Ohana menu changes

fizzle75

I see your a fan of creme brulee, if you haven't had it yet, get over to coral reef for their butterscotch creme brulee...:slurp:

It's amazing.

I had never had creme brulee prior to WDW...I always thought it was high falutin', hoity toity, fancy schmancy food. lol

As soon as I tasted it at Le Cellier I loved it and I've been hooked ever since.
I really enjoyed Coral Reef when we went there in December of '06 but my wife didn't so I don't know if I'll ever get her to go back, thanks for the tip though. :wave:

GoofyMom2

Thank you so much. This site does not have the waffles or pancakes and my book has waffles. I have a very picky 4 year old. Did you see Mickey and I believe Pluto? It says they are there for pictures and autographs.

When we were there in April we saw Lilo, Stitch, Pluto and Mickey.

The character interaction was great, they each came over several times. Stitch sat at our table and pretended to drink my son's juice, Pluto took my son's hat off and put it on his own head etc.

Even though the selections were more limited than a buffet, I felt the quality to be much better. And our server brought out more as needed, and even brought out fresh eggs stating that the ones we had might be getting cooled. I have a very picky eater as well but he just loves those Mickey waffles!

Have a great time! :wave:

SallyShine

Thank god for the return of the shrimp and the return of the fruity bread!

We haven't been to Ohana since they made those (imo) awful menu changes back in 2005. We were really put off by the fried wontons, the decrease in the number of appetizers, the cheesy potatoes, the pork sausage replacing shrimp, and the new dessert. This upcoming trip, we'll be dining there on January 20th. If these menu changes are true, I will be so happy!

No if only they would bring back all the previous appetizers, the stir-fried rice and the pineapple dessert. After such a filling meal, I thought the pineapple was a perfect ending because it was really light (and low calorie without the caramel). I think the bread pudding could be an option that you pay extra for, but I don't feel it's necessary after such a huge meal.
I totally agree. The original menu was the best. Remember, they brought out a lazy susan with wings, fried won tons, fried rice and green beans (i think). That was the best. Then, of course, the pinapple with carmel sauce came for dessert.

oochr1soo

i was just at ohanas christmas week, they had the shrimp AND sausage.. im not sure it's gone entirely.. unless its for the new year that they got rid of it..

jessfriends

Coconut/pineapple bread receipe

Does anyone have the link for the coconut/pineapple bread receipe? I did a search on the receipe thread and I found the Bananas Foster and the maui potatoes and some other things but not this bread receipe. If anyone can find it and post I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance! :D

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Does anyone have the link for the coconut/pineapple bread receipe? I did a search on the receipe thread and I found the Bananas Foster and the maui potatoes and some other things but not this bread receipe. If anyone can find it and post I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance! :D

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showpost.php?p=725837&postcount=261

Its a gloomy day here in New York so I'm thinking about cooking &/or baking something. Whats better than Disney food? :lol:

Awhile back people were asking for the pineapple bread from 'Ohana, I just found this...is it the same?

Pineapple Coconut Bread from Ohana
Disney's Polynesian Resort

Ingredients

1 3/4 C. Water 1 Egg Yolk
2 T. Shortening
4 1/2 C. High Gluten Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/3 C Sugar
1 T. Instant Yeast

Pinapple/Coconut Mixture:

1 C. Crushed pineapple
1 C. Unsweetened coconut
1 C. Sugar
2 T. Cornstarch

Directions

Pinapple/Coconut Mixture:

1. Combine pineapple and coconut in bowl.

2. Combine sugar and cornstarch in separate bowl and mix well.

3. Add sugar and cornstarch mixture into pineapple and coconut mixture and mix well.

4. Refrigerate for 1 hour.

Bread:

1. Combine all ingredients in order of recipe in mixing bowl, and mix with dough hook until
dough picks up on hook and the sides of the mixing bowl is clean.

2. Let dough rise until it doubles in size.

3. Roll out dough onto a floured surface until it is 2 inches thick.

4. Next spread pineapple/coconut mixture over the top of the dough.

5. Fold dough into itself and place in a greased 9" x 13" cake pan.

6. Cut dough into pieces with a pizza cutter and spread out cut pieces evenly in cake pan.

7. Let dough rise in warm oven (110 degrees F) - about half way up the pan.

8. Bake at 325 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.

9. Let bread cool, cut and serve.

goofyfan13

I had never had creme brulee prior to WDW...I always thought it was high falutin', hoity toity, fancy schmancy food. lol

As soon as I tasted it at Le Cellier I loved it and I've been hooked ever since.
I really enjoyed Coral Reef when we went there in December of '06 but my wife didn't so I don't know if I'll ever get her to go back, thanks for the tip though. :wave:

Anytime. :wave: This last week was my first time back to Coral Reef since they changed the menu's. There was a collective jaw drop from everyone that got the creme brulee there. :lol:

DonaldDoleWhip

I totally agree. The original menu was the best. Remember, they brought out a lazy susan with wings, fried won tons, fried rice and green beans (i think). That was the best. Then, of course, the pinapple with carmel sauce came for dessert.
I definitely remember. In August 2005, they made a bunch of horrible changes all at once.

1. No more bread - replaced with wontons
2. Less appetizers - No more shrimp wontons/1000 other things
3. Cheesy potatoes replaced the rice (I still think the rice went better with the theming)
4. Pork sausage replaced grilled shrimp - Big mistake, some people don't actually like pork that much but really love shrimp
5. New sauces - I really miss the fruit sauce (the one that was like tropical apple sauce)
6. Dessert - the pineapple is replaced with bread pudding (the pineapple was perfect, if I really wanted to I would pay extra for bread pudding)

At least the bread and the shrimp are back. I'll give the other new stuff a try, but I still miss the old Ohana.

BadTigger

THANK YOU BABY JESUS:sohappy:, that sausage was the WORST EVER!!!!!!!! TO bad its not the old Shrimp but its at least a move in a better direction.

DisneyDancer312

Thank you so much. This site does not have the waffles or pancakes and my book has waffles. I have a very picky 4 year old. Did you see Mickey and I believe Pluto? It says they are there for pictures and autographs.

im almost positive donald and mickey were there that day...my little brother who is 7 had a blast, they gave them lei's and made a train around the restuarant that stitch led. im sure your 4 year old will have a great time. hope you have a nice trip! :wave:

frazierle

Ohanas

We miss the pineapple too, but the bread pudding and banana sauce are rolling too!! We eat here at least twice every trip. Our favorite!!!!
:ROFLOL:18 more days:ROFLOL:

JimboJones123

2 thumbs up for adding the bread. LOVE it at breakfast. Hate Pineapple. Hate Coconut. LOVE the Pineapple/Coconut bread!

Will miss the sausage. So, the pork and Turky both stay as white meats... And there is 2x the shrimp?? Why not the sausage. If not, get a better sausage. Maybe a glazed sausage??? Weird.

goofyfan13

2 thumbs up for adding the bread. LOVE it at breakfast. Hate Pineapple. Hate Coconut. LOVE the Pineapple/Coconut bread!

Will miss the sausage. So, the pork and Turky both stay as white meats... And there is 2x the shrimp?? Why not the sausage. If not, get a better sausage. Maybe a glazed sausage??? Weird.

Yea, I found it weird too. At first I thought they got rid of the steamed shrimp when they said they switched the sausage back to shrimp skewers. Then when we got the plate of steamed shrimp I was needless to say suprised, cause really, as good as shrimp is, no one eats that much of it, seems like a waste to me.

Horizonstta

I was told the shrimp was going to be replaced by dumplings, although not the same ones that were around a few years back. The completed changes are supposed to be done by the end of this month. And I certainly won't be missing the potatoes.

goofyfan13

I was told the shrimp was going to be replaced by dumplings, although not the same ones that were around a few years back. The completed changes are supposed to be done by the end of this month. And I certainly won't be missing the potatoes.

Really? Cause the potatoes haven't gone anywhere yet. So that would put two starches on the appetizers. Unless they plan on dropping the potatoes all together? Hopefully not cause they are delicious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom