On layoffs, very bad attendance, and Iger's legacy being one of disgrace

Lilofan

Advertisement
You really have no clue when it comes to contracts, labor law and labor relations. A company offering an extension doesn’t mean a union can’t strike.
You the same . Do you see CMs on the picket line? ?

mkt

Maleante Izquierdozo
Premium Member
I worked at Disney while I attended UCF.

Charge on Fellow Knight.

kids coming from UVA, UT Austin or UW.

Funny you mention those. I dated a UW girl, and she basically in a full UW apartment. Kind of amazing. Also, Disney does recruit at UT Austin, I've known quite a few CP's from there, including a few who came back into higher level positions.

But yes...

CPs seemed to be of two mindsets. Some were like me, just enjoying a semester or 2 working but really just living in a college dorm essentially and having fun. But for a lot of the kids, this was an opportunity to get out Nowheresville, USA

This was a lot of them.

Certainly not ivy leagues either.

Not CP's, I personally know 5 Ivy League Grads who worked or work for Disney (including one that used to post here). One Cornell alum in resorts, one Yale alum is an actor, the second Yale alum was a part time character performer on the weekends while he was in law school, a Brown Alum worked for WDI, and a UPenn alum who is a developer and works part time in entertainment at the parks.

But yes, a lot get sucked in. A lot extend their program and then they realize they dont want to go back to University of Phoenix main campus and just work at Disney.

I'm glad I was fired before I had the chance to become a lifer.

mkt

Maleante Izquierdozo
Premium Member
Paying off loan debt faster? , go to a public university rather than private. Less loans to pay off. Feeling adventurous and want to serve your country? Go the ROTC route and free college. I worked through school, winter , summer break and didn't make excuses and put on my big boy pants. I'm glad I took investing classes in school and started early.

I went to a public university and still graduated with debt. It's paid off though, at the cost of my retirement. But the daily compound interest outpaced the growth of my 401k, so the decision was made.

Now I'm rushing to pay it back - so far so good.

mkt

Maleante Izquierdozo
Premium Member
You really have no clue when it comes to contracts, labor law and labor relations. A company offering an extension doesn’t mean a union can’t strike.

A strike at Disney will be kind of pointless when the majority of guest facing areas are far from the property line. The only place for some visibility will be on the sidewalk outside of Hotel Plaza Blvd.

Lilofan

The Q3 earnings call is tomorrow at 4:30 Eastern. Should be an interesting conference call / bloodbath.

Just looking around when I was there and even considering the limited park & resort operations, their cost center / profit center number have got to be scary.

DIS buying opportunity on tomorrow's drop for my son's account though...
If Bob&Bob put on their best face in these uncertain times and convince Wall Street on a turnaround and restructuring plan then that is what Wall Street and company shareholders want to hear.

tissandtully

TL;DR/ Disney's in a bad position financially, layoffs already started, layoffs to continue, expect cuts in the parks, Iger's legacy is tarnished.

Also car buying advice, something about bootstraps, and avocados are good.
Lol, thanks. What areas have layoffs been started?

mkt

Maleante Izquierdozo
Premium Member
That's neat. I wouldn't mind working at UCF for a few years to be close to the parks, but they dont seem to ever need profs with my background. Looks like a fun school though.

What's your background? My kid sister couldn't find work at UCF, so she got a job at Valencia College.

mkt

Maleante Izquierdozo
Premium Member
Cold War and/or British history.

I'll look into Valencia, thanks for the tip. 😁

Check out also Seminole State College, Rolllins College, Brevard College, Polk State College, and Stetson University. They're a bit further out, but not so far that WDW day trips are out of the question. Really, any institution of higher education within a two hour drive should be good, so that should open anything from Palm Beach County to St Johns County on the east coast, Sarasota County to Levy County on the west, and Alachua County to Highlands County in the middle of the state. That's a LOT of potential, good luck.

Top Bottom