OK, I'll Admit it...Disney Prices Are Out Of Control

Tony the Tigger

I won't argue the rest of your post, but this point misses the mark. The reason for overnight parking fees is not to generate parking fee revenue. The purpose is to push guests away from renting a car, which would result in incremental F&B and merch revenue.

If I’m staying on Disney property with my car, I’m not driving to freaking Outback Steakhouse. I’m driving from home, and then I’m driving to and from the parks without waiting for buses.

I’m also driving to other WDW resorts for dinner and shopping.

But if you make me pay $20/night, I’m going to intentionally reduce my spending by that much or more.

Andrew M

But when we actually got through the first couple days it hit me that the 'Disney trip' I had planned had so much density and weight that it left me no room to shift direction at all when sudden things caused the need for changes on the fly.

This is what I worry the most when I plan the trips. A ton of time and money has been spent planning up until this point, but when one of your kids gets sick before a Dining Reservation, or the kids are too tired to wake up early for a 9am FP, you're SOL and chasing late reservations all day. It really feels more like a chore than a vacation. It would be one thing if ticket prices weren't astronomical, there wouldn't be so much pressure to get it right. But at these prices, you absolutely feel like you have to do as much as you can to get your money's worth. Saying 'oh well do that next time' doesn't really work when it's a minimum of $5k to haul the whole gang down there.

I understand prices have to go up, and of course if it was $30 to get in, the place would be at capacity everyday. But as others have said, the chipping away at what used to be 'free' with upcharges and ticketed events is pretty discouraging.

Unfortunately my kids are hooked. And, since they do have a monopoly on Disney-related Amusement Parks on the east coast, I'm sure we'll keep coming back, so shame on us.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
If I’m staying on Disney property with my car, I’m not driving to freaking Outback Steakhouse.
Good for you. The entire economy of the area is based on people who do exactly that, even if you don't. There's a reason every road bordering WDW is populated with Golden Corrals and gift shops with giant wizards on them. You're the exception, not the rule. People with cars eat off property, buy groceries, and shop off-site "discount" souvenir shops in large numbers.

If I’m staying on Disney property with my car, I’m not driving to freaking Outback Steakhouse.
I’m driving from home, and then I’m driving to and from the parks without waiting for buses.[/QUOTE]
Florida resident's aren't a very profitable subset of guests, so Disney doesn't care very much what you do. They want people to fly and they want them to be captive on property for the duration of their stay.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
This is what I worry the most when I plan the trips. A ton of time and money has been spent planning up until this point, but when one of your kids gets sick before a Dining Reservation, or the kids are too tired to wake up early for a 9am FP, you're SOL and chasing late reservations all day. It really feels more like a chore than a vacation. It would be one thing if ticket prices weren't astronomical, there wouldn't be so much pressure to get it right. But at these prices, you absolutely feel like you have to do as much as you can to get your money's worth. Saying 'oh well do that next time' doesn't really work when it's a minimum of $5k to haul the whole gang down there.
If your plan doesn't accommodate those contingencies, it's not a great plan.

Tony the Tigger

Good for you. The entire economy of the area is based on people who do exactly that, even if you don't. There's a reason every road bordering WDW is populated with Golden Corrals and gift shops with giant wizards on them. You're the exception, not the rule. People with cars eat off property, buy groceries, and shop off-site "discount" souvenir shops in large numbers.

I’m sure that’s more about people staying off property.

Andrew M

If your plan doesn't accommodate those contingencies, it's not a great plan.

Oh I know, I've made many revisions to my strategy over the past few years of bringing the kids down from trial and error. But you can only space things out a little before you start missing out on rides and restaurants. Having your 3rd FP end at 3pm is great for a relaxing morning when you can make sure you're on time for reservations, but you're not getting anything good for the following FPs.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I’m sure that’s more about people staying off property.
Them too. To your original point, groceries are probably the biggest source of lost revenue from on-property guests with cars. I'd guess that people buying bottled water and granola bars at Target are a bigger issue than people going to Outback Steakhouse.

Oh I know, I've made many revisions to my strategy over the past few years of bringing the kids down from trial and error. But you can only space things out a little before you start missing out on rides and restaurants. Having your 3rd FP end at 3pm is great for a relaxing morning when you can make sure you're on time for reservations, but you're not getting anything good for the following FPs.
My biggest pet peeve about guide books and other sources of Disney advice is that they tend to emphasize doing things their perceived "best" way rather than a way that takes into account the nuances of particular families. My girls are up at 6:30 no matter what so we've never missed a rope drop, but they're dead tired by 1:00 so an afternoon nap is a must.

Andrew M

My biggest pet peeve about guide books and other sources of Disney advice is that they tend to emphasize doing things their perceived "best" way rather than a way that takes into account the nuances of particular families. My girls are up at 6:30 no matter what so we've never missed a rope drop, but they're dead tired by 1:00 so an afternoon nap is a must.

Completely agree. I have to drag my kids out of bed for school in the morning, but they'll stay up til 10-11 at night with no problem if we let them. Of course when we go with extended family who are all early risers and want to do everything together, it gets complicated trying to plan out an entire day.

John park hopper

I won't argue the rest of your post, but this point misses the mark. The reason for overnight parking fees is not to generate parking fee revenue. The purpose is to push guests away from renting a car, which would result in incremental F&B and merch revenue.
This has been posted by others as well. Where in Disney's business plan has this been stated they want to eliminate off site cars (private/rental) at the resorts

Tom Morrow

Thanks for the note. I thought I remember that being the case, but couldn't be sure. I can tell you this...basically nothing is working besides the drop sequence. It's in horrible shape. Horrible.
Sadly, the side you rode was the side that was already refurbished.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
This has been posted by others as well. Where in Disney's business plan has this been stated they want to eliminate off site cars (private/rental) at the resorts
The concept of a "captive audience" is well documented for lots of companies in diverse industries, not just Disney. The most obvious public-facing examples are Disney's Magical Express and the Disney Dining Plan.

That's why The Wizarding World of Harry Potter was so damaging to Disney. It wasn't about the impact on theme park attendance, it was that guests perceived WWoHP as a "must-do" and so their Walt Disney World vacations became Orlando-area vacations, which impacted Disney's them park, resort, F&B, merchandise, and recreation businesses.

disneyfireman

I have no issues with the prices. I work overtime to make up for any increases. I dont want Disney cheap. Go on a Carnival cruise...and see what cheap does for cliental .. .But, I will never let any increases affect our family. Thats what O.T. is for..to pay for Disney, but we love it!

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
I’ve also said this. People think Disney charges fees to generate revenue and really its more to influence behavior.

It works in reverse too. The Magical Express isn’t free to be nice...it’s free so you don’t rent a car and you’re in their control.

Parking fees aren’t a needle mover, but increased guest spend is.

I’m fine with ALL of it, but they have to maintain the quality.

tigger731

Disney has finally priced me out of ever visiting again. I priced a three night visit and it would cost more than I make in one month (including air). Disney has always been expensive, but I thought still provided some value. Seems now Disney raises prices because they know people will still pay for the experience!

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
That's how I feel about My Disney Experience. I actually like all of the pre-planning and pre-engagement. It builds excitement for the trip, and I can involve the kids. The problem is, the damn tools are always broken.
And the same parts always seem to be broken, like they’ve just given up fixing it.

I agree. The planning allows guarantees to riding favorites and eating at places you like. Of course I wish I could just walk on anything and eat anywhere I want but it’s not the world we live in today.

I’d rather have the technology than go back to waiting in lines. You can sprinkle in enough spontaneity to make it less like a clipboard of fun.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom