Older MGM nightime show from mid 90's???

scrooge13

Original Poster
Hi everyone,

longtime lurker. This is my first post. I've seen this can be a rough crowd so i'll try to make sure my question doesn't sound too stupid. This has been bothering me for sometime now, but i remember when i was kid back in the late 80's early 90's a nightime show at one of the Disney theme parks, i think it was MGM. The only thing i can remember from the show was the the villian turned out to be the bad guy from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" I'm pretty sure it wasn't an early version of fantasmic. I know Roger was very popular in the Park back then. Does anyone have a clue has to what show i'm taking about? I wish i could remember more but thats all i got. It's been bugging me since i visted Disney World this last September :)

Thanks to anyone who has a clue!

maggiegrace1

I dont know the answer..
But we are not that rough..;)

Not a stupid question at all..if you want to know something ask..:)

Welcome to the boards..Hope you enjoy it here..:)

Pioneer Hall

Not sure if this is what you are talking about since I don't remember the show too well, but the nighttime show before Fantasmic was Sorcery in the Sky Fireworks.

scrooge13

Original Poster
Not sure if this is what you are talking about since I don't remember the show too well, but the nighttime show before Fantasmic was Sorcery in the Sky Fireworks.

Thanks for the warm welcome maggiegrace!

And DisneyInsider, I don't really remember anything about Sorcery in the Sky but was there a villian involved? The only thing i can remember is that it stared mickey, roger rabbit, a few other characters, i think there was some fireworks, i thought we were in an arena but i can't remember, and it had something to do with the villian turning out to be the bad guy from Roger Rabbit. I don't remember why he wasn't dead but thats the only part i can remember..... very frustrating but thanks for the hepl!:animwink:

CoffeeJedi

Nah, this is the kind of question that we live for! (its the kids asking about 5th gates or monorail rumors that drive us nuts)

That doesn't sound like Sorcery in the Sky, that show had a giant inflatable Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey. (right?)

There was a tremendous amount of Roger Rabbit tie-ins during the early 90's at the Studios though.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Was this possibly at the original Theatre of the Stars; an ampitheatre where the junction of Sunset and Hollywood is today. It was open air seating, with a stage look like todays more permenant version (semi circle `rings` around the stage)

Mad Stitch

That doesn't sound like Sorcery in the Sky, that show had a giant inflatable Sorcerer's Apprentice Mickey. (right?)

Your right, the inflatable Mickey also shot fireworks out of his fingertip. I don’t remember if Judge Doom was in the show though. I don’t think he was.

cullama213

Roger Rabbit Tie ins

Off topic, but there definetely needs to be more RR stuff at studios...

My favorite character ever... All that we really have left is one bill board...

Zummi Gummi

Pioneering the Universe Within!
Speaking of Roger, didn't he disappeat because of rights issues? I seem to remembe that. It certainly accounts for his sudden disappearance (I remember when he used to be EVERYWHERE). He is my favorite character too, and you never see him anymore.

Does he ever appear anymore?

krankenstein

Was this possibly at the original Theatre of the Stars; an ampitheatre where the junction of Sunset and Hollywood is today. It was open air seating, with a stage look like todays more permenant version (semi circle `rings` around the stage)

I thought Beauty and the Beast was originally in Theatre of the Stars

csm

Hi everyone,

longtime lurker. This is my first post. I've seen this can be a rough crowd so i'll try to make sure my question doesn't sound too stupid. This has been bothering me for sometime now, but i remember when i was kid back in the late 80's early 90's a nightime show at one of the Disney theme parks, i think it was MGM. The only thing i can remember from the show was the the villian turned out to be the bad guy from "Who Framed Roger Rabbit?" I'm pretty sure it wasn't an early version of fantasmic. I know Roger was very popular in the Park back then. Does anyone have a clue has to what show i'm taking about? I wish i could remember more but thats all i got. It's been bugging me since i visted Disney World this last September :)

Thanks to anyone who has a clue!

I'm sorry to say, but you are not going to find the answer you were hoping for because this show never existed. Prior to Fantastmic!, the Studios had no nighttime *show* - partly due to the fact that Prior to Tower of Terror opening in 1994, the Studios was not a huge full-day draw park. Sorcery in the Sky was solely a fireworks show, and had no "starring characters" in it. It consisted solely of fireworks, music and brief opening and finale narration focusing on the movies, and the mickey mouse inflatable.

There was never a Disney park show that even involved Judge Doom at all, let alone had him as the main villian. In fact he's even omitted from the Car Toon Spin attractions at Disneyland and Tokyo Disneyland. Earlier live shows at the Studios included ________ Tracy's Diamond Double-cross and Here Come the Muppets, Doug Live, Superstar Television, Monster Soundstage (replaced by Sounds Dangerous) as well as of course the Hunchback of Notre Dame and Who Wants to be a Millioniare. Obviously none of those involved Judge Doom or anything remotely Roger Rabbit.

I know you were hoping to clarify some memory that you had but unfortunately not all memories were based originally in fact :). For what it's worth, I would love to have more Roger Rabbit around the parks; definitely my favorite character. I practically pushed a bunch of Japanese kids out of my way to take a picture with him at a very crowded Tokyo Disneyland (where he is still out daily).

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I thought Beauty and the Beast was originally in Theatre of the Stars
Beauty and the Beast was originally in what became the Backlot Theatre - before the Pochohontas Show. The original Theatre of the Stars (not the one on Sunset) faced The Chinese Theatre, and was a simple stage set up which held day and night time shows; possibly the one mentioned by the OP (it definatly wasn`t a version of SITS)

Here`s the theatre in 1989; the Chinese Theatre is to the left, Hollywood Blvd and the main gate to the right. Echo lake is behind the camera.

Attachments

• Theatre of the Stars original.jpg
    Theatre of the Stars original.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 82

Nemo14

Could it possibly have been a show at Mickey's Starland/Birthdayland/ Toontown Fair, or whatever it was called back then? It wouldn't neccesarily have been a night time show, but I remember that my son won a prize from Roger Rabbit during the 20th celebration... :veryconfu

krankenstein

Beauty and the Beast was originally in what became the Backlot Theatre - before the Pochohontas Show. The original Theatre of the Stars (not the one on Sunset) faced The Chinese Theatre, and was a simple stage set up which held day and night time shows; possibly the one mentioned by the OP (it definatly wasn`t a version of SITS)

Here`s the theatre in 1989; the Chinese Theatre is to the left, Hollywood Blvd and the main gate to the right. Echo lake is behind the camera.

AHHH! Ok I know what you are referring too now, before my time, but I have heard of it. Thanks for clearing it up.

DigitalDisney

I believe that Sorcery In The Sky had a couple different versions, based on what they were trying to promote at the time.

At one point, they had a Rocketeer segment where a person in the Rocketeer costume flew around (don't think they went above the crowd) in front of the Chinese Theater.

It's possible they had a Roger Rabbit segment/promotion at one point...

scrooge13

Original Poster

It's very possible but it was so long ago i don't remember. It is possible it was a show that was not at MGM too, i just know MGM was full of Roger Rabbit stuff.

scrooge13

Original Poster
Could it possibly have been a show at Mickey's Starland/Birthdayland/ Toontown Fair, or whatever it was called back then? It wouldn't neccesarily have been a night time show, but I remember that my son won a prize from Roger Rabbit during the 20th celebration... :veryconfu

it is very possible. It could have been a show in Magic Kingdom. I'm almost positive i'm not dreaming this up though. It might even have been a joke a character had said when they defeated the villian but didn't know who he really was. Somethign like "maybe he was the guy who framed Roger Rabbit?" The more i think about it, it might have just been some kind of reference to the movie.

Anyway, i appreaciate all the attemps at trying to jog my memory! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom