Oh no, say it ain't so, Joe..

Magicart87

No Refunds!
Premium Member
So we armchair imagineer on our podcast and my suggestion was to have the entrance to a gondola based Asian safari begin inside the track footprint of Kali. To get there they would need to make another bridge over the Kali track (roughly by the existing restrooms).
Great idea! If they can't extend Kali's track, adding a bridge crossover would at least add more visuals and possibly allow Imagineering to incorporate some makeshift waterfall or tunnel scene using that bridge as a show element. Yes, please!

Last edited:

RSoxNo1

I have to believe he was handed a lousy assignment and did what he could with it. In the case of this, yes it's over the top, but if he was told to retheme a 50 foot building and he did that, the complaints would be reduced. Tower of Terror stood out in that park from day one and was a visual intrusion to Cars Land well before it's makeover to Mission Breakout. Aesthetics aside, Mission Breakout is also a better ride than DCA's Tower.

RSoxNo1

Just an opinion...

But I think “the oasis” was a mistake from the start...like early 1998 before the park was open to the public kinda mistake.

The grade up and down from the gates was unnecessary. I get they were going for a “grand reveal”...but when you can see 3/4 of the damn tree from the parking lot...and Osceola parkway...it just became unnecessary.

And hence it’s a choke point. DAK’s modified “spoke” pattern doesn’t quite work either...the area around the tree is too big and no development between Asia and dinoland made it ineffective at the time.

The park might just be a tad too big. And not enough obvious flow such as Epcot or the magic kingdom.
While I like the Oasis entrance, I can kind of see your point here. I'm not sure what the answer would be as there were several entrance proposals outlined in Joe's wife's book about the making of the Animal Kingdom. I still believe they should have animals upon entering the park, but perhaps done a bit differently. Perhaps keep with the two main paths, but have the center section be a large exhibit as well instead of the ability to criss/cross.

As for the gradient aspect of it, I'm not sure if there's a functional purpose to that. At castle parks there's a slight grade down that serves the purpose of "speeding you up" as you enter and "slowing you down" as you leave.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Wait...people don't like Animal Kingdom? :oops:

That park is pure gold.
Some people don’t like it...most Disney fans do.

But...and this is where we never can all agree...it costs waaayyyyy too much to operate each day and it’s been a disappointment as compared to the costs/goals of the park when it was conceived and built.

It’s not all on the park or the designers though...old Mikey didn’t realize where was an invisible 7 day barrier on most travel. It was a legitimate mistake...but one that could have been anticipated.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The meandering walkways and other decisions based on making you feel like you’re on an adventure only work in WDI Theoretical Happy World Land where there are no crowds and no rush to get to FP or dining reservations. ;)

This is one of those things Eddie Sotto, Tony Baxter, Tim Delaney, and others got incredibly right at DLP.

Not quite .........as proven by some testimony here it works for guests, too.
There is a battalion of ardent DAK defenders that really have made approval of the layout to seem much higher than it probably is with the whole customer base.

I love DAK...but I think Tirian is more right than wrong here.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom