Ohana menu changes

mmouse

Just got back and wanted to jump in. We ate at O'hana on Friday night and was shocked by the changes. According to our waitress there are more changes on the way.

The shrimp on Skewers seemed to be the same as it was before the last change.

The chips were gone and so were the sauces. I know someone mentioned the sauces were still there but on Friday night they were not.

The potatoes are going away. Our waitress said many guests complain that they do not go with the Polynesian theme.

Pork dumplings are on the way.

She did not confirm that the shrimp appetizers were going or staying.

Sounds like the bread pudding is staying.

Well that is what we learned. As always it will be interesting to see how the changes go.

DonaldDoleWhip

Wow, I wonder what my meal will be like on the 20th this month. It seems like a lot of changes are happening as we type, so I have no idea what it'll be like when I'm there.

I wouldn't mind if the potatoes are gone by my trip, but I wonder what they're being replaced with. It better be something that fits the theming (like the fried rice they used to have). The pork dumplings would be kind of interesting, but if I don't get to taste them I won't be sad. Also, I would like to taste the sweet and sour shrimp just to see what they're like. The return of the grilled shrimp makes me very happy now!

They really should make the dessert a choice between bread pudding and pineapple. The bread pudding seems truly unecessary to me and I would rather have something lighter (like fruit) to end such a heavy meal. I guess I'll give the bread pudding a try, and if it's awful I'll wash the taste out of my mouth with a DoleWhip. ;)

PintoColvig

Just got back and wanted to jump in. We ate at O'hana on Friday night and was shocked by the changes. According to our waitress there are more changes on the way.

The shrimp on Skewers seemed to be the same as it was before the last change.

The chips were gone and so were the sauces. I know someone mentioned the sauces were still there but on Friday night they were not.

The potatoes are going away. Our waitress said many guests complain that they do not go with the Polynesian theme.

Pork dumplings are on the way.

She did not confirm that the shrimp appetizers were going or staying.

Sounds like the bread pudding is staying.

Well that is what we learned. As always it will be interesting to see how the changes go.

The potatoes were the best thing going at Ohana, IMO. The rest? Meh. The pudding was okay but now that I've had the Bread and Butter Pudding at Ragland Road (and with the potatoes on the way out), I'll spend my money elsewhere.

As you can tell, I'm done with Ohana. We've tried it twice. The food was subpar and the service was even worse. In fact, both times we visited were two of the three worst services we've had.

vilegirl

Ok...I know the potatoes didn't fit with the theme, but god they're good. I'm sad to see them go. Ohana is (was?) my favorite restaurant on Disney property so it's always hard to hear about a menu change. I'm going there in June so I'm going to keep an open mind until then. If they get rid of the chicken wings, then I'm out!:cry:

tigsmom

Don't know why everyone is getting so worked up over the potatoes...they are just scalloped potatoes. :shrug:

I personally would rather have the rice, but thats just my taste. I'm not a bread pudding fan so the pineapple would be better for me. :slurp:

Kashyyyk

I am going to O'hana's on January 27th. If those potatoes are gone, I may just cry. They are by far, my favourite thing to eat in all of Walt Disney World.

Okay...I see what people are saying about themeing, but I get enough of the theme with the surroundings, the entertainment and the meat on skewers....not to mention the desert.

PLEASE DON'T GET RID OF THE POTATOES....at least not before January 27th. If you do....send them to another restaurant and let me follow!

SonicRuin

I definitely remember. In August 2005, they made a bunch of horrible changes all at once.

1. No more bread - replaced with wontons
2. Less appetizers - No more shrimp wontons/1000 other things
3. Cheesy potatoes replaced the rice (I still think the rice went better with the theming)
4. Pork sausage replaced grilled shrimp - Big mistake, some people don't actually like pork that much but really love shrimp
5. New sauces - I really miss the fruit sauce (the one that was like tropical apple sauce)
6. Dessert - the pineapple is replaced with bread pudding (the pineapple was perfect, if I really wanted to I would pay extra for bread pudding)

At least the bread and the shrimp are back. I'll give the other new stuff a try, but I still miss the old Ohana.

Isn't that true both ways though? I know many people, myself included, who can't stand sea food. I love sausages though, of all sorts. BUT, I agree that one of the standard land animal meats should be replaced, and the sausage makes the most sense. When they said they had sausage to me, it threw me for a loop. I had no idea bratwurst was a Hawaiian food.

wannabeBelle

The last time I was at Garden Grill they had a potato dish that was excellent. It has been a while since I had the potatoes at O'Hanas so I wont say they are better worse etc. but Id definitely give Garden Grill a shot for a great meal and REALLY good potatoes!!! Belle

DizFanatic

No more wontons?!? Arrrg!:cry:
I loved them little critters! The last time I was there they had like a banana bread or something. I liked the sausage, but those yummy shrimp will do just fine in my belly. My wife will be glad to hear that guys are back.

Oh yes.. I (my family as well) miss the pineapple dearly.
I think it's ok to change things up a little every now & then, but they shouldn't make it el-cheapo. Gotta keep the wow factor. Ooh, I can smell the oak fire now! Yum!!!

Pioneer Hall

I went about a week ago and the potatoes were still there. The only difference was in the Shrimp and Sausage. I was a little upset, but that is also because I don't eat shrimp. I would be upset to the see the potatoes go, but as long as it was replaced by something good I wouldn't care.

righttrack

Happy about the changes. Yay for shrimp!
Rice needs to come back, potstickers too and potatoes need to go. Lets keep the theming consistant. There are plenty of places you can get potatoes in WDW.

Brwneyedgirl72

I am interested in the changes they are making, because quite frankly, I was very disappointed the last time that they changed the menu. The fried shrip wontons they used to have were the best! That along with the grilled shrimp dipped in the peanut sauce - made me a happy girl!! Let's hope that get it right this time!

shoppingnut

I'm glad the shrimp will be steamed or on the skewer, because the sweet n sour shrimp was really shrimp cooked with pepper which I hate peppers, so next time I go I will be sure to ask about the shrimp to make sure there are no peppers. The potatoes were okay, but didn't belong there. I did like the wonton's, well they were really large chinese noodles really. Since I don't like breadpudding, I asked for the pineapple and they had it, just have to ask, probably because they do serve that at the Aloha dinner show. I prefer the pineapple, much lighter after such a big meal and more in keeping of the theme.

tigsmom

I'm glad the shrimp will be steamed or on the skewer, because the sweet n sour shrimp was really shrimp cooked with pepper which I hate peppers, so next time I go I will be sure to ask about the shrimp to make sure there are no peppers. The potatoes were okay, but didn't belong there. I did like the wonton's, well they were really large chinese noodles really. Since I don't like breadpudding, I asked for the pineapple and they had it, just have to ask, probably because they do serve that at the Aloha dinner show. I prefer the pineapple, much lighter after such a big meal and more in keeping of the theme.

Wonton skins...thats what they make the crispy Chinese noodles from. They are sliced either thinly or thick and they fried. So fried wontons is the correct term, but not what most of us are used to. I wouldn't have minded wonton dumplings though. :slurp:

ajrwdwgirl

Premium Member
I'll miss the sausage and the won ton chips. I loved the chimichurri type sauce. Maybe they should have the bread and the chips! Also, maybe they should add Spam to the menu, that is very Hawaiian! :animwink:

tigsmom

I'll miss the sausage and the won ton chips. I loved the chimichurri type sauce. Maybe they should have the bread and the chips! Also, maybe they should add Spam to the menu, that is very Hawaiian! :animwink:

Grilled Spam with pineapple. :slurp:

MasonDuo

Hey all--I was searching Ohana and saw this post from Jan. about menu changes. Can anyone confirm if the potatoes have been taken off of the menu or any other changes that might have happened in the past couple months.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom