'Ohana Dinner Disappointment

TrolleyFollower91

We had a rushed meal too. The waitress seemed overworked. I thought before they had actual servers bring around meat and not the waitresses/waiters. I could be wrong on that.

I think management is pushing them too much.

I never even received a drink refill and i typically have 2-3 glasses of water.

Maybe next time we'll just get our pineapple drinks and skip dinner. Can you do that?
You can get any drink from the Tambu Lounge, right outside the restaurant. I happen to enjoy a lovely Island Sunset:)

MKCP 1985

Ohana probably deserves its knocks, but let me say this: If you are dining in a place known for contests where kids push coconuts around the floor with brooms, you probably shouldn't expect it to be on par with Victoria and Albert's, you know?

I say that, but there are probably people who think Golden Corral is fine dining because the macaroni and cheese is always warm. :)

I've never had a 5 star meal there, but I have always enjoyed the food and the experience. I can't say I've ever felt rushed, either.

DisneyDebNJ

Ohana probably deserves its knocks, but let me say this: If you are dining in a place known for contests where kids push coconuts around the floor with brooms, you probably shouldn't expect it to be on par with Victoria and Albert's, you know?

I say that, but there are probably people who think Golden Corral is fine dining because the macaroni and cheese is always warm. :)

I've never had a 5 star meal there, but I have always enjoyed the food and the experience. I can't say I've ever felt rushed, either.
I don't think anyone remotely suggested Ohana was, in any way, shape or form, a five star restaurant :) But, I think it's more of a disappointment to many, who view Ohana as a traditional family meal during vacation. Me, being one of them. Too many changes in recent years, that aren't favorable to most. It's OK for us all to remember when things were *better* foodwise as well as service wise. For the record, I'm not a fan of Golden Corral ;)

disney4life2008

I don't think anyone remotely suggested Ohana was, in any way, shape or form, a five star restaurant :) But, I think it's more of a disappointment to many, who view Ohana as a traditional family meal during vacation. Me, being one of them. Too many changes in recent years, that aren't favorable to most. It's OK for us all to remember when things were *better* foodwise as well as service wise. For the record, I'm not a fan of Golden Corral ;)

I love golden corrall and would take that over Disney restaurants everyday

CheshireCat12

I like Golden Corral too :) About the shrimp- someone mentioned they should serve peeled shrimp. From what I understand, grilling shrimp in the shell imparts more flavor and keeps the meat from getting too dried out. So maybe it's better that they're not peeled.

PAW PAW 70

Last year pork that came to our table wasn't cooked through. Not a pretty sight. They still serve it so don't know what happened to chicken.

HollyAD

Sad to hear about Ohana's. I am more likely to book dinner at Kona for our next trip! My family has been to Ohana's many times but after some of the negative reviews I have been reading, I will never go with them. For $38, I think I can get something better somewhere else on property.

dadddio

All kinds of people with all sorts of agendas come into table service dinner. Being in the NYC area we are familiar with pre-theater meals. The assumption when you are in that district and arrive for dinner at 5pm is that you are going to the theater for a 7:30pm arrival. They race to bring you everything and slam a check on your table. They don't expect you to finish, but they know their trade and part of getting a good tip and good Yelp review is giving you good food and drink and getting you out of the door on time. When you're "just visiting" and not going to the theater, you tell your server, we are taking it easy, no theater.

I think the experience of TS restaurants at WDW is similar. Some people do want to get out as quickly as possible and find the whole TS experience to be a speedbump on their vacation. Still others want to enjoy the meal. I've slowed them down at O'hana and others where our schedule was relaxed and sped them up too. Just say something. I find the servers accommodating. That said, they do plop the food on your table right away at O'hana and you can motor through it or take your time. For O'hana we prefer to be not rushed.
The other thing is that many families eating here probably include tired children who are not going to patiently sit for a relaxed meal.

DisneyDebNJ

I like Golden Corral too :) About the shrimp- someone mentioned they should serve peeled shrimp. From what I understand, grilling shrimp in the shell imparts more flavor and keeps the meat from getting too dried out. So maybe it's better that they're not peeled.
This is normally true, but depends on how it's prepared.

disney4life2008

My problem with Ohana (well disney in general) is that there is too many tiers of pricing. I understand holiday periods being more; however, weekend, weekday, disney day - its just too much. In January I think it was $40 something - I am not sure its worth it when all I really eat is the chicken wings, pot stickers, and grilled chicken.

PAW PAW 70

To save on different tier pricing try to book when DDP is free. This elimates worrying about different tiers. Hope this is helpful and it works.

stevehousse

Ok so I know everyone here had Ben griping over the loss of the chicken skewers...we will be dining at Ohana dinner for the first time this November. We have done breakfast numerous times.

I am suprised no one has mentioned anything about some of the other wdw restaurants significantly changing their menus as well...ie specifically Citricos!

They have removed the dish they have been most famous for just in the past month, the veal shank :(

Now to me, chicken is just chicken. I'm not gonna cry over it, but when a restaurant takes their star dish off the menu, that's what I have a problem with.

We were gonna eat there an I did secure an ADR, but when I checked the menu and saw that it was gone, I cancelled and switched to Yachtmans Steakhouse instead...

rob0519

The problem here is most of us remember the Disney quality of the past. If we don't eat at Ohana, fine, someone new will take our place. If we don't buy cheap, unattractive and overpriced merchandise, someone new will buy it, etc..ect....ect. There will always be someone who has never been to WDW before who will think the product is the best thing they've ever seen. It's still better than most places, just not a great as we all remember.

righttrack

Sorry if this is gross. Unpeeled shrimp means that the shrimp is not deveined. That is just gross. Proper preparation removes the shrimp's colon before eating. Nobody wants to eat shrimp poop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom