Old Key West or Saratoga

pluto3198

We are headed to WDW the first week in December with our son who will be 16 months at that time. We are looking at staying in a one bedroom villa. Which would be the better choice (in your opinion) - Old Key West or Saratoga Springs? Thanks!

STITCHRULES

I love Saratoga Springs- stay in Congress Park and get the Downtown Disney view. It is amazing- all lit up at night. If you are going to be in the room at night you can sit on the balcony and relax and enjoy the views. Very peaceful and serene there.

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

We've stayed in studios at both. From what we've heard the 1 BR at OKW are a bit larger than at the other DVC resorts. However, the pool at SSR has a zero entry part that would be great for your little one to splash around in (ours was 18 mo for her first trip to SSR). There is another water play area with fountains (and Donald Duck) for the kids to play in at SSR too. We stayed at the Springs which is the closest to the main pool. Have fun.

Upvote 0

darthjohnny

I think they are both very nice. We stayed in Old Key West just this March and had a great time and the one bedroom room was excellent. I guess it really depends on what type of atmosphere you want, Key West or upstate New York. The rooms in Old Key West are much bigger though

Upvote 0

Teenchy

With a little one I dont think the access to Downtown DIsney or Pleasure Island will be that important to you. So the location of SS wont mean that much. They do have a nice pool and the zero entry as stated before would be helpful. But how many days are you going to swim?

Even though I'm a DVC Member and my "home resort" is SS, I prefer OKW. Because its older, the landscaping, etc. has had time to grow up around the resort and its a real layed back Key West feel. The rooms are a bit larger also.

I always suggest staying in Buildings 62,63 or 64. Which are walking distance to the pool, check in, General Store, Olivia's restaurant and the bus and boats. Its just so convenient. Remember its a large resort and if you dont have a rental car your building could be way in the back.

You will love either one you choose, have a wonder vacation!

Check out www.allearsnet.com and their information and pictures on all of the accomidations in WDW.

Upvote 0

PixyDust

The only problem with OKW and a baby is that there are no elevators. When we stay at OKW, we always request a first-floor room, but it can't be guaranteed.
You'll enjoy either though - they are both great!

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

PixyDust said:
The only problem with OKW and a baby is that there are no elevators. When we stay at OKW, we always request a first-floor room, but it can't be guaranteed.
You'll enjoy either though - they are both great!

Ooooh, good point, I forgot about having to carry the baby and the stroller up the stairs at OKW. There are a few buildings at OKW with elevators for handicap access but otherwise it's all uncovered stairs. SSR has elevators in every building and covered stairwells for those afternoon rain showers.

Upvote 0

sjnichol

We prefer OKW because the 1 and 2 br are much bigger, I was very disappointed when BWV, BCV and SSR opened as the kitchen and livingroom areas are very cramped. OKW is very spacious and if you have kids, that extra space is great. I just booked a 2BR in OKW for Nov.

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

Just bought into SSR, from what I could see it looks very good but, if they
start shooting off the fireworks again your 16 month old will not sleep well, but at OKW your far enough away to see the lights but not really hear the sounds. OKW is a very quiet place to stay, in fact we will be at a studio from this Monday to friday, really a great place to stay, can always find postcard type photo ops.

Upvote 0

dflye

Old Key West would be my choice, as it has larger rooms, isn't as close to the loud and bright zaniness of Downtown Disney, and costs less points per night than SSR (if you are staying as a DVC member, renter or guest)

Upvote 0

DisneyPhD

Without the fireworks, SSR was a very quiet place to stay. We never even heard other guests outside our room.
Our experience at OKW was a bit different. Our room was 15 feet from the road through the center of the resort. We heard every bus that went by heading toward the back of the resort and on the trip back out too. The utility carts carrying the bedding and towels around the resort had these hard wheels that rumbled as they went past. Obviously, this is not the case in every room. I'm sure we will stay at OKW again, but we will have a better idea of what room location to request.

Upvote 0

dvcnut39

I never stayed at OKW, but I'll give you my review of SSR. We stayed there 3-11DEC05. I was not looking forward to it at all. I am much more of the stay at BCV or VWL all the time type of guy, but my better half likes to stay somewhere different every time. I just like the theme better at the other two resorts, I like the location better, and you just can't beat BCV's pool or being within walking distance to Disney's Boardwalk. I'm not much of a horse racing buff either, so I was really dreading the theme. I tell you what, once we got there, I fell in love with the place. I loved the pool, the proximity to DTD, and the convenience of the transportation. I hope this helps you out. Also, our four year old loved it.

Upvote 0

pluto3198

Original Poster
Thanks for all the input. We go have been goign to Disnet at least one every year for the last five years but are no very familiar with either SSR or OKW. We were attempting to stay at either BWV or BCV but there are no rooms available at either at the Cast Member discounts. Thanks again for all your advice.

Upvote 0

MeTa

Old Key West by far, in my own opinion it is the best Time Share resort because it was the first. After that there was no drive up to your doorstep parking, and the rooms are bigger. They fixed what they thought to be mistakes after OKW. I especially love the home feeling you get when you stay there.

Upvote 0

Magic Maker

I like the feeling of OKW outside of the rooms, but I like Saratoga's rooms better. OKW also has a full service restuarant, whereas DSSR does not because of it's proximity to Downtown Disney.
There are no longer any fireworks at DTD if it helps.

Upvote 0

Magic Maker

MeTa said:
Old Key West by far, in my own opinion it is the best Time Share resort because it was the first. After that there was no drive up to your doorstep parking, and the rooms are bigger. They fixed what they thought to be mistakes after OKW. I especially love the home feeling you get when you stay there.

DSSR is drive up, it is similar to OKW in that it is nothing but DVC rooms therefore the building are all vacation homes.

DSSR also has a larger community hall and the furniture and sofa beds are more comfortable.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom