Ohana Has Hit Rock Bottom

SteveAZee

I'm the type that over-researches every detail of any trip. I went to WDW a few times as a wee lad in the 90s. When I returned in 2015 and 2016, I bought @lentesta amazing guide books, read every restaurant review, and planned accordingly to visit the highest rated. Luckily I got to enjoy Ohana in 2018. If I was going for the first time and I read all this about Ohana now, no way I'd go. Then again, as @Weather_Lady says, I'm probably in the minority.
LOL, me too. When I send out the planning spreadsheet (I'm one of those) to the family and partners that are part of the trip, I usually only list the table service places that are 3.5 stars of better at Yelp (I embed the links as well ;) ). Do you think the Yelp reviews are consistent with what Len Testa thinks? I'm open to better data if it exists...sometimes I wonder about Yelp.

The_Jobu

LOL, me too. When I send out the planning spreadsheet (I'm one of those) to the family and partners that are part of the trip, I usually only list the table service places that are 3.5 stars of better at Yelp (I embed the links as well ;) ). Do you think the Yelp reviews are consistent with what Len Testa thinks? I'm open to better data if it exists...sometimes I wonder about Yelp.

I never tried Yelp for Disney, I always found it a bit iffy for local restaurants. But I can confirm @lentesta "unofficial guide to wdw" is amazing and never let me down. He compiles hundreds of reviews for all the restaurants and gives a rating and a detailed write up with charts and graphs for value. Incredible.

SteveAZee

I never tried Yelp for Disney, I always found it a bit iffy for local restaurants. But I can confirm @lentesta "unofficial guide to wdw" is amazing and never let me down. He compiles hundreds of reviews for all the restaurants and gives a rating and a detailed write up with charts and graphs for value. Incredible.
Is this online? (I think we're sounding like paid advertisement ;)) What if I order by midnight tonight?

Michaelson

I do know the supply issue and cost in said supplies are brutal. I bet it was a cost thing more than anything else, the good old penny pinchers in corporate.
Agreed 100%. The supply chain is pretty much in tatters at the moment.

We have a couple of friends who run different restaurants in my area, and they both tell me that getting chicken and steak from their usual suppliers is a gamble no matter HOW it goes. Sometimes they receive something they didn't even order, but because the meat they wanted wasn't available, a substitute was just tossed in. They just have to make due.

So, I don't believe Disney is immune to his, no matter HOW big they are, and just are trying to keep things going.

That said, though, the prices should reflect the quality, and as usual, things don't seem to be going hand in hand here.

Regards! Michaelson

lentesta

Premium Member

As of a couple of years ago we were getting more restaurant surveys for WDW every year than Yelp and TripAdvisor had, combined, over their lifetimes. Something like 200K-250K per year I think.

'Ohana is currently sitting at 88% thumbs-up since re-opening (34 surveys received), which is almost exactly average for WDW sit-down places.

SteveAZee

As of a couple of years ago we were getting more restaurant surveys for WDW every year than Yelp and TripAdvisor had, combined, over their lifetimes. Something like 200K-250K per year I think.

'Ohana is currently sitting at 88% thumbs-up since re-opening (34 surveys received), which is almost exactly average for WDW sit-down places.
That's excellent, and congratulations on the exposure and traffic. Looks like I'll be updating my spreadsheet to link to you guys... thanks!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

Disney travelers don’t tend to be very good food critics…

lentesta

Premium Member
Disney travelers don’t tend to be very good food critics…

In general, I agree with what our readers have in the top 10 and bottom 10.

It's my opinion that places like Morimoto Asia, Takumi-Tei, and Jaleo are better than their reviews indicate, because enough guests go in expecting something like they'd get at their local Chinese (right?) or Mexican (right?) place they're familiar with.

The_Jobu

It's my opinion that places like Morimoto Asia, Takumi-Tei, and Jaleo are better than their reviews indicate, because enough guests go in expecting something like they'd get at their local Chinese (right?) or Mexican (right?) place they're familiar with.

Is pizzarizzo the worst?

UNCgolf

I would guess relying on customer reviews for Disney restaurants is a bit off because someone might give a place a thumbs up due to the theming or some other aspect (characters, for one) even if the food isn't good, and someone might give a thumbs down to a place with great (or at least above average) food because it isn't "Disney" enough. That would get scrubbed away to an extent if if the sample size (number of reviews) is high enough, though.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member

For me…it’s quite simple: how awesome do they think le cellier is?

also: don’t ask where to get good pizza?

“you’re in the wrong neighborhood, friend”

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I would guess relying on customer reviews for Disney restaurants is a bit off because someone might give a place a thumbs up due to the theming or some other aspect (characters, for one) even if the food isn't good, and someone might give a thumbs down to a place with great (or at least above average) food because it isn't "Disney" enough. That would get scrubbed away to an extent if if the sample size (number of reviews) is high enough, though.
In my experience the praise rarely has anything to do with the food quality or approach…

which is exactly why the “dining plan dump” went so smoothly.

they took a place that served bison, elk and other better cuts of fish and swapped it for a dwarf buffet with prime rib (known as the “roast of kings”…deposed ones)…and I bet we have fantastic reviews.

plenty of Denny’s around for less than $60 a head

TrojanUSC

I'm a bit confused... There's only two reviews post-'Ohana reopening and both are thumbs down. There's quite a few reviews for 'Ohana while it was still closed, though (but after WDW reopened), so these have no bearing on the new menu.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom