rush to twitter or facetime to scream that you've been fired.

Would it be legal? I don't know.

But I know I wouldn't want to spend my severance bonus on lawyers to find out.

It's likely it would have been leaked, then. People who are laid off don't tend to be happy, and people who don't tend to be happy often talk to the press.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
It's one of the most blatant cash grabs I've ever seen. It's not like they were running out of parking spaces and needed to discourage people from bringing their own vehicles; there were tons of empty spots at most resorts. I don't think they even tried to justify it because there really wasn't any way to.
Wait till they slap a resort fee...
...oh brother 😬

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
AFAIK, Universal AP's renew at a 20% discount if you pay in full vs FlexPay.

So that’s two things that Disney doesn’t do that’s dumb...hmmm?

As an FYI...I’m seriously considering UNI passes if and when this all gets under control...really enjoyed my last trip as time as moved on (6 months)...does make the DVC somewhat “less convenient”...however

Miss Bella

Interest free loans are good if one is confident one can pay it off during the promotional period. I don't know a lot of people who are responsible enough to pay it off during the promo period.
A lot of people use credit cards responsibly. There are numerous forums on reddit and other places when people not only use them responsibly, but they use them to their advantage. Churning and earning points for free vacations is a pretty big hobby.

UNCgolf

Wait till they slap a resort fee...
...oh brother 😬

I still can't figure out why they did it.

It would have been a smarter move to just raise the price of every hotel room by $15-20. That would have been a much larger revenue boost across the board and it probably would have gone mostly unnoticed (or at least mostly ignored as just standard business), unlike the parking fee which made a lot of people angry.

Last edited:

TaylorHound

Waking up this morning to check this thread and wow what a change lol

Attachments

• 7F18CEB8-BCD8-44C8-9DBF-FE2C85076E34.jpeg
    7F18CEB8-BCD8-44C8-9DBF-FE2C85076E34.jpeg
    86.7 KB · Views: 121

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom