Old Key West and POFQ

Skibum1970

Original Poster
So, I used Dave's DVC Rentals and booked Old Key West for a great price (avg. about $143/night). I was trying to figure out how to sell it better to my wife. She wanted Port Orleans French Quarter, if I couldn't get the Wilderness Lodge. Well, the Lodge was either booked or no deals came close. POFQ (thankfully) is now unavailable (originally stated "booked" but I didn't book it).

So, taking price out of the discussion, how best to frame the OKW is going to be great? She doesn't want to go to a rundown looking hotel, didn't like the look of Coronado (sorry Buzz), and is always concerned that I'm going to check us into a dump. Sadly, I have accidentally given her reason to be concerned a couple times but I've become much better over the years. So, what are OKW provides a good appeal for staying there?

Last edited:

DisneyGigi

Old Key West is gorgeous. We stayed in a 1 br Villa last year and it is huge and very clean and nice. The only thing I did not like about it, was that mostly you are walking around parking lots, it is very spread out without the paths you can walk around at Coronado. We love to walk the resorts at night. We chose this year with just us two to go back to Coronado because we do not need the space. I don’t think your wife will be disappointed. It is very nice and updated well, being an older resort. The colors of the buildings are beautiful and we loved the porch-balcony, so private. We could also see the fireworks at night from our villa. I loved it, other than missing the paths to walk.

Skibum1970

Original Poster
Old Key West is gorgeous. We stayed in a 1 br Villa last year and it is huge and very clean and nice. The only thing I did not like about it, was that mostly you are walking around parking lots, it is very spread out without the paths you can walk around at Coronado. We love to walk the resorts at night. We chose this year with just us two to go back to Coronado because we do not need the space. I don’t think your wife will be disappointed. It is very nice and updated well, being an older resort. The colors of the buildings are beautiful and we loved the porch-balcony, so private. We could also see the fireworks at night from our villa. I loved it, other than missing the paths to walk.

This is good to hear. I definitely didn't want anything to look rundown. I like that it is supposed to be quieter and private (as you mentioned). I thought that it had some paths around the LBV golf course but I may have misread that.

DisneyGigi

This is good to hear. I definitely didn't want anything to look rundown. I like that it is supposed to be quieter and private (as you mentioned). I thought that it had some paths around the LBV golf course but I may have misread that.
It probably does, we just did not explore that much. Our room, Villa was amazing. We had views of gardens-woods from balcony, which was very roomy. I just loved walking the many paths around the lake, at Coronado. Our villa, was very quiet, in front of the parking lot, and near the quiet pool. It is not run down at all, beautiful rooms, buildings and great housekeeping and front desk help. If we were going with our extended family, I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Skibum1970

Original Poster
It probably does, we just did not explore that much. Our room, Villa was amazing. We had views of gardens-woods from balcony, which was very roomy. I just loved walking the many paths around the lake, at Coronado. Our villa, was very quiet, in front of the parking lot, and near the quiet pool. It is not run down at all, beautiful rooms, buildings and great housekeeping and front desk help. If we were going with our extended family, I would not hesitate to stay there again.

Thanks. I think that I just won't say anything and then she can make decisions about the resort when we get there.

correcaminos

OKW is in the middle of a refurbishment too. Some of the rooms are beautifully new on the inside. I happen to disagree about it not being walk-able though. There are sidewalks for you to walk on if you do want to explore the resort. There is also a nice path from South Point to Disney Springs (though I do prefer the boat ride as it's lovely). So there are paths, just not random ones to no where. This is a condo style meaning there are small lots near each room, but not massive parking lots. Its all quite cozy and comfortable. The rooms are huge. Among the largest for the room size. Having a balcony or patio is amazingly wonderful to me.

We used to stay at POR (not POFQ admittedly but we did visit it a lot on our stays) but changed to OKW a few years ago and now would not stay anywhere else (we've also been to pretty much all resorts). If you are an 'adult' couple, the resort is perfect and the Hospitality House area is really special as people have said, particularly at night. The lack of a self service food court is actually a real positive and Olivias is an under rated family type restaurant that also does a great breakfast where you can watch the boats to DS come in.

ToTBellHop

Let's focus for a moment on the fact that you lied to your wife, claimed you booked POFQ when you didn't, waited until it sold out, and now want to guide her to your plan.

Manipulative much?

Enjoy your vacay.

Skibum1970

Original Poster
Let's focus for a moment on the fact that you lied to your wife, claimed you booked POFQ when you didn't, waited until it sold out, and now want to guide her to your plan.

Manipulative much?

Enjoy your vacay.

Did not lie at all. Was talking through which resorts she might want and she stated that she would like POFQ. So, I didn't tell her anything false. I just didn't provide all the details yet. Plus, she is instantly distrustful of anything new. New hotel? Bah, it will be awful. Want to go visit Pandora? Bah, the lines will be long and the rides will suck. So, it is about carefully allowing her to reach conclusions on her own without having the immediate pushback. The first time we stayed at PORS, I heard about how awful it was going to be and, when we first arrived, I heard about how long the walk was to our room. Now, she really likes both of the Port Orleans resorts.

I will fully enjoy my vacation. We have tickets to the Very Merry Christmas Party and will spend a lot of time enjoying the festive atmosphere.

Disneyfreak Jen

I also give a nod to OKW. I booked through David’s in ‘16, stayed in a studio, absolutely loved it. I have also stayed at POR twice and while I enjoyed that too and can’t give it any bad marks, if I had to choose I’d definitely go with OKW. Nice pools, walking paths. Theming and design was great, you really feel like you’re in the Keys. Boat ride or walking path to DS.

slappy magoo

I think your biggest hurdle - aside from if she ever finds out there was a chance of you booking POFQ and you didn't jump on it - is the fact that OKW, while not particularly rundown or shabby or a bad place to stay, it also doesn't particularly scream "DISNEY!" if screaming "DISNEY!" is something she'd like. And based on WL being your first choice, I'd guess screaming "DISNEY!" is something you both wanted.

For $143 it's a studio room, right?
POFQ rooms are around 314 sq. ft.
OKW rooms are 390. So you're definitely getting more space.

POFQ has no sitdown restaurant at all, you have to walk to Riverside for one (Boatwright's) and last I knew of, it's only open for dinner. Olivia's is open for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Here are some pics of the rehabbed OKW studio rooms. Minimalist but nice. Make sure she knows, the lack of carpet means much lower odds of bed bugs. However, OKW is still in the process of renovating rooms, there are no guarantees you'll get a refurbished room.

http://allears.net/acc/g-old-key-west-studio.htm

But of course, POFQ have recently renovates rooms, too

Both rooms have a little fridge and coffee maker. OKW also has a microwave. Don't know how necessary that is.

Both POFQ and OKW are pretty isolated. POFQ is walking distance to Riverside. Parts of OKW are close to Saratoga and there is a walkway to Disney Springs but it's not a 5 minute jaunt even if you're as close to it as possible.

At POFQ, you have (had) the option of a room with a single king sized bed. At OKW you only have 2 queen beds in studios. Which might work out if she's so angry at you that you need separate beds. :cautious: And I only mean that sort of sarcastically, because my two cents, there's a good chance POFQ was her #2 choice because it's amongst the most romantic looking of the Disney resorts. I know others find OKW to look romantic as well but those are comments I don't see as often or as passionately as I do for POFQ. POFQ even does carriage rides at night. Now I don't know if you have kids and if they're coming with you on the trip. If they are, then you're providing more living space, more dining options, more on site recreational options, all good things. But if you don't have kids, you negated her choice and your decision could be interpreted to say "romantic schmomantic, lookit this deal!" You may have missed some subtle clues.

Accentuate the room size, the better on site dining options, the quiet solitude, and the additional pools (POFQ has one, OKW has one big pool and three "quiet pools").

Good luck

Skibum1970

Original Poster
I think your biggest hurdle - aside from if she ever finds out there was a chance of you booking POFQ and you didn't jump on it - is the fact that OKW, while not particularly rundown or shabby or a bad place to stay, it also doesn't particularly scream "DISNEY!" if screaming "DISNEY!" is something she'd like. And based on WL being your first choice, I'd guess screaming "DISNEY!" is something you both wanted.

For $143 it's a studio room, right?
POFQ rooms are around 314 sq. ft.
OKW rooms are 390. So you're definitely getting more space.

POFQ has no sitdown restaurant at all, you have to walk to Riverside for one (Boatwright's) and last I knew of, it's only open for dinner. Olivia's is open for breakfast lunch and dinner.

Here are some pics of the rehabbed OKW studio rooms. Minimalist but nice. Make sure she knows, the lack of carpet means much lower odds of bed bugs. However, OKW is still in the process of renovating rooms, there are no guarantees you'll get a refurbished room.

http://allears.net/acc/g-old-key-west-studio.htm

But of course, POFQ have recently renovates rooms, too

Both rooms have a little fridge and coffee maker. OKW also has a microwave. Don't know how necessary that is.

Both POFQ and OKW are pretty isolated. POFQ is walking distance to Riverside. Parts of OKW are close to Saratoga and there is a walkway to Disney Springs but it's not a 5 minute jaunt even if you're as close to it as possible.

At POFQ, you have (had) the option of a room with a single king sized bed. At OKW you only have 2 queen beds in studios. Which might work out if she's so angry at you that you need separate beds. :cautious: And I only mean that sort of sarcastically, because my two cents, there's a good chance POFQ was her #2 choice because it's amongst the most romantic looking of the Disney resorts. I know others find OKW to look romantic as well but those are comments I don't see as often or as passionately as I do for POFQ. POFQ even does carriage rides at night. Now I don't know if you have kids and if they're coming with you on the trip. If they are, then you're providing more living space, more dining options, more on site recreational options, all good things. But if you don't have kids, you negated her choice and your decision could be interpreted to say "romantic schmomantic, lookit this deal!" You may have missed some subtle clues.

Accentuate the room size, the better on site dining options, the quiet solitude, and the additional pools (POFQ has one, OKW has one big pool and three "quiet pools").

Good luck

Some great points. She liked POFQ because it was easy to walk to/from the main building and we had good luck with the buses. We rarely do the sit-down restaurants and probably will either eat offsite or at the Contemporary (which she loves). She understands the drive for budget over theme this time around but is always worried about the state of the resort. She always asks about bedbugs (which is somewhat ironic in that Cincinnati is in the top ten along with Orlando for the little buggers). That is really what it comes down to. She likes what she knows and doesn't completely trust what she doesn't.

She won't be mad at me at all as she is fairly easy-going. It's just deciding if/when to tell her about the resort as it will instantly raise her distrust level. However, all this information helps me see her on the resort far easier. She is far more excited about walking through Wilderness Lodge and seeing the decorations as well as the park decorations.

HwdStudio

So, I used Dave's DVC Rentals and booked Old Key West for a great price (avg. about $143/night). I was trying to figure out how to sell it better to my wife. She wanted Port Orleans French Quarter, if I couldn't get the Wilderness Lodge. Well, the Lodge was either booked or no deals came close. POFQ (thankfully) is now unavailable (originally stated "booked" but I didn't book it).

So, taking price out of the discussion, how best to frame the OKW is going to be great? She doesn't want to go to a rundown looking hotel, didn't like the look of Coronado (sorry Buzz), and is always concerned that I'm going to check us into a dump. Sadly, I have accidentally given her reason to be concerned a couple times but I've become much better over the years. So, what are OKW provides a good appeal for staying there?
I own at OKW. I haven’t stayed there in years but it is a lovely resort. Olivia’s has great breakfast. Banana Bread French Toast! You can take the boat to DS. The rooms are spacious. I could go on and on but it is a great place.

pax_65

Old Key West's superiority over Port Orleans French Quarter will be very obvious to see shortly after entering it's beautiful property.
I wouldn't worry at all.

^THIS. I've stayed at both resorts and would chose OKW hands down (and in fact, I have since I purchased DVC there).

Many great points have already been made... I would add that the reason I love OKW is how relaxing it feels. Maybe it's the theme, maybe it's the location away from all the hustle and bustle of the parks, maybe it's the people who stay there. OKW is a relaxing respite from the parks... a place to kick up your feet, have a beer and listen to some Jimmy Buffett.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom